• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nhl.com/news/calder-trophy-tracker-clayton-keller-top-rookie/c-293151840

Keller dominating Calder Trophy field

A panel of 18 NHL.com staff members voted for the winners of each major award after the first quarter of the season. Keller was the unanimous choice as NHL rookie of the year, named No. 1 on all 18 ballots

Uhhh

Keller is awesome and obviously a Calder favourite, but how is it that not one NHL.com panelist favours Boeser who has a better PPG in less TOI, or Barzal who has more points

Featured: someone not understanding sarcasm.

Leafs "content person's" attempts at using Reddit posters for laughs are incredible

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad the Nylander one was not being serious.

Gudbranson for Liljegren plus picks is pretty good too though.

Oct 25, 2017
Really though.....its ~20 games into the season. It doesnt matter right now.
Arguably it never matters*. I'm just perplexed by the unanimity. And yes I'm implying it has something to do with the NHL's predilection for and anxiety about Arizona. Not to mention an American superstar (?) playing in Arizona who could use some tire pumping. Maybe my favourite part of the article is:

A few media outlets have even nicknamed him, "Clayton Calder."
Google Clayton Calder. Most of the results are obituaries for old dead guys named Clayton Calder. The only results for hockey "media outlets" are the Coyotes broadcasters and.... NHL.com...referencing the Coyotes broadcasters.

*Would love for Boeser to get the recognition, but ultimately it's as meaningful as a Presidents Trophy

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
Who's that? No such individual in the Leafs organization.

giphy.gif

heeeey that was supposed to be my new avatar, you stole it >:(

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Douche-ain 0 points and -6 in 5 games as a SNES?

Stats don't look good, but it will take him a while to adjust to this weird ass system we got here. You can see the chemistry isn't there and lack of coercion with his line mates. Same shit happened with Brassard last season, I give him a couple of more weeks than I'll start hyperventilating. At least the top 10 pick is protected :|

Also where the fuck is Chabottsson and White. Enough of this Oduya bullshit experiment, we already have Ceci to deal with.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
'Lack of coercion' is what's holding back Duchene? What kind of monster did the Avs create here?

The problem with Gudbranson is, from what I can tell, that he really sucks. Bad corsis, no offensive skill to speak of. I could see him being moved for a depth-depth guy like Marincin, maybe?

19 & 21

Oct 25, 2017
Duchene created himself. Like I said when the trade went down, he has issues with consistency. He's never a bad player, just a very predictable one.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stats don't look good, but it will take him a while to adjust to this weird ass system we got here. You can see the chemistry isn't there and lack of coercion with his line mates. Same shit happened with Brassard last season, I give him a couple of more weeks than I'll start hyperventilating. At least the top 10 pick is protected :|

Also where the fuck is Chabottsson and White. Enough of this Oduya bullshit experiment, we already have Ceci to deal with.
Is there a status update on Boro? If he's out again, they may finally have no choice but to call up Chabot.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt say it was the avs fault, I just notice that he sometimes gets lost on the ice out there, same thing I saw from Brassard last year. For example I keep seeing him go way too deep in the defensive zone to cover a guy and it's throwing off our already confused Dcore, especially Oduya and Ceci. I believe it's a combination of his lack of understanding this system, his teammates, he's trying to do too much of showing his coach he is defensively responsible and wants to put a good impression, and also like 19&21 said lack of consistency.

We'll see how it goes, this coach has his head up his ass this year.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Has Oduya been that bad?

He takes 2 years to process a play even without any type of pressure, and he still manages to hold the puck of so long until someone checks him and steals it from him.

It's like he has the Ceciitus, they are addicted of getting hemmed in their own zone running around the goalie like a headless chicken dicks chasing the puck and accomplishing nothing.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the "hope Carey is healthy and a god out there to save our season" strategy. I've seen that one a few too many times.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Last year it took 95 points to make the playoffs in the east. To reach that point, the Habs would need to go 35-19-7 the rest of the way. I don't think that's possible even with a healthy Price.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Arguably it never matters*. I'm just perplexed by the unanimity. And yes I'm implying it has something to do with the NHL's predilection for and anxiety about Arizona. Not to mention an American superstar (?) playing in Arizona who could use some tire pumping. Maybe my favourite part of the article is:

Google Clayton Calder. Most of the results are obituaries for old dead guys named Clayton Calder. The only results for hockey "media outlets" are the Coyotes broadcasters and.... NHL.com...referencing the Coyotes broadcasters.

*Would love for Boeser to get the recognition, but ultimately it's as meaningful as a Presidents Trophy
Way to downplay the finest achievement in Canucks history.

2011presidentstrophydrawing.jpg

Raytheon

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows the President's Trophy is the real marker of a true winner. The Stanley Cup doesn't matter. Nope.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure a rusty #5 d-man coming off injury and a goalie who can't stop a beach ball coming off injury will save our season!

Manics

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Last year it took 95 points to make the playoffs in the east. To reach that point, the Habs would need to go 35-19-7 the rest of the way. I don't think that's possible even with a healthy Price.

I think it's unlikely too but weirder things have happened. That record looks unattainable unless they go on a crazy win streak and reel off like 9-10 in a row like they've done in seasons past.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nhl.com/news/calder-trophy-tracker-clayton-keller-top-rookie/c-293151840

Keller dominating Calder Trophy field

Uhhh

Keller is awesome and obviously a Calder favourite, but how is it that not one NHL.com panelist favours Boeser who has a better PPG in less TOI, or Barzal who has more points
Yeah, this is weird. I would've thought Boeser and Barzal got a few more nods. Also, I expected Jesper Bratt, Kerfoot, and Will Butcher to be higher too. Boeser, Barzal, and Keller were all 1st round picks and I expect them to play well but the others were taken 5th or 6th round and have managed to stay in the scoring race.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Andersen had two shutouts and I STILL won the save-% fantasy matchup? All hail Gibson and his 50 saves yesterday

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
The entire ending or just the fact that they gave us nothing but 'uhhh the upside down is still there! Scary!' as a final shot?

I guess the whole build up to finally take on the Demispider monster only for 11 to close some type of door, and ooooh its still there in the upside down world scary! it just felt like the whole season built up to fighting the spider but nope, they just fought demidogs and that's it.

I liked the 2nd season a lot more than the first until that point, knowing that the ending was a just a cop out for season 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.