Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the issue with Bayonetta 3 was simply that it was announced quite early, at the behest of a developer that isn't quite as big as people seem to think they are, nor immune to the ebbs and flows of industry pressures and development difficulties. Platinum hasn't exactly coasted through their entire existence. Post Metal Gear Rising they had a pretty extensive rough patch, and it wasn't until Nier Automata came along that they picked up. Even so, Astral Chain was clearly the major focus at the time and probably sucked a lot of resources away from Bayonetta 3. Their work on Granblue was canned. And Babylon's Fall doesn't look anywhere near as far as along as most people expected.

I don't doubt Bayonetta 3 is deep in development and targeting a 2020 release, but yeah. Announced quite early, it seems.

All of this plus the cancellation of Scalebound, disappearance of World of Demons and Lost Order plus whatever self-published title(s) they've been working on. Life as an independent developer is rough.

Question, do you guys want Nintendo to announce games that are several years away (Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3) or do you like their usual Modus operandi of announcing games that are 6 to 12 months away?

I generally prefer a window of 3-9 months but I won't get mad at exceptions. Especially at the beginning of a generation, I can see why they would want to announce bigger stuff in advance to show what's in store for the system. It's only a problem when there's a trend of games being announced way too early.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Do people think 2020 will be like "2018" low content first half and then a few bangers at the end or be more like this* year with a steady drip then an onslaught of games for 2nd half

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think one reason we didn't get Zelda at the Game Awards (besides the game potentially not releasing in 2020) is because it doesn't need that level of exposure - I know Nintendo took it there in the past, but that was before they knew Switch would be a huge success. This year they chose to spotlight a couple of third party exclusives from smaller franchises, which is interesting. They've given a big spotlight to two games that aren't especially well known and which aren't Nintendo-developed, which highlights the increasing choice and diversity of Switch's line-up.

Zelda's going to make a splash wherever it appears; No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2 got to be displayed to a big audience that they're more in need of than Zelda. So I still think Zelda could be 2020 - it might have a 9 or 10 month run-in from teaser to launch,* like Smash Ultimate did (say a February/March teaser confirming a 2020 release, blow-out and release date at E3). I also don't think we can rule out 3D Mario yet. A January reveal and a July launch wouldn't be completely out of character for Nintendo - they can spotlight it in a dedicated Direct ahead of E3.

So while it's obviously by no means certain, I think 2020 could still have Mario and Zelda as marquee releases after Animal Crossing.

* (I'm aware my phrasing is a little off here - I mean Zelda's main PR cycle could be similar to Smash Ultimate, with a 2020 teaser early in the year, a blowout and release date confirmed at E3, a late November/early December release)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is everyone going to give up on BotW 2 not coming in 2020? If it's not at E3?

Zell said it was a 2020 game at the beginning of this year. I really hope Nintendo didn't have any development issues that's making them push it to 2021.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum insists Bayonetta 3 development is going smoothly, but I'm not sure if I believe that when Hashimoto suddenly left earlier this year. My assumption is the that game got hit by a delay internally because of it.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
A January Direct is coming most likely, however, anything that's announced in that Direct may or may not release until the later half of the year at the earliest.

I kinda doubt (and I hope I'm wrong), that Nintendo has a February game we've never heard about up its sleeve. We know AC is coming in March, but do they have a major title ready for April? I mean what could it even be?

I'm always excited for what comes out, but my guess is that 2020 will be a slow year, at least the first half, which is great for me since I need to clear my backlog anyway.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
When is everyone going to give up on BotW 2 not coming in 2020? If it's not at E3?

Zell said it was a 2020 game at the beginning of this year. I really hope Nintendo didn't have any development issues that's making them push it to 2021.
Yep, E3 2020 is the latest point at which I would reasonably see Nintendo starting the marketing push. The game has already been announced, so it doesn't necessarily need to feature in a Direct before E3 in order to be known to the world before the E3 blowout.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
A January Direct is coming most likely, however, anything that's announced in that Direct may or may not release until the later half of the year at the earliest.

I kinda doubt (and I hope I'm wrong), that Nintendo has a February game we've never heard about up its sleeve. We know AC is coming in March, but do they have a major title ready for April? I mean what could it even be?

I'm always excited for what comes out, but my guess is that 2020 will be a slow year, at least the first half, which is great for me since I need to clear my backlog anyway.

I mean when was the last time Nintendo's first half of the year was not slow? Even this year was slow up until Mario Maker 2 in June. Nintendo simply doesn't care about that time period lol.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

Yes. Honestly, I think we're going to see something of Zelda at E3 come-what-may - I don't think Nintendo can afford to ignore such a heavily anticipated title even if development is taking longer than initially planned.

Nintendo are clearly comfortable doing short run-ups to major releases, including their EPD-developed projects. So I think Zelda could have a short, sharp PR cycle next year and so could 3D Mario (if that's coming). E3 is the point where we'll know for sure what's going on.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I have always assumed BOTW2 was a 2021 title. Nintendo has no problem announcing when a game is coming in the following calendar year. If it was targeted for 2020, they would have said so.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I have always assumed BOTW2 was a 2021 title. Nintendo has no problem announcing when a game is coming in the following calendar year. If it was targeted for 2020, they would have said so.

Or.... they are planning for 2020, but considered the long history of Zelda delays, they decided to hedge and not share a release year if they didn't have too.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I mean when was the last time Nintendo's first half of the year was not slow? Even this year was slow up until Mario Maker 2 in June. Nintendo simply doesn't care about that time period lol.
They have Animal Crossing in Q1 and probably a big game in Q2.

A big/huge game per quarter is already a lot, especially in Q1/Q2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or.... they are planning for 2020, but considered the long history of Zelda delays, they decided to hedge and not share a release year if they didn't have too.
Yep this is how I saw it. Like I said zell said it's targeted for 2020. Nintendo wanted to be safe and not announce 2020 in case of a delay and they don't want to disappoint fans.

Hell people forget even at the Game Awards 2014 Miyamoto said BotW would release in 2015. This is how confident Nintendo was of the game releasing one year max later.

So it's safe to say Nintendo is in the same position again and they wouldn't want to give the 2020 release even at this Game Awards in fear of a delay happening

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is Nintendo has to plan out their E3's ahead of time. It's not some last minute thing. If Zelda is 2020 they'll want to decorate the booth I'd imagine. They have to create demos for people to play, etc.

I think by March they have to know if it'll make holiday 2020 to make the proper preparations for E3. If an Odyssey 2 is revealed at a March direct for example and it's peep quiet on BotW 2, then yeah I don't see it coming in 2020. This coincides with us knowing the big holiday title prior to E3 of the year.

Yes. Honestly, I think we're going to see something of Zelda at E3 come-what-may - I don't think Nintendo can afford to ignore such a heavily anticipated title even if development is taking longer than initially planned.

Nintendo are clearly comfortable doing short run-ups to major releases, including their EPD-developed projects. So I think Zelda could have a short, sharp PR cycle next year and so could 3D Mario (if that's coming). E3 is the point where we'll know for sure what's going on.
Idk. I think if 3D Mario is coming holiday 2020 they'll announce it prior to E3. To me Nintendo wants people to know "Tune in to our E3 presentation for BotW 2!" Like I see some kind of build up to let people know in their minds it will be the holiday 2020 game. I'm not sure if we'll go to E3 2020 Super quiet on what the holiday game is.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Nintendo have shown anything at TGA if a Direct is scheduled for next week or early January
You make it sound like we were supposed to know a January direct was coming? It's not like we knew Nintendo was going to do a February direct this year.

It makes more sense now for there to be a January direct with Nintendo showing no first party at the game awards (especially Smash 5th character)

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You make it sound like we were supposed to know a January direct was coming? It's not like we knew Nintendo was going to do a February direct this year.

It makes more sense now for there to be a January direct with Nintendo showing no first party at the game awards (especially Smash 5th character)

No, I'm just saying no one should draw any conclusions about the 2020 lineup from the lack of TGA presence because that just means a Direct is imminent

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Nintendo could have a surprise game for early 2020 like the stretchers or Tetris 99.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I think 2020 looks better now than what we knew of 2019 a year ago.

TMS#fe, Story of Seasons FoMT, Animal Crossing, Sports Story, Doom Eternal, The Outer Worlds, Panzer Dragoon, Streets of Rage 4, Disaster Report, Rune Factory IV/V, No More Heroes 3, Bayonetta 3, Bravely Default 2, Xenoblade Remastered, Radirgy Swag, Psykio Shooting Collections, Deadly Premonition 2, Orangeblood, Trials of Mana...

That's just off the top of my head without looking anything else up or any Directs. I'm already broke.

This is what we knew about 2019 in December 2018:

Tales of Vesperia, Onimusha, Chocobo's Dungeon, Final Fantasy 7-9-10-11, Resident Evil 0-1-4, Crash Team Racing, Team Sonic Racing, Mortal Kombat 11, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, Fire Emblem 3H, DQ Builders 2, Saints Row The Third, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Bloodstained, Pokémon Sword...

For me, it destroys 2020.

But then again, 2020 has gems like Two Point Hospital, Naruto Ultimate Ninja 4, Cold Steel 3, and My Hero One's Justice 2, so...

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
We haven't had a generel Direct in January since 2015. Unless you count the "mini" direct from a few years ago.

Most of them seem to occur in February and March.
Nintendo isn't going to release #5 the same month they announce it. (The fifth DLC Smash character is supposed to be released by February)
They will also want to show Tokyo Mirage Session again before release so a Direct in January is way more likely than February.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This is what we knew about 2019 in December 2018:

Tales of Vesperia, Onimusha, Chocobo's Dungeon, Final Fantasy 7-9-10-11, Resident Evil 0-1-4, Crash Team Racing, Team Sonic Racing, Mortal Kombat 11, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, Fire Emblem 3H, DQ Builders 2, Saints Row The Third, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Bloodstained, Pokémon Sword...

For me, it destroys 2020.

But then again, 2020 has gems like Two Point Hospital, Naruto Ultimate Ninja 4, Cold Steel 3, and My Hero One's Justice 2, so...
I think you are forgetting quite some 2020 games given the one you quoted. (The Outer Worlds, Persona 5 Scramble, Trials of Mana, Bravely Default II, No More Heroes 3, One Piece Warriors 4, CrossCode, Sports Story...)

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
All that fanxiety;

We're getting a February Direct, relax. It will announce games we had no clue about it and will release in 2020. Its been their MO since the introduction of the Switch and I see no reason why it would change this time around.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo isn't going to release #5 the same month they announce it. (The fifth DLC Smash character is supposed to be released by February)
They will also want to show Tokyo Mirage Session again before release so a Direct in January is way more likely than February.
They may very well shadow drop Fighter 5. It feels like the most likely possibility now.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are forgetting quite some 2020 games given the one you quoted. (The Outer Worlds, Persona 5 Scramble, Trials of Mana, Bravely Default II, No More Heroes 3, One Piece Warriors 4, CrossCode, Sports Story...)

The Outer Worlds, BD2, NMH3 were in the message I quoted.

And I was listing 2019 games but there are few I was missing, especially indie stuff. 2019 was a banger of a year even with stuff revealed in 2018, It'll be interesting to see 2020 beating that. It's still early though, we could see a Hellblade or Cuphead moment in the next direct.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Any chances of these ports next year?

Rare Replay
We Love Katamari
Kingdom Hearts 1/2

I'd say Rare Replay and Katamari 2 have better chance of happening than KH. I don't have high hopes for any KH game on Switch.

Rare Replay uses the BC feature of XB1, I doubt it's feasible to port that whole collection. Other ports have no technical problems coming over, but whether they will is anyone's guess.

There are only 5 Xbox 360 games in the collection and they're not that big, wouldn't cost too much porting them to Switch. Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo were supposed to be GameCube games originally, they need to return home in some way.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, E3 2020 is the latest point at which I would reasonably see Nintendo starting the marketing push. The game has already been announced, so it doesn't necessarily need to feature in a Direct before E3 in order to be known to the world before the E3 blowout.

This just made me realise that E3 2020 could be a big Zelda blowout with a huge dedicated booth a la 2016. I can imagine a whole lifesize dungeon with a creepy Ganondorf statue floating on a stage.

Either way they'll for sure pull out the big guns to take attention away from PS5/XSX

Status
Not open for further replies.