• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kotkaniemi is the only choice that makes sense for the state of our franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Hughes was the better pick. He'd have been a tremendous partner for Weber, at the very least.

But yeah, I'd be happy with Kotka or Zadina.

If it's Tkachuk or it's a trade, well... I guess I'd tell all my friends to cancel their season tickets, but they did it already.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fun fact: A Koopy Sandwich is a item from Omikron, a game made by David Cage and David..Bowie. It's one of the the worst games I've ever seen.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even as a Sabres fan, I'd laugh so hard if something changed and Buffalo backed out, and this tweet would highlight how insane some people are

Syrinx

Oct 25, 2017
Canes have been quiet so far with all the guys they have that could/will be traded. Wonder when the wheels start turning.

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to cancel my habs season tickets but my rep left me until after the draft and free agency. I'll check after that because right now after the chucky trade, I just dont see it.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
BqokagE.jpg

My god I wish we had our 29th pick if only to roll the dice on Merkley, even though he really does seem like the guy who will make the news in 5 years after he gets cut from his Swiss team for arguing with the coach during a game.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
The replies to this lol. I have never seen this fanbase this pissed off before. And Karlsson still hadn't been traded yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see games next season with Florida/Arizona level of attendance. 6-8K.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how that Hoffman deal went down, since Dorion was instructed not to talk to teams in his own division. Did Tallon put out a signal for help, and Wilson scooped it up? Or did Wilson let divisional GMs know he would work the trade as a go-between?

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Merkley seems to have a lot of defensive faults, but if he's still there at 25, I think Leafs have to take him.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
My god I wish we had our 29th pick if only to roll the dice on Merkley, even though he really does seem like the guy who will make the news in 5 years after he gets cut from his Swiss team for arguing with the coach during a game.

Who's a comparable to Merkley?

I can't recall a guy who was talked about as being a Top 3-5 pick, but sank this low because of 'intangibles'.

Deleted member 643

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how that Hoffman deal went down, since Dorion was instructed not to talk to teams in his own division. Did Tallon put out a signal for help, and Wilson scooped it up? Or did Wilson let divisional GMs know he would work the trade as a go-between?
Apparently Wilson was calling people.

I don't know how Dorion gets over this because that trade was straight up disrespect by Wilson lol

Yawnier

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly expecting to lose him to waivers at the beginning of the year.
Still don't know what Dubas is going to do with the goalie logjam. Backup goalies don't have a ton of value and there isn't a big market for them, tho if I had to guess he'll sell high-ish on McBackup for like a 4th or 5th round pick and let Sparks and Pickard fight for the backup spot in camp.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
Wilson didn't disrespect Dorion. This entire notion in hockey that there are these unwritten trade/signing rules that must be adhered to is stupid.

For every reason one might have to dislike Merkley, there's an equally valid reason to like him. Despite coming with the "risky pick" label, Merkley carries an expected likelihood of success of 66% via the prospect Graduation Probabilities System (pGPS), which would actually make him one of the safest picks of the draft from a statistical standpoint.

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/06/12/canucksarmys-2018-nhl-draft-rankings-16-ryan-merkley/

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Who's a comparable to Merkley?

I can't recall a guy who was talked about as being a Top 3-5 pick, but sank this low because of 'intangibles'.

Hmm it's harder to remember who fell due to off-ice issues but were still *that* high based solely on talent. Back in the 90's the Habs drafted Terry Ryan (Riley?) in the top 10 despite his rep as a kid with a bad attitude and he disappeared in a cloud of nothing largely because he was uncoachable but I'm not sure he slipped at all.

Very recently Ho-Sang and Daniel Sprong were both touted as top 5 talents but fell in large part due to intangibles, but it's too early to say for sure if they'll be top 6 NHLers (which is what you'd expect based on their talent levels).

Angelo Esposito maybe? He definitely fell based at least partially on his attitude but I think his career was derailed by injuries.

Oh wait, Rob Schremp is the guy I used to consider exhibit A when it came to pre-draft worries about "intangibles" actually coming true. He was definitely one of the more talented guys in his draft year but fell because of concerns about his all around game and willingness to accept coaching. And sure enough he was a part time NHLer who clashed with his coaches and got claimed off waivers a few times.

There's always a bit of translation required when you hear scouts talk about "off-ice issues", because sometimes they mean a guy is just a prick and his coach/teaammates hate him and sometimes they mean he has no discipline or can't stay out of trouble outside the rink. Then you have to wonder if it's just a partying phase that a young guy will grow out of if his coaches or agent yell at him enough or if he has a budding substance abuse problem, because there are plenty of those sad examples too.

Yawnier

Oct 25, 2017
Merkley is going to absolutely wreck the Italian league 5 years from now along with DeAngelo and Ho-Sang

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I did not say any such thing. I said he was one of the most talented players in the draft... first overall potential.

Not all top draft selections are the same, nor do they always translate

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the rankings and I didn't realize Merkley had fallen so far. Maybe he's a possibility at 25.

I dunno if having a "bad attitude" at 17 years old is really a death sentence for a players career. He's a kid with some growing up to do. He wouldn't be in a pro league for another 2 or 3 years and people change a lot from 17-19 or 20. I have a feeling whoever gives him a chance will be glad they did.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone expand on Merkleys "attitude " (copyright Marc Bergevin)?

No one seems to go into detail. I saw the stick swinging incident but that's all.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the rankings and I didn't realize Merkley had fallen so far. Maybe he's a possibility at 25.

I dunno if having a "bad attitude" at 17 years old is really a death sentence for a players career. He's a kid with some growing up to do. He wouldn't be in a pro league for another 2 or 3 years and people change a lot from 17-19 or 20. I have a feeling whoever gives him a chance will be glad they did.

The one thing that helps is he's a defenseman and they are mostly put on the back burner

Oct 25, 2017
Timmins was on TSN 690:

- jizzed over Kotkaniemi
- had some pre-cum for Tkachuk
- was flaccid on Hughes; said he doesn't think he'll be able to defend in the NHL
CanucksArmy:

Some people might look at Hughes' small stature and reputation as a dynamic offensive player and assume he has deficiencies on the defensive side of the game. They would be wrong. While his occasional turnovers make him riskier in the neutral zone than his peers and his small frame can result in struggles to win puck battles at times, Hughes' defending is excellent. His speed makes him a tenacious and dedicated backchecker, and he has an active stick which he uses to break up passing plays. As you might expect, his speed and puck skills also mean that once he regains possession, the puck doesn't stay in his own zone for long.
He seems to be pretty divisive. A fancy stats darling, but some NHL scouts have the traditional concerns about defending while small.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017

No one seems to go into detail. I saw the stick swinging incident but that's all.

The most "detailed" I have seen is that sometimes he ignores coach directions to do his own thing, he doesn't pay much attention to the defensive zone, and he can get overly emotional (mad) on the ice at times.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

Apparently he's really hard on his teammates/treats them like shit, doesn't pay attention to coaching instructions (aka defense and plays) and I heard a rumor the other day that there's some kind of issue surrounding him like Hoffman, but the person who said that didn't clarify.... just said they were surprised this stuff hasn't hit the public sphere yet.

You take him and you're banking on his skill and those issues resolving in time. A lot of kids don't see or understand the stuff they're doing until they're a bit older... but then there's some that just never figure out how to fix their problems.

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The most "detailed" I have seen is that sometimes he ignores coach directions to do his own thing, he doesn't pay much attention to the defensive zone, and he can get overly emotional (mad) on the ice at times.

That.....doesn't sound that bad? All things that will come with maturity/pro coaching?

calder

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, maybe.

Merkley is going to absolutely wreck the Italian league 5 years from now along with DeAngelo and Ho-Sang

Also very possible. And that uncertainty alone is more than enough to knock a guy out of the top half of the first round when you expect to get, at least, usable NHL talent.

It's just easy to forget the guys who had top 10 talent and had some issue that maybe held them back and then they end up playing for Zurich and you see them at the Spengler Cup and wonder why their name is kinda familiar.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I did not say any such thing. I said he was one of the most talented players in the draft... first overall potential.

I can PM you the link if you like.

Nah, teams will draft character over skill... shit happened with grigorenko... look at how far he fell!

I'd take him because he's as talented as McDavid. Skill can't be taught, but you CAN make a person humble.

He's the only player in the draft likely to be a franchise player, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.