• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The truth about [Hidden Content] is:

• The [Hidden Content] we made along the way

Votes: 151 19.3%
  • What [Hidden Content] said before insiders were run off

Votes: 30 3.8%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 152 19.5%
  • Honestly, I feel like user [Hidden Content] posts way too much.

Votes: 95 12.2%
  • [Hidden Content]

Votes: 206 26.4%
  • That's what [Hidden Content] said

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • Lightning [Hidden Content] twice

Votes: 97 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want a $60 Mario 64 port to be Nintendo's big holiday game just to see what they're truly capable of getting away with

Jun 19, 2020
Not to mention that Octo Expansion is probably already the ceiling for what good Splatoon single player can look like without delving into different genres/side games. And it's a pretty damn good ceiling!

Last edited:

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
Lol at "Being squandered on a multiplayer game". Splatoon is multiplayer focused and I'd rather not have it any other way. We have plenty of single player focused games on the Switch.
This.
I see a Splatoon spinoff certainly having a stronger first person component to it than the main series does, but Splatoon is inherently a multiplayer series. The spinoff will come with a multiplayer mode the coincides with the game's gimmick or theme, but I do not see them trying to create a subsidiary competitive scene for the series, just a companion multiplayer experience.

What I really want from a Splatoon spinoff though is just more new and interesting character designs. Hell, I'd be more than glad to play as someone who's not an inkling/octoling with a different gimmick than just splatting ink.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Looking for a game to pass the time till more Nintendo news, is Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom worth the price? It's still kinda pricey in Australia at least.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I don't think it's ideal to pen any franchise in as being "fundamentally" any one thing, gameplay-wise. In my mind, the beauty of an IP like Splatoon is that I can see it branching out into an extraordinarily diverse range of genres, single and multiplayer, without feeling forced or unpleasant. Mainline Splatoon will probably always be multiplayer-first, but any other series they do with it shouldn't be bound by anything present in the main games.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Yes I've played and enjoyed both Splatoon games thank you.
Then I REALLY don't get your take. Not everything has to be single player focused, just like not everything has to be multiplayer. Splatoon is and will ways be better as a multiplayer game straight up. Now, that's not to say that there can't be good single player content (looking at you Octo Expansion).

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Then I REALLY don't get your take. Not everything has to be single player focused, just like not everything has to be multiplayer. Splatoon is and will ways be better as a multiplayer game straight up. Now, that's not to say that there can't be good single player content (looking at you Octo Expansion).
I mean, we're talking about a spinoff. Splatoon 3 should obviously be another multiplayer game.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Alright, now I'm a little less confused. But how is the movement potential squandered by multiplayer? It was built for it.
Because it's restricted to small multiplayer maps, and the mechanics are tailored to MP first and foremost.

Think of a big ass single player game with super creative level design, enemies, boss fights, power ups etc, that can make as many changes to the gameplay as they want without being tied to the multiplayer game (eg weapons that would be completely unbalanced for PvP).

Essentially a Super Mario Galaxy level of creativity in a Splatoon game.

Edit: And I wouldn't expect any spinoffs to be made by the main Splatoon team, so don't think this would take away from the mainline series. Have the 3D Mario team make the game or something.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Because it's restricted to small multiplayer maps, and the mechanics are tailored to MP first and foremost.

Think of a big ass single player game with super creative level design, enemies, boss fights, power ups etc, that can make as many changes to the gameplay as they want without being tied to the multiplayer game (eg weapons that would be completely unbalanced for PvP).

Essentially a Super Mario Galaxy level of creativity in a Splatoon game.

Edit: And I wouldn't expect any spinoffs to be made by the main Splatoon team. Have the 3D Mario team make the game or something.
Then what is the main Splatoon team doing then? It's been years since they put out a new game, and they've said before that Splatoon 3 isn't in production.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
"I want a Splatoon spin off!"

"but it should keep the great movement mechanic of the mainline games"

"It should be multiplayer!!"

This topic is slowly reaching the conclusion that the next Splatoon is the third. It took time.

and I wouldn't expect any spinoffs to be made by the main Splatoon team.

Unless I'm mistaken, spin offs are never done by the main team; and are often less ambitious than mainline games. If "Hey! Inkling" had to be released, I would have expected it last year rather than 3-4 years after S2. That sort of duration is typical of a... sequel.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
"I want a Splatoon spin off!"

"but it should keep the great movement mechanic of the mainline games"

"It should be multiplayer!!"

This topic is slowly reaching the conclusion that the next Splatoon is the third. It took time.

Unless I'm mistaken, spin offs are never done by the main team; and are often less ambitious than mainline games. If "Hey! Inkling" had to be released, I would have expected it last year rather than 3-4 years after S2. That sort of duration is typical of a... sequel.
Please don't be Splatoon 3. Not because it'll be bad, but it'll start up the Mario Kart 9 on the Switch debates again.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Weren't there rumors about a Mario + Rabbids sequel? Seeing that Ubisoft moved from Mario to DK for the DLC, it is a distinct possibility that another Nintendo franchise such as Splatoon would be featured.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
October is an excellent month, but November is the best. And September is close behind.

August is meh, though, it's the worst month of the year that isn't named July

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
splatoon 2 is still selling decently (but not hugely) every quarter, but i feel like they need something else to keep interest up in the IP before 3 comes out. a spin-off seems very likely.
the aesthetics, music, lore, etc of splatoon are super strong so imo almost any genre can work in the splatoon world.

JellicleGec

Jul 16, 2020
In regards to the Splatoon spin-off I had two ideas that have been pondering in my head. The first is a sort of Splatoon Street sports kinda thing, something about skateboards, roller skates and bikes just really fits the Splatoon aesthetic in my mind and I think could potentially incorporate some cool mechanics with the ink.

I also just finished the Octo expansion and the beginning of the escape phase were you were without a weapon left me imagining what a Splatoon stealth game could be like. Maybe potentially looking deeper into the company responsible for Agent 8 and the Deep Sea Metro? I could also envision this as a part of a turn based strategy stealth sort of game. I feel like a strategy game with the modern Squidbeak Splatoon as your units would be the most likely though.

splatoon 2 is still selling decently (but not hugely) every quarter, but i feel like they need something else to keep interest up in the IP before 3 comes out. a spin-off seems very likely.
the aesthetics, music, lore, etc of splatoon are super strong so imo almost any genre can work in the splatoon world.

I definitely agree with this, Splatoon has such a rich world and the two main games have had massive sales so diversifying the output for the series and exploring the world further would definitely help to strengthen the brand. and I think Splatoon 3 is almost guaranteed to be a big seller and could be a massive draw for a switch successor and such that Splatoon 3 would be wasted on the switch when the series and brand could expand instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.