Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a better head of a major video game company than Iwata. Can't believe he's be gone almost a decade.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, at this point we should probably stop overestimating the impact of handheld newcomers.

The only thing that came close to undermining Nintendo's market position was mobile - and in some respects you can say they did. But the fact Nintendo has not only survived, but have thrived selling a dedicated gaming portable hybrid in a post-mobile world is a testament to their brand strength.

In short: nothing has really changed since the 80s/90s; Nintendo is still top dog in the handheld/portable space and any competitor looking to sell a mass market equivalent has a tall task to follow. In fact, you can say the climate for other portable competitors is probably worse than back then because mobile has essentially taken away the technological superiority, convenience, and multimedia functionality selling points that would be market differentiators.
Previous handhelds failed because they couldn't build up a good software library like NIntendo did. Now we have two handhelds (Steam Deck and PS Portal) that don't have that disadvantage. It's not enough to eat Nintendo's lunch at this point but it's a start.

Tbh - I barely consider mobile a competitor here. To play anything that has controls with even medium complexity you'd need something like a backbone, and the whole experience of playing games like that on mobile is just too cumbersome for consumers. I think consumers generally don't prefer all-in-one devices when there is a good streamlined device out there that does what they want.

I think your really overestimating the impact of pc handhelds. Era isnt a very good barometer for stuff like the steam deck cuz it has a way higher rate of ownership here than anywhere else irl
Yeah I don't think there's anything for Nintendo to worry about on the immediate horizon, but thinking 10 years out the landscape could look different. Valve might figure out a low-cost Steam Deck solution and build up more distribution channels, etc.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
They weren't wrong. The Gamecube generation saw around 200 million consoles sold. Then Nintendo exits the arms race. Since then? PS3 / 360 gen ended again with around 200 million sold. PS4 / Xbox One ended with around 200 million consoles sold. This gen looks worse with Xbox's current struggles seemingly putting things on a downward trajectory where it will likely end nearer 150 million consoles sold.

PC gaming has grown in the interim but it seems more likely it is a case of absorbing the core gamers who have moved from console rather than expanding the overall base so you are still left with a similar number of "core" gamers. This is basically what all the studio execs keep going on about.

But also, its their fault lol. They don't do anything to try and attract new players. They cater to the same audience and are doubling down trying to milk it dry with live service games rather than doing the perceived risky things of appealing to new / different demographics.

Nintendo is obviously on a different path and still does things to try and attract a wider market. Some are big success like Ring Fit. Some don't pan out like LABO / Mario Kart home circuit but they are still doing things to try and appeal to a wider non traditional gaming audience

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
It was the second weakest platform of its generation, save the Dreamcast.
PS2 had more fillrate bandwidth than the Xbox. It was a monster.

Those 4MB were on a 2560-bit. It took into HBM for Video Cards to get a bus that wide. 48GB/s video memory bandwidth when the Xbox capped at 6.4GB/s.

Nvidia didn't ship a card with more VRAM bandwidth than that until the GeForce 7900 GTX.

Also the thing launched more than a year earlier than the other 2.

By your logic, the Xbox One would go on your list. It was the second weakest, after the Wii U and then Switch.

If you were gonna go by the weakest, you would have listed the Dreamcast.

PS2 did not follow the same principles as the Wii. Don't try to rewrite history.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It made all the sense in the world back then and even more now. Why have 3 companies fight for one group of players when they could go and grow a brand new audience just for them.

It was incredibly smart and amazingly well executed. Yeah, they tripped with the followup but the recovery was brilliant.

Jun 10, 2018
Previous handhelds failed because they couldn't build up a good software library like NIntendo did. Now we have two handhelds (Steam Deck and PS Portal) that don't have that disadvantage. It's not enough to eat Nintendo's lunch at this point but it's a start.

Tbh - I barely consider mobile a competitor here. To play anything that has controls with even medium complexity you'd need something like a backbone, and the whole experience of playing games like that on mobile is just too cumbersome for consumers. I think consumers generally don't prefer all-in-one devices when there is a good streamlined device out there that does what they want.

Yeah I don't think there's anything for Nintendo to worry about on the immediate horizon, but thinking 10 years out the landscape could look different. Valve might figure out a low-cost Steam Deck solution and build up more distribution channels, etc.
Mobile is a competitor in the sense it has greatly diminished any chance to capture or sell to the expanded audience utilizing the selling points I mentioned. It's less about being an all-and-one device, and more so that for the average consumer, the software available on mobile stores - along with the other perks a smartphone brings you - satisfies them enough that paying an additional $400-$500 for a dedicated gaming device without Nintendo software just isn't worth it. This has been pretty much hinted at with the recent discussions concerning the consumer base stagnation of console gaming over the past 20 years, and how the ubiquity of smart devices has likely contributed to younger audiences not transitioning to traditional gaming as they did in the past.

So the audience Sony, Valve, and other potential handheld/portable players are left to cater to are: 1.) those who want a dedicated gaming device that's neither made by Nintendo nor a major mobile manufacturer, 2.) which also has top-of-the-line specs and 3.) plays the majority of PC/home console games. That's a very small niche of consumers to target, especially because among hardcore gaming enthusiast circles like Era gaming on portables isn't popular and preferences heavily skew towards home consoles/desktop PCs.

Valve at least knows and treats SD like niche product, and to be fair it does have a selling point that is unique differentiator from both mobile and Switch.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
PS2 had more fillrate bandwidth than the Xbox. It was a monster.

Those 4MB were on a 2560-bit. It took into HBM for Video Cards to get a bus that wide. 48GB/s video memory bandwidth when the Xbox capped at 6.4GB/s.

Nvidia didn't ship a card with more VRAM bandwidth than that until the GeForce 7900 GTX.

Also the thing launched more than a year earlier than the other 2.

By your logic, the Xbox One would go on your list. It was the second weakest, after the Wii U and then Switch.

If you were gonna go by the weakest, you would have listed the Dreamcast.

PS2 did not follow the same principles as the Wii. Don't try to rewrite history.
Not trying to rewrite history, but I edited the PS2 out.