• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am stationed at the northwestern side of Japan and the earthquake woke me up in the middle of the night. I didn't think it was that bad until I woke up later that day and read the news .

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
That looks horrible. I can't imagine how it must have felt like. Hopefully the human damage can be kept to a minimum.

And for people who are cracking jokes about this... come on. Get a grip.

Fucking gamers.

Christ, I first thought it was some very bad trolling/parody attempt.

Fucking gamers indeed.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling in a sensitive thread.
What a bad time to have a direct featuring their big new game where you play as an earthquake.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The Direct has been delayed exactly one week. According to the datamine, the Splatoon 2 update scheduled for today will now go live next Thursday.

Before:

After:

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
I feel like this would actually take quite a bit of effort to postpone, if there were "available today" games, features, or DLC planned embargo's need to be changed, files to take down/reupload.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Little bummed about the Direct delay.
Very sad about the earthquake. I went to Hokkaido for about a week last year, it's kind of bizarre to think of the scenario I saw there while travelling and the one in the news right now.
Hope Japan catches a break from this string of natural disasters

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! I just woke up to this news. Best wishes to everyone over there. Our silly little gaming news video can certainly wait.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
What a bad time to have a direct featuring their big new game where you play as an earthquake.

TalkativeLavishChimpanzee-max-1mb.gif

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
We had one in Christchurch in 2011. It was 6.2, it destroyed the city and killed 185 people.
I'm assuming that isnt in Japan or a countries where big earthquakes áre common. Countries in high seismic zones should be able to resist at least close to a 9.0 (more than 1000 times more energy).
The problem in this one was that the town was built in a dangerous zone and a landslide happened.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely the correct course of action to take. I hope everyone affected is able to recover as best as possible. Earthquakes and Typhoons are serious disasters with often devestating impacts for the lives of so many and so thoughts should be with those people affected today.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
The Direct has been delayed exactly one week. According to the datamine, the Splatoon 2 update scheduled for today will now go live next Thursday.

Before:

After:

Very interesting, I wonder if they'll announce a new date today. I'm a little skeptical it will be a full week...A one week delay is significant for such a coordinated, worldwide marketing event (although delayed for good reason).

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Was really looking forward to the Direct, as we all were, but this was the right thing to do. Hope all those involved stay safe.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I'm assuming that isnt in Japan or a countries where big earthquakes áre common. Countries in high seismic zones should be able to resist at least close to a 9.0 (more than 1000 times more energy).
The problem in this one was that the town was built in a dangerous zone and a landslide happened.
Christchurch is in NewZealand and is on a fult line, so earthquakes aren't uncommon. problem with the 2011 earthquakes is that a lot of older buildings weren't up to code.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Christchurch is in NewZealand and is on a fult line, so earthquakes aren't uncommon. problem with the 2011 earthquakes is that a lot of older buildings weren't up to code.
It's always the same problem with old buildings =\, .i just assumed that sincé Japan already had some 8.0+ earthquakes in the past years old buildings were already renewed.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

The western magnitude scale is really ineffectual when it comes to describing earthquakes as they effect peoples. It measures the energy at the point it it was released which can be very distant or very close to the people effected. The Japanese Shindo system reflects the reality of earthquakes much more accurately. It was rated a 7, which is as high as it goes on that scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Meteorological_Agency_seismic_intensity_scale

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I wonder if the content of the direct will also be changed accordingly; for instance, I doubt that they would showcase a "disaster day of crisis 2" if it was planned. I remember Sega canning Propellers Arena after the 9/11.
Either, Nintendo is a Japanese company and when a string of natural disasters occurs in Japan, it's perfectly understandable that they would postpone this kind of event.

Oct 29, 2017
Very interesting, I wonder if they'll announce a new date today. I'm a little skeptical it will be a full week...A one week delay is significant for such a coordinated, worldwide marketing event (although delayed for good reason).

Doubt they'll announce it today, they'll probably just wait until next Wednesday and copy the same timings over exactly one week ahead.

Rearranging everything like this at the last minute is no small feat. Never mind having to rearrange eShop releases and such, they'll also have to renegotiate with 3rd parties and such with their new announcements and releases (who now have to change their marketing strategies to compensate; not easy, especially this close to TGS!)

A week should be long enough to get everything sorted and in place, but a week's delay for a Nintendo Direct has some surprisingly big ripple effects. It's not just something that affects Nintendo themselves, but also every single 3rd party developer and publisher involved too. Moving it is a big deal.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
It's always the same problem with old buildings =\, .i just assumed that sincé Japan already had some 8.0+ earthquakes in the past years old buildings were already renewed.
Buildings itself is usually quite secure (unless it's really old).
Problem is the side effect of the quake like tsunami or landslide where there really aren't any solution aside from not residing in potential danger zone.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Buildings don't rebuild themselves by magic. It's not feasible to tear down and rebuild every old building in Japan that would need it to "resist" a 9.0 earthquake as you put it, (which is functionally impossible, by the way, as no person nor country could afford to design every building in that manner).

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I was super excited for this Direct but I can't believe some of the insensitive comments I've seen. I realize we all love Video Games but we are talking about real life and peoples lives. I hope everyone can put this into perspective.

Best wishes for Japan and I hope for as quick of a recovery as possible.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I was once abruptly woken up at 3AM because of an 8.8 earthquake. I know first-hand the damage an earthquake can cause. I truly hope people are safe over there.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Before:

After:

This makes perfect sense if true. A week is a fair seperation from the earthquake and the eShop updates that day so it lowers the possibility of needing to change the Direct itself. A week's nothing when compared to the tragedy in Japan.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017

Before:

After:

Possibly a temporary measure that they can change later as more details roll in?

Either way, 1 week is a good amount of time to delay it by, and expected

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

LuigiBlood

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
away from Era
Could be a temporary measure to avoid the game to bug when it happens. But just expect it next week anyway. Could still be earlier considering the implications though.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so people realize this is being done as a sign of respect, not because Nintendo HQ in Japan fell over or something.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good reason to delay the direct. I am sad I have to wait a while longer to see what Nintendo had up their sleeve, but I can wait.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I heard some nasty things about that earthquake. I hope people are safe over there.