Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Not hating but that Eurogamer review is bizarre as hell. It seems to only care about graphics? I know it talks about other things but it just harps on that and then just, pays no real attention to the story. Just. Weird review.

And I don't understand why they think Automata is so much better. To me Automata was pretty much worse in every way.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
This is great. As time passes more and more people will recognize how much of a genius Yoko Taro is, and hopefully we'll get more high budget games with his amazing vision.

I don't think he is a genius at all.

In terms of narrative/creative direction, he has awkward and quirky ideas with little strokes of brilliance here and there.

In terms of gameplay, his input is straight up bad and tedius at times. Platinum made automata play decently enough.

He will always have niche appeal.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I started loving all those silly fetch-and-backtrack quests once I figured out that the real reward was the withering reactions you got from Weiss and Kaine and not any kind of in-game item or esteem. I'm glad they're in the remaster unchanged.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
steamcommunity.com

Controller Suttering Fix :: NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... General Discussions

There has been some reports of stuttering releated to using the controller, this is not an issue with the game but a steam issue and one you can fix fairly easily. Right Click Game > Properties > Controller > Disable Steam Input Doing this should resolve the stuttering and will still allow you...

Might just be a bad steam input implementation.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I did not realize that the PC version had denuvo anti-tamper.

I'm willing to put up with the (miniscule) issues of the port, but not that. Bummer since I don't have a next-gen console, and would have to play this on my Pro or One X..

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Not hating but that Eurogamer review is bizarre as hell. It seems to only care about graphics? I know it talks about other things but it just harps on that and then just, pays no real attention to the story. Just. Weird review.

And I don't understand why they think Automata is so much better. To me Automata was pretty much worse in every way.
Unfortunately they gave the game to their weakest reviewer. All their reviews are bizarre as hell, read 13 Sentinels for example.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think he is a genius at all.

In terms of narrative/creative direction, he has awkward and quirky ideas with little strokes of brilliance here and there.

In terms of gameplay, his input is straight up bad and tedius at times. Platinum made automata play decently enough.
I agree with this

I also think the way he structures his games via Ending A, B, etc. is mostly terrible

But I really liked Route A of Drakengard 3 despite the game being a repetitive slideshow with annoying sex commentary every 2 seconds, so I have respect for him and want to see what his next big project is.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Unfortunately they gave the game to their weakest reviewer. All their reviews are bizarre as hell, read 13 Sentinels for example.
What makes them a weak reviewer? I don't particularly gel with their tastes but I wouldn't say any of their reviews is poorly written, factually inaccurate or stand out to me in a negative light compared to other EG reviewers?

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Such a glow up. Nier deserves this. Can't wait to play some more today! It honestly instantly sucked me into its world and characters, just like Automata did.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
steamcommunity.com

Controller Suttering Fix :: NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... General Discussions

There has been some reports of stuttering releated to using the controller, this is not an issue with the game but a steam issue and one you can fix fairly easily. Right Click Game > Properties > Controller > Disable Steam Input Doing this should resolve the stuttering and will still allow you...

Might just be a bad steam input implementation.
Outriders had a similar issue i beleive

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I bought Nier at launch and loved it. The story of a father trying to save his daughter was what first attracted me, then came Taro's can't-look-away creepiness which I had never experienced before.

Loved the music, which Emi Evans expertly constructed using the phonemic inventory of specific languages, without actually using the languages themselves; play the game and the genius behind this is apparent.

But I will never, ever forget the moment -- and no one had ever noticed this before -- when I figured out what the Black Scrawl really was. This game jumped into mindblowingly-amazing territory at that moment.

Not sure if we're allowed to link to our old home here (I will paste the text in instead, if required), and MASSIVE SPOILERS, but:

A post from the mindblowing secrets thread: Black scrawl writing deciphered . Also reposted on another forum.

I mean, I still don't get it to be honest lol

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I mean, I still don't get it to be honest lol

OK; let me explain it better. This is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest hidden things in video game history and it just shows what geniuses the Nier producers are; people should know this. So here goes:

There are these Hebrew-looking characters used all throughout the game. Hebrew-like but with little circles on each of the corners. They look kind of random and don't spell anything out. Most of the time.

But then you might notice one place where the letters seem to have structure. And now it's spoiler time:

When the Black Scrawl starts covering someone, only four different letters are to be seen. These letters seem to resemble א aleph, ח cheth, ז zayin, and ג gimel, which doesn't seem to mean anything, but when you discover the Hebrew-based "Celestial Alphabet" by Heinrich Agrippa in the 1600s, and find a particular font that has been made of it (and which the producers of this game unquestionably used), and see which keys type which letters, you'll see that these four are A, C, T, and G. (There used to be a site, called fontstock, where you could test-type things in this font; the site is gone now but the font is still around.)

Those four letters are the initials of adenosine, cytosine, thymine, and guanine, the four bases that make up human DNA.

So what the Black Scrawl really is (going into super spoiler territory here) is human DNA being put back into the replicant to make it human again.

The tone of the game of course becomes completely different once you discover this. And it's right there in the open for people who can find it. Just another one of many genius touches that make Nier an amazing game.

Nobody had ever commented on this until we did, back on our old forum. But Taro certainly knew of our efforts because in Automata they use this alphabet again and 2B and 9S are reading and explaining it; the players were meant to make sense of it this time. In the original Nier it's just an amazing easter egg.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I really would like to see a deep dive into the combat changes. Seems like it's better but it's still nowhere near enough.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
OK; let me explain it better. This is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest hidden things in video game history and it just shows what geniuses the Nier producers are; people should know this. So here goes:

There are these Hebrew-looking characters used all throughout the game. Hebrew-like but with little circles on each of the corners. They look kind of random and don't spell anything out. Most of the time.

But then you might notice one place where the letters seem to have structure. And now it's spoiler time:

When the Black Scrawl starts covering someone, only four different letters are to be seen. These letters seem to resemble א aleph, ח cheth, ז zayin, and ג gimel, which doesn't seem to mean anything, but when you discover the Hebrew-based "Celestial Alphabet" by Heinrich Agrippa in the 1600s, and find a particular font that has been made of it (and which the producers of this game unquestionably used), and see which keys type which letters, you'll see that these four are A, C, T, and G. (There used to be a site, called fontstock, where you could test-type things in this font; the site is gone now but the font is still around.)

Those four letters are the initials of adenosine, cytosine, thymine, and guanine, the four bases that make up human DNA.

So what the Black Scrawl really is (going into super spoiler territory here) is human DNA being put back into the replicant to make it human again.

The tone of the game of course becomes completely different once you discover this. And it's right there in the open for people who can find it. Just another one of many genius touches that make Nier an amazing game.

Nobody had ever commented on this until we did, back on our old forum. But Taro certainly knew of our efforts because in Automata they use this alphabet again and 2B and 9S are reading and explaining it; the players were meant to make sense of it this time. In the original Nier it's just an amazing easter egg.

Yeah, that's pretty incredible actually, thanks for explaining. It's been years since I played NieR so I'm really looking forward to going through this new version with this in mind now!

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
So if I have a PC (6700K / 1060 6GB - the GPU is lower than the recommended specs of a 1660) and a PS5, would I be better off getting this on PS5?

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
So if I have a PC (6700K / 1060 6GB - the GPU is lower than the recommended specs of a 1660) and a PS5, would I be better off getting this on PS5?
The game isn't optimised for the ps4 pro let alone the ps5, so your pc may reach higher settings . Unless you're banking on a future update for the ps5. The pc version does have some issues above 60 fps though.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah PS5 is a safer bet.
The game isn't optimised for the ps4 pro let alone the ps5, so your pc may reach higher settings . Unless you're banking on a future update for the ps5. The pc version does have some issues above 60 fps though.

Thanks! I can't see SE putting out a PS5 update for this, unfortunately.
I forgot Steam has a refund feature; I might just try it on PC & refund and get it on PS5 if it performs poorly.

Shackleton

Banned
Mar 19, 2021
"You are accompanied into each clash by a party of allies. There is Grimoire Weiss, a floating book with a haughty opinion of itself. He is voiced by Liam O'Brien, with a wafting English accent that has the unfortunate side-effect of sounding like Matt Berry, and thus binds his lines with unintentional humour. "

From the videogamer https://www.videogamer.com/reviews/nier-replicant-review

This is concerning, I don't know why they didn't cast an English voice actor for the role.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
"You are accompanied into each clash by a party of allies. There is Grimoire Weiss, a floating book with a haughty opinion of itself. He is voiced by Liam O'Brien, with a wafting English accent that has the unfortunate side-effect of sounding like Matt Berry, and thus binds his lines with unintentional humour. "

This is concerning, I don't know why they didn't cast an English voice actor for the role.
You mean replace the VO of the character people arguably love the most in part because of the VO?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
People have different opinions? I started with the original and liked automata a lot more personally.

That wasn't really the whole or kernel of my post. I'm saying the tone of the review made it sound like it was just objectively worse in every technical way and didn't like, ask about maybe the story, or the music, or like a whole lot of things. It just seems like a very small, narrow-minded review, and it felt very shallow and just kind of skimmed over a few technical things. Just a bizarre review and it just sounds like someone who was ready to dislike this game from the beginning and so covered some bullet points about it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

He does an excellent job. He voices a pompous, stuck-up book that is meant to at least be absurd in part because he is a pompous, stuck-up book.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Did this game never get an [OT]? I can't find anything in search under Nier and [OT] besides Automata.

I'm playing this having played the original and there's one thing that is driving me crazy trying to figure out if it's been changed from the original. In the Manor I remember one of the many RE references being the loading screens change to door style loading screens like RE1-3 PS1's style door loading. But in here there is just a creaking noise and a black screen, no door animation.

I looked online and can't find any footage from the PS3 version showing the door transition.

But in the Nier Wiki under RE References there is a screenshot of a door loading screen from the original:

But the screenshot is also called "not really in the game either", and since I can't find any information on this anywhere on the internet I can't figure out the answer to this and it's driving me a bit crazy. If anyone's played the original and has a better memory of this, please let me know the answer.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did this game never get an [OT]? I can't find anything in search under Nier and [OT] besides Automata.

I'm playing this having played the original and there's one thing that is driving me crazy trying to figure out if it's been changed from the original. In the Manor I remember one of the many RE references being the loading screens change to door style loading screens like RE1-3 PS1's style door loading. But in here there is just a creaking noise and a black screen, no door animation.

I looked online and can't find any footage from the PS3 version showing the door transition.

But in the Nier Wiki under RE References there is a screenshot of a door loading screen from the original:

But the screenshot is also called "not really in the game either", and since I can't find any information on this anywhere on the internet I can't figure out the answer to this and it's driving me a bit crazy. If anyone's played the original and has a better memory of this, please let me know the answer.

www.resetera.com

NieR Replicant |OTver.1.22474487139…| No One Stops OT

Source 1. What is NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... ? NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... is an updated version of the acclaimed 2010 action-RPG and predecessor of NieR:Automata. It’s being developed by Toylogic, in collaboration with series Creative Director YOKO TARO and producer Yosuke...

Also I am pretty sure the RE door transition wasn't in the mansion.