Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
gamespot 8
www.gamespot.com

Nier Replicant Review - Carrying The Weight Of The World

Though antiquated in some respects, Nier Replicant will tear your heart out with its timeless story, endearing and tragic characters, and beautiful soundtrack.

gameinformer 8.25
www.gameinformer.com

Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 Review - Nier Replicant Review – New Blood, Old Veins - Game Informer

Nier Replicant's colorful characters, sprawling story, and updated gameplay mechanics help make up for its old-fashioned quest design and empty world.

Last edited:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
We've come a long way from joystiq giving the og game a 0 because the reviewer couldn't figure out where to fish despite the obvious circle on the minimap.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Sounds good! Original was amazing. Updated version on Steam will be so good and looks like it delivers.

Still want Dad nier to be main though but oh well.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
from PC Gamer:

"There are no options related to framerate, and it appears to cap at 60 fps. You can bump up or down texture filtering, shadows, reflections, and LOD, but there could have been so much more here. I ran into a few odd technical problems, too, like serious frame drops when I accidentally unplugged my controller, or a persistent issue where my mouse point kept reappearing on my screen during cutscenes, which was not great for the game's sense of gravitas."

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This doesn't have a score but I find it an interesting write-up WRT how some of the low budget-ness of the original contributes to its appeal

www.vice.com

'Nier Replicant' Beautifully Updates a Classic Oddity, but Can't Replace It

Superbly polished, 'Nier Replicant' reminds us that rough edges can be as important as intentions.

The OG game was always about a bunch of outcasts and underdogs, it came out the same years as FFXIII if I recall. It looked and played like ass yet hit way harder than the behemoth FF did. That always struck me about it

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
Staying media blackout not reading these, but are there any reports on ps5 framerate? I have that and an xbox one x. I'd assume it runs best on ps5, but just looking for confirmation.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
from PC Gamer:

"There are no options related to framerate, and it appears to cap at 60 fps. You can bump up or down texture filtering, shadows, reflections, and LOD, but there could have been so much more here. I ran into a few odd technical problems, too, like serious frame drops when I accidentally unplugged my controller, or a persistent issue where my mouse point kept reappearing on my screen during cutscenes, which was not great for the game's sense of gravitas."
I knew the PC Port would have issues. I don't know. But the Nier franchise always runs best on Sony consoles oddly enough.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
This game is more than the sum of its parts. I don't think the critical reviewers understood that the first time around.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I consider Nier: Automata to be essential, as such I think if you're a mildly curious Automata fan, you'll come away from Nier disappointed. You have played the better Nier game already. This reissue is meant for lore nerds, for hardcore fans, for completionists, oldschool Nier evangelists, basically everyone who's already decided to buy the game before reading this.

Hmm, never played the original but this isn't selling me tbh, despite loving Automata.
from PC Gamer:

Doesn't sound like a great port. If I'm getting any time soon I'll be getting it for PC though as I can't stomach 1080p.. if they announced a XSX/PS5 version it might make my decision easier.
This game is more than the sum of its parts. I don't think the critical reviewers understood that the first time around.
I'd argue that describes Automata to a tee though. At least for me. If I wanted to be critical, I could have torn Automata to shreds. But I loved it precisely because it was more than a sum of its parts.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
from PC Gamer:

For fuck's sake...

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I consider Nier: Automata to be essential, as such I think if you're a mildly curious Automata fan, you'll come away from Nier disappointed. You have played the better Nier game already. This reissue is meant for lore nerds, for hardcore fans, for completionists, oldschool Nier evangelists, basically everyone who's already decided to buy the game before reading this.

Hmm, never played the original but this isn't selling me tbh, despite loving Automata.
don't Listen to that guy, if you like Automata story then for sure there will be things you will like the first NieR. There is a reason people really like this game even with it's bad gameplay

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason to play it for the story when you already know 2 big twists?

Kaine, some reviewers even spoiled that today, bravo! + enemies.
Are there new endings?

Last edited:

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
feels a little strange to see it review well nowadays

here's Dia Lacina's (great, imo) review for Waypoint/VICE Games that discusses both NieR and where remakes fit

www.vice.com

Superbly polished, 'Nier Replicant' reminds us that rough edges can be as important as intentions.
I bet a lot of reviewers today are viewing it through the lens of being the remake of the prequel to the critically acclaimed NieR Automata and that alone will help it review better than Gesalt.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, it's a classic of the genre in terms of review stories. to be fair, i can totally see why that would happen if you were already on your last rope with the game at that point

www.engadget.com

Hook, Line and Stinker: My failed Nier review

I played four long hours of Nier with the full intention of completing a review of the game. But after reaching the point you see in the video above, I, in my capacity as reviews editor, decided that it was inadvisable to continue with that plan. I have a beloved wife and cat that depend on my...

LMFAO

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
feels a little strange to see it review well nowadays

here's Dia Lacina's (great, imo) review for Waypoint/VICE Games that discusses both NieR and where remakes fit

www.vice.com

Honestly, I think it could well show that many reviewers are affected by opinions within the wider zeitgeist

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any talk of performance differences between the two platforms?

I'm really undecided if I wanna get this on Xbox or PS4