• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It's the only game that could have a demo and it does look crazy good to be a "witchcraft".

If it isn't the "witchcraft" thing then we still don't know what it is.

I took "witchcraft" to mean something that people would imagine would be hard or impossible to port to switch, like what happened with the Witcher 3.

XCHD is beautiful but it's nowhere near that

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
With the slate of games coming they were smart to not show their biggest guns just yet.

Once the onslaught of games eventually slow down, they'll start to be more aggressive on this front.

Basically what I am saying is : The Game Awards will be fun.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
With the slate of games coming they were smart to not show their biggest guns just yet.

Once the onslaught of games eventually slow down, they'll start to be more aggressive on this front.

Basically what I am saying is : The Game Awards will be fun.

I'm actually starting to wonder if there will be a November Direct (or Direct mini) given they have so little for Q1 right now.

True but if people had just seen that trailer(that wasn't Switch footage?) and didn't know it was 30fps I could see it coming from that.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 also looked really good but I'm not sure it was witchcraft level

Yeah I was wondering if it could've been Divinity OS2. Or maybe something we haven't seen yet.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's complicated. On paper, it features ideas and concepts that sound like it could appeal to most Nintendo fans. However, maybe the execution of those ideas/concepts could lean more casual? It's difficult to say who the target audience is without seeing the game.

Well, you got my interest piqued at least.

I know you can't get into specifics for obvious reasons but the way you describe it, it sounds like something that might be in a traditional genre but with some simplified/unusual elements. There was this XBLA game by 5th cell called Hybrid which was a cover based third-person shooter and had a very simplified movement system. Basically you'd only move from cover to cover by pressing a face-button and you didn't have direct control over your character's movement. Could it be something along those lines?

On a related note: Nintendo is interested in resurrecting some of their popular casual IPs from the Nintendo DS years. Which makes sense with the upcoming launch of the Switch Lite - a cheaper device that exists with the main purpose of broadening Switch's audience with kids and families.

So their Touch Generations/Wii series stuff? Lots of cool games to salvage from that series. I got my fingers crossed for Endless Ocean but it sounds like it might be more Brain Age and Nintendogs stuff.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd much prefer they resurrect some of their Gamecube era ideas *cough* Eternal Darkness *cough* but it looks like they're letting third parties fill those types of roles.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- No new monolith game but a remaster that nobody asked for.
- 30fps/2 years late Overwatch.
- No outlandish 3rd party game such as Sekiro.
- No overdue third party game such as GTA 5, Dark Souls 2 or MGS 5.
- No SMT 5 or Bayo 3.
- No game from Retro (and probably nothing until MP4 which honestly doesn't invite to optimism).
- No increased output from Japanese developers, and specifically no Monster Hunter on Switch.

While I can perfectly understand that some people liked this direct, it was very underwhelming in my opinion, especially coming out of a string of amazing presentations from February this year (indie and general directs).
This direct lacked in too many aspects in my opinion, and would have been better as a 15 minutes mini direct.
I have many games to play so I'm more or less good, but I also expect the first half of 2020 to be quite rough. Once again.

No response and again the implications. Fuck this, I get it. I am inferior to your superiority because I have the gall to enjoy a remake...oh right, I'm a fucking nobody because as according to you "nobody asked for this".

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually starting to wonder if there will be a November Direct (or Direct mini) given they have so little for Q1 right now.

It is possible, right now they have one notable game per month :

Jan : Tokyo Mirage #FE
Feb : Gods and Monsters
March : Animal Crossing
April : Trials of Mana

+ probably Pikmin 3 and Mystery game 4.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
- 30fps/2 years late Overwatch.
- No outlandish 3rd party game such as Sekiro.
- No overdue third party game such as GTA 5, Dark Souls 2 or MGS 5.
- No SMT 5 or Bayo 3.
- No game from Retro (and probably nothing until MP4 which honestly doesn't invite to optimism).
- No increased output from Japanese developers, and specifically no Monster Hunter on Switch.

While I can perfectly understand that some people liked this direct, it was very underwhelming in my opinion, especially coming out of a string of amazing presentations from February this year (indie and general directs).
This direct lacked in too many aspects in my opinion, and would have been better as a 15 minutes mini direct.
I have many games to play so I'm more or less good, but I also expect the first half of 2020 to be quite rough. Once again.
Wouldn't Overwatch be the overdue 3rd party game?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
His commentary on Terry in Smash made me unsubscribe.

Yeah apparently they announced more DLC fighters, because they "knew that people would be disappointed". Riiiight.
man, you just know some people here will meltdown when the extra characters are also chosen from mid tier japanese pubs

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even have a switch and got excited watching this. I need to focus on my work until about March, but after that I've been thinking about taking the plunge with Animal Crossing.

I bought a New 3DS with the intention of playing Xenoblade Chronicles, but never actually got the game. I guess ship's sailed now

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I think Nintendo choose the best time to release TMS. It's releasing at a time when there's barely any other prominent game and most people want to start the year with a new purchase, that's what helped a lot to Tales of Vesperia's sales (and that still had to compete with NSMBUDX).

It was either that or December but TMS doesn't strike me too much as a "December game" since is not that big.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Based on how crammed that direct was, I'm not expecting another one for a long while. Probably the biggest gap get.

Yea, the gap between the fall and following spring direct is usually the longest. And that is when direct fever reaches maximum levels around here.

Never forget January 2018.....

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The people here blasting Arlo here because he doesn't share your opinion, yikes. I don't even agree with most of what he said. I see why some people stay away from Era.

He isn't taking anything away from you because he didn't like the Direct. If you're having a quarter life crisis because someone didn't like a commercial for video games, you really need to find something better to do. Goodness gracious.

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The people here blasting Arlo here because he doesn't share your opinion, yikes. I don't even agree with most of what he said.

He isn't taking anything away from you because he didn't like the Direct. If you're having a quarter life crisis because someone didn't like a commercial for video games, you really need to find something better to do.
I think it's especially embarrassing given that in a lot of ways Arlo is basically the average NintendoEra poster

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Pretty much, I've gone to Arlo's meetups before and he is nothing but a kind soul. One of the most passionate Nintendo fans out there.
You're saying the real Arlo isn't a fuzzy blue muppet? Source?

But seriously, it's really immature behavior to bash somebody because they don't share your views on what ultimately amounts to a glorified advertisement

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Definitely. It was slated for 2019 but that seems to be off the table right now.
Delaying the game to 2020 would make all the sense in the world, even if it would be ready for 2019. The 2019 slate is very strong already, both from a first and third party perspective, and they don't need to strengthen it further, especially if the game is not guaranteed to sell a ton of units (although it could, if it blows up like Splatoon).

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I expected Pikmin 3 Deluxe to get announced, a different Wii U port over Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and the new IP. I knew TMS was coming to Switch but thought it would have happened later and we'd see Pikmin 3 hit first. So, yes, I expected a bit more from Nintendo in this Direct than we got.
Honestly. I thought different and felt Nintendo didn't need to show much new 1st party wise.

Usually fans are creaving directs but since E3 fans kinda had their plates full with tons of games to play that the "demand" for a new Direct didn't really happen. As in, the community was rather calm about it.

They can ride out the rest of the year and have a direct in January for tons of 1st party stuff, at least that's what hoping. It could be a dry year next in terms of 1st party, who really knows.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Wait, so there's another Wii U port in the works? If this is Super Mario 3D World, I swear I won't survive to even make it to the release.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so there's another Wii U port in the works? If this is Super Mario 3D World, I swear I won't survive to even make it to the release.

Insiders apparently knew of TMS and Pikmin 3, the latter having not yet been announced. Emily said 3D World is a matter of when and not if, but we don't if that's happening any time soon.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

eh2c6hugrbm01.jpg

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I generally like Arlo, but he has this thing where he's just really dismissive of people that don't share his opinions on certain things (motion controls, the importance of certain franchises, etc.) usually in a way that implies he's just objectively correct, and then throws up the "Well, it's just my opinion" defense while never really acknowledging why he's irking some people.

Agreed, he comes across as really entitled and dismissive of people liking different things sometimes. Like if a cool shocking announcement happens on Switch and he's not into it he just kind of dismisses it as underwhelming and not important because he doesn't like it. Listening to him talk about SNK, Deadly Premonition, and Doom 64 on this direct coverage just came across as weirdly entitled and bad.

I wish he did more stuff with other people so they could compensate for his lack of knowledge in some areas.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
That is true, I've seen many takes as idiotic as "they knew it was going to be disappointing so they announced more DLC fighters" in these threads.

This doesn't seem like a particularly outlandish take? I think Nintendo was aware that the Terry Bogard pick would be received with bewilderment by some segments of their audience (especially in North America). I mean, previous Smash Ultimate reveals have opened or closed Directs--Well, OK, technically, Banjo-Kazooie and Isabel were the second-to-last reveals--while Terry was kind of shoehorned in the middle. They also took the time to contextualize the reveal and the Neo-Geo brand in a way that they haven't for previous fighters.

This isn't to say that Terry is a bad choice or that he hasn't "earned his spot" (whatever that means), just that Nintendo probably did anticipate some amount of backlash to the announcement, and it's not unreasonable to think that they may have announced the fact that additional characters are coming now (instead of after the Challenger Pack #5 reveal, which would have been more natural) in order to mitigate that backlash.

For what it's worth, I actually think that strategy (if it was a strategy) worked, because I've seen a bunch of "don't care about Terry, but, hey, at least my dream character might be in Fighter's Pass #2" comments here and elsewhere today/

I think we all know that Q1 2020 will probably be as barebones as all the Q1s since Switch launch.

Yeah, I mean, in 2018 we got a Wii U port (Boayonetta 1+2) in February and a family-friendly platformer in March (Kirby Star Allies), and this year we got a Wii U port in January (NSMBUD) and a family-friendly platformer in March (Yoshi's Crafted World), so Tokyo Mirage Sessions in January and Animal Crossing in March would actually be a slight step up, given that Animal Crossing is a larger franchise than Kirby or Yoshi.

That said, given how reliable Emily and Zell are, Nintendo almost certainly has Pikmin 3 Deluxe on ice and are just waiting for the right moment to use it as schedule filler, so maybe we'll get a TGA announcement of P3D in February with a Pikmin 4 teaser or something.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
On a related note: Nintendo is interested in resurrecting some of their popular casual IPs from the Nintendo DS years. Which makes sense with the upcoming launch of the Switch Lite - a cheaper device that exists with the main purpose of broadening Switch's audience with kids and families.
That's interesting because nowadays some of those IPs (Brain Age mostly) would have a hard time competing with apps and websites that deliver similar experiences. NIntendogs would be cool tho.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Too far along but it is possible it missed a recent milestone in development.
Maybe they expanded the project because they saw more potential in terms of sales so they want to back it up with more content and polish

And the fact that you believe its more towards the Splatoon and ARMS side of appeal vs Sushi Striker is exciting. I wonder if its another multiplayer game or single player? Who could be making it? o:

Also the fact that we still haven't seen Monolith Soft's new IP is also interesting. Could mean that it's really getting the time, budget, and polish it deserves before it surfaces to create a good first impression. The closer to release the announcement trailer is, the better looking it'll be. Monolith Soft, like Nintendo in general, has a huge tendency to leave graphical polish to last. Notice how much better Xenoblade 2 looked upon release vs its initial reveal trailer only a year away from launch. Its reveal was really framerate-y, blurry (like the actual video resolution or game output resolution was blurry and low res, like less than 720p) which they fixed up majorly as it got closer to release.

Compare these two screengrabs from the E3 2017 trailer of XBC2 vs A near release trailer less than 6 months later:

Vdpqv5V.jpg

Xus34qi.jpg

They're both Youtube gabs but you can clearly tell one is overall much sharper, and that's ignoring other specific graphical details. Looking at the Xenoblade Definitive Edition, there are very clearly some low resolution shots in there. Not low res textures or low res shadows, but actual game output low res look.

Mbmt7RF.jpg

NHHYzW8.jpg

Technically in the scenes they're alright. However you can tell they're not sharp images. They almost look like the whole shot is ever so slightly out of focus. I know and expect Monolith to fix this up by release no problem. Not the best first two shots to begin the trailer though to sell an HD remake. I wonder if the game by this point in development was even outputting in HD resolution for these wide shots by the time of capture lol. My point is that Monolith Soft leaves graphics last. So the longer they wait to show the medieval action game, the better its first impressions are going to be graphics wise. And that excites me because they are one of Nintendo's biggest graphically pushing studios. I want to be blown away by what they can output with a full dev cycle, no big rush, more budget after their financial success, and starting from scratch with HD hardware vs this remake

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The people here blasting Arlo here because he doesn't share your opinion, yikes. I don't even agree with most of what he said. I see why some people stay away from Era.

He isn't taking anything away from you because he didn't like the Direct. If you're having a quarter life crisis because someone didn't like a commercial for video games, you really need to find something better to do. Goodness gracious.

I think I was the first person in the thread openly critical of the blue guy, so I'll respond.

I have no problem with him having different opinions. Heck, some of my favorite videos of his were when he was very critical of Nintendo. I just think he's lost the magic he used to have and that he focuses on one specific game to his detriment. I still am happy for his success, but he's also the first YouTube channel that I've actually unsubscribed from. I just don't like his stuff nowadays.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't seem like a particularly outlandish take? I think Nintendo was aware that the Terry Bogard pick would be received with bewilderment by some segments of their audience (especially in North America). I mean, previous Smash Ultimate reveals have opened or closed Directs--Well, OK, technically, Banjo-Kazooie and Isabel were the second-to-last reveals--while Terry was kind of shoehorned in the middle. They also took the time to contextualize the reveal and the Neo-Geo brand in a way that they haven't for previous fighters.

This isn't to say that Terry is a bad choice or that he hasn't "earned his spot" (whatever that means), just that Nintendo probably did anticipate some amount of backlash to the announcement, and it's not unreasonable to think that they may have announced the fact that additional characters are coming now (instead of after the Challenger Pack #5 reveal, which would have been more natural) in order to mitigate that backlash.

For what it's worth, I actually think that strategy (if it was a strategy) worked, because I've seen a bunch of "don't care about Terry, but, hey, at least my dream character might be in Fighter's Pass #2" comments here and elsewhere today/

If you think Nintendo would seriously go after a character that they think they have to make more palatable, I don't know what to tell you.

Not sure what it is with gaming communities and this tendency to make up borderline conspiracy theories because some people didn't like an announcement. It's such an arrogant and egocentric way to look at things.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think I was the first person in the thread openly critical of the blue guy, so I'll respond.

I have no problem with him having different opinions. Heck, some of my favorite videos of his were when he was very critical of Nintendo. I just think he's lost the magic he used to have and that he focuses on one specific game to his detriment. I still am happy for his success, but he's also the first YouTube channel that I've actually unsubscribed from. I just don't like his stuff nowadays.

And that's perfectly fine and sound reasoning. I've become quite disenchanted with a number of youtube channels I used to be a big fan of. People and things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Arlo's reactions or anything but it is really annoying how many self professed Nintendo fans only seem to be interested in a very narrow range of their franchises(usually revolving around Mario, Zelda and Metroid) and dismiss everything around that.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Wouldn't Overwatch be the overdue 3rd party game?

Good point, though the port being 30fps is really disappointing and a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. But indeed, this qualifies as one overdue port.

Now, if this is to be one of the major announcement of this general direct, and if a remaster of the first xenoblade is to be the second major announcement of this direct when a vast majority of people hoped and expected at least a new game (one can just read the monolith soft topic on this forum to reach the same conclusion), then this direct would have been better if it had been labelled mini-direct and was 15 minutes long, in my opinion.

To the rest of the people quoting me in this topic:
I was very vocal about how good I found the previous directs and indie directs in 2019, I'm certainly not going to shut up when I find that the September 2019 direct sucked. You're just going to have to deal with it :)

Oct 31, 2017
but it's nothing like Resident Evil 2 or Final Fantasy VII remakes or anything.

I mean, those two games are re-imaginings so yeah ! :P

That is what I've been saying. It looks more like they imported the Wii game and vastly improved the lighting, redid the characters models, and updated the textures. However, it isn't like RE2 and the like where they outright rebuilt the game. I guess is more akin to Wind Walker HD.

WWHD is also a remake though.

Last edited:

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
No. Xenoblade 1 is a ground up remake. TPHD was a remaster. Not a single texture/model is the same in the Xenoblade 1 remake. Just like Crash/Spyro/L's A.

A remaster is supposed to have new textures. Any non-HD game to HD is generally going to be a remaster. A true remake this is not though. I mean they even subtitled the game Definitive Edition.. they wouldn't sub a remake like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.