• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
There should be a solution to bring back proper IR pointing. :-(

In the infamous SDK leak it was explicitly stated that the R JoyCon IR camera can, in fact, detect special markers at distances greater than 30cm.

Gyro is nice at best, but cannot really replace IR pointing aka "pointing done right".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to Anandtech, the Shield TV does not suffer from any thermal throttling, so you can expect the CPU always running at 2GHz, that doubles Switch's clock speed.

Also, the Shield TV has 4 additional lower power ARM cores that Switch has disabled.
and someone on Neogaf (and I think he's here too) did testing to show that the Shield throttles heavily to Switch speeds

also those 4 A53 cores arent used while the A57s are in use in the Shield. the Switch just has them disabled because they'd be pointless

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
and someone on Neogaf (and I think he's here too) did testing to show that the Shield throttles heavily to Switch speeds
Pointless without a source.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review/9

Ultimately it's clear that the SHIELD Android TV is heavily overspeced compared to other Android TV devices – no one else is pursuing this premium market – so instead we're going to focus on looking at benchmarked performance relative to the newest generation of SoCs in the latest iOS and Android tablets. This is by no means a fair matchup and we need to be clear about this – the SHIELD Android TV has no throttling or power constraints, no need to balance out energy efficiency – but it at least gives us some idea of how the device and Tegra X1 compare to other products.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
According to Anandtech, the Shield TV does not suffer from any thermal throttling, so you can expect the CPU always running at 2GHz, that doubles Switch's clock speed.

Also, the Shield TV has 4 additional lower power ARM cores that Switch has disabled.
A Neogaf user confirmed Shield throttling through first hand testing and reported the findings. It does indeed throttle right down to Switch clocks under sustained load.

Also the four A53 are disabled on Shield too when the four A57 are in use so it's irrelevant. They might actually be used on Switch too while in sleep/low power mode.

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not true. Shield TV CPU runs at 2GHz, Switch CPU runs at 1GHz.

Again, you are basing everything on assumptions and the title is just misleading.
My bad then. The files make it clear Nintendo had their hands in this and I just cant imagine they would assist Nvidia in creating an emulator for 2 of their titles without doing anything with it. It doesnt seem worth the effort. Since TP seems to operate north of 30 fps pretty much the entire time and with properly optimized for their OS I'm still fairly confident Nintendo can make it work all the same. This is still significant since the only evidence we had so far was Dolphin, which doesnt run as well as this does

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
My bad then. The files make it clear Nintendo had their hands in this and I just cant imagine they would assist Nvidia in creating an emulator for 2 of their titles without doing anything with it. It doesnt seem worth the effort. Since TP seems to operate north of 30 fps pretty much the entire time and with properly optimized for their OS I'm still fairly confident Nintendo can make it work all the same. This is still significant since the only evidence we had so far was Dolphin, which doesnt run as well as this does
It's not for only 2.

There will be more games coming. Punc-out, Mario Galaxy, New Mario Wii, etc

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that version of the emulator is more / less complete than the latest Dolphin.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Title is a conclusion that is nowhere near confirmed based on the fact that the shield has a GC/Wii emulator

But I hope so...

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
A Neogaf user confirmed Shield throttling through first hand testing and reported the findings. It does indeed throttle right down to Switch clocks under sustained load.

Also the four A53 are disabled on Shield too when the four A57 are in use so it's irrelevant. They might actually be used on Switch too while in sleep/low power mode.
Again, pointless without evidence.

Dolphin developers also assured the Shield TV does not suffer from thermal throttling.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-get-more-fps-out-of-my-nvidia-shield?pid=431482#pid431482

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wonder if it's using a modified iso. This is the GC version right, but I thought that version didn't originally support widesceen. Plus it would seem they changed the on screen button prompts.

Maybe those are just features of the emulator, with hacks (on a per game basis?) for video output and replacement HUD assets.

It's being used in a Nintendo release. My guess, as other suggested, is that they had Nvidia engineers working on it in partnership with Nintendo.
Its seemingly a mix of emulator hacks + game assets changed

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Not only possible on switch but already done on the World of Goo port. See the video below:

Video doesn't tell me anything since it doesn't differentiate between using it as a laser pointer and waving it around as they seem to be doing most of the time in that video, much like move games, without trying I really can't say if it can or can't do pointing from watching that. It's a really big distinction in practice even if it doesn't sound much when discussing it, it's the difference between the dreaded "oh my arm gets tired" complaints on Wii and simply properly resting the thing on your knee or wherever and laser-pointing just by changing the angle basically rather than moving it around to any degree. The latter is also what was needed for lightgun and shooting games to work right as they do on Wii when calibrated properly (and this guy even says those and FPS games were problematic on Wii so I don't trust his opinion either). I can understand it not being a big problem for some games either way as it's probably fine in World of Goo as shown but done that way it doesn't feel nearly as precise and responsive as proper pointer controls and you definitely couldn't play a lightgun game without the cursor visible with such mechanics which you could do fine on Wii (again, after calibrating it right, although Overkill is an exception with its low frame rate etc, the other SEGA shooters work way better). Same reason the aiming controls in Skyward Sword were so off, because they didn't use the sensor bar and camera, only the motion controls. No clue if the motion sensors in joycons are better to be able to emulate pointing (it's my belief that the new fangled VR motion controllers could do laser pointing fine if programmed right since they're exact 1:1 tracked in 3D space with no drift or misaligning or desync or anything of the sort), just trying to explain the difference. Edit: well near the end of the video he also talks about the need to recenter and how it's like move, so, there you go, not real pointing. Sad but passable for certain games. But sad. You got me excited about the possibility of pointing on Switch for no reason at all when even the video says it's not it :(

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
How are the analog shoulder buttons going to work? The only two games I can think of right off the bat that relied on them are Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Isn't the thread title a little misleading? These games are running on the Nvidia Shield, not the Switch. There's still no evidence of a GameCube emulator on Switch, correct?

Edit: Thread title titled changed, so nevermind. I'm still not getting my hopes up for Switch VC. I'd love for it to happen, but I'm doubtful at this point.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I'll have to spend 60 to 70 euros for dedicated VC Joy-Cons? Additional Joy-Cons that I'll have to carry around whenever I want to play some GC games on the go? Thanks, but no thanks.
I mean, they'll be strict upgrades, so you likely wouldn't have to carry around your originals anymore.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
About the controls, they'll probably make Gamecube themed Joy Cons/Pro Controller that will also be very useful for longtime Smash players.

At the same time I think they're gonna make the games at least playable on a normal setup. The Switch has one more button than the GC controller (that had only one Z) and even clickable sticks. In Sunshine they could easily map R for simple water firing while running and ZR for the stationary firing. And the old "Z" would be ZL.

Not a big deal. It would be a bit of a problem in F-Zero GX but they won't publish it anyway, right?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Dolphin developers also assured the Shield TV does not suffer from thermal throttling.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-get-more-fps-out-of-my-nvidia-shield?pid=431482#pid431482
If you want sources then fine:

Shield dev mentioning CPU throttling: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1025663/jetson-tx1/tx1-cpu-throttling-android/

Neogaf user showing GPU throttling to Switch clocks: https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...e-multi-touch.1297191/page-175#post-227882760

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Isn't the thread title a little misleading? These games are running on the Nvidia Shield, not the Switch. There's still no evidence of a GameCube emulator on Switch, correct?

Edit: Thread title titled changed, so nevermind. I'm still not getting my hopes up for Switch VC. I'd love for it to happen, but I'm doubtful at this point.

Well, we already got homebrew (soft-rendererd, so only up to SNES at a decent speed atm) but that's something.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm a glitch hunter of the 3D Zelda Speedrun Community and recently we managed to get our hands on the Chinese NVIDIA Shield and Twilight Princess on it. This was made possible by a generous member of my TP community who took the risk of importing a Shield from China for $250 with 0 guarantees it would actually be possible to make it work. Buying the game from the Chinese store proved to be difficult, but a member from this very community here at resetera went ahead and used her wechat account to buy the game for us.

2 days ago Pheenoh, the person who imported the shield, did a full playthrough and glitch testing on this version. You can find the VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223286572

The most remarkable things about this version is how well it performs. It doesn't crash, it has no graphical issues, the framerate is locked at 30 fps pretty much throughout the entire game and the loading times are on par with the Dolphin Emulator with fast load times enabled, so pretty much instant.

There was one thing that hit our attention however. 2 notorious consistent game crashes on the original GC did not crash the game on the Shield. Interestingly enough the same 2 glitches that also didn't crash Dolphin until very recently where an option of proper Memory Management emulation became available.

With the hints mounting up, yesterday we went ahead and dumped the APK from the shield. After extracting it I immediately found the native executable that should be the game executable if this was a true port of the game. But taking a look at it it didn't match its GC counterpart whatsoever - especially crucial game asset strings that are required to run the game are missing.

What I did find however were the following strings:

1mfslu.png

Note: OSPanic is a GC function called by the game when it encounters a critical error

22kswe.png

my91pgiqteknauvwqny3dmgs1g.png

3loswn.png

This leaves pretty much no doubt that the executable I'm looking at is in fact a GC emulator. A GC emulator that runs one of the most demanding games on the Cube very smoothly on the same hardware as the Switch. Something tells me this emulator wasn't created to just emulate 2 Nintendo games on a niche console in China :P

EDIT:

Title is maybe a bit misleading. Wouldnt mind if a mod changes it to: "Nintendo has theoretical access to a highly capable GC/Wii emulator for the Tegra X1"

>emualted

Nvidia can not english

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
If you want sources then fine:

Shield dev mentioning CPU throttling: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1025663/jetson-tx1/tx1-cpu-throttling-android/

Neogaf user showing GPU throttling to Switch clocks: https://www./threads/nintendo-switc...e-multi-touch.1297191/page-175#post-227882760
From the second link:

I'm going to try to push the CPU and GPU as hard as I can and see if the CPU does indeed throttle, but it looks like it doesn't so far as to keep the console game ports on the Shield to run at consistent speeds.

The guy says there is no CPU throttle.

The guy in the NVIDIA forum doesn't even know the CPU runs at 2GHz, not 1. He is probably getting a bad measure.

AnandTech, Dolphin developers and that GAF user agree that there is no CPU thermal throttling.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Same Dev in regards to the Shield TVhttps://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-nvidia-shield-2015?pid=373185#pid373185

My suggestion is to root it immediately and to unlock the GPU's clock speed so it runs at 1Ghz constantly. That way the potential of the GPU not clocking high enough isn't there

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a glitch hunter of the 3D Zelda Speedrun Community and recently we managed to get our hands on the Chinese NVIDIA Shield and Twilight Princess on it. This was made possible by a generous member of my TP community who took the risk of importing a Shield from China for $250 with 0 guarantees it would actually be possible to make it work. Buying the game from the Chinese store proved to be difficult, but a member from this very community here at resetera went ahead and used her wechat account to buy the game for us.

2 days ago Pheenoh, the person who imported the shield, did a full playthrough and glitch testing on this version. You can find the VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223286572

The most remarkable things about this version is how well it performs. It doesn't crash, it has no graphical issues, the framerate is locked at 30 fps pretty much throughout the entire game and the loading times are on par with the Dolphin Emulator with fast load times enabled, so pretty much instant.

There was one thing that hit our attention however. 2 notorious consistent game crashes on the original GC did not crash the game on the Shield. Interestingly enough the same 2 glitches that also didn't crash Dolphin until very recently where an option of proper Memory Management emulation became available.

With the hints mounting up, yesterday we went ahead and dumped the APK from the shield. After extracting it I immediately found the native executable that should be the game executable if this was a true port of the game. But taking a look at it it didn't match its GC counterpart whatsoever - especially crucial game asset strings that are required to run the game are missing.

What I did find however were the following strings:

1mfslu.png

Note: OSPanic is a GC function called by the game when it encounters a critical error

22kswe.png

my91pgiqteknauvwqny3dmgs1g.png

3loswn.png

This leaves pretty much no doubt that the executable I'm looking at is in fact a GC emulator. A GC emulator that runs one of the most demanding games on the Cube very smoothly on the same hardware as the Switch. Something tells me this emulator wasn't created to just emulate 2 Nintendo games on a niche console in China :P

EDIT:

Title is maybe a bit misleading. Wouldnt mind if a mod changes it to: "Nintendo has theoretical access to a highly capable GC/Wii emulator for the Tegra X1"
I'm not sure that emulator and port are the only two options and I'm not convinced this is the former. If this was an emulator, the entire GC image would be present. More likely this is like how Xbox One handles 360 BC; a specialized recompiler that converts the GC game to an ARM executable, but not in real-time the way an emulator does.

The advantage of this is that it can perform a lot faster than a real-time emulator, and the only real drawback is that it has to be done separately for every single title -- you can't just pop in "roms" or images. But since Nintendo is looking for a way to sell its old games on a digital marketplace, not to let you pop in your GC disc, I don't think that's a real disadvantage for them.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
With Nintendo selling you joy cons with analog triggers or a pro controller with analog triggers.

In theory that would work but the amount of people that would be willing to buy a new controller or set of Joy-cons just to play Gamecube VC would be pretty miniscule, at least whencompared to how many would buy GC VC that doesn't require a new controller. It could kill VC's momentum day one if they weren't very smart about it.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is what's happening here. I highly doubt it is an emulator in the normal sense of the word.

Why do you doubt it?
I mean, both ways would be possible.

But I really hope it's a true emu, would be awesome for homebrew.

Also:
Helping the task immensely is the fact that certain aspects of the Xbox 360 hardware design are indeed built into the Xbox One processor - specifically, support for texture formats and audio.
^ I highly doubt this is the case for the X1.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you doubt it?
I mean, both ways would be possible.

But I really hope it's a true emu, would be awesome for homebrew.
Because doing it by emulation would have no advantage to Nintendo, who are only interested in selling individually packaged downloadable titles and don't give two shits about the homebrew community or people trying to play Billy Hatcher for free.

And because emulation would frankly be slower and less reliable. It might be possible, but I've seen no evidence it is, and it's still likely to bring with it performance issues, frame drops, sound skipping, etc.