Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
This thread isn't the place for you to show off your parenting skills. We've all been kids and can all contribute from that perspective. Knock off the "I know better than you" posts.
But to throw out these statements that kids who have these issues simply suffer from shitty parenting is OK? What a joke

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Addiction is a far more complicated issue than its being made out to be here. Yeah, some of those kids might just need to have their parents disconnect them for a bit. But a true addiction has underlying root causes that need to be addressed.

Imagine saying that all you need to do to cure an alcoholic is cut off their supply of booze.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except I do.

This above-it-all pretentious attitude from some of you is really gross.

I'm an intelligent person. I understand when I see someone being a good parent.
I think that they are trying to explain to you that your knowledge is limited, so you may know "fantastic parents with great kids" and still not know everything that is going on in the home.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Why the fuck are they sending their kids to rehab. Parent the kid like an adult, don't just dump them on someone else.

This is sad.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Addiction is a far more complicated issue than its being made out to be here. Yeah, some of those kids might just need to have their parents disconnect them for a bit. But a true addiction has underlying root causes that need to be addressed.

Imagine saying that all you need to do to cure an alcoholic is cut off their supply of booze.
But this is going to the nth degree in saying that all these kids actually have an "addiction" problem similar to that of an alcoholic.

It just isn't true. While sure, many kids might actually have a mental illness that leads to an addiction problem, most of the reports of parents saying their kids are "addicted" are just using that term loosely - their kids just play too many video games and that's it.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The best way is to not give a people a bottle of liquor every time they're bored or angry in the first place

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. A kid can be a good kid, and have good parents, and still become an addict. There are so many factors to addiction that cannot simply be waved away by "parents didn't take the Playstation away enough".

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have a good resource from someone learned in psychology as well as familiar with video games that discuss game addiction? I'm curious to learn about the psychology of it for the benefit of my kids. I agree a lot of it is on the parents but it is obviously a more nuanced conversation than that. I'm especially interested in hearing an expert discuss what makes certain games worse. For example, I do seem to notice my son seems more upset when he has to stop playing Fortnite vs other games.

I'm not asking for advice, as we're involved and fine. But are there insightful videos out there like a Ted talk or something?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please dial back the hostility guys, I don't really want this thread to be locked because of a parents vs non-parents war.

I think there is a real discussion to be made over monitoring children and video games but too many people are throwing around the term 'bad parenting' here.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But this is going to the nth degree in saying that all these kids actually have an "addiction" problem similar to that of an alcoholic.

It just isn't true. While sure, many kids might actually have a mental illness that leads to an addiction problem, most of the reports of parents saying their kids are "addicted" are just using that term loosely - their kids just play too many video games and that's it.

Nah. I'm sure many of them don't have true addiction issues. Those kids would benefit from a little bit more parental authority being exerted.

I'm talking about the kids where parents are considering and sending their kids to rehab. For kids and adults like, video games can be an escape from dealing with a lot of serious issues.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's 100% right. It's the responsibility of a parent to make sure their child is engaged in decent habits or behaviors.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread isn't the place for you to show off your parenting skills. We've all been kids and can all contribute from that perspective. Knock off the "I know better than you" posts.

Society has changed radically in the last 20-25 years, much more than it has before, in many ways due to the exponential growth of technology. The experience of a parent and child in 1980 is vastly more similar to a parent and child in 1960 than it is for a parent and child in 1998 compared to 2018.

The experiences we had with our parents when we were kids are not fully cross applicable to the experiences of parents today with children today. It's not a matter of "I know more than you" in a holier than thou inflection, rather it's a tangibly different experience that non-parents today aren't able to honestly relate to.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
This is the thing. If there's a few examples of parents being able to let their kids function without this shit, there's not really any viable weight to "this stuff is essential for kids these days."

It can be done, people just choose not to do it - it's way easier not to. I don't have kids, so who knows, maybe I'll be one of these parents, but I'd like to think I wouldn't have kids unless I was ready to deal with this shit.

It is truly exhausting to engage with your children the entire time they are awake. It is a constant game of trying to match their energy level and invent new ways to play with them. It definitely worth it though.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I'm sure many of them don't have true addiction issues. Those kids would benefit from a little bit more parental authority being exerted.

I'm talking about the kids where parents are considering and sending their kids to rehab. For kids and adults like, video games can be an escape from dealing with a lot of serious issues.
Yeah, those cases definitely require more attention and more than a slap on the wrist for bad parenting - but they'd also be problems regardless of gaming.

I'm not sure Ninja was responding to those cases specifically. If he was, yeah he's an asshole, but I think he was mainly reacting to the umbrella in general.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I don't see why you need to pit addictions against each other like this. The psychologist is using that as a comparison point because most people understand that heroin addiction is harmful, but lack an understanding of how video game addiction can be harmful. He's not saying that video games are as inherently harmful as heroin, but he is saying the underlying factors that lead to addiction are similar...which is true. Yes, your child is not going to overdose on Fortnite...but a video game addiction can still be harmful, and can still lead to death (see the numerous people who have died in internet cafes) or other psychological harm.
Yes, that's why I said in my post that all addictions are awful. But to me it sounds like they are comparing Fortnite to heroin as a scare tactic while America goes through an opioid crisis. There are so many other addictions that could be used, like cell phone addiction, or social media addiction, or television addiction. But heroin?

I lost a very close friend to heroin, so to hear shit like that pisses me off. I know to others the comparison is reasonable, but it really isn't. Seeing my buddy deteriorate over the few months leading up to his overdose was heartbreaking. It's way easier to get a kid to stop playing Fortnite than to get someone clean from heroin.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I really don't think you understand the financial, psychological, and social burdens of addiction and rehab. Otherwise you wouldn't be making this sort of statement.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Society has changed radically in the last 20-25 years, much more than it has before, in many ways due to the exponential growth of technology. The experience of a parent and child in 1980 is vastly more similar to a parent and child in 1960 than it is for a parent and child in 1998 compared to 2018.

The experiences we had with our parents when we were kids are not fully cross applicable to the experiences of parents today with children today. It's not a matter of "I know more than you" in a holier than thou inflection, rather it's a tangibly different experience that non-parents today aren't able to honestly relate to.
How do you explain the parents who have chimed in on this thread who've bucked this trend though? There are plenty of people who have said they're able to manage this sort of stuff without many issues, just by putting more effort into being active as a parent.

It is truly exhausting to engage with your children the entire time they are awake. It is a constant game of trying to match their energy level and invent new ways to play with them. It definitely worth it though.
Oh, I definitely see that with family members who have kids. They're constantly exhausted, but they wouldn't have it any other way - they love it, they love their kids, they want nothing more than to be with them - it's exactly what makes me want to have kids, to have that connection. Seeing other parents stick a tablet in front of a crying 8 year old does the exact opposite for me.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Seems to be a whole lot of Parents in here trying to justify their using a Cell Phone as a Baby Sitter.

My son is not aloud to play with Cell Phones, can only play video games with me or his mom and is only allowed to watch TV and Movies with the Family.

No Baby Sitting with the TV, Games or Phones.

He behaves in public, does not throw temper tantrums and is perfectly social-able with others.

I understand that there are people out their who's circumstances do not allow for the level of attentive parenting that is really necessary to prevent children from playing games too much, but these are the exception, not the rule.

You can take offense to what Ninja has said if you want, but you should really look at the message and not the words.

Video Game Addiction is NOT the fault of the Game. It is the Fault of the Parent who does not engage their child to pull them out of the game. No one is saying a parent can cure video game addiction by taking away their children's games. They are saying the parents have CAUSED the Video Game Addition by refusing(or in rare cases being unable) to do the actual Job of Being a Parent.

While I generally agree with you, there are a few lines here that can't see eye-to-eye with you on. It looks like (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there's a correlation being drawn between the boundaries you've set with screens/games and your child's behavior. "He behaves in public...." is non-sequitur to the previous sentences.

I also think that blame is something that's shared between the game and the parents. F2P games are designed to be addictive at worst, and to encourage spending at best. It's the business model, and it's valid, but it's bad. The industry could and should do better with warnings, labels, parent permissions (which places responsibility on the parents too), and marketing.

I don't think Ninja is necessarily wrong, but he's not 100% correct either. He has a stake in this, so it's natural to assume he'll say something in defense of his livelihood (whether it's right or wrong or correct or false or true on inaccurate or whatever adjective we want to use). Ultimately the responsibility rests on the parent, so I'm with you there, but let's not take accountability away from the source, either.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's why I said in my post that all addictions are awful. But to me it sounds like they are comparing Fortnite to heroin as a scare tactic while America goes through an opioid crisis. There are so many other addictions that could be used, like cell phone addiction, or social media addiction, or television addiction. But heroin?

I lost a very close friend to heroin, so to hear shit like that pisses me off. I know to others the comparison is reasonable, but it really isn't. Seeing my buddy deteriorate over the few months leading up to his overdose was heartbreaking. It's way easier to get a kid to stop playing Fortnite than to get someone clean from heroin.

Psychological/behavioral addictions are different from those with a physiological component like drugs or alcohol. Of course they are not the same but attempting to go down this path of what's a true addiction and what isn't, is useless. People get addicted to a lot of things that aren't drugs and symptoms and treatments manifest differently.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Super disagree with that, sorry. I think it´s the root of the problem ITT.

"I once was a kid therefor I shall give parenting advice"

Feel free not to listen to them. I'm a parent too. Doesn't mean I get to shut down the opinions of non-parents who disagree with me.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think you understand the financial, psychological, and social burdens of addiction and rehab. Otherwise you wouldn't be making this sort of statement.
What? Maybe you misunderstood my post. I was saying that in actual cases where mental illness leads to addiction (to video games), it's definitely a real issue - but that a lot of these reports of parents saying "my kid's addicted" are using that term loosely. It's like people saying "oh I'm so OCD about that".

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. A kid can be a good kid, and have good parents, and still become an addict. There are so many factors to addiction that cannot simply be waved away by "parents didn't take the Playstation away enough".

There's also a ton of parents who are like Ned Flander's parents "we've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas!"

And I say this as both a parent and a teacher. There's a ton of mental illness issues with kids that do need intervention by professionals. There's also a lot of kids that need parents to set clear boundaries (that clearly don't exist in a lot of kids that cause me grief in my job) to help curb these issues before they become so serious.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
So riddle me this: What the fuck goes trough a non parents head when they enter a parenting thread to give advice to actual parents?
I am 43 years old. I have tons of nephews and nieces and most all of my friends have kids. I just could not have kids because of biological reasons.

You act is if being a parent directly is the only parameter for knowing what it means to raise a decent human being and possibly how to do so. It is not.

In fact I would argue that for people in my specific position, being an observer of multiple parenting styles, I am able to see what is effective and what is not. I have the ability to not get attached to the fact I am a parent, be objective, and just see what parenting styles seem to work and those that do not.

And just a small example. We watch my nephew often. His parents always say how they are shocked how well behaved he is once he comes back from our place. I want to tell them there is no mystery about it, we just do not let him walk all over us and he gets his shit together real quick. However I keep my mouth shut to keep the family peace. But I know what their kid needs and have implemented it myself when we are responsible for his well being. I am not even mean about it or need much displicine at all. I actually always try speaking to him as real and as straight as possible while keeping in mind he is a kid. And guess what? Uncle Larry is his favorite uncle by far. It is a running joke with the family. However since I am not a parent how could I possibly know what is good for him or any other kid for that matter is your take?

Finally what is the saying? It takes a village? So according to you, that village can only be other parents to raise the kid properly? That I personally believe is absolute nonsense, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be a whole lot of Parents in here trying to justify their using a Cell Phone as a Baby Sitter.

My son is not aloud to play with Cell Phones, can only play video games with me or his mom and is only allowed to watch TV and Movies with the Family.

No Baby Sitting with the TV, Games or Phones.

He behaves in public, does not throw temper tantrums and is perfectly social-able with others.

I understand that there are people out their who's circumstances do not allow for the level of attentive parenting that is really necessary to prevent children from playing games too much, but these are the exception, not the rule.

You can take offense to what Ninja has said if you want, but you should really look at the message and not the words.

Video Game Addiction is NOT the fault of the Game. It is the Fault of the Parent who does not engage their child to pull them out of the game. No one is saying a parent can cure video game addiction by taking away their children's games. They are saying the parents have CAUSED the Video Game Addition by refusing(or in rare cases being unable) to do the actual Job of Being a Parent.
How old is you son if you don't mind me asking? Because it only gets harder to prevent them from playing. Dealing with a 5-8 or 9-10 year old is nothing to even just a 11 year old, when their friends start wanting to play online with them.
Now I'm by no mean a good parent, I was pretty much a kid (15) when I took a parental role for my youngest brother (was 3 at the time) after his dad died, I could've definitely done better, but I don't think I could've stopped him getting hooked on gaming and now I have the even harder tasked of getting a 13-14 year old to do something else.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Psychological/behavioral addictions are different from those with a physiological component like drugs or alcohol. Of course they are not the same but attempting to go down this path of what's a true addiction and what isn't, is useless. People get addicted to a lot of things that aren't drugs and symptoms and treatments manifest differently.

See: Porn.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you explain the parents who have chimed in on this thread who've bucked this trend though? There are plenty of people who have said they're able to manage this sort of stuff without many issues, just by putting more effort into being active as a parent.

You´re throwing two things together here.

Their children are not addicted to FortNite. That´s all.

An alcoholic is still an alcoholic if you take the bottle out of his hand.

Limiting game time is not a fix for actual addiction and I don´t think only unsupervised long gaming sessions can lead to addictions.

Some people take cocaine once and go "thanks, I´m good"

Some take it and go "holy shit! - that´s all I´m doing from now on".

But I do think that Ninja himself is a factor because he largely contributes to the FortNite culture, so I really wish he would shut the fuck up.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This entire thread is just full of people making a mockery of what addiction really is. Blaming the parents or telling parents to just take control in the face of an addiction is ridiculous and honestly just insulting to anyone who has ever suffered from one.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
It all comes back to parenting and establishing rules from the very beginning. Spend time with your kids, dedicate some time to certain activities so they learn to be disciplined with a schedule, etc..

A kid who is still developing who has had little to no supervision and even less interaction with another person is going to be triggered when a parent suddenly wants them to stop doing what they've allowed them to do without any issue for months.

Do not neglect your kids.
You are wrong. Addiction can happen right under your nose even with rules and guidelines in place and with supervision. You don't understand the psychology of addiction.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a matter of education and privilege. Like I stated before I'd be able to block Fortnite on a level my kid would never be able to overcome if I needed to. I'd be able to fully utilize parental controls. I have the knowledge of that due to being a tech and game enthusiast.

All Millennials and Zers know how to use tech because it's been made incredibly simple to use. Being able to do more complicated actions with that tech requires a level of aptitude that isn't common. It doesn't help that it is in the best interests of the game industry to get kids addicted and spending money and making it more obtuse than it needs to be to use parental controls. Parents don't know and aren't educated about them on purpose.

On the other end low income, single parent, etc families may be too busy to be able to keep effective track of out of sight activities such as Fortnite. Both parents working around the clock, a single parent being overwhelmed. It's not a level playing field where every parent has the same level of access and ability to control this. Like I've said, it's not as simple as taking the batteries out of their kid's GameBoy.

That's not even touching on legitimate matters of addiction, which when games are explicity designed to be addictive, is more common and insidious than you might expect from our experience growing up with games. It's one reason why I crusade against MTX so much.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I saw first hand what WoW at its peak was capable of doing to people prone to addiction, but even still I never realised the the market had moved towards having specialised clinics for this stuff. Thats crazy.

I've seen people in the past compare Fortnite addiction to peak WoW and I have to disagree. WoW was a truly different beast back then.

Aye WOW was a WHOLE NEW LEVEL and there's most likely never again a game that's never gonna happen.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Limiting game time is not a fix for actual addiction and I don´t think only unsupervised long gaming sessions can lead to addictions.

But I do think that Ninja himself is a factor because he largely contributes to the FortNite culture, so I really wish he would shut the fuck up.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to actual addiction here, because I really think the majority of these cases don't involve actual addiction - they're just kids who play too many video games and "addiction" is being used way too loosely.

But yes, in cases of actual mental health issues, I agree.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Making categorical conclusions about whether or not these kids are addicted or not, without even knowing the behavior of those admitted to these rehab camps, sounds very smart and rational

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a matter of education and privilege. Like I stated before I'd be able to block Fortnite on a level my kid would never be able to overcome if I needed to. I'd be able to fully utilize parental controls. I have the knowledge of that due to being a tech and game enthusiast.

All Millennials and Zers know how to use tech because it's been made incredibly simple to use. Being able to do more complicated actions with that tech requires a level of aptitude that isn't common. It doesn't help that it is in the best interests of the game industry to get kids addicted and spending money and making it more obtuse than it needs to be to use parental controls. Parents don't know and aren't educated about them on purpose.

On the other end low income, single parent, etc families may be too busy to be able to keep effective track of out of sight activities such as Fortnite. Both parents working around the clock, a single parent being overwhelmed. It's not a level playing field where every parent has the same level of access and ability to control this. Like I've said, it's not as simple as taking the batteries out of their kid's GameBoy.
Fair enough, I can totally appreciate this.
Because if a school shooting happens at my kids school I want them to be able to text me that they are safe
Fair enough. I live in a place where this literally never happens, so I suppose it's not a reality I can relate to - but I can understand this.

That being said, a smart phone isn't necessary in these situations.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yup, this is so important to realize. There are addictions today that didn't exist in the 80's, at least not in the same form, because the source of the addiction did not exist yet or was not readily available to the degree it is today. Some examples would be gaming addictions, internet gambling addictions, internet pornography addictions, general internet/social media addictions, etc.

I agree that it is an extreme comparison, but it in no way belittles the harm of heroin addiction. You have to realize that the age of the addict is important in regards to the severity of the addiction and the damage it causes.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Not trying to say Fortnite addiction isn't a true addiction, or any other addiction. I keep saying it in every post that all addictions are awful, and I know it can affect people's life. Spending 12 hours a day playing Fortnite will of course get in the way of your life. I was addicted to Civilization IV my freshman year of college, and it caused me to fail multiple classes because I played it instead of doing homework. All I'm trying to say is I don't think it's fair to compare Fortnite addiction to being addicted to heroin.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You act is if being a parent directly is the only parameter for knowing what it means to raise a decent human being and possibly how to do so. It is not.

From an emotional standpoint it really is.

All the empathy in the world is not enough to actually know how a parent feels about their own child.

And this is really all it comes down to.

it´s like telling a depressed person to cheer up.

Nov 8, 2017
Feels like a lot of this can be summed up in the phrase Terrible Parents. You're terrible for not monitoring your children and allowing them to become addicted to this game. You are also terrible for then turning around and saying..."well now I've got this problem what do you expect me to do? It's not easy you know!"

In conclusion... you are terrible.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to say Fortnite addiction isn't a true addiction, or any other addiction. I keep saying it in every post that all addictions are awful, and I know it can affect people's life. Spending 12 hours a day playing Fortnite will of course get in the way of your life. I was addicted to Civilization IV my freshman year of college, and it caused me to fail multiple classes because I played it instead of doing homework. All I'm trying to say is I don't think it's fair to compare Fortnite addiction to being addicted to heroin.

Addiction is addiction is addiction

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I am 43 years old. I have tons of nephews and nieces and most all of my friends have kids. I just could not have kids because of biological reasons.

In fact I would argue that for people in my specific position, being an observer of multiple parenting styles, I am able to see what is effective and what is not. I have the ability to not get attached to the fact I am a parent, be objective, and just see what parenting styles seem to work and those that do not.

And just a small example. We watch my nephew often. His parents always say how they are shocked how well behaved he is once he comes back from our place. I want to tell them there is no mystery about it, we just do not let him walk all over us and he gets his shit together real quick. However I keep my mouth shut to keep the family peace. But I know what their kid needs and have implemented it myself when we are responsible for his well being. I am not even mean about it or need much displicine at all. I actually always try speaking to him as real and as straight as possible while keeping in mind he is a kid. And guess what? Uncle Larry is his favorite uncle by far. It is a running joke with the family. However since I am not a parent how could I possibly know what is good for him or any other kid for that matter is your take?

Finally what is the saying? It takes a village? So according to you, that village can only be other parents to raise the kid properly? That I personally believe is absolute nonsense, but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions.
There's a huge difference between babysitting and being wholly responsible for the 24/7 care and nurturing of a child.

Feels like a lot of this can be summed up in the phrase Terrible Parents. You're terrible for not monitoring your children and allowing them to become addicted to this game. You are also terrible for then turning around and saying..."well now I've got this problem what do you expect me to do? It's not easy you know!"

In conclusion... you are terrible.
Mods: Parents need to stop shutting down opinions!
Thread: Parents who have kids with issues are terrible people!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? Maybe you misunderstood my post. I was saying that in actual cases where mental illness leads to addiction (to video games), it's definitely a real issue - but that a lot of these reports of parents saying "my kid's addicted" are using that term loosely. It's like people saying "oh I'm so OCD about that".
Except we are talking about parents who have taken the monumental step of actually seeking professional help for their children and sending them to a rehab center. That's not a financial, psychological, and social burden a parent takes on unless their child has a serious problem. So I have no idea why you are suggesting they are overreacting.
This entire thread is just full of people making a mockery of what addiction really is. Blaming the parents or telling parents to just take control in the face of an addiction is ridiculous and honestly just insulting to anyone who has ever suffered from one.
I'm pretty sure the addicts/recovering addicts here are used to these kind of takes. I know I am. The general public's understanding of addiction is severely lacking, and this thread is evidence of that.
You are wrong. Addiction can happen right under your nose even with rules and guidelines in place and with supervision. You don't understand the psychology of addiction.
Yes, this is exactly what situation I was in as a kid.

AdolRed

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
United States
From an emotional standpoint it really is.

All the empathy in the world is not enough to actually know how a parent feels about their own child.

And this is really all it comes down to.

it´s like telling a depressed person to cheer up.

Also, unless you're actually a parent, you don't know what it's like to be 'always on' and what that actually means for your ability to balance raising a child. I don't really give a fuck if you're 'good with kids' or help take care of your niece super good. If you have the freedom to give that child back to another person when you're tapped out and go on about your life, you're absolutely not speaking from experience, and certainly not from authority