Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to think if Edmonton had any other goalie than Skinner it could be 3-0 in the series. Canucks goalie is playing great. Edmonton the better overall game but Canucks capitalized on all their chances.

Series isn't over but I don't know what you do with Skinner. Team can't trust him to make a save. He's done as an Oiler if he blows it in game 4 or do they put Pickard in? Fuck if I know. Holland really fucked this window up with Campbell and then putting all his cards in on Skinner.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
It is an Oculus Quest lol

GG Canucks. Silovs played well and the team did a good job protecting the house. Wasn't a lot of 2nd chances. Can't be upset with my teams effort. On to game 4.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to think if Edmonton had any other goalie than Skinner it could be 3-0 in the series. Canucks goalie is playing great. Edmonton the better overall game but Canucks capitalized on all their chances.
I disagree that Skinner was to blame tonight. The Canucks had better chances and better shooting in the first two periods. A tip, a net front goal, and two good slot chances from Boeser. Oilers had some soft shots in comparison and Silovs didn't need to do much. Then in the 3rd the Canucks collapsed inward and just tried to survive. Silovs was solid, though, and made a couple great saves.

MVP for the Oilers has to be Ian Cole. Is it 3 or 4 goals now that have gone in directly off him?

I feel like Pickard is probably as good as Skinner? Neither being great options, but generally good enough when you've got McDavid and Draisatl. Who starts Game 4?

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree that Skinner was to blame tonight. The Canucks had better chances and better shooting in the first two periods. A tip, a net front goal, and two good slot chances from Boeser. Oilers had some soft shots in comparison and Silovs didn't need to do much. Then in the 3rd the Canucks collapsed inward and just tried to survive. Silovs was solid, though, and made a couple great saves.

MVP for the Oilers has to be Ian Cole. Is it 3 or 4 goals now that have gone in directly off him?

I feel like Pickard is probably as good as Skinner? Neither being great options, but generally good enough when you've got McDavid and Draisatl. Who starts Game 4?
I don't want to go with Pickard but I don't think they can go with Stu.

I don't blame Skinner for any of the 4 goals but you need him to make 1 of those saves. He's awful right now, doesn't matter if those were grade A chances. Same song and dance against the Knights last year.

He's in his head again imo. He said he worked with a sport psychologist over the offseason but he's doing the same things, getting too deep in his net, not challenging the shoot or reading the play well. He's just out of it at times it seems prime example with the trapezoid penalty in game 1(maybe 2? its late), he doesn't have the mental toughness I don't think. That's why I'm saying Dan Cloutier, I hope he proves me wrong!

Knoblauch seems clever, he left Skinner with a simple message with the press and some motivation saying, "we need saves". I think that means Ride or Die with Stu.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to go with Pickard but I don't think they can go with Stu.

I don't blame Skinner for any of the 4 goals but you need him to make 1 of those saves. He's awful right now, doesn't matter if those were grade A chances. Same song and dance against the Knights last year.

He's in his head again imo. He said he worked with a sport psychologist over the offseason but he's doing the same things, getting too deep in his net, not challenging the shoot or reading the play well. He's just out of it at times it seems prime example with the trapezoid penalty in game 1(maybe 2? its late), he doesn't have the mental toughness I don't think. That's why I'm saying Dan Cloutier, I hope he proves me wrong!

Knoblauch seems clever, he left Skinner with a simple message with the press and some motivation saying, "we need saves". I think that means Ride or Die with Stu.
I don't know anything about anything, but your coach saying that combined with Skinner specifically not being made available for media availability doesn't feel like things are going well with him. Personally, I think your team left him out to dry a bit too much sometimes. That goal by Boeser was him having all the time in the world in front of the net and picking a corner to shoot. That's cray!

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know anything about anything, but your coach saying that combined with Skinner specifically not being made available for media availability doesn't feel like things are going well with him. Personally, I think your team left him out to dry a bit too much sometimes. That goal by Boeser was him having all the time in the world in front of the net and picking a corner to shoot. That's cray!
Oh they blew coverage on 2 of the 3 goals in the first and Foegele needs to sit, if they had the depth to sit him. But Skinner is ongoing for 3 games now. His save % is below 800 in all 3 games. I don't know what else to say. You can't win games with those numbers.

Knob either puts the season on skinner's already unstable shoulders or puts Pickard in. Don't like either's chances tbh. Just for fun if Oilers lose game 4, call up Campbell. Lets send Holland off to retirement the right way with his full roster.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Man Canucks getting no respect even when up by 1. Bad strategy but being up 2 goals (both going into 2nd and 3rd) they played super conservative, thus why shot totals are reflective. They also play a very defensive game in front of their non-Demko goalies, you can see the shot total difference when Demko is playing vs not.

Also had the lead in Game 2 and played that same strategy as the Oilers turned up the heat, and it cost them in that game (and Ian Cole cost us, if Soucy isn't suspended I think we should bench Cole for Juulsen) I would love to see them play a bit more aggressive and keep up the same play as they do in the first. But even still, out of all those shots in the latter part of the 3rd, only 1 of them ended up being a high danger chance. They are stopping the cross-seam and letting the Oilers take the direct shots.

Now with all that said, I recognise the offensive power of the Oilers. They are an insanely good team and have the best player in the league and the 3rd to 4th best player in the league (I think MacKinnon is better than Driesatl). But the Oilers problem isn't just goaltending. Their D is weak. Their depth scoring is weak. They are a beatable team. We play a very structured game. And also while the Oilers are suffering due to Skinner playing bad, our best player (Petey) is also playing bad and our 2nd best player is injured. We got excuses too, we're just not making them.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I don't 100% disagree with Richie rich here. I already said oilers need depth scoringa couple days so and we all know nurse ceci is shit pairing but they werent responsible for the goals last night.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, Canucks are also doing a good job neutralising the Zack Hyman tap-ins at the post on the other side of McDavid/etc in game 3. He's trying to get to the spot but they are killing the cross seam and boxing out at the right time. So lots of direct shots. I think we'll let EDM shoot those all day every day.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, Canucks are also doing a good job neutralising the Zack Hyman tap-ins at the post on the other side of McDavid/etc in game 3. He's trying to get to the spot but they are killing the cross seam and boxing out at the right time. So lots of direct shots. I think we'll let EDM shoot those all day every day.
Definitely. Team is doing a great job eliminating the one-t pass and second chance goals and protecting the crease. I think Simpson was talking about how tight their diamond was last night. Whole team is just collapsing to the net.

Oilers have had chances and Silovs has made the saves needed. A few posts too. I don't really like how passive they are playing with the lead but it's working well. Canucks earned their wins in the series.

I do have to add tho that if Canucks fans aren't old enough to remember Dan Cloutier they might not know what back-breaking goaltending looks and feels like lol. It's been a wealth of riches in your organization regarding goalie drafting and development since you picked up Luongo from Florida. Even off year by Demko is miles better than Skinner/Kosko/Old Man Smith/Khabibulin/etc etc etc etc 😪

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Also remember this is a Canucks team with an insane shooting percentages. We tend to score on less no matter the goalie. Look at our regular season numbers, especially first half when Petey was on fire. So it's a combination of sub par goaltending and a high shooting percentage Canucks team.

It can be frustrating and sometimes boring hockey to watch as I'm screaming for Canucks to shoot more as they keep waiting for the perfect shot.

But yeah, a combination of good goalies and our goaltending coach Ian Clarke, is nice.

Oh and I definitely remember beach ball Dan cloutier.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. Team is doing a great job eliminating the one-t pass and second chance goals and protecting the crease. I think Simpson was talking about how tight their diamond was last night. Whole team is just collapsing to the net.

Oilers have had chances and Silovs has made the saves needed. A few posts too. I don't really like how passive they are playing with the lead but it's working well. Canucks earned their wins in the series.

I do have to add tho that if Canucks fans aren't old enough to remember Dan Cloutier they might not know what back-breaking goaltending looks and feels like lol. It's been a wealth of riches in your organization regarding goalie drafting and development since you picked up Luongo from Florida. Even off year by Demko is miles better than Skinner/Kosko/Old Man Smith/Khabibulin/etc etc etc etc 😪
Oilers' problem can be summed up very simply that Ian Cole has more goals/points against Canucks than all but one Oilers' line. That's ridiculous and I've never seen anything like this before.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
While the Bs lack of offense is for sure their biggest issue, it's pretty infuriating to see the refs gift Florida a goal that should not have been.

I'd love to see a comeback from down 3 to 1 but I can't see it happening without them getting majorly hot out of nowhere.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
While the Bs lack of offense is for sure their biggest issue, it's pretty infuriating to see the refs gift Florida a goal that should not have been.

I'd love to see a comeback from down 3 to 1 but I can't see it happening without them getting majorly hot out of nowhere.

Marchand is flying down for Game 5, so anything is possible. As a Panthers fan, I also think that goal should not have counted and it was a momentum changer. Florida did have more than twice as many shots in that game though. Boston fans were chanting "shoot the puck" by the end of the game.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Man Canucks getting no respect even when up by 1. Bad strategy but being up 2 goals (both going into 2nd and 3rd) they played super conservative, thus why shot totals are reflective. They also play a very defensive game in front of their non-Demko goalies, you can see the shot total difference when Demko is playing vs not.

Also had the lead in Game 2 and played that same strategy as the Oilers turned up the heat, and it cost them in that game (and Ian Cole cost us, if Soucy isn't suspended I think we should bench Cole for Juulsen) I would love to see them play a bit more aggressive and keep up the same play as they do in the first. But even still, out of all those shots in the latter part of the 3rd, only 1 of them ended up being a high danger chance. They are stopping the cross-seam and letting the Oilers take the direct shots.

Now with all that said, I recognise the offensive power of the Oilers. They are an insanely good team and have the best player in the league and the 3rd to 4th best player in the league (I think MacKinnon is better than Driesatl). But the Oilers problem isn't just goaltending. Their D is weak. Their depth scoring is weak. They are a beatable team. We play a very structured game. And also while the Oilers are suffering due to Skinner playing bad, our best player (Petey) is also playing bad and our 2nd best player is injured. We got excuses too, we're just not making them.
I really agree with all of this. Well said! Just wanted to also add that the Oilers are now put in a position where they have to get their big guys to play a lot of minutes. This is going to wear on them eventually. Doesn't matter how good you are, putting those kind of minutes every other day is not sustainable.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Oilers' problem can be summed up very simply that Ian Cole has more goals/points against Canucks than all but one Oilers' line. That's ridiculous and I've never seen anything like this before.
You must have missed the last few years lol

This happens every year. Every coach just puts McDrai together eventually. The problem is Nuge is great on the powerplay, a wizard even, but he's just ineffective centering his own line. He has 0 chemistry with Kane too. McLeod, Foegele have brought nothing. Same as last year. The new $4 million+ guy they brought in this offseason Connor Brown, I don't think anyone has any hopes of him scoring.

I'd dress Sam Gagner next game over Ryan to see if he can inject some offense, but I'm biased because I love him and would love for him to have a moment in the playoffs.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Marchand is flying down for Game 5, so anything is possible. As a Panthers fan, I also think that goal should not have counted and it was a momentum changer. Florida did have more than twice as many shots in that game though. Boston fans were chanting "shoot the puck" by the end of the game.
It's kinda funny that for as much as the Bruins are generally hated, like EVERYONE is on team "Yeah that shouldn't have counted".

Not holding out tons of hope Marchand will kick the team into overdrive but it's certainly a possibility....

For what it's worth I doubt any Bs fans will lay much blame on the refs if they lose the series outside of this one goal being a bit of a dagger in the back while they were already on their knees barely holding on. In the end if they have half as many shots on goal as the other team every single game then the end result of the series will come down squarely on "Outplayed". Bs goalies can't play standing on their heads every single game in the end. When I tuned in and the Bs had a 2-0 lead despite a huge SoG deficit I already had a bit of a "Got a bad feeling about this" vibe.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
love how the explainer video has Hyman coming in with a more intentional crosscheck to the head of Zadorov
lmao

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
The sucker punch to marchand was a no brainer for the department of player safety, should have been a game or 2. I don't know Bennett's history but maybe a few more if he's a repeat offender.