Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to believe that this game was ignored the first time around to the point a reviewer rage quit the one mandatory fishing task.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe that this game was ignored the first time around to the point a reviewer rage quit the one mandatory fishing task.

I don't think it's that unbelievable. Especially the first time around, if you didn't know jackshit about Taro and Drakengard, the very first half of the game plays fairly generically, not helped by the sheer amount of is-it-deliberate-or-not boring quest design that is literally go to X and pick up 9 Wolfs Tails or whatever the fuck.

Like fishing for that thing is just before you go back to the Aerie a second time and start hanging out with Kaine more right? That whole early section was pretty tedious even to run through again, even knowing what was coming. Even in Ending E

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that unbelievable. Especially the first time around, if you didn't know jackshit about Taro and Drakengard, the very first half of the game plays fairly generically, not helped by the sheer amount of is-it-deliberate-or-not boring quest design that is literally go to X and pick up 9 Wolfs Tails or whatever the fuck.

Like fishing for that thing is just before you go back to the Aerie a second time and start hanging out with Kaine more right? That whole early section was pretty tedious even to run through again, even knowing what was coming. Even in Ending E
I mean, sure.

But even given that, the reception between then and now is a night and day difference.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah. honestly. platinum saved nier and nier saved platinum imho

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the game for the most part, but yeah coming to this after playing Automata lessened a lot of the impact, one of the biggest reveals just fell flat to me because of Automata knowledge.
But hey, I'm a master fisher in this world now and I have my own little animal crossing going with the garden, so it has it's ups as well!

I'm curious... which reveal specifically?

I played Automata first back when it was released but stopped after ending A and I even forgot what happened during the game for the most part anyhow.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious... which reveal specifically?

I played Automata first back when it was released but stopped after ending A and I even forgot what happened during the game for the most part anyhow.
Later routes in Automata explicitly go over
the nature of project Gestalt, the shades, and Devola and Poppola's role in everything

The funny thing is that that didn't actually spoil that much of Replicant for me because the first game is still pretty vague about all of that lmao

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Just to make sure
I've finished C and saved on another slot... But if I load that save it sends me back to the library.
If I just load my previous save on the roof (which only has the A and B ending markers), will it register C as done as well, and unlock E route?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to make sure
I've finished C and saved on another slot... But if I load that save it sends me back to the library.
If I just load my previous save on the roof (which only has the A and B ending markers), will it register C as done as well, and unlock E route?

Your save file won't register C but you'll still have the Trophy/Achievement. Ending D is all you need to access Ending E.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've cleared ending E. Can I make a new game for the speedrun trophy, or will it enter ending E stuff again? I'd assume it wouldn't, but I'd just like to be sure.

unknown.png
I quit going for trophies a few years back, but for whatever reason, I just wanted to clear this game. I guess partially because it means a lot to me.

Getting all these weapon upgrades is up there with some of the more heinous trophy grinding I've done though.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've cleared ending E. Can I make a new game for the speedrun trophy, or will it enter ending E stuff again? I'd assume it wouldn't, but I'd just like to be sure.

The save that you made to enter Ending E can be used to finish the speedrun as it'll continue into Route A.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on playthrough B and loving the hell out of this game again, even finding the music to be mostly improved. I have to read through this whole thread because I didn't want spoilers and can't resist clicking on them if they're there.

I gave Lara6683 the Shadowlord song and she learned it by ear and did this

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Later routes in Automata explicitly go over
the nature of project Gestalt, the shades, and Devola and Poppola's role in everything

The funny thing is that that didn't actually spoil that much of Replicant for me because the first game is still pretty vague about all of that lmao
Then when you look at the wiki of the whole Nier/Drakengard Timeline there is some rad as hell things not mentioned in either game that happened that I kind of wish we could get a game out of. The whole Red Eye stuff is so interesting.

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
Need a bit of help... I don't know if I'm just being incredibly stupid, but I just feel totally useless against armoured enemies even when using two-handed weapons.

I'm on my way to
Shadowlord's Castle
on Route A and it's just countless armoured enemies that aren't flinching a single bit no matter what I do. Is there an easy way to fight them? I tend to just spam heavy attacks over and over and hope for the best but I'm aware there's probably a better way to do it. The game is really testing my patience at this point.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Need a bit of help... I don't know if I'm just being incredibly stupid, but I just feel totally useless against armoured enemies even when using two-handed weapons.

I'm on my way to
Shadowlord's Castle
on Route A and it's just countless armoured enemies that aren't flinching a single bit no matter what I do. Is there an easy way to fight them? I tend to just spam heavy attacks over and over and hope for the best but I'm aware there's probably a better way to do it. The game is really testing my patience at this point.

I just use Dark Lance powered up to the second level which knocks down an armored enemy, then go next to them and press Circle to finish them when they're on the ground. Pretty easy. Try that.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just use Dark Lance powered up to the second level which knocks down an armored enemy, then go next to them and press Circle to finish them when they're on the ground. Pretty easy. Try that.
I did the same but with Dark Hand. Maybe it was my level, but basic uncharged Dark Hand knocked down the armored enemies (multiples if they're grouped).

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
Have you tried holding one of the attack buttons until there's a flash and then releasing? That unleashes a flurry of attacks, and I had a lot of luck breaking through that way.
Yeah, this seemed to work early on but at this point I can still go about 5-10 seconds of hitting an enemy without breaking their armour, so could be to do with my weapon level instead?

Will give this a shot next time I play, thanks!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I stuck an armour break and effectiveness word on the Phoenix spear

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
This kid hanging out by this gate says something about an old man who may have died. There's no way to get through here though. Any relevance to this that I missed? Maybe has to do with that code that was found?
2gjQjxJ.jpeg

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Started my B playthrough and thought I'd up the difficulty from normal to hard, then I jumped into World of Recycled Vessel... turns out that was a mistake. It was great seeing papa Nier again and the music was hype, but by the time I got to door 3 the hp sponginess had reached ridiculous levels of bullshit. Suddenly I was chugging all the strength drops and capsules I'd never used before. Spent probably 40+ minutes getting to the 4th floor only to get randomly taken out in one hit at full hp by a boss... PAIN. Switched it back to normal and finished it in like 10 minutes lol.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
This kid hanging out by this gate says something about an old man who may have died. There's no way to get through here though. Any relevance to this that I missed? Maybe has to do with that code that was found?
2gjQjxJ.jpeg
I don't think I talked to this NPC in the remaster, but in the original Nier, before the time skip, there's a kid standing outside that door who says their older brother won't come out because they're sick and black lettering has started showing up on their hands. After the time skip, a different kid is standing there and says that the person who lived in there died, implying that they died to the black scrawl. It sounds like the scenario might be a slightly different in Replicant since they refer to him as an old man based off your post, but I imagine the NPC narrative is pretty much the same and it doesn't mean much other than that.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You know about the lunar tear under the bridge in E ?

What if you try to input the secret code at that placement in other routes? ( press start maybe first )

The problem is that we dont know if we are supposed to have the key or not first ...

petethepanda

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Finally getting back to this, still in route A. Finally forced myself to stop caring about flowers and weapon upgrades and just continue, lol. I'd really like to have the platinum for this, but there are so many other games and books I want to catch up on, and I already have one other "questionable use of time" game that I play lol.

Just did the Little Mermaid quest, which was pretty great. Fits right in, and was a bit more spectacular than I expected it to be. Curious to see it in route B.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You know about the lunar tear under the bridge in E ?

What if you try to input the secret code at that placement in other routes? ( press start maybe first )

The problem is that we dont know if we are supposed to have the key or not first ...
I feel like you throw throwing theories out the way a chef throws spaghetti at the wall. You don't sincerely believe that there's some hidden lore behind what's in all likelihood a debug tool, do you?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you throw throwing theories out the way a chef throws spaghetti at the wall. You don't sincerely believe that there's some hidden lore behind what's in all likelihood a debug tool, do you?

Look at Automata.

Debug tools dont give an instruction like that they are just on or off.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
They wouldn't word it the way they did if it wasn't intended for players and Automata has an equally obscure cheat. It's definitely something.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll lead to something, but if it were some kind of community ARG we'd hear about it in some official capacity.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll lead to something, but if it were some kind of community ARG we'd hear about it in some official capacity.

If Lance hadnt hacked Automata we would have never heard about it.

That was 4 years after the game released.

Replicant hid its application in the code and Lance can't find anything.

How long do you expect we would ever find it if we were to wait for official information ?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Lance hadnt hacked Automata we would have never heard about it.

That was 4 years after the game released.

Replicant hid its application in the code and Lance can't find anything.

How long do you expect we would ever find it if we were to wait for official information ?

If there's no official word on it then it probably won't ever actually matter.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hey SapphiCine , was it you who had noticed something strange in the Weiss introduction or am I misremembering ?

If there's no official word on it then it probably won't ever actually matter.

It is a secret.

"Unlock something".

I'm just pointing out that they never gave a hint for Automata years after release beyond " there is a secret hidden ", which they confirmed after the fact was Lance's discovery.

So you saying we would know from official marketing doesnt make any sense.

Keep in mind Yoko personally congratulated Lance so they know exactly what they are doing with this.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It is a secret.

"Unlock something".

I'm just pointing out that they never gave a hint for Automata years after release beyond " there is a secret hidden ", which they confirmed after the fact was Lance's discovery.

So you saying we would know from official marketing doesnt make any sense.

Keep in mind Yoko personally congratulated Lance so they know exactly what they are doing with this.
You are talking about something only accessible via a hex editor, which may or may not have an applicable use in the final release version of 1.22.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You are talkin about something only accessible via a hex editor, which may or may not have an applicable use in the final release version of 1.22.

The automata code function and placement was only discoverable through analysis of the code.

Why would they add a journal entry for an inaccessible function ?
Why would they make it cryptic if it's for devs only ?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The automata code function and placement was only discoverable through analysis of the code.

Why would they add a journal entry for an inaccessible function ?
Why would they make it cryptic if it's for devs only ?
The function may have been removed while the journal entry was kept. It's not unrealistic for development elements to remain in code when the actual function to access aspects like a debug mode are disabled.
If it's for the devs, it's probably not cryptic to the devs.

That "final secret" in Automata was literally access to the end game and debug functionality. If you're expecting some magical lore biscuit to be hidden behind this item in Replicant, you're going to end up disappointed.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The function may have been removed while the journal entry was kept. It's not unrealistic for development elements to remain in code when the actual function to access aspects like a debug mode are disabled.
If it's for the devs, it's probably not cryptic to the devs.

That "final secret" in Automata was literally access to the end game and debug functionality. If you're expecting some magical lore biscuit to be hidden behind this item in Replicant, you're going to end up disappointed.

But this is something that isnt in the original game ( confirmed by Lance ).

So it isnt left over content.

If that was a dev tool, I dont see why it had a journal entry and would both not explain what it is and how to use it.
We have seen them use debug mode on stream for Replicant it was a simple menu toggle.

Automata did unlock debug mode with the code on top of the rest so I'm not saying it cant be connected. Just saying it wouldnt be *for the devs*.

I'm expecting a bypass to A/B/C to get to D and E.

Which is perfectly in line with Automata.

That being said now that you mention lore biscuit, I wonder if Grimoire Nier this summer would give us any hint.

It was me. Though what had happened was I didn't know SpecialK has custom achievement notifications, so it caught me off guard. I thought it was something new to this version of the game.

Oh I see. Was worth a shot.

I'm still not home so I cant test anything for a few more days.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me I don't have to go through the whole game again for ending C.

Part 2. Skip scenes and use dark wall to be invincible to projectiles and just melee shit to death in seconds including bosses. And you can use the strength or magic capsules / drops.

Will take you like 3 hours.

If that annoys you just take a little break. A few days off. Play something else in the meantime. Dont burn yourself out.
It will be fine then.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Part 2. Skip scenes and use dark wall to be invincible to projectiles and just melee shit to death in seconds including bosses. And you can use the strength or magic capsules / drops.

Will take you like 3 hours.

If that annoys you just take a little break. A few days off. Play something else in the meantime. Dont burn yourself out.
It will be fine then.
I mean I love the game and ending B was already a cakewalk but that is just bullshit.

Guess I'll be playing something different first and come back later.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been going super slow, growing flowers in real-time. Still just past the Forest of Myth in part 1, and finally got my first pink Moonflower.

Regarding the secret, it's definitely not a devtool thing, since it's obviously written as a vague player-directed hint with those ellipses. There would be no reason to localize it so coyly if nobody was ever going to see it.

I'm also extremely certain it's not a D/E skip. If the memo was hidden somewhere in the game, it would likely be somewhere lategame, at which point there'd be no reason to use it. Also definitely not connected with the bridge Lunar Tear.

Since nobody has actually been able to find the memo in the game, I feel like it's more likely connected to potential DLC at this point. Maybe a puzzle or VN segment you have to get through. I mentioned before that "Unlocking Procedure Memo" sounded Junk Heap related, but maybe it's more post-ending E related (if you know what I mean).

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Been going super slow, growing flowers in real-time. Still just past the Forest of Myth in part 1, and finally got my first pink Moonflower.

Regarding the secret, it's definitely not a devtool thing, since it's obviously written as a vague player-directed hint with those ellipses. There would be no reason to localize it so coyly if nobody was ever going to see it.

I'm also extremely certain it's not a D/E skip. If the memo was hidden somewhere in the game, it would likely be somewhere lategame, at which point there'd be no reason to use it. Also definitely not connected with the bridge Lunar Tear.

Since nobody has actually been able to find the memo in the game, I feel like it's more likely connected to potential DLC at this point. Maybe a puzzle or VN segment you have to get through. I mentioned before that "Unlocking Procedure Memo" sounded Junk Heap related, but maybe it's more post-ending E related (if you know what I mean).

I thought nobody has found it ingame it was either hex edited or save hacking.

Did I miss something ?

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I have finally got around to finishing Route A, after messing with most sidequests. Time for the fun stuff to begin.

Funny story, when I played this game back in 2012, I remember somebody at the Facade asking me to grow flowers and then looking it up (since I barely messed with the garden), realising it was a pain in the ass, and skipping the quest.
This time around - with only a vague memory that the quest was coming up - I had grown a FULL garden of Lunar Tears (hell yes) and was waiting for this quest to pop up... and it didn't. I looked it up now and maybe it was that person that asked for some pink moonflower seeds? I had 65 on me when she asked, so I just finished that quest on the spot.

I think I misremembered and wasted a bunch of time growing these flowers in the end. Oh well.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought nobody has found it ingame it was either hex edited or save hacking.

Did I miss something ?
That's what I said.
Since nobody has actually been able to find the memo in the game, I feel like it's more likely connected to potential DLC at this point.
If the memo were actually floating around somewhere hidden in the game though, I imagine it wouldn't be until much further in.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I said.

If the memo were actually floating around somewhere hidden in the game though, I imagine it wouldn't be until much further in.

Yeah but keep in mind you replay the game 3 times. So that doesnt mean much.

Like if you do A and B you could still skip C with it.

Maybe it is something hidden in the red eye sidequest that sends you back to tokyo ? Idk.

Automata didnt care it assumed you could only do the code if you knew about it. So if the purpose is skipping things and clearly nobody has found it, then it isnt meant to be found or used organically IMO.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
If it makes you feel any better, he (Justin McElroy) recently joked on a podcast about how him giving up on Nier because of the fishing totally eclipsed the rest of his career as a games critic/journalist.