• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Adding Daisy as a playable character was a genius move.

kmEVykQ.gif

NOTE: The eye bug was fixed in the final game.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Beast first week. And it's going to be evergreen...

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
ASP somewhere between $60-70.00? $300-350 million in WW.revenue for the first weekend, close to half of RDR2 ($725 million), on <1/4 the install base (<30M Switches vs >120M PS4/XBO).

EDIT: Fixed math.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U version of Smash sold 5 million overall right? I'm sure Ultimate will likely sell more than Brawl and be the best selling game in the franchise easily.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
As a moderate fan of the series since Melee, I'm happy at the numbers, but I still don't know how this series started doing these numbers.

Smash has nothing of the usual Nintendo casual-friendly game that sells in the millions. It's way too huge, too messy, too confusing in so many ways to cater to the Mario Kart/Party/Tennis or Wii Sports audience. And for it to outsell other fighting game franchises that have been around for years longer, are much more realistic in their presentation, and are available on multiple consoles and on PC, is just something I can't wrap my head around.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well. Smash only sell to current Switch owner Era told me. So sales is going to stop fast.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a moderate fan of the series since Melee, I'm happy at the numbers, but I still don't know how this series started doing these numbers.

Smash has nothing of the usual Nintendo casual-friendly game that sells in the millions. It's way too huge, too messy, too confusing in so many ways to cater to the Mario Kart/Party/Tennis or Wii Sports audience. And for it to outsell other fighting game franchises that have been around for years longer, are much more realistic in their presentation, and are available on multiple consoles and on PC, is just something I can't wrap my head around.
The basic concept is more then easy enough to jump into, but complex enough to give those looking for depth something to do.

People love Nintendo.

I also don't get how realistic presentation is a positive. I fucking hate realism in games.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
ASP somewhere between $60-70.00? $300-350 million in WW.revenue for the first weekend, close to half of RDR2 ($725 million), on <1/3 the install base.
wait, let's say there was around 27M switch sold at the end of November, that's way less than the RDRII install base which was at least 120M (80M PS4 and 40M xbox). It would be closer to 1/4 of the install base

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
I believe that RDR2 revenue was for 12 days no?

Nope, 1st weekend.

Last week, the company announced sell-through of $725 million during the game's first three days of release.

wait, let's say there was around 27M switch sold at the end of November, that's way less than the RDRII install base which was at least 120M (80M PS4 and 40M xbox). It would be closer to 1/4 of the install base

Yup. Botched my fractions.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For many people Smash is just a casual game.
i-XZhxqqp-2100x20000.jpg

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The huge amount of content previous smash games offered especially single player stuff is what made me first fall in love with the series, took me a long time to finally understand how to properly play but I had hella fun playing the game against CPU's / friends anyway I wanted growing up. Like I'd play matches with pokeballs only, spend hours upon hours trying to see what each item do, try to get the best home run contest record, struggle doing break the target for Jigglypuff not to mention the games always had a great collection of music to listen to, hell smash had it's own addicting achievements/ trophy system too that also doubled as a encyclopedia into Nintendo's history in vault mode.

This made me a huge fan of the series that now a new smash is always a really big event.

Games like Mario party and Mario kart are great for casual gatherings but really really empty when playing alone so I never got into them as much as a kid that had no siblings and smash always had that addicting nature of 1 more match and it always felt so different and fresh due to the variety of stuff in the games

Also smash is simple that you don't have to remember combo inputs like street fighter or mortal Kombat. Half circle does what? Etc

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not even a fan of Smash series. And I bought the game as well as paid for Switch online after being pissed they are charging for online. I guess Nintnedo knew they can get me in the end.

I'm having a blast with this game and this is the first Smash I got into.