• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
Oh, I was still following the thread with the banned OP and didn't realize this one existed, whoops

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
i was just foolishly expecting we'd get some conversation or hints from people in the know over the weekend.
but you're all right, the hype cycle usually occurs the weekdays prior to an announcement :)

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's best not to go into next week expecting anything but more silence. Nintendo's clearly got their cards very close to their chest and they're gonna have to show them some day but there's no guarantee that day will be next week.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I wonder what the reason or strategy Nintendo is using to cause this longer than normal period of silence about many first-party titles. It's fascinating. I'm also so thirsty for Animal Crossing info that I'm constantly checking for new chatter on a possible direct so I guess their strategy works.

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder what the reason or strategy Nintendo is using to cause this longer than normal period of silence about many first-party titles. It's fascinating. I'm also so thirsty for Animal Crossing info that I'm constantly checking for new chatter on a possible direct so I guess their strategy works.

Same but I am NOT a fan of this strategy. I really hope there's a Direct next week. They have to have run out of excuses by now

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Same but I am NOT a fan of this strategy. I really hope there's a Direct next week. They have to have run out of excuses by now
You realize that they're not under any obligation to have a Direct or anything else at any time, right? They're not violating any laws if they decide to spend the entire year using just Twitter for announcements...

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
You realize that they're not under any obligation to have a Direct or anything else at any time, right? They're not violating any laws if they decide to spend the entire year using just Twitter for announcements...

Likewise consumers aren't under any obligation to comment positively, support, or be "a fan" of them spending the entire year using just Twitter for announcements.

Oct 25, 2017
J2N6scc.png

My one rule is that for me to get the "Two surprising 3rd party ports" space is that the ports can't be things already on the board (Soul Calubur, Kingdom Hearts, and Persona 5)

Plum

May 31, 2018
J2N6scc.png

My one rule is that for me to get the "Two surprising 3rd party ports" space is that the ports can't be things already on the board (Soul Calubur, Kingdom Hearts, and Persona 5)

gudu8fj.png

Circled my predictions! I think I'll make one of my own but I've got assignments to do rn so it'll have to wait for an official announcement.

I don't think Pokemon, SMTV or Persona 5 will be announced here because those kinds of games almost always get shown off/announced at events run by The Pokemon Company/Atlus respectively. The ones I've circled are things that we already know about with the Wii U Port, MPTHD and Star Fox Grand Prix (this could be Zelda but I don't think both) being Nintendo's offerings.

Plum

May 31, 2018
After this post from the other thread (don't want to reply there as I'll be only talking about the Direct)

Some small tidbits from the new Spawncast:

-They all seem to agree that there was a January Direct and that it was scrapped, Nate even said some of the announcements he had heard were going to be made in it were announced on Twitter instead.
Metroid had nothing to do with it, apparently.
-Dreamcastguy corroborated and said the same, he heard FFXII's date was going to be announced in the Direct itself.
-Jordan Fringe says there will be new Crash Team Racing footage on Monday.
-Playeressance says he's heard things about Joker in Smash, says he sounds "dope".

Apologies if I missed or got something wrong.

I'm kind of doubting a February 7th prediction. Why would a January Direct be scrapped simply for it to happen one week into the month afterwards? What has changed since then?

I'm going for a March date now. Seems like the best prediction at the moment but, then again, I could always be wrong.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
After this post from the other thread (don't want to reply there as I'll be only talking about the Direct)

I'm kind of doubting a February 7th prediction. Why would a January Direct be scrapped simply for it to happen one week into the month afterwards? What has changed since then?

I'm going for a March date now. Seems like the best prediction at the moment but, then again, I could always be wrong.

I'm still confident in February. March just seems too late to begin Three Houses' hype cycle if it's still slated for Spring, which it appears to be.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
What are some glaring omissions on Switch?

I'm not talking about fantasy posts, I'm asking about games that came out recently that would have been a no-brainer on Switch.

I can't understand why the Disney Afternoon Collection and the Secret of Mana remake skipped a Switch release. I sincerely hope they get released some day even though the Secret of Mana remake wasn't received well, I still want it, and I imagine a lot of Switch owners would too.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

I'm not talking about fantasy posts, I'm asking about games that came out recently that would have been a no-brainer on Switch.

I can't understand why the Disney Afternoon Collection and the Secret of Mana remake skipped a Switch release. I sincerely hope they get released some day even though the Secret of Mana remake wasn't received well, I still want it, and I imagine a lot of Switch owners would too.
Let's forget that the god awful Secret of Mana remake exists and start asking (again) why the hell they didn't localize the Seiken Densetsu Collection instead. We don't want garbage, we want quality.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Let's forget that the god awful Secret of Mana remake exists and start asking (again) why the hell they didn't localize the Seiken Densetsu Collection instead. We don't want garbage, we want quality.

Unless the translation cost is prohibitively expensive, it does baffle the mind they aren't releasing SD collection. It's not like the translated game is forever stuck in that collection. They could wait six months to 1 year and release the game on Steam and other platforms and people would still be happy it came out on Switch too and their costs would be spread over multiple future releases.

It's the cheapest no brainer conversion. If anything I would venture to guess the terrible sales of the remake sent the wrong message to SE. Instead of thinking the remake is terrible, they thought there's no interest in Mana in the west.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm pretty sure they could have justified the cost of downporting Soul Calibur VI and I bet Nintendo would have been more than happy to lend Link again (and Lucina).

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any DS experts in this thread?

I want to buy WarioWare DIY but it looks like European games are often twice or more as expensive as American ones on eBay (discounting even cheaper things that look like fakes). Should I even contemplate the American version if I want to interface it with PAL WiiWare companion?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
January was a safe bet until January ended without anything.
I never got that impression. Three first party Switch releases in January (Fitness Boxing in North America, the Bowser's Inside Story remake in North America and Europe, and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe worldwide) always made it seem like January was set.
February only having Yo-kai Watch 3 for Nintendo 3DS in North America as a first party release without any news would be dire. It's safe to expect a Direct presentation this month.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
A Direct will air between February and March, it's obvious, but the fact that it will probably the only general Direct before E3 doesn't make the "when" so certain.
Basically Nintendo could decide:
1) to show in February the games for Q1, like Fire Emblem, plus some announcements for some of the mistery games Emily hinted to. Then in March we could for example have a Pokemon direct, in May a Fire Emblem direct (if needed to promote it)
2) on the other hand, is the nearest game of FW1 is in May, they can do a general Direct in March, leaving February empty or filling it with a Pokemon Direct plus a shadow-drop of an eShop game.
I think most also depends on how Pokemon will be revealed. They won't wait until the end of May like last year, it's a new generation. But the possible timeframe for the announcement is large according to me, from late February to April.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's way too quiet. I'm not expecting a Direct this week at all. Would love to be surprsied but there's really no signs pointing to it outside of a few tangential retail listings and the idea that it "should" be this week.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's way too quiet. I'm not expecting a Direct this week at all. Would love to be surprsied but there's really no signs pointing to it outside of a few tangential retail listings and the idea that it "should" be this week.

What do you expect to see on a Monday afternoon, when an announcement probably wouldn't be 'til Wednesday morning?

Not saying it will be this week, but there's no reason to doubt it yet. The last insider information we had put it +/- 2 weeks from the indie presentation, and this week is the final week for that window.

Plum

May 31, 2018
What do you expect to see on a Monday afternoon, when an announcement probably wouldn't be 'til Wednesday morning?

Not saying it will be this week, but there's no reason to doubt it yet. The last insider information we had put it +/- 2 weeks from the indie presentation, and this week is the final week for that window.

I don't know, it just seems that we usually have a lot more in the way of insider posts, teases, etc than we have now. There's a 'feel' before a Direct, if that makes any sense lol. It's not a rational thing, nowhere near.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it just seems that we usually have a lot more in the way of insider posts, teases, etc than we have now. There's a 'feel' before a Direct, if that makes any sense lol. It's not a rational thing, nowhere near.

That's true, but it's also true that many insiders have stopped posting as such, or at least stopped stoking hype, following the TGA debacle and the ensuing vitriol. Zhuge posted on the 26th saying news was coming "fairly soon," although that could have been an inevitability-based extrapolation not rooted in inside knowledge.

I continue to think we'll see a February Direct, because — at minimum — Fire Emblem Three Houses' hype cycle must begin soon, since it was reiterated as a Spring title without delay. Seems doubtful they would only begin detailing it in March, with a release as soon as May, since they undoubtedly want to maximize its mindshare to elevate the series further on Switch.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Insiders notwithstanding, they need to lay out and promote their H1 content and setup releases for at least June as if they announce June content at E3 it will be too late.

The wait for news is horrible this year.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That's true, but it's also true that many insiders have stopped posting as such, or at least stopped stoking hype, following the TGA debacle and the ensuing vitriol. Zhuge posted on the 26th saying news was coming "fairly soon," although that could have been an inevitability-based extrapolation not rooted in inside knowledge.

I continue to think we'll see a February Direct, because — at minimum — Fire Emblem Three Houses' hype cycle must begin soon, since it was reiterated as a Spring title without delay. Seems doubtful they would only begin detailing it in March, with a release as soon as May, since they undoubtedly want to maximize its mindshare to elevate the series further on Switch.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that with the insiders. I definitely wouldn't want to risk setting out a clear date for anything even if I knew about it.

I do agree that a Direct in February is most likely, but one this week is where I'm not too sure. What I do know is that it's been one of longest waits for a Direct and it's really strange. Nintendo's Twitter is pretty much just there to promote mobile titles, post the occasional sales PR statement and support 3rd party titles at this point.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So, yeah, after NateDrake's post in the 'First Party Thread' it seems that it's at the very earliest next week.

It'll be the 2nd longest wait between Directs and the 1st longest wait between major events. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't interpret anything from his post. Just him being silly.

But maybe it is a hint of some sort. I don't know.

I don't have the energy to care anymore.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nate or anyone else knows the precise date right now. Nintendo is a tight ship.

The best thing to do is simply to stop worrying about it. It'll come relatively soon.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Nate or anyone else knows the precise date right now. Nintendo is a tight ship.

The best thing to do is simply to stop worrying about it. It'll come relatively soon.
It's extremely likely loads of people know whether the date of a general Direct is within a few days. They tend to have some third party stuff and that requires some sort of announcement cooperation (see lots of stuff showing up before disaster-delayed Direct).

Plum

May 31, 2018

Yeah, I suppose it would be a good idea but it's definitely hard to not be at least a little frustrated.

He did say it wasn't a hint, so I guess we'll see.