• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017

Oof, that big again even on Switch? Granted, that's half the size it has on PS4 - but that's most likely because most UE4 indie games double their size after the first patch on that console.

Anyway, I still wonder what they dev team did to get such a bloated size? Night in the Woods is a fine game with a great design, but it doesn't contain any FMV, no voice tracks and 2D graphics surely can't take up that much space if you use any kind of compression?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
awesome, been waiting to play this. will be great to play in bed with some headphones while the wife is sleeping.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like this will be my first Switch purchase this year. Good start from what I've heard.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Buy this game ya'll. One of the best of last year*.

*If you're into narrative-focused games with an emphasis on characters, dialogue, and a strong sense of place.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Story of a college dropout coming back to her hometown and finding out everything has changed. It's a story about the struggles of young adulthood and what it's like to reconnect with friends who have moved on from you. There are some elements of conspiracy that crop up too, but really the highlight are the interactions between the main group of characters. Gameplay consists mainly of just talking to people (and the occasional mini-game), so you really get what you give with this one, it's up to you to go and seek out the conversations worth having with the townsfolk. You also day to day make different choices of how to spend your time, so you can't see everything. I haven't done multiple playthroughs but I intend to revisit it at some point. It's so earnest and it's a really incredible time, I just finished it on Xbox at the beginning of the year and liked it way more than I was expecting.

It really nails everything it's trying to do. It's just super light on gameplay, but that certainly didn't detract from my experience at all.

ooh cool, thanks

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Whoa, how have I never heard of this?! Everything I'm reading and seeing sounds right up my alley. I'm in on Thursday.

"No fascists at this party!" Lol

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Awesome! I'd been holding off on replaying to see the new content in hopes of grabbing it on Switch soon.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
great news
a few days ago i was taking a look at the eshop looking for it, for some reason i was 100% sure that it was already out.
well, day one for sure!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Night in the Woods was one of my absolute favorites from last year. Top 3 game in a year with some giants. If you haven't played it you should 100% jump in.

I don't see a reason for me to rebuy it though unfortunately.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. The text bubbles in the trailer were reminiscent of it. I really enjoyed that game on Switch over the Holidays. If this is similar, I'll pick it up.
imo, if you don't wanna be all "you can't compare two open world games because slight differences in design* about it, it is definitely in the same wheelhouse. Personally I much prefer Night in the Woods. The writing is seriously great.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was going to pick this back up on Steam, but guess I'll just start over here. Neat.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's a story-driven game but how is the game part?
I don't care a lot about stories in videogames. Only TLOU and FFVII really interested me.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
imo, if you don't wanna be all "you can't compare two open world games because slight differences in design* about it, it is definitely in the same wheelhouse. Personally I much prefer Night in the Woods. The writing is seriously great.
Neat, sounds good. I'll definitely pick this up then.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care a lot about stories in videogames. Only TLOU and FFVII really interested me.

This game is 100% based on the strength of it's story, music, and visuals. If you don't care for stories in games, you probably won't care for this. I do think it's one of my favorite narratives in games.

How long is a playthrough of this game?

Like 6 hours i think? You can't see everything in one playthrough though.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Hahaha, really out of nowhere. Have been waiting for this one, will buy as soon as available.

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe not for you then? Gameplay is very light. Most of the game control I guess could be described as 2D platforming but you're really just walking around the town and occasionally jumping on roofs and whatnot, but that's all in the name of exploration and not for any sort of benefit other than to find a hidden story bit. Your character is also in a band so you sometimes play a short rhythm game along to their songs, and you trigger a bunch of other random mini games by hanging out with your friends and exploring, they're funny and novel but Mario Odyssey this is not. This is a game for people who are okay with just doing a lot of reading, people who can get fulfillment out of character development where they won't get it through satisfying mechanics.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy this just based on how much Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb seemed to love it.

It really feels like there was supposed to be a Nintendo Direct and the arrangement got reconfigured at short notice. Between the mini direct, Scribblenauts Showdown, this, Nintendo Selects, and the rumoured Thursday video release, it just feels like Nintendo decided not to do it.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a gem. I won't double dip as I've already played through it twice on the ps4, but if you like life is strange or oxenfree this is a must (I think I like it more than both of those games, good as they are).

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 game for me last year, but I don't think I'm going to double dip unless there is going to be a physical version, which it sounds like there's not.