The truth about [Hidden Content] is:

• The [Hidden Content] we made along the way

Votes: 151 19.3%
  • What [Hidden Content] said before insiders were run off

Votes: 30 3.8%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 152 19.5%
  • Honestly, I feel like user [Hidden Content] posts way too much.

Votes: 95 12.2%
  • [Hidden Content]

Votes: 206 26.4%
  • That's what [Hidden Content] said

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • Lightning [Hidden Content] twice

Votes: 97 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
This feels a bit disappointing tbh, like Nintendo had such good momentum in 2019. I hope we get BoTW2 and some good Zelda ports next year because this year of Mario has been a bit disappointing.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Nintendo's E3 would have been like
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I think E3 getting cancelled and Nintendo not confirming as much as a whisper of a replacement speaks volumes.
The power of assumptions let us ignore that though.

It would've had Zelda, the Mario Stuff, Pikmin, and a lot of 3rd party things though.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yes, let's pile on people disappointed to have only one game to look for and it's yet another 60$ port with two 5 minutes long missions added and a menu.

But Sony did it too right?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeaaaaah going off of the announcements for Clubhouse Games, Paper Mario, and now Pikmin 3: two months definitely feels like the minimum amount of time that they will allow between a game being announced and released.

Given that, I think the Mario Anniversary September dream might be over. Still think November is a possibility though!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Could it not be something as simple as Nintendo having a plan to release ports whenever development on a title is delayed? Like, the Wii U failed but Nintendo clearly weren't disappointed with the quality of a lot of their titles so they figured that their 5 year roadmap has plenty of wiggle room with these ports in reserve whenever a game needs extra time.

If BOTW2 is severely affected by COVID for example they could bring over the Wii U Zelda ports, or XBCX if the next Xenoblade game needs more time. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing some 3DS ports at some point either, they clearly aren't afraid to give their titles more time in the oven now.

Bringing over the Wii U Zeldas might just not be in the cards at all. It's not like Wii U ports are necessarily trivial. They might just bring over the Gamecube versions sometime down the road with the emulator they have.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 can be disappointing, but show some of the big 2021 games and I'm hoping getting a Mario direct will do that

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
You've gotta be fucking kidding me with these goddamn ports, Nintendo.

Now the only game on Nintendo's release schedule is another WiiU port in October, two months from now. Come on.

Oct 27, 2017
I get it, it's a rough time to be a Nintendo fan but clearly none of these delays and lack of 2020'games are their fault. No one knows how to work through a global pandemic and are all just doing the best they can.

I've long since written off most good things happening in my entertainment hobbies until summer 2021. Next gen console launches are a nice surprise but have been in the works so long, and game development for games scheduled summer - holiday 2020 were likely impacted by COVID significantly.

i think we can all go 2020 without a Nintendo first party lineup like 2017-2019. It will be nice if games make it out, but as is Im fine waiting even if we only get Pikmin 3 and Mario Collection.

some of you seem like you forgot about the dreadful first party output after Splatoon 2 (Yoshi, Star Fox which bombed, #FE and Paper Mario over like 15 months) and the 18 month wait between "were making NX" in March 2015 and Switch reveal in October 2016. This feels like nothing compared to that imo

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I knew this thread was special the moment I copy and pasted most of it. Just takes the right title (Lichtsang) and a bit of TLC.

Gotta learn to stop chasing waterfalls.
I don't want no Deku scrubs

I'm gonna go out on a crazy limb and say that Metroid Prime Trilogy is finally coming this year...

I'm always out on this limb, and I think it's about to break. 😭
Give us that sweet release Ninty

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
God, I'm starting to regret having come back to Era. I thought it was just me, but it just seems a majority of people around these forums are vehelmantly anti-Nintendo. What would otherwise be pleasant news with Pikmin 3 instead gets lambasted instead of praised. There wasn't even any hype surrounding it...

No offense meant but I completely disagree with your take, at least on a personal level.

I love love love Nintendo. I love video games because of Nintendo. No other company gives me the sense of childhood wonder like Nintendo does...and I'm almost 40.

Rather, I want Nintendo to be the absolute best they can be. And 2020 Nintendo is just about the worst side of them.

Pikmin 3 is frustrating for a few reasons
1. Its been finished for a while
2. Its a WiiU port
3. It isn't coming out until October 30th
4. Nintendo literally has nothing else scheduled
5. Their communication has been awful since September 2019

While I am excited for Pikmin 3D I am also justified in my frustration with the company.
The announcement could have been icing on the cake. Instead its like Nintendo handed us a small jar of icing and told us to go make our own cake & be happy they gave us something to put on top.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
I withdraw the statement. *eats candy bar*

I don't know how I forgot Paper Mario! I'm actually playing through it and enjoying it quite a bit. Even still, 2 original games still isn't great (and no, I don't count clubhouse games because it's a collection of games that already exist).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Pikmin 3 Deluxe got announced via tweet, noted insider has voiced concern that this year's release schedule was the plan all along and that they have no idea what Nintendo is doing
Although it sucks for us, if that was the plan, I can't say it's a bad plan. Everyone is talking about Xbox Series X and PS5 so any game this Christmas is going to have a rough time on mindshare.

Paper Cheese

Oct 9, 2019
I'm trying to picture what Nintendo's E3 Direct would have looked like if it hadn't been for the pandemic - do we think Paper Mario, plus 3D World Deluxe and the Mario collection, and basically not much else? E3 would have been more of a Mario celebration than a general look at games coming out during the year?

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I'm trying to picture what Nintendo's E3 Direct would have looked like if it hadn't been for the pandemic - do we think Paper Mario, plus 3D World Deluxe and the Mario collection, and basically not much else? E3 would have been more of a Mario celebration than a general look at games coming out during the year?
According to Grubb, E3 would have had a big Mario theme for the anniversary.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Maybe NCL should've grown their studios at a faster rate and much earlier. Everyone is making HD games now. No more 3DS.
I figure incurring losses and having limited profits during the Wii U era - as well badly getting HD development wrong before that - has repercussions that last through to today. The headcount is something like 1200 higher since early 2017, so the rate of expansion is notable but has also only accelerated once Switch was on the market. There's obviously no clear breakdown on how much of that is EPD recruitment, but it seems to me Nintendo only felt confident enough to hire more aggressively once they had transitioned to Switch and were confident it would succeed.

The other side of it is that even with partnerships with external partners and internal recruitment running at a few hundred a year, there's no way getting around the fact projects simply don't pan out sometimes. We've got proof of that with things like Prime 4 rebooting and the apparent cancellation of Ridge Racer 8. We know things like post-launch support have gradually ramped up, which takes up resources. Projects might be taking longer than planned even before Covid. It's easy for us to say "sort it out", but if we want the ambitious new stuff, then it feels like that classic streak of Nintendo doing things in their own way at their own pace will remain.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Now the only game on Nintendo's release schedule is another WiiU port in October, two months from now. Come on.
Almost 3 months tbh.

I wonder when the next smash dlc trailer will be up. Maybe we'll just get the next one end of the year and a bunch next year or 2022.
I doubt it. I expect the next character to be out on October or sooner. If they have a non-specific Mini Direct this month, trailer will be there. If they don't, I can see them announcing it during a Sakurai Presents video a week before release.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Hints and more confirmations about earlier hints + Pikmin 3.
Pikmin 3 Deluxe got announced via tweet, noted insider has voiced concern that this year's release schedule was the plan all along and that they have no idea what Nintendo is doing

Thanks all.

Personally not invested in the Pikmin franchise, but glad that fans of it get the game - finally!!

Sounds like I'll need to go over some of the last pages...

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Even going by this logic it's disappointing Nintendo didn't set up more third-party partnerships for this year. Without them the Switch would be kinda barren in terms of Nintendo releases in general. It's pretty obvious it's been a great way Nintendo's filled the release gap that's come as a result of longer development schedules.

Depends on what it is you want, really. If you want exclusives you'll be hard done by, but it's also the end of a generation on the other two major platforms. Some of the biggest titles of the year are internally developed for Sony (TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima). The few 3rd party exclusives that did exist on those platforms were either prestige titles with timed exclusivity (FFVII: Remake) or simply more suited to the more powerful hardware (IE: they wouldn't run on Switch in their current forms).

Outside of those 2020's still had the following for Switch owners to potentially experience for the first time:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Kentucky Route Zero
Florence
Darksiders Genesis
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
Persona 5 Scramble (in Japan, but we're getting it eventually)
Metro Redux
Murder by Numbers
Exit the Gungeon
Doom 64
Panzer Dragooon Remake
Shinsekai: Into the Depths
Streets of Rage 4
Void Bastards
The Wonderful 101: Remastered
Bioshock: The Collection
Borderlands Legendary Collection
XCOM 2 Collection
The Outer Worlds (shame about the quality)
Burnout Paradise Remastered
Ninjala
Catherine: Full Body
Superliminal
Deadly Premonition 2 (shame about the technical and writing quality)
Carrion
Crysis Remastered

And we don't know what the rest of the year holds for 3rd party support. Doom Eternal is a thing that might still exist or might have been cancelled, but we at least know about it.

The 3rd party support HAS been there. Admittedly, these experiences might not be for you personally, or you might have already played them, but they'll still be new for a lot of people.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
me: Nintendo should more aggressively expand their internal studios as well as form more partnerships
fools in these threads: nah, it's not necessary, you'll see
me, "seeing it" in August:
usure.png

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I love video games.
I love Nintendo.

but I just don't care if they have large gaps of empty release schedules. I'll give them money on stuff I want whenever they decide to release it lol. At the end of the day, that's it, just me waiting to give them money on some cool games. Pikmin 3 is nothing to me so I'll just wait some more lol. I can't get mad.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Considering Captain Tsubasa post, how in the world Nintendo pre covid have planned a Year with 2 new games? Is fucking insanity

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
This is a sad year for the Switch and a strange one for Nintendo.

Usually we expect having ports in the first 2 years in a console life and it peaks in its third and after, never in my life saw a console getting this much ports nearing its 4th year in the market?

its not about covid19, thats the lineup since the beginning of the year, with only 1 consloe to support and with all the success its having!?!? what is Nintendo doing with it? most games are even not developed by Nintendo? "Smash, Fire Emblem etc"

just by looking at Wii U Nintendo games and the Switch lineup it makes me wonder what in the blue hell Nintendo doing on the Switch.

I get the feeling that Nintendo leadership hasn't really changed that much from the mentality of the Wii years. You almost get a sense of them being too overconfident. Like after the Wii U bombed, they had to act aggressive for the first couple years of the Switch so the output was great, people were happy. But now that they're a success again... it's almost like they're just patting themselves on the back and reverting back to the "we were always right mentality" or "people will always buy our stuff no need to go beyond what we're doing". Hopefully we don't see history repeat itself here.

I'm still hoping that this is all a gambit as they move towards a switch revision where they do another mini launch. So they're okay having an off year like 2020, because it lets them reorganize and better line things for the future. But who knows with them.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
So the fall/holiday schedule is looking like this:

- September- ???
- October - Pikmin 3
- November - Bakugan
- December - ???

Well, alrighty then!!

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
I love video games.
I love Nintendo.

but I just don't care if they have large gaps of empty release schedules. I'll give them money on stuff I want whenever they decide to release it lol. At the end of the day, that's it, just me waiting to give them money on some cool games. Pikmin 3 is nothing to me so I'll just wait some more lol. I can't get mad.

Thats a great attitude, Nintendo will LOVE you.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
And the Switch is still basically sold out everywhere right now. I feel like Nintendo is overconfident once again- this reminds me of the latter Wii years.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
This year has been a disasterclass, and I genuinely do not think it'd have been much better without COVID.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Nintendo deadass wants me to survive 2020 on an Animal Crossing diet, huh? I'll take a bit of Xenoblade, Deadly Premonition 2, and Smash news sprinkled here and there, but yeah, this could be 2016 Wii U-levels of bad, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.