• Open-world forever

Votes: 1,004 75.4%
  • Multiplayer forever

Votes: 327 24.6%

• Total voters

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Just because a game is an Open-World doesn't mean that the world has to the size of the universe.

So if the devs can just focus on content density in an open world, that would not only be great, but probably a breath of fresh air from the current wide as the ocean, deep as a puddle open world design.

With multi-player only games your experience will always depend on other players, which can often be a nightmare, so Open-World all the way!

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Uhh Open World? MP is incredibly destructive to a games pipeline, you can do a lot of interesting things in an open world. MP requires sooo many other factors.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
thanks genie i love open worlds and hate multiplayer. you solved two problems at once!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Mulitplayer mandatory means it is only a multiplayer game or it has a multiplayer mode? Cause if it is added multiplayer, it is easy to avoid that part.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Define "unavoidable."

You start playing the game, and within five minutes, you are either thrown into some form of multiplayer that directly affects your experience (co-op/pvp mission, invasion, other players shopping at the same store you're in buying up or selling items that affects the stock available to you, etc.) or you are engaging with the open world in some tangible way (current mission will involve some form of travel, will need to go out to gather a given resource, or systemic stuff like a roving herd of wild animals can complicate current objective).

Mulitplayer mandatory means it is only a multiplayer game or it has a multiplayer mode? Cause if it is added multiplayer, it is easy to avoid that part.

Multiplayer/open-world is unavoidable while playing. You are always engaging with the one chosen—there's no point at which the open-world games feel like linear experiences, or no point where multiplayer isn't affecting your game.

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Open world, i NEED to see how the next iteration of a tetris game does that. The train wreck would be gloriois.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
If the multiplayer is optional, then multiplayer.
If the multiplayer is not optional and you have to interact with another human either locally or online in order to play every game, then open world.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Open world. Light work. Not every game needs to be open world, but I'm never mad when a game IS open world. If every game is multiplayer I'd be livid.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Open world easy
People on this forum vastly overrate how "bad" open world games are or how "empty" they are. If anything, they're chocked with content if you want to do it otherwise they're at least cool spaces to move around in. I actually don't even find them that empty nowadays

Looking at the poll it's really a vocal minority sort of thing. MP only is losing badly.

People on Era don't have friends.

My roommate is one of the most personable guys I know. Loves going out, loves hanging out with everyone else in the house. He hates MP outside of fighting games, and rarely plays those. Why? And I quote: "People ruin my gaming experiences."

Takes all kinds to make a world lol.

Multiplayer/open-world is unavoidable while playing. You are always engaging with the one chosen—there's no point at which the open-world games feel like linear experiences, or no point where multiplayer is affecting your game.

I know you're OP but I'm choosing to ignore this because there are tons of open worlds where missions will occasionally feel like linear experiences. XD

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Could not care less if a game adds drop-in multiplayer or connected feature. It's fun chaos in basically every kind of game, including most traditionally single-player games. And the option to play with multiple people doesn't harm single-player games unless they severely modify the design of the game to specifically revolve around multiple players. We've seen this in Souls games for over a decade now.

If I'm forced to interact with other players INSTEAD of playing PvE, then I choose to nuke all video games from a tremendous height.

Edit: OP's binaries are so extreme they do not describe a single real video game. So I'm choosing to ignore them lol

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
You start playing the game, and within five minutes, you are either thrown into some form of multiplayer that directly affects your experience (co-op/pvp mission, invasion, people other players shopping at the same e you're in buying up or selling items that affects the stock available to you, etc.) or you are engaging with the open world in some tangible way (current mission will involve some form of travel, will need to go out to gather a given resource, or systemic stuff like a roving herd of wild animals can complicate current objective).

Multiplayer/open-world is unavoidable while playing. You are always engaging with the one chosen—there's no point at which the open-world games feel like linear experiences, or no point where multiplayer is affecting your game.
So does that mean under the "open world" nightmare, Elden Ring does not have Legacy Dungeons and is 100% just the bloat parts?

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Open world doesn't have to mean sprawling. There's a ton of potential variety here. This isn't hard.

Multiplayer mostly sucks. I can live without the handful that actually hook me.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
You start playing the game, and within five minutes, you are either thrown into some form of multiplayer that directly affects your experience (co-op/pvp mission, invasion, people other players shopping at the same e you're in buying up or selling items that affects the stock available to you, etc.) or you are engaging with the open world in some tangible way (current mission will involve some form of travel, will need to go out to gather a given resource, or systemic stuff like a roving herd of wild animals can complicate current objective).

That doesn't sound too bad. I hope we get emotes 😌

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Open world easily.

Forcing multiplayer would create a larger segment of griefers/annoying/loud/etc players.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I wish every game had co-op. So many games out there are great, but I'd love them even more if I could play with a friend or three.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Open world. Though it'll compromise some games, it's nothing compared to the uncurated chaos and immersion breaking elements of multiplayer, especially when it comes to certain stories and subject matter.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
Since I don't think we are saying it is to the exclusion of the other, I'd rather have multiplayer in every game. Open world seems like it would introduce a lot of burdens on certain genres.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer and I based it on the Souls formula. Most of it is open world but since there's technically areas that are not accessible on the same map in most of these games, multiplayer is the more important aspect.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Gaming as I've gotten older is almost exclusively now hanging time with my buddies when we can arrange it.
Having access to EVERY gaming experience over CO-OP/MP would be truly amazing.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Open world.

I can explore and have fun at my own leisure and don't have to worry about some other try hard coming in and killing me every 3 seconds.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
MP. I just don't have the time budget for open world game. Games packed with "content" to keep people with unlimited time budget happy.

McPedie

Jun 9, 2022
I would prefer Open world, because it would mean each game would have a 50/50 chance of being just baren or interactable

If every game was multiplayer, even if it was super super good, there is gonna be a day where they kill the servers and the game is unplayable

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Open world. I can at least ignore the bloat in an open world game. It's hard to ignore the multiplayer in a multiplayer game though.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Everything open world. Developers who aren't good at making open worlds or don't have huge budgets can just exploit the system by making a game that's still linear but has a massive empty ass landscape around the obvious path you are supposed to go. And give players a waypoint.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Multiplayer is one of my biggest turn-offs for a game, and I actually like open world games quite a bit, so this is an easy choice

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I could conceivably enjoy open world games for the rest of my life but after some point multiplayer just isn't viable, unless it is card games or somesuch which doesn't sound as interesting.

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
20220714_210629azjjo.gif

Remember when Capcom was shoe-horning co-op into all it's franchises (Resi, Dead Rising, Lost Planet etc)? Those were the days..

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather ignore an unnecessary multiplayer no one asked for than than an unnecessarily large, open map the game was mistakenly designed around.

Also its nice to have the option of human interaction when you could use it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather ignore an unnecessary multiplayer no one asked for than than an unnecessarily large, open map the game was mistakenly designed around.

Except you can`t ignore forced multiplayer. At all. Fallout 76, one game that people insist "isnt like that", i keep bouncing off because i cant go five minutes without someone appearing where i am, killing the enemies im fighting, constantly inviting me to join to something and when i dont angrily plink at me. As much as era likes complaining about bloat, nobody is forcing you to do sidequests or explore 100% of the map. I literally can't play F76 alone (unless i pay up for a private server or something like that which is ridiculous - paying to get rid of people)

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I don't even have a big distaste to open world games to begin with, and I've never been a multiplayer kinda guy, so the answer is easy for me.