• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ahhhhhhhhhhh fucckkk the leaffsssss

DbrXU2wV0AEBSDE.jpg

4 straight 1st round playoff losses for the greatest coach ever and the laffs got him for another 6 years. Fucking Guy Boucher has more playoff series wins in the last 5 years and he's been in some fucking Scandinavian country for majority of that time. The following garbage fired/ garbage ass coaches have more playoff series wins in the last 5 years, Boucher, Maclean, Clouston, Cameron, also Carlyle. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The greatest rebuild ever!!!

Multiple top 5 picks, shady ass cap circumvention and LTIR moves that are "completely legal, just read the CBA bro!!", and endless financial resources and all you got to show for it is a couple of first round exits and Roman Polak, Hainsey and Ztseiif as your top 4? hahahahahaahahahahahaha.

The Melnickel's snes beat this fuckboy team just a year ago in 6 games, and the dude that sealed that series was my lieeeeegggeee.

macarthur-overtime.gif

Maybe you guys need a playoff performer like My lieeeegggeee.

#actuallygood

Canada's team my ass.

Can't believe a market like Toronto can't sell out any round 2 tickets.

Dbg0VwbV0AAmKOu.jpg

Eat my shit nuggets bitches. Today is a great day.

Into my veeeeiiiinnnnsss

19 & 21

Oct 25, 2017
Babcock triggers the fans and players!

Babcock extended.

Here's 25 reasons why the leafs actually won the series and why they'll win it all next year.

Here's 25 reasons why the leafs are better than you think.

Should Toronto go after Gallant?
Because we're signing Tavares?
You're like a chihuahua who thinks shitting on the carpet is how you get treats. Who did this to you?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Babcock triggers the fans and players!

Babcock extended.

Here's 25 reasons why the leafs actually won the series and why they'll win it all next year.

Here's 25 reasons why the leafs are better than you think.

Should Toronto go after Gallant?
Why Toronto's 1st round exit is actually the most devastating loss in the modern sports era.

Last edited:

Yawnier

Oct 25, 2017
From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

Lamoriello signed a three-year contract as GM, but there is a provision for two extra years in some kind of advisory role. Shanahan doesn't have to do it that way. He can choose to keep the status quo.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I was shocked at how Kypreos and others (but especially Kipper) are talking about big big changes for the Leafs. Not just basically all the FA's leaving but Lou gone and maybe Gardiner as well.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Someone teach me how to watch basketball so I can enjoy the most fun league in sports.

Like The Ringer's NBA Desktop is the greatest thing and I look forward to each one and I don't even know who Jason's talking about.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm rooting for the Jets so root for the 76ers

So watch the 76ers and look at Joel Embiids Twitter and then boom. 6ers fan

Yawnier

Oct 25, 2017
I was shocked at how Kypreos and others (but especially Kipper) are talking about big big changes for the Leafs. Not just basically all the FA's leaving but Lou gone and maybe Gardiner as well.
Tbh I feel like Kypreos is just shooting the shit a lot of the time to what I've listened to him on HC @ noon. Like when he suggested trading Marner for Darnell Nurse early in the season and pissed off everybody doing so. No doubt he has inside sources with other teams in the league (ex. first to break the Subban trade) but I'm doubtful he has any inside scoops on the leafs right now with the Lou lockdown.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm rooting for the Jets so root for the 76ers

So watch the 76ers and look at Joel Embiids Twitter and then boom. 6ers fan

Huh that's... not that crazy? I know about The Process from existing on the internet and everyone knows Embiid is both uniquely good and bizarrely endearing off the court.

You know what, I accept. I will watch their next game. I even like it when sports teams are named after numbers, that's always a bit refreshing. Ok, one hiccup here, I looked up the 76ers on Wikipedia to find out why they are named that and no one ever explains it. So I follow a link to the actual team's page and it tells me this:

Have you ever wondered how the Philadelphia 76ers got their name?

The NBA franchise actually began in 1949, when six teams from
the midwest-based National Basketball League joined the Basketball
Association of America to form the 17 team National Basketball
Association. One of those teams was the Syracuse Nationals, which
eventually became the Philadelphia 76ers.

In the spring of 1963, the Syracuse Nationals were purchased by
two Philadelpians, Irv Kosloff and Ike Richman, and the NBA
approved the franchise shift formally on May 22.

The franchise then held a contest to name the club and on August
6, 1963, the Nationals changed their name. The late Walt Stahlberg,
of West Collingswood, New Jersey, won the contest, of which 500
different suggestions were entered.

Stahlberg was one of several who picked the 76ers. However, his
accompanying 25-word explanation was deemed the best by the judges,
and he and his wife received an all-expense trip to the West Coast
to see the newly-named 76ers play San Francisco.
Uhm, yes I do wonder how they got their name, that's why I'm on this page and I can't help but notice you're not answering the actual question. So there was a contest, great, several peeps said 76ers, got it but one dude had the best accompanying explanation... BUT WHAT IS IT. WHAT DOES 76ER MEAN. Is it just something related to the city that I should know? Why am I here if not to have you tell me what that is you stupid website!

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get into basketball, but it's incredibly boring.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get into basketball, but it's incredibly boring.

Yeah I worry about that, growing up as a hockey fan most other sports feel slow in some way or other. The rhythm of dudes running back and forth feels off but I'll give it a shot. If nothing else it'll be good to have a backup plan for the next NHL lockout

Oct 27, 2017
Huh that's... not that crazy? I know about The Process from existing on the internet and everyone knows Embiid is both uniquely good and bizarrely endearing off the court.

You know what, I accept. I will watch their next game. I even like it when sports teams are named after numbers, that's always a bit refreshing. Ok, one hiccup here, I looked up the 76ers on Wikipedia to find out why they are named that and no one ever explains it. So I follow a link to the actual team's page and it tells me this:

Uhm, yes I do wonder how they got their name, that's why I'm on this page and I can't help but notice you're not answering the actual question. So there was a contest, great, several peeps said 76ers, got it but one dude had the best accompanying explanation... BUT WHAT IS IT. WHAT DOES 76ER MEAN. Is it just something related to the city that I should know? Why am I here if not to have you tell me what that is you stupid website!

Dude, I'm a French Canadian and I know this. Philadelphia... 1776... You gotta know that.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I worry about that, growing up as a hockey fan most other sports feel slow in some way or other. The rhythm of dudes running back and forth feels off but I'll give it a shot. If nothing else it'll be good to have a backup plan for the next NHL lockout
Basketball is terrible to watch. I just won't watch any sports during the next lockout....except baseball until the World Series is over.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I like baseball, but only because I grew up watching it and there's emotional investment. There's also something about the uniqueness of each park and the atmosphere that adds to the experience. Baseball is certainly slow had I not grown up with it alongside hockey I probably couldn't get into it.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017

It's a reference to the year the U.S. claimed independence from Britain (1776). Philadelphia was also the original national capital until Washington D.C. getting built sometime afterwards.

Now how the team got named after relocating from Syracuse, beats me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Despite all his success, and the fact that he was named the best player in the SHL playoffs, Pettersson isn't being named as a lock to be on Sweden's world championship team. In an interview with Rick Dhaliwal, who is with Sportsnet 650 and News 1130, the national team's coach, Rikard Grönborg, suggested Pettersson is in a battle for a job with another 19-year-old. That would be Lias Andersson, who was the New York Rangers' first-round pick in 2017.
@MetatronM I feel like these two will forever be compared.

Drafted alongside one another. Andersson given better linemates in the juniors and the captaincy. SIHF seems to like Andersson more. Less flash, more grit and hard-nosed play. I wouldn't be surprised if he eeks out Pettersson, but at least Pettersson has a chance to prove himself in a few warm-up (?) games. He definitely has an opportunity to make the decision for them, but he's got to stand out.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I like baseball, but only because I grew up watching it and there's emotional investment. There's also something about the uniqueness of each park and the atmosphere that adds to the experience. Baseball is certainly slow had I not grown up with it alongside hockey I probably couldn't get into it.
Baseball is amazing. I have a goal of getting to all 30 MLB parks in the next 4-5 years. Im going to 7 new ones this year alone. Lol

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It's a reference to the year the U.S. claimed independence from Britain (1776). Philadelphia was also the original national capital until Washington D.C. built sometime afterwards.

Now how the team got named after relocating from Syracuse, beats me.

Ahhhh that explains why whoever made that page thought it was so obvious they never bothered explaining it on a page explicitly about explaining how they got their name. Also, props to Philadelphia for the power move of claiming the birthdate of the entire nation as your own team's nickname.

Basketball is terrible to watch. I just won't watch any sports during the next lockout....except baseball until the World Series is over.

I also like baseball and oddly I do find the extreme slowness of it doesn't bother me. Having dudes standing around is somehow less dull than dudes jogging around for some reason.

Dude, I'm a French Canadian and I know this. Philadelphia... 1776... You gotta know that.
I ain't gotta know shit!
(I assumed it was related to the city and honestly wasn't thinking about 1776 lol)

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I also like baseball and oddly I do find the extreme slowness of it doesn't bother me. Having dudes standing around is somehow less dull than dudes jogging around for some reason.
Its because theres a ton of standing around in basketball too. Dudes standing there watching a guy dribble, free throws, 300 time out, etc.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I've got tickets for Infinity War tonight at 8. But I spent the afternoon by the lake and just in nature. It's really nice today.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
@MetatronM I feel like these two will forever be compared.

Drafted alongside one another. Andersson given better linemates in the juniors and the captaincy. SIHF seems to like Andersson more. Less flash, more grit and hard-nosed play. I wouldn't be surprised if he eeks out Pettersson, but at least Pettersson has a chance to prove himself in a few warm-up (?) games. He definitely has an opportunity to make the decision for them, but he's got to stand out.
It seems that way. Lias has been playing with the big boy Sweden squad throughout most of their WC warmups since the season ended, and he's got Mika Zibanejad on the team with him (in fact they were on the top line together today), so his prospects of staying there look pretty good.

I would be surprised if it's a "one or the other" situation with them for Sweden, though. It seems like a no-brainer to bring Pettersson. It seems like a no-brainer to bring Andersson.

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

Ironically I've recently discovered I like baseball, the slowest sport of all. I agree about basketball though, I can't handle watching more than one quarter of a game at a time.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that way. Lias has been playing with the big boy Sweden squad throughout most of their WC warmups since the season ended, and he's got Mika Zibanejad on the team with him (in fact they were on the top line together today), so his prospects of staying there look pretty good.

I would be surprised if it's a "one or the other" situation with them for Sweden, though. It seems like a no-brainer to bring Pettersson. It seems like a no-brainer to bring Andersson.

Agreed. Maybe Grönborg just wants to manage the kids.

MultiJhonny

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

We most likely play the Celtics next round so you can root against a Boston team. Makes it easier.

But yeah, 76er is a ploy to 1776. Ben Franklin is one of the alt logos.

i

OP
OP
Solo

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It just goes to show, especially with player peak production age getting younger and younger (I think 24 is basically the average peak age now), that teams' windows are getting smaller and smaller before the need comes to rebuild/retool. Leafs made no advancement this season over last. Now I'm not saying blow it up, but I think if the similar scenario plays out again next year then yeah, big changes will be coming.

Its crazy but most teams have only like a 3 year window max of being legit contenders.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was interesting that Babcock wanted Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski but got Marner instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.