• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Nintendo canned the Retro game with the singing mechanic once they realised it would never be as good as Wandersong.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I aint buying the singing-rpg / no second game posts yet.

I refuse to believe that Retro was working on stuff for 5~ years that failed / we'll never see, then they were handed MP4, along with Nintendo giving a public announcement, strongly affirming that Retro is going to do things right. This is a Retro that isn't even the same Retro that made MP1-3 necessarily.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I refuse to believe that Retro was working on stuff for 5~ years that failed / we'll never see, then they were handed MP4, along with Nintendo giving a public announcement, strongly affirming that Retro is going to do things right. This is a Retro that isn't even the same Retro that made MP1-3 necessarily.

Sure bud. They just sat around for 5 Years not doing shit while Nintendo paid them. This is the Retro that made TF which probably better than any MP game. The MP Retro made DKCR which nobody thought they could make at the time.

of course they worked on stuff that failed lol. Do you see anything produced from them in 5 years that's a new game?? I'm looking I'm looking. Nope I don't see anything new from them in 5 years.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who's this? Fun speculation

Nintendo Switch Lineup for the first half of 2020 will be
- Brain Training Switch
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions
- Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
- Animal Crossing New Horizons
- New Style Boutique 4 (probably renamed for Nintendo Switch)
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe
- Xenoblade Chronicles D.E

A New Donkey Kong Country will be one of the bigger games for Nintendo Switch next year. This time Retro Studios is not behind.

And Finally there is also another Metroid game that is coming late in 2020, a 2D Metroid. The plan is to make this franchise relevant again and secure good sales for Metroid Prime 4 (2021 at the earliest) releasing this and Prime Trilogy HD next year.

If you wonder what's going to happen to the Starfox franchise, if Captain Toad is gonna have a sequel, where is Wario Ware or what's next itineration on the Kirby's franchise...ask me after E3 2020.

I have a hard time believing that Nintendo cut all of that for the 3DS and was going to release all of it in 2019. And stop teasing me about Star Fox lol

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh I believe that Retro had issues one way or another. The singing part, I'm not buying.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time believing that Nintendo cut all of that for the 3DS and was going to release all of it in 2019. And stop teasing me about Star Fox lol
Regardless of his tweet (which is 95% bs just looking at his history), Star Fox will never die as long as Miyamoto is around. Every generation has had a Star Fox game

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Star Fox needs to be reinvented with an exciting new direction. I'd like to see Nintendo pass it off to a younger team. If they made ground combat akin to Gears of War style movement and gunplay, keep the aerial stuff similar to SF Zero, and expanded on the environments we play in, then Star Fox could become a big deal, imo.

I know people think Star Fox should go the Starlink route, but I'd prefer that make Star Fox more action-focused and serve as a sci-fi action/adventure with space, air and ground combat. Basically a good Star Fox Assault without the multiplayer and awful controls.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. You missed Star Fox Command on the DS though

I see what you mean by generation then.

Yea Star Fox is my favorite Nintendo franchise that isn't one of the big three (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon) I played 64 to the end of time and back a hundred times. It never gets old. I could probably do it blindfolded at this point. Sar Fox Adventures I enjoyed what I played of it, even knowing how it became a Star Fox game. Assault had some good ideas that fell just a little short of being great. I was stoked when Zero was announced. Unfortunately the motion controls sucked. Believe me I tried to get used to them but it never happened. Star Fox Guard was fun to play though.

Basically I hope Nintendo goes one of two ways with Star Fox. Either start with a port of Zero without the motion controls (would be my first Wii-U port purchase lol) or make a brand new game. I still believe there is a lot of potential with this franchise, and we have never seen a Star Fox online mode. That is the true dream.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
That singing rpg sounds like an even worse idea than starfox GP. I understand why Nintendo would get frustrated in the end. What I do not understand, is their decision to give the next Metroid Prime to a studio that's been failing at everything they did for the past 5 years. It'll be either a disaster, or a genius move, I guess...

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Star Fox needs to be reinvented with an exciting new direction. I'd like to see Nintendo pass it off to a younger team. If they made ground combat akin to Gears of War style movement and gunplay, keep the aerial stuff similar to SF Zero, and expanded on the environments we play in, then Star Fox could become a big deal, imo.

I think Nintendo should do something like Daemon X Machina with the series. Turn it into a mech combat game. If you're going to revitalize a series, might as well start from scratch.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I know people think Star Fox should go the Starlink route, but I'd prefer that make Star Fox more action-focused and serve as a sci-fi action/adventure with space, air and ground combat. Basically a good Star Fox Assault without the multiplayer and awful controls.

Yea, I enjoyed Starlink and while there are some things that Star Fox could take from it, the resource gathering and long travel are a pass for me.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I hope they lean heavily into the furry aspects of the series and fandom. Make it into a crazy mashup sex fetish dating flight fashion sim. Go batshit crazy with it, and earn decades of goodwill for Nintendo.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017

Actually I think they should make a Star Fox battle royal. As the map shrinks, access to vehicles gets more and more constrained. Start with Arwings, Landmasters, the whole fleet of spacecraft. Then just Landmasters, on foot and the drones and bipedal weapons. Then just the on foot and lower tier vehicles. So on and so forth.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a lot of good ideas to make Star Fox bigger. I'll always believe it has the most potential out of Nintendo's series that are squandering. Nintendo just hasn't found it yet. The space getting is very unique for them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want "Furry Mass Effect" written on my tombstone

In addition to "Federation Force was a good game"

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Sure bud. They just sat around for 5 Years not doing shit while Nintendo paid them. This is the Retro that made TF which probably better than any MP game. The MP Retro made DKCR which nobody thought they could make at the time.

of course they worked on stuff that failed lol. Do you see anything produced from them in 5 years that's a new game?? I'm looking I'm looking. Nope I don't see anything new from them in 5 years.

What i mean to say is not that they weren't doing anything - im saying they didn't just cancel everything produced in the last 5 years. I'm still waitin' that's all. I'll wait until MP4 comes out before I concede that everything else got cancelled.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the NSMBU sales considered disappointing as well? Considering how much the series sold on the DS, Wii and 3DS.

He didn't say anything about NSMBU as far as I'm aware.

My own thoughts, I think it sold fine considering Nintendo pushed it out in January then released a more anticipated 2D Mario half a year later.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I think Nintendo should do something like Daemon X Machina with the series. Turn it into a mech combat game. If you're going to revitalize a series, might as well start from scratch.

It's already been said but if you want to make Star Fox mainstream your best bet is a furry Mass Effect.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A singing RPG makes it sound like they were making a western Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Although maybe there were actual game mechanics for singing in this?

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Fox... Look at this - like sneaking into the captain's quarters. Heavy risk, but the prize..."
"Slippy, what the fuck are you doing"

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I'm just here waiting for the next big 3rd party exclusive to get announced. Going into 2019 we knew about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Daemon X Machina (then in February we got Astral Chain revealed), going into 2018 we knew about Octopath Traveler and Bayonetta 3 was just announced at the time.

Right now we have Rune Factory 5 (which isn't really big by any means), we're still waiting on old Bayonetta 3 news from 2017 and Shin Megami Tensei V continues to be MIA since October 2017. Curious of when we'll see the next big exclusive get. Either at the game awards again like previous 2 years or in the next big direct. Maybe Bravely Third will show its face finally in Jan-Feb and/or we get a good reveal at TGA next month

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm just here waiting for the next big 3rd party exclusive to get announced. Going into 2019 we knew about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Daemon X Machina (then in February we got Astral Chain revealed), going into 2018 we knew about Octopath Traveler and Bayonetta 3 was just announced at the time.

Right now we have Rune Factory 5 (which isn't really big by any means), we're still waiting on old Bayonetta 3 news from 2017 and Shin Megami Tensei V continues to be MIA since October 2017. Curious of when we'll see the next big exclusive get. Either at the game awards again like previous 2 years or in the next big direct. Maybe Bravely Third will show its face finally in Jan-Feb and/or we get a good reveal at TGA next month
I'm not that interested in third-party exclusives. They're fine if they would not have been funded without a platform holder's money, but I generally prefer all third-party games to be on as many platforms as possible.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

Marvel and Astral Chain are first party.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm surprised those Shenmue remasters never made it to Switch. Ah, well. Just got them from Humble Monthly, so I guess I'll just play them on PC.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2. I wasn't thinking EA would be the one to make it. Their relationship with Nintendo seems so bad.

I don't think Star Fox is a series that would fit big dialogue choices and RPG mechanics.
I'm not sure if I would want to hear about Slippys family or Fox and Krystals relationship problems again, going closer to Command again is not the way to go.

I wouldn't want it to become something like Gears of War either cause thats just too slow.
If we have to have Ground combat they should definitly take inspiration from their Smash Bros movesets and make it something like a slower Vanquish with ground sliding and stuff.
Keep that Arcade heart of the series alive.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Right now we have Rune Factory 5 (which isn't really big by any means)
I mean, you listed Daemon X Machina :P

Game awards definitely seems like a good opportunity. Nintendo seem to like to showcase their third party exclusives there (Bayo 3 "showcase", Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3). It might be a bit early for something from the Octopath team, though, considering that only released in 2018. But who knows, maybe they have a second team at work Bravely Third. There has been Bravely "teasing" for a while, although they do have the dual responsibility of making mainline Octopath Traveler and making the mobile game, so I wonder if they are big enough to handle another console project at the same time, which they would need to for Bravely Third to be a 2020 game.

How about Ubisoft and Mario + Rabbids? I'm pretty sure they went right into developing a sequel when the game released, considering the great reception and upfront sales, so a 2020 release is definitely possible I think.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Arcade is dead outside of indies.
I just wouldn't want Star Fox to focus too much on the Story like Astral Chain did if it's just really run of the mill and nothing to write home about.
Mind you Star Fox Characters have more Character so it could be more fun but we also had a game with Character focused Stories in the series once with Star Fox Command and those were just really bizzare.
I'm not saying to make ot straight up arcade but making it a slow cover shooter or a Story focused RPG wouldn't be the way to go.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Imran on KindaFunny said that Nintendo was disappointed with the sales. He's considered one of the most trustworthy Nintendo insiders out there.
Imran also mentioned they put it on themselves for not advertising the game in the proper way (I recall it didn't get any highlight in the E3 presentation outside of a few seconds in the upcoming releases roll) and not having constant updates like they did for SMM1, To me, given the sales numbers shared by Nintendo, it's the "Wow we could have really had another 15M seller if only we treated it properly" kind of disappointment, it will still outsell SMM1 and make a great profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.