ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Think the Avs have a better chance against Dallas, so I'm okay with the outcome. All depends on which goalie shows up.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I hope avs stars goes 7 long games. Don't care who wins as long as it's entertaining and the winner gets some good wear n tear.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Good riddance to that VGK mustard colour.
bruins_jerseylaunch_imagery_2568x1444.jpg

Huh.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
My picks for round 2, which are based entirely on which former Sharks are still playing and/or which teams I hate the least:

Vancouver over the evil Oilers
Pavelski over the Avs
Burns over the Rangers
Florida I guess over Boston?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Gee, the venom to Vegas, makes you guys think they kicked your puppy. They weren't the only team to play the cap either.

Nucks
Avs
Rangers
Panthers
The Avs are not over the cap and Landeskog missed two years in a row. Francouz is retired.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
23 out of 24 ESPN writers/correspondants have the Oilers beating the Canucks. Betting odds have it at Nucks +220, Oilers -260. Basically 25% odds of winning.

I feel like nobody is respecting the Canucks play. EDM is an offensive and PP beast but their D is beatable and their goalie can go cold.

I feel like if Miller can contain McDavid (thus Hyman) and Lindholm can contain Dreisatl, which is definitely possible and has been shown before with both Lindholm playing in Calgary against them a lot and Miller having taken his play to the next level. Then we have a window to do well if Petterson shows up this series because he should only have to worry about the 3rd or 4th line who don't play the type of solid D that Nashville plays.

In fact, the way our team plays, I actually think we pair better against the Oilers than we would the Kings or as we did against the Preds. There should be some open ice for Hughes and Petterson this series.

If Miller struggles against McDavid, or Lindholm struggles against Dreisatl, then yeah, moot point, going to get destroyed, especially on PP.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
23 out of 24 ESPN writers/correspondants have the Oilers beating the Canucks. Betting odds have it at Nucks +220, Oilers -260. Basically 25% odds of winning.

I feel like nobody is respecting the Canucks play. EDM is an offensive and PP beast but their D is beatable and their goalie can go cold.

I feel like if Miller can contain McDavid (thus Hyman) and Lindholm can contain Dreisatl, which is definitely possible and has been shown before with both Lindholm playing in Calgary against them a lot and Miller having taken his play to the next level. Then we have a window to do well if Petterson shows up this series because he should only have to worry about the 3rd or 4th line who don't play the type of solid D that Nashville plays.

In fact, the way our team plays, I actually think we pair better against the Oilers than we would the Kings or as we did against the Preds. There should be some open ice for Hughes and Petterson this series.

If Miller struggles against McDavid, or Lindholm struggles against Dreisatl, then yeah, moot point, going to get destroyed, especially on PP.

You forgot that Demko is banged up still. Unless he's suddenly healthy, most people are picking the Oilers because it's a big ask to have your 2nd or 3rd string goalie keep the Oilers under control for 4-7 games.

Defense is, of course, Vancouver's strong suit, but McDavid by himself can break team defense if he wants to, so we shall see.

But yea, most of the voting there is about goaltending.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect the Oilers are going to receive less PP this series. The Kings were outmatched at times and some penalties were on complete boneheaded plays from PLD.

If the Canucks are able to do what they did this year, use Hughes and Hronek to get shots and tips to the net and find seams for open shots they'll keep scoring against the Oilers. Skinner is still slow. But McDavid wasn't healthy against the Canucks in any meeting, and I don't know how some of the Canucks are going to handle less calls, like EP who can never stay on his skates.

For me, I hope Edmonton finds some tape on Svilovs, I have a hard time hating Latvian goaltenders being a 90s kid and witnessing Artus Irbe but I hope the Oilers light him up before Demko gets back.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
You forgot that Demko is banged up still. Unless he's suddenly healthy, most people are picking the Oilers because it's a big ask to have your 2nd or 3rd string goalie keep the Oilers under control for 4-7 games.

Defense is, of course, Vancouver's strong suit, but McDavid by himself can break team defense if he wants to, so we shall see.

Well some good news this morning. Demko apparently has had good progress and may be available sometime during this series. But that's fair. Silovs has looked pretty good but we'll have to see him tested shortly.

You know who's the biggest impact for goaltending though in Vancouver over even Demko? Ian Clarke, our goalie coach. Don't sleep on him. He turned Markstrom and Demko into legendary goaltenders. You can often see the impact of Ian Clarke when incredible goalies in Vancouver leave (like Schneider) and they all backslide. He may be able to get something more out of Silovs for the couple of games, maybe allowing us to get a win or two over 3-4 games, and then we get Demko back to stand on his head.

But yeah, fair point, the more likely case is Edmonton exposes an AHL goaltender. But I'm trying to take glass full stance here.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Oilers destroyed the Kings on the powerplay and that was all that mattered. They were even at 5-on-5 GF/GA in that series. Just so happens that 5-on-5 is where Vancouver shines. That's going to be the story of the series.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
If the B's get their asses whooped by Tkachuk and the Panthers for two years in a row I'm going to eat drywall

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's only one team I don't want winning it all. I won't say who cause I'll jinx it and they'll win. It's a team from the States.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Swayman kept em in it at times too. Good game by him. Not that Bob has been terrible or anything. Probably shouldn't say anything else about the outcome or i'll look silly in 20 minutes incase the Cats roar back.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Think the Avs have a better chance against Dallas, so I'm okay with the outcome. All depends on which goalie shows up.

Don't feel good at all about that series, Dallas is the deepest team in the playoffs and DeBoer is undefeated against the Avs in the playoffs. Gotta solve his ability to smother the way the Avs play.