• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered about this, if by one knows...with the NBK soundtrack, how much did they leave Trent alone to curate all those different songs into the scenes, and how much was dictated by, say, Oliver Stone knowing which song he pictured playing over a certain scene? Because the soundtrack seemed so grafted to the actual scenes more than most movies that I wonder how his process went for this.

Kreizler

Oct 28, 2017
PVD
Wow, my wife surprise got one for me. I had to be out when they started, but I just got home and on wifi and just saw some single tickets still there for at least one Boston show.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gat damn, $165 for pit with fees lmfao. No wonder the resell ones are trying to get $200+ minimum. Tickets still up here but still wait and hope I can get them under face in November.

Anyway, is it weird I'm a late era Nin fan? Like With Teeth got me into them, and it was only after Year Zero came out that I finally got into their earlier stuff.

I've heard the Fragile top to bottom but I think I need to revisit TDS, Broken, and PHM. Those I only vaguely remember.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
I'm always kinda blown away that Trent heard Queen's "Get Down Make Love" and thought, "yeah, I can do something with that..."

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got SF tickets - glad that Bill Graham is all GA and they were only $80+ fees. The acoustics aren't great there, but it's easy to get a good spot so whatevs. Saw Jack White and RTJ there recently so it'll be cool to see the Holy Trinity in one spot.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gat damn, $165 for pit with fees lmfao. No wonder the resell ones are trying to get $200+ minimum. Tickets still up here but still wait and hope I can get them under face in November.

Anyway, is it weird I'm a late era Nin fan? Like With Teeth got me into them, and it was only after Year Zero came out that I finally got into their earlier stuff.

I've heard the Fragile top to bottom but I think I need to revisit TDS, Broken, and PHM. Those I only vaguely remember.

Funny, because then you have people like me to got into NIN with Broken/The Downward Spiral and most stuff past With Teeth (and parts of With Teeth), though I actually really enjoy Year Zero

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
LOL Trent responded to someone bitching why Bad Witch is an LP and not EP.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...P-new-album-out-6-22-2018?p=409947#post409947

Want to know why it's being labelled an LP instead of an EP?
EPs show up with singles in Spotify and other streaming services = they get lost easier.
EPs feel less important in today's music-isn't-as-important-as-it-once-was world. Why make it easier to ignore?
We're not charging any more for it so why get worked up about it?
Quantum550: suck my entire cock.​

T-Min

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
I used to be really cold on NIN. The first time I ever heard Head Like a Hole on the radio, I thought it was basically the Shadow the Hedgehog version of Depeche Mode. I finally started to change my tune after someone showed me We're in This Together, which I actually really liked. After that, I gave The Downward Spiral a fair shot and now it's probably one of my all-time favorite albums. Pretty Hate Machine grew on me pretty quickly, too. On the first two albums, at least, I think Trent is just theatrical enough to make the edgelord factor work in his favor. In fact, I'd say The Downward Spiral is actually kind of brilliant for being a concept album, with every song contributing to its dark narrative. He really brings a creepy, macabre musical sensibility to lyrics that might sound tryhard coming from anyone else. I feel like the lyrical quality kind of suffers after he drops TDS's conceptual angle, though. The Fragile and With Teeth are very strong albums musically, to be sure, but the lyrics get a bit wearying after a while. Still good stuff, though, definitely.

I have to say, though, that out of the NIN albums I've heard (PHM up to With Teeth), The Fragile is...probably my least favorite? I don't know. There are some great songs on it, but the fully instrumental tracks just feel like filler to me. Like, I'm all for making a double album, but I think that if you're going to make an album that long, you should at least commit to making every song count. Say what you will about Smashing Pumpkins, but I think they really got that right with Mellon Collie. I dunno, it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. That said, The Wretched and We're in This Together will always be classics.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just Like You Imagined, Pilgrimage, and La Mer are essential NIN tracks, I don't think you'll find too many NIN fans who have the same view on the Fragile's instrumentals lol.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Mellon Collie is my go-to example of a bloated double-album that could have been trimmed down to a superb one-disc experience. I much prefer Siamese Dream and Adore to either side of it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I love mixing NIN songs. In fact, NIN is what got me into music production as a hobby. TR's production is top notch and I will forever learn from his work.

Here's a literal mashup of "The Wretched (Version)" and "Me, I'm Not" that I did when "Me, I'm Not" was leaked in the bathroom lol.

I hope y'all like it!

Last edited:

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017

http://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...P-new-album-out-6-22-2018?p=409947#post409947

EPs show up with singles in Spotify and other streaming services = they get lost easier.
EPs feel less important in today's music-isn't-as-important-as-it-once-was world. Why make it easier to ignore?

The best, this legit made me lol. Poor Quantum550 getting lit up.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Quantum550: suck my entire cock.
tumblr_mpnwh6GVi71sx39kuo1_500.gif

T-Min

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
Just Like You Imagined, Pilgrimage, and La Mer are essential NIN tracks, I don't think you'll find too many NIN fans who have the same view on the Fragile's instrumentals lol.
Eh. Maybe I need to give 'em another shot. I guess I just get kind of antsy during instrumental tracks if I feel like they occur frequently across an album. I love A Warm Place, though.

Mellon Collie is my go-to example of a bloated double-album that could have been trimmed down to a superb one-disc experience. I much prefer Siamese Dream and Adore to either side of it.
Huh. I guess I admire Mellon Collie for having so much variation across 28 songs. It's really the only album of its length that I've ever felt like listening to beginning to end multiple times. Siamese Dream and Adore probably are tighter albums, tho'.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I always wondered about this, if by one knows...with the NBK soundtrack, how much did they leave Trent alone to curate all those different songs into the scenes, and how much was dictated by, say, Oliver Stone knowing which song he pictured playing over a certain scene? Because the soundtrack seemed so grafted to the actual scenes more than most movies that I wonder how his process went for this.

As someone who read a lot of interviews etc at the time, it seemed Reznor had a lot of freedom putting NBK together but less so when curating Lost Highway - Lynch mandated Rammstein had to be in there, for example.

I don't have much to back this up with apart from <20 year old memories though, so pinch of salt and all that.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Wow. Trent's an asshole.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
there are some NIN songs that i looooove, like terrible lie, discipline, the frail, the fragile, lights in the sky, downward spiral, a warm place, mr. self destruct...

but dude, so much of his work is just noise. and i've listened to most of the NIN albums so many times. most of the songs never become listenable or appealing. what do you guys find appealing about his work? what brings you back?

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just Like You Imagined is one of my all time favorite tracks. It's unreal.
It's amazing, probably my favorite instrumental track of all time, it's one track I can see why they don't care to do live because there just ain't no getting close to it. Would still wet myself if they did it at my show.

there are some NIN songs that i looooove, like terrible lie, discipline, the frail, the fragile, lights in the sky, downward spiral, a warm place, mr. self destruct...

but dude, so much of his work is just noise. and i've listened to most of the NIN albums so many times. most of the songs never become listenable or appealing. what do you guys find appealing about his work? what brings you back?
I def prefer his melodic but angry songs. Probably why I'm more into his late era stuff. I love me a good electro or rock song with a killer chorus, feels like a whirlwind.

On the flip side I love Trent's production and sometimes the ride of a song I wouldn't normally care for is worth it just to get to a particular musical moment. I probably played The Four of Us Are Dying hundreds of times because I loved the build up to that last sinister riff, same with Black Noise. Or what about that disco break down at the end of All the Love in the World?

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Trent's an asshole.

Why? Quantum550 went on some weird rant about how he shouldn't be in the music industry because of a meaningless label on the album (as noted, being sold at EP price). I agree with Trent here. These are not the fans that people want, sorry.

Quantum550 said:
That's my thought too.
I wonder why the "representative" of NIN is even in the music business to issue a statement like that?
I know very well how an album length is and a EP length is. This is an EP.
You can consult every source out that this duration is of an EP.
An album would be 7 tracks at minimum and over 30 minutes.
Fucking hate music industry sometimes.

From what I've heard until now, Add Violence ranks #1 to my taste and NTAE ranks #2. This will probably rank a low #3.
The EP must have delayed for obvious reasons... (all apologies, etc) but the real fact is lack of inspiration.
That is the truth I think.

After AV I was expecting something really bombastic...

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Why? Quantum550 went on some weird rant about how he shouldn't be in the music industry because of a meaningless label on the album (as noted, being sold at EP price). I agree with Trent here. These are not the fans that people want, sorry.

Naw. Singling out a fan because his ego is fragile makes him a piece of shit.

Oct 26, 2017

As a fan, I wouldn't want less then the entire cock.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
What's the most "out of place" NIN related item you've seen. I just came across this apron on Amazon...

51fuUUtkQUL._SL1000_.jpg

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I've been watching The Vietnam War, and I've been trying to pay attention to the OST. I want to pick it up (the OST) but a few of the tracks are from Ghosts...can anyone tell me if most of the music is from Ghosts i-iv, cause I'd rather not spend the money if that's the case.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, so I've been watching The Vietnam War, and I've been trying to pay attention to the OST. I want to pick it up (the OST) but a few of the tracks are from Ghosts...can anyone tell me if most of the music is from Ghosts i-iv, cause I'd rather not spend the money if that's the case.

I own both and there aren't any Ghosts songs on the Vietnam ost.

Track listing is:

LESS LIKELY
FOUR ENCLOSED WALLS
THE FOREVER RAIN
REMNANTS
OTHER WAYS TO GET TO THE SAME PLACE
TORN POLAROID
BEFORE DAWN
WHAT COMES BACK
JUSTIFIED RESPONSE
COUNTING TICKS
A WORLD AWAY
THE RIGHT THINGS
PASSING THE POINT
STRANGERS IN LOCKSTEP
BEFORE AND AFTER FAITH
THE SAME DREAM
HAUNTED

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I believe some of the tracks on Vietnam are reworkings of Ghosts / Social Network tracks.

Yea, in the actual documentary there werw a few songs playing that were from Ghost. Anyhow I went and listened to some of the tracks on youtube and those are all new to me. I'll consider a purchase after Bad Witch.

Oct 27, 2017
So do we expect that the Amazon pre-sales to have whatever physical element that other pre-orders get? Is there even a confirmed physical element for Bad Witch?

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
So do we expect that the Amazon pre-sales to have whatever physical element that other pre-orders get? Is there even a confirmed physical element for Bad Witch?

There's no physical component for Bad Witch. Some are speculating that the fans are the physical component with the presale experience a couple weeks ago.

The vinyl version of Bad Witch is significantly cheaper on Amazon than it is on the NIN store and it should come with a download card.