• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Thinking of replaying Nier.
Beyond FAR should I consider any other mods?

I see there's a supposedly high quality texture pack?

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
After completing the Nier Automata themed raid in FFXIV numerous times, I wanted to give this a go. Just "finished" the game for the first time blind and I have to say, what a beautiful experience so far. I got ending "A" according to my savefile. Any tips on how best to proceed? I'm guessing just keep going with the same save file?

Game was a bit too easy on the Normal difficulty setting - I didn't die once. So also wondering whether increasing the difficulty to Hard would be recommended.

Lastly, just wanted to mention that this game ran flawless on my aging setup (i7 3770, GTX 1070, FAR mod).

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
After completing the Nier Automata themed raid in FFXIV numerous times, I wanted to give this a go. Just "finished" the game for the first time blind and I have to say, what a beautiful experience so far. I got ending "A" according to my savefile. Any tips on how best to proceed? I'm guessing just keep going with the same save file?

Yes. Just load the savefile again.

The balance of the game is unfortauntely all over the place, it's mostly damage values to the point some bosses will one-shot you later on.
But you can change back to normal whenever you want so you might wanna give it a try anyways.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So I started this up over Christmas, and I'm having a bit of issue, or confusion I guess, with the difficulty scaling on hard mode.
I've just
gave the part from Pascal to Anemone, fought the big Goliaths, and now the city has a hole in it/it was aliens
and the average enemy level has jumped from 7 to 22, and I'm getting one shot by mostly everything, even though I have multiple HP and defense chips installed. I've not really been grinding (I'm level 16) but it's kind of a pain to get killed by a single stray hit, especially since the camera/lack of lock on makes it hard to keep track of enemies.

Should I be a higher level at this point?
My starter sword is level 3, my big sword is level 2, and I don't know where to find the materials to upgrade my pods fire power (I assume that's what the pod upgrades do).

Other than that, I'm enjoying it, except for the side/top scrolling sections.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I started this up over Christmas, and I'm having a bit of issue, or confusion I guess, with the difficulty scaling on hard mode.
I've just
gave the part from Pascal to Anemone, fought the big Goliaths, and now the city has a hole in it/it was aliens
and the average enemy level has jumped from 7 to 22, and I'm getting one shot by mostly everything, even though I have multiple HP and defense chips installed. I've not really been grinding (I'm level 16) but it's kind of a pain to get killed by a single stray hit, especially since the camera/lack of lock on makes it hard to keep track of enemies.

Should I be a higher level at this point?
My starter sword is level 3, my big sword is level 2, and I don't know where to find the materials to upgrade my pods fire power (I assume that's what the pod upgrades do).

Other than that, I'm enjoying it, except for the side/top scrolling sections.

Please take it off Hard mode, it's not balanced well, even when you go out of your way to focus on defense

Oct 27, 2017
So I've just started playing this, only about 40 something minutes in, but does the game not auto-save at all? I died to the first proper boss with the two saw-arms, and I was put all the way back to the beginning. I think I may have seen a warning about saves but I can't say I really took note of it. And I don't know if it really didn't save or is this some Yoko Taro subversive trolling thing?

Oct 28, 2017
So I've just started playing this, only about 40 something minutes in, but does the game not auto-save at all? I died to the first proper boss with the two saw-arms, and I was put all the way back to the beginning. I think I may have seen a warning about saves but I can't say I really took note of it. And I don't know if it really didn't save or is this some Yoko Taro subversive trolling thing?
It doesn't autosave at all and there's no place to save between the beginning and that boss. If you want to make sure that you get past it throw it down to easy and I'm pretty sure you can put it back up to whatever difficulty later. The whole autosave thing isn't really an issue after the start imo.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't autosave at all and there's no place to save between the beginning and that boss. If you want to make sure that you get past it throw it down to easy and I'm pretty sure you can put it back up to whatever difficulty later. The whole autosave thing isn't really an issue after the start imo.

Thanks for the advice. I might do that when I play later. Don't want to spend half an hour playing, exploring every nook and cranny and then dying on the goddamn boss again.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Saw the Nier Orchestra in Chicago tonight. "Kaine" and "A Beautiful Song" were my favorite pieces, but they were all amazing.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Ok so I just started playing this game a couple days ago after playing the demo when if first game out and am loving it.

My one issue is I have no fucking clue what I should be doing with the stacks or whatever or upgrades and what not. I atleast understand the materials I find can be used to upgrade my sword, and the health items. Did I miss some sort of tutorial or was I not really paying attention. Around 8 hours in btw.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I just started playing this game a couple days ago after playing the demo when if first game out and am loving it.

My one issue is I have no fucking clue what I should be doing with the stacks or whatever or upgrades and what not. I atleast understand the materials I find can be used to upgrade my sword, and the health items. Did I miss some sort of tutorial or was I not really paying attention. Around 8 hours in btw.

So the chips you get are buffs you can equip. One of the NPCs in the Camp can increase your overall chip Storage, which helps you equip more. Chips have costs that are RNG, if there's a diamond that means you have the cheapest costing version of the chip. So let's say you have 64 Chip Storage, you can equip as many chips as will equal up to 64.

It's honestly not really worth playing around with unless you're on hard mode. Some good chips to just make things easier are Shock Wave (adds a range wave to your melee attacks), Auto-heal (regen), maybe item drop rate up.

You can also combine chips to get higher versions of them with better upgrades, but they cost more to equip.

Really, if you don't wanna play around with it, there's an option to auto equip based on what you want, for example attack chips, or defense chips.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
qMc9KL3.gif

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
I can watch these gifs all day.

Whoever at Platinum that was at resposible for the animation needs a goddam award.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing some more of this recently (I think I'm nearing the end of Route A now), and I have a few questions that I'll put in a big spoiler box:

Progression wise I've just fought Adam in his city and rescued 9S, and I'm now going to meet up with Pascal at the Factory to see what these robots who are proposing a truce are up to.
Sidequest wise I've done everything that I possibly could as far as I could tell, although I've apparently failed the sidequest from the Wandering Couple- will I be able to start this again on Route B? The only other sidequests I've not completed, as far as I can tell, are the ones that I need hacking to access, I've not done all the flooded city and desert arena fights, I've not beat Red Belt Father Servo, and I've not done the second Speed Star Race.

Am I supposed to be able to fight these gold robots in the city? They're not particularly difficult in terms of danger, but I'm level 34 now, and I'm not even tickling them.

Should I fuse black diamond chips with regular chips, or should I wait and just fuse black diamonds? Following on from this, will black diamond chips become more common later on? I've basically fight every enemy I've come across, and I'm 25 hours in now, and I have less than 10 black diamond chips.

Which pod programs are the most useful? I have 3 pods now, and while I'm liking Pod B, I've just been sticking with Pod A plus the Laser program, because all the others I've tried have seemed kinda useless. I currently have Gravity on C, and Scan on B.

Finally, I keep accidentally catching glimpses of the I guess attract mode that plays when you leave the menu on, and that seems incredibly spoilery lol. For all I know it could be a big misdirection, and that wouldn't surprise me with this game lmao, but there was a bit with 2B with a virus or something, possibly like what I presume 11B had, crossing the bridge to the shopping centre, while talking about how she needs somebody to meet up with 9S, and a bit which seemed to be suggesting that the Commander is bad, which isn't surprising if that's the case, but still, it's weird that they just show that stuff.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I've been playing some more of this recently (I think I'm nearing the end of Route A now), and I have a few questions that I'll put in a big spoiler box:

Progression wise I've just fought Adam in his city and rescued 9S, and I'm now going to meet up with Pascal at the Factory to see what these robots who are proposing a truce are up to.
Sidequest wise I've done everything that I possibly could as far as I could tell, although I've apparently failed the sidequest from the Wandering Couple- will I be able to start this again on Route B? The only other sidequests I've not completed, as far as I can tell, are the ones that I need hacking to access, I've not done all the flooded city and desert arena fights, I've not beat Red Belt Father Servo, and I've not done the second Speed Star Race.

Am I supposed to be able to fight these gold robots in the city? They're not particularly difficult in terms of danger, but I'm level 34 now, and I'm not even tickling them.

Should I fuse black diamond chips with regular chips, or should I wait and just fuse black diamonds? Following on from this, will black diamond chips become more common later on? I've basically fight every enemy I've come across, and I'm 25 hours in now, and I have less than 10 black diamond chips.

Which pod programs are the most useful? I have 3 pods now, and while I'm liking Pod B, I've just been sticking with Pod A plus the Laser program, because all the others I've tried have seemed kinda useless. I currently have Gravity on C, and Scan on B.

Finally, I keep accidentally catching glimpses of the I guess attract mode that plays when you leave the menu on, and that seems incredibly spoilery lol. For all I know it could be a big misdirection, and that wouldn't surprise me with this game lmao, but there was a bit with 2B with a virus or something, possibly like what I presume 11B had, crossing the bridge to the shopping centre, while talking about how she needs somebody to meet up with 9S, and a bit which seemed to be suggesting that the Commander is bad, which isn't surprising if that's the case, but still, it's weird that they just show that stuff.
I haven't played in a long time, but I'll do my best to answer:
Don't worry about sidequests; you'll get the chance to do them at some point or another.
You'll find it a lot easier to deal with those enemies later on, especially in Route B.
I don't believe they necessarily become more common, though there are chips to make drops more frequent if I remember correctly. It is best to fuse black diamonds chips together though, for sure.
I don't recall any pod program to be particularly great, so I think you can just stick with the ones you have or the ones that seem most fun to use.
It would surprise me if there some spoilery things in that trailer; just do your best to avoid it!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played in a long time, but I'll do my best to answer:
Don't worry about sidequests; you'll get the chance to do them at some point or another.
You'll find it a lot easier to deal with those enemies later on, especially in Route B.
I don't believe they necessarily become more common, though there are chips to make drops more frequent if I remember correctly. It is best to fuse black diamonds chips together though, for sure.
I don't recall any pod program to be particularly great, so I think you can just stick with the ones you have or the ones that seem most fun to use.
It would surprise me if there some spoilery things in that trailer; just do your best to avoid it!

Right, OK, thanks for that. I've not been enjoying the sidequests, but the story stuff from beating them has been more interesting than the main plot so far lol.

But yeah, it's good to know that I'm doing it right by holding off on merging black diamond chips for the time being. I've merged a few for the stuff I'm actively using, but I've been keeping hold of the rest for later.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Right, OK, thanks for that. I've not been enjoying the sidequests, but the story stuff from beating them has been more interesting than the main plot so far lol.

But yeah, it's good to know that I'm doing it right by holding off on merging black diamond chips for the time being. I've merged a few for the stuff I'm actively using, but I've been keeping hold of the rest for later.
Yeah, gameplay-wise they're not that great, but the stories and certain themes they touch upon make them worthwhile in my opinion.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
I made a video a while ago, starting The World of Series which covers the immersive beauty and details of videogame worlds, using Free Camera tools or first person camera features and featuring cinematic shots. Take some time away from the action to appreciate the environmental details you'd otherwise miss.
You might get spoiled about some of these areas if you haven't finished the game though, so watch at your own risk!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm partway through Route B now (just got to Pascal's Village), and I'm just curious if the sidequest point of no return the first mission in the Flooded Cityfrom Route A is the same here?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've been wanting to buy this game for awhile now but I keep resisting...I love unique games and this has gotten a lot of excellent reviews from sites I trust like Skill Up and Jim Sterling...but I don't like that the developer has not released any post-release patches to address the major issues...yes I know there's a 3rd party tool but why haven't the developers addressed it...the graphics and overall world look a bit drab and I hear there's a lot of backtracking and I hate backtracking in games

the Yorha Edition (PC) is currently available via the Humble Store for $19.99 but I'm still not convinced this is going to be a great game

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been wanting to buy this game for awhile now but I keep resisting...I love unique games and this has gotten a lot of excellent reviews from sites I trust like Skill Up and Jim Sterling...but I don't like that the developer has not released any post-release patches to address the major issues...yes I know there's a 3rd party tool but why haven't the developers addressed it...the graphics and overall world look a bit drab and I hear there's a lot of backtracking and I hate backtracking in games

the Yorha Edition (PC) is currently available via the Humble Store for $19.99 but I'm still not convinced this is going to be a great game
K

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I made a video a while ago, starting The World of Series which covers the immersive beauty and details of videogame worlds, using Free Camera tools or first person camera features and featuring cinematic shots. Take some time away from the action to appreciate the environmental details you'd otherwise miss.
You might get spoiled about some of these areas if you haven't finished the game though, so watch at your own risk!

You got some nice shots there! That was so relaxing.

Well, you'll either enjoy it or you won't. I thought it was pretty good when I finished my first playthrough, on Route A. I was thoroughly impressed when I finished Route C, so don't drop the controller when the credits roll.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yoko Taro games are never perfectly smooth experiences, in many ways. Automata is an imperfect port but under that rough exterior lies a gem of a story.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

The artstyle being drab is synonymous with Platinum Games lol, but there is definitely quite a bit of colour outside the main city. I'd say it's more of a muted colour palette than something like Bayonetta's everything is brown aesthetic though. I'm not sure if PC had any major problems, but on base PS4 the only big framerate drop I've had so far has been one boss fights.

Backtracking isn't really an issue, unless you try to do every optional thing before you can fast travel (although I'd recommend doing some sidequests before that point, and as many as you possibly can as soon as you can fast travel, before continuing with the story). You can also equip items to increase movement speed, so you could create an exploration loadout, for example.

From what I've played so far, I'd say it's a weird game. I'm not in love with it just yet, but it's interesting enough to make me want to keep playing. The gameplay is fairly weak, but the characterization and lore is really strong. Also on that note: don't play hard mode. Certainly not at the opening, but I'd advise against it in general. I was like 18 hours in when I swapped over to normal, and like 14 of those hours were just dying repeatedly (I had 40 deaths on hard, 0 on normal so far), and doing chip damage to enemies. Maybe bump it up to hard later on, but the combat isn't polished enough to make it work when you're low leveled and have no/crappy upgrades.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
the gameplay is fairly weak, but the characterization and lore is really strong

that's a pretty damning statement...I mean if the gameplay is weak then that sort of ruins the entire game doesn't it?...great characters can only take a game so far if the gameplay surrounding that character is not good

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that's a pretty damning statement...I mean if the gameplay is weak then that sort of ruins the entire game doesn't it?...great characters can only take a game so far if the gameplay surrounding that character is not good
Nah, fun gameplay, contrary to popular opinion, isn't a must for a good game.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I mean it both reviewed and sold incredibly well, so no, most would disagree that anything was "ruined".

That said, I greatly enjoyed the gameplay for the most part. The main concern is in regards to the difficulty balance, but controlling the characters itself felt great. Especially compared to the previous games within this universe.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

Refreshing to see an older woman's perspective on this game. Just goes to show you that this work of art can be appreciated by a wide range of people.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished route C today and yeesh that was heavy. I know there's another route but do I have to replay the game for it or just use the chapter select? So far this is my favorite route.