RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Woah, I hope everyone is all right, both Nintendo employees and people in Japan in general. I totally understand the delay, they can take all the time they need. No hurry.

With an earthquake that intense, I think there will likely be damage that will hinder them for weeks, right? I've never experienced a heavy earthquake, so I don't know what people usually go through.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately this is nothing anyway, directs don't bring release dates any closer so I think its okay waiting another week or so before Nintendo advertise to me.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
hopefully if the direct comes they would add a segment of guidelines how to donate or help on this recent earthquake

since nintendo direct are seen by plenty of people that should gather peoples attention to help those who need

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Good call on Nintendo's part. There's a time and a place for hyping new video games, and today isn't it. I hope everything goes as well as it can for everyone affected by this earthquake.

I would also not be surprised that when this Direct resurfaces, it starts with a moment of silence. It would just seem like a proper thing to do.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's probably a part in the direct where the earth is shaking, have to edit that out.

edit: how is this a joke? i'm not making light of the situation, jesus fucking christ.

Last edited:

Samus_Aran

Jan 22, 2018
Will be interesting to see if something leaks at midnight because some PR person forgot to reshedule the predated social media postings

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you're not the first, so let me respond to you as a reply to all. Yes you guys are right, while 6.7 Richter (technically M, I think at least this was on the M scale) is not shocking (no pun intended) by Japanese standards (though it leveled parts of Christchurch), Richter / M give incomplete information, where depth and type of quake matter a lot, and this earthquake does seem to be very severe in terms of property damage. So my apologies for giving an incomplete account.
It's all cool. As long as everything is clarified in the end.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, doesn't look too fun there.

1536224470166648.gif

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not telling you to not talk about the Direct or video games - but that the reason as to why they have delayed this should be pretty obvious and doesn't need people to speculate wether earthquake-related content was part of the Direct.
I don't think speculation on the direct can happen in this thread, sorry Nibel, but the topic in here is about the Earthquake and just a notice about the delay to the direct, which absolutely needed to happen. How can we speculate about the direct with this context? I understand some people don't want to get on a hype train right now, and I have close friends in Japan who just got married a few days ago in Osaka, one of the best men is a friend of mine for the past 21 years, and was suppose to fly out a couple days ago, no one heard from him the past 24 hours. He just posted on facebook a few hours ago and is safely with the married couple, so I trying to see how what I just said can also share space with speculation on the direct here in this thread.

If the other thread didn't direct here, it would make a bit more sense, and closing that thread at the time does make some sense, but I think we need 2 separate threads for these very separate topics, or you guys as mods have to clearly just tell us not to speculate on the direct, which you're saying you want us to do. I am more saying this for the communities' sake, because we are a gaming forum, designed to discuss gaming news, and while all of this is going on in Japan, there are people who still want to discuss gaming, that is why we didn't close the gaming section right?

P.S. Sorry if this comes off rough, my friend and I just got off the phone, he was telling me about his experience the last 24 hours, he has anxiety and is one of my closest friends, so this just sucks and I'm a bit out of my element.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Dammit, Japan really can't catch a break, can it? Hopefully they can recover quickly, it's boubd to be tough weathering both a typhoon and a massive earthquake.

Respect to Nintendo for delaying the direct and showing solidarity with your fellow countrymen.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
The focus is that the direct was delayed because of the earthquake. Not the earthquake itself.

Is it in bad faith to ignore the earthquake topic and speculate about video games? Probably. But that doesn't change the topic at hand no matter how you want to construe it.

The topic at hand is literally saying thay the direct is delayed because of a natural disaster, not to speculate about said Direct. I'm pretty sure if the kids wanted speculation about the Direct they would have left the Direct thread open. This thread we are in right now is an informational thread on what has happened. Nothing more.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The topic at hand is literally saying thay the direct is delayed because of a natural disaster, not to speculate about said Direct. I'm pretty sure if the kids wanted speculation about the Direct they would have left the Direct thread open. This thread we are in right now is an informational thread on what has happened. Nothing more.
It should be a sticky, and the ectera thread about the earthquake should be where people are discussing these things, the rest of video game threads are moving along normally, I don't see why Nintendo fans can't speculate about a direct when we can talk about what Sony is showing a TGS for instance. There should be a direct thread IMO, but I've made the case to the mods, I don't even really have anything to speculate on right now because for myself, this was a personal event that has taken the wind out of my sails, but I know that is not everyone's experience.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
It should be a sticky, and the ectera thread about the earthquake should be where people are discussing these things, the rest of video game threads are moving along normally, I don't see why Nintendo fans can't speculate about a direct when we can talk about what Sony is showing a TGS for instance. There should be a direct thread IMO, but I've made the case to the mods, I don't even really have anything to speculate on right now because for myself, this was a personal event that has taken the wind out of my sails, but I know that is not everyone's experience.

How about you chill, pay your respects, and quit with the backseat modding?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sad to know that Japan is suffering from even more natural disasters... and yeah we can wait for the Direct, now Japan's priorities are really different and they need to focus on keeping people safe...

DaSorcerer7

Oct 26, 2017
Uk

Agreed.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or it's to respect that a huge earthquake just occurred and many people are impacted by this in Japan?

Of course, but you do know that they also have to go through the entire video and make sure that they don't leave something insensitive in, right? Which is also why there's no definite date and time for the rescheduled direct. Not everything is a joke.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Meanwhile, the assholes of twitter...

Can we not give these people any attention at all? Spend half a minute on this person's profile and you'll see it's being done for attention / a troll. There's hundreds of comments and replies with compassion and empathy but instead people are already picking up on the handful of assholes making dumb comments and saying "fucking gamers".

We can spend ten pages discussing how gamers are shit or we could just ignore it completely and move on. It's edgy teenagers and trolls looking for attention, nothing more and doesn't deserve our time.