• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can gather talent, open new studios or even acquire them, they can greenlight a good looking pitch and actually try to fund and market it, if they really wanted or cared.
They're just not comfortable with anything that isn't a big, cinematic western action game at this point, and they only care about the US market.
Also Nintendo shows that being an hardware and software developer that isn't costantly ashamed of having an explicit and blatant Japanese identity can grant you a wide global appeal just fine.
Thats an entirely different topic than the point I was questioning but I'll address it. One, that's an even bigger risk for not much reward. Two, it also assumes that there's multiple studios worth of AAA capable talent out there that is afit for Sony. Three, Sony shouldnt be singled out for that when all three platform holders have arent expanding their first party studios much outside of MS who had several reasons why they were forced to do so.

The bottom line is no one can accuse Sony of not rewarding their japanese studios with more autonomy and wealth after they've met a certain bar of success. They were willing to do that with studios that weren't owned by them (KojiPro).

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
That's funny because there's nothing inherently Japanese about most of Nintendo's games. That's what make them appealing to everyone.
Even more funny is the fact that Pokèmon is one of the biggest property in the world and it's anime, BoTW is anime as hell too and the last Mario entries got big, prominent Japan-themed leves, but that would not be the point anyway.
The point is that they're never afraid of publicly showing their japaneseness and to feature the weirdest anime games even in their biggest, western oriented marketing events and it seems they're doing just fine. Also, a lot of their biggest B-list ips are super Japanese.

Thats an entirely different topic than the point I was questioning but I'll address it. One, that's an even bigger risk for not much reward. Two, it also assumes that there's multiple studios worth of AAA capable talent out there that is afit for Sony. Three, Sony shouldnt be singled out for that when all three platform holders have arent expanding their first party studios much outside of MS who had several reasons why they were forced to do so.

The bottom line is no one can accuse Sony of not rewarding their japanese studios with more autonomy and wealth after they've met a certain bar of success. They were willing to do that with studios that weren't owned by them (KojiPro).
They can fund Japanese projects just fine, even second party ones, even non-huge ones, they just don't, and when they do they either sent them to die with little to no marketing whatsoever or they neuter and sanitize them so much they just look like western indie games. They just don't care about anything that isn't an huge, American focus tested safe production anymore and it's really hard to argue otherwise.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Someone convince Sony to slap From Software with a bag of cash and get Vampire Hunter AAA Action games made please. That's my dream game and no, that one that came out doesn't count.

Fuck, new movie or series too while we're at it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Those breathing style animation would be insane.

HiddenBoringHammerheadbird-size_restricted.gif

Imagine having this in a fighting game.
I'm saying. The different breathing styles. The Demon Arts.

Whew.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Sony will finally fund an Avatar: the Last Airbender fighting game under the Arcsys Cel-shaded style.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even more funny is the fact that Pokèmon is one of the biggest property in the world and it's anime, BoTW is anime as hell too and the last Mario entries got big, prominent Japan-themed leves, but that would not be the point anyway.
The point is that they're never afraid of publicly showing their japaneseness and to feature the weirdest anime games even in their biggest, western oriented marketing events and it seems they're doing just fine. Also, a lot of their biggest B-list ips are super Japanese.
It's not like Persona 5 got a huge push by Sony or anything lol.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Goes without saying, why does it take long for a proper Grand Order console game besides VR...?

They could port SEGA's Grand Order Arcade for a start.

And then maybe make an original spin-off of Grand Order or something...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I for one welcome our new anime overlords.

But seriously, better anime games can only be a good thing right?

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So, I'd say some context is important here.

Historically, this is how Sony manages their businesses.

Sony Corp:
- identifies what part of the overall organization is key to the success of the entire Sony Group
- allocates the budget necessary for each organization (games, movie, insurance,etc)
- lets them loose to do whatever is necessary entirely on their own to deliver the financial goals

This is largely why "One Sony" that has long been talked about has always fallen flat, and why we see so many weird overlaps like "why is Aniplex funding their own games and not working with SIE". Synergy is hard for corporations when at the end of the day, each organization are beholden to their own financial responsibilities. As someone who's had the displeasure of trying to work within a large organization trying to get two different functions to collaborate, trust me - it's a lot harder than it looks.

For the first time in a while, Sony Corp seems to be taking a more hands-on approach when it comes to corporate level organizational vision, and them more or less saying they want to bet big on anime as a corporate level vision for entertainment, looking at the Corp level Bilibili/etc investments, as well as the Sony Group reorg plan does bring a new layer of curiosity as to how they'll utilize the corporate level pressure for synergy.

Mind you, we have already seen this to a degree with the Azure partnership. Sony of the Hirai days would had let SIE do their own thing of how to proceed with cloud gaming, whereas Azure is clearly a situation where Sony Corp basically went and sign an corporate level deal that encompasses all of Sony.

This anime initiative hasn't fully started yet at a corp level, the new structure will only take shape next year. As of right now, it's still pretty much a situation where each part of Sony does their own thing. We'll see if next year, Yoshida puts pressure on SIE to embrace their long-supressed weebness.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So, I'd say some context is important here.

Historically, this is how Sony manages their businesses.

Sony Corp:
- identifies what part of the overall organization is key to the success of the entire Sony Group
- allocates the budget necessary for each organization (games, movie, insurance,etc)
- lets them loose to do whatever is necessary entirely on their own to deliver the financial goals

This is largely why "One Sony" that has long been talked about has always fallen flat, and why we see so many weird overlaps like "why is Aniplex funding their own games and not working with SIE". Synergy is hard for corporations when at the end of the day, each organization are beholden to their own financial responsibilities. As someone who's had the displeasure of trying to work within a large organization trying to get two different functions to collaborate, trust me - it's a lot harder than it looks.

For the first time in a while, Sony Corp seems to be taking a more hands-on approach when it comes to corporate level organizational vision, and them more or less saying they want to bet big on anime as a corporate level vision for entertainment, looking at the Corp level Bilibili/etc investments, as well as the Sony Group reorg plan does bring a new layer of curiosity as to how they'll utilize the corporate level pressure for synergy.

Mind you, we have already seen this to a degree with the Azure partnership. Sony of the Hirai days would had let SIE do their own thing of how to proceed with cloud gaming, whereas Azure is clearly a situation where Sony Corp basically went and sign an corporate level deal that encompasses all of Sony.

This anime initiative hasn't fully started yet at a corp level, the new structure will only take shape next year. As of right now, it's still pretty much a situation where each part of Sony does their own thing. We'll see if next year, Yoshida puts pressure on SIE to embrace their long-supressed weebness.

So essentially Sony, as a united front, will be pushing to spread the good word of Anime across all their entertainment branches?

Damn, all the head honchos must really like Kimetsu no Yaiba

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
I see that Seven Deady Sins is in the top 10 popular today on Netflix in The Netherlands. This is the first time seeing an anime in there, or perhaps I'd always overlooked it. I'd never realized how big anime actually is, tbh..

Seems like it's a Sony (A-1 studio) produced(?) show, too. I guess that explains why they want to make anime a new pillar of their business.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
www.resetera.com

"Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train" becomes biggest film to ever open in Japan ($44M); now #2 grossing JP film ever ($264.3M)

https://deadline.com/2020/10/demon-slayer-tenet-japan-china-global-international-box-office-1234599364/ Nothing stops this train *ba-dum!* EDIT: Now it's the 2nd highest grossing movie ever in Japan

Sony building that Anime empire from the back of Kimetsu no Yaiba

Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train shattered all-time opening records. The film, which debuted on Friday October 16, as opposed to the usual Saturday/Sunday session, grossed $44M (4.623B yen) across the three-day. It is the global box office leader this weekend and Japan's biggest launch in industry history.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I know Aniplex is publishing the PS4 game of demon slayer but nobody knows the developer yet. Bamco's offering of anime games have been nothing that amazing but they sell nonetheless. The Fate Extra remake doesn't look too bad but that's fate money. I expect little in terms of quality, but i'd neat to see some higher budget games, but it's probably gonna be mostly gacha. I'd be hilarious to see an entire anime sizzle reel at their investor meetings again.

Ex Libris

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I know Aniplex is publishing the PS4 game of demon slayer but nobody knows the developer yet. Bamco's offering of anime games have been nothing that amazing but they sell nonetheless. The Fate Extra remake doesn't look too bad but that's fate money. I expect little in terms of quality, but i'd neat to see some higher budget games, but it's probably gonna be mostly gacha. I'd be hilarious to see an entire anime sizzle reel at their investor meetings again.

Isnt the kimetsu game being developed by cyberconnect?

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the KnY game is great and sells a ton because I desperately want another company that isn't Bamco doing anime licensed games. As an aside it's funny how despite being wildly under budgetted the KLK game played better than basically all Bamco arena fighters not named Gundam.
I know Aniplex is publishing the PS4 game of demon slayer but nobody knows the developer yet
I thought it was CC2?