Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can you believe there are people who don't think the game that helped popularized twin-stick FPS and online multiplayer is not iconic

such people actually exist

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You could make an argument that Doomguy is more deserving than Master Chief since Doom popularized the entire FPS genre, but both characters would be worthy FPS reps.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see people are excited for FP5.
Personally i'm just waiting for more details on XB:DE. Now, granted it was announced in September, but i'd still like to hear some new information in the near future.
I would say the January/February direct we'll see more from it and get the final release date.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing being a huge March release is making January the most likely month for a Direct.

From there, it is not difficult to guess the most probable date for it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing being a huge March release is making January the most likely month for a Direct.

From there, it is not difficult to guess the most probable date for it.

I feel we're gonna get a separate special Direct for AC. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't mention it at next Direct at all.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I feel we're gonna get a separate special Direct for AC. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't mention it at next Direct at all.
They don't do that for their huge games. The AC segment during the September Direct was nothing new and yet they still dedicated 5mn to it.

You are going to see AC in the next direct, it is a given. It could get a dedicated Direct afterward too.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
So? If people want a big new single player IP from EPD, then that's what they want. Not everyone cares about the type of games Platinum makes. The focus of Splatoon is multiplayer just like ARMS. Both single player aspects take a back seat. They're multiplayer driven. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a big single player driven IP with online multiplayer added on. People don't mind that.

People respect EPD's talent. It's no disrespect to Platinum because they're good at what they do.

it doesn't really matter if its made in-house or not. Games like Astral Chain are still run through EPD anyway.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They don't do that for their huge games. The AC segment during the September Direct was nothing new and yet they still dedicated 5mn to it.

You are going to see AC in the next direct, it is a given. It could get a dedicated Direct afterward too.

If so, they're gonna give it the same treatment with last Direct. Small reminder trailer with at least 1-2 new feature reveals. It is a huge game and only a little is known about it, they'll save the rest for the dedicated Direct.

The last two Directs were third party centric directs, I expect this one to be same. Reminders for already announced Fp games, and 1-2 new first party reveals. Pikmin 3 reveal and Pikmin 4 tease will definitely be in this one.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If so, they're gonna give it the same treatment with last Direct. Small reminder trailer with at least 1-2 new feature reveals. It is a huge game and only a little is known about it, they'll save the rest for the dedicated Direct.

The last two Directs were third party centric directs, I expect this one to be same. Reminders for already announced Fp games, and 1-2 new first party reveals. Pikmin 3 reveal and Pikmin 4 tease will definitely be in this one.
You are agreeing with me that January is the most likely month for a Direct.

I don't expect this Direct to be 3rd party centric since they don't have a ton of 1st party games dated. Every H1 games will be announced, Spring games will be dated and we'll get some Summer games too.

However if there is a Direct in January then will it be the only one until E3 ? It could go both ways.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
January - general Direct
February - Animal Crossing Direct
March - ANOTHER GENERAL DIRECT BAYBEE

these are my thoughts, thank you all for reading

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't even stealth drop straight wii u ports. Why would they stealth drop a full trilogy ramaster? The only games they stealth drop at all are like that freemium kirby thing.
I've read too many times people thinking a MPT would drop. Do people think about what they're saying. You're talking about 3 Metroid Prime games just dropping digital out of nowhere.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
January - general Direct
February - Animal Crossing Direct
March - ANOTHER GENERAL DIRECT BAYBEE

these are my thoughts, thank you all for reading
Its been a while since Nintendo has done two general directs prior to E3. I really hope they do it again, but I have a feeling Nintendo's gonna have a weak half 1 and it'll be a Mini Direct in January that only shows ports and third party games. A general direct would then come in March if they do the mini direct in January.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing preorders are still not open in Japan. They are usually opening those after a Direct.

That's potentially the biggest Switch game there, they won't open preorders 1 month and a half before. January is the most likely option.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing preorders are still not open in Japan. They are usually opening those after a Direct.

That's potentially the biggest Switch game there, they won't open preorders 1 month and a half before. January is the most likely option.
I didn't know this kind of info. If that's the case then yeah a general direct on January 15/16 seems optimal.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh I don't see an indie direct. They've only done them late February/March and August since Switch Era began.

ok then switch the indie direct with the animal crossing one

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is, but the Thurday 16th isn't !

PertinentDazzlingAfricanmolesnake-max-1mb.gif

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
To get a better sense of what Nintendo is cooking in 2020, looking at the 2016/2017 release slate could be a good idea :

- 1-2 Switch
- ARMS
- BoxBoy --> next entry released in 2019
- Ever Oasis
- Fire Emblem Echoes
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Mario Party
- Mario Sports Superstar
- Miitopia
-
Pokémon US/UM
- Samus Returns
- Snipperclips
- Splatoon 2 --> Animal Crossing
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Breath of the Wild
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 --> Xenoblade Chronicles DE already confirmed.

- BoxBoy --> next entry released in 2017 and 2019
- Disney Art Academy
- Fire Emblem Fates --> Three Houses was in 2020 (but we'll be getting a FE big story expansion)
- Kirby : Planet Robobot
-
Mario & Sonic --> released in 2019 this time around
- Mario & Luigi Paper Jam --> AD is dead
- Mario Party Star Rush
-
Metroid Prime Federation Force
- Paper Mario Color Splash
-
Pokémon Sun/Moon --> Gen 8 was 2019
- Pokkén
- Rythm Heaven
-
Star Fox Zero
- Style Savvy
- Twilight Princess HD
- TMS #FE --> already confirmed

with the games being in bold are the most likely to get a follow-up.

Hence the following list of likely games getting an entry next year :

- Mario Party
- Kirby
- Paper Mario
- Pokkén
- Style Savvy
- Rythmn Heaven
- Zelda 3D remake
- Mario Sports game
- Tamagotchi/Miitopia
- 3D Mario
- Breath of the Wild 2
- 2D Metroid

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
To get a better sense of what Nintendo is cooking in 2020, looking at the 2016/2017 release slate could be a good idea :

- 1-2 Switch
- ARMS
- BoxBoy --> next entry released in 2019
- Ever Oasis
- Fire Emblem Echoes
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Mario Party
- Mario Sports Superstar
- Miitopia
-
Pokémon US/UM
- Samus Returns
- Snipperclips
- Splatoon 2 --> Animal Crossing
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Breath of the Wild
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 --> Xenoblade Chronicles DE already confirmed.

- BoxBoy --> next entry released in 2017 and 2019
- Disney Art Academy
- Fire Emblem Fates --> Three Houses was in 2020 (but we'll be getting a FE big story expansion)
- Kirby : Planet Robobot
-
Mario & Sonic --> released in 2019 this time around
- Mario & Luigi Paper Jam --> AD is dead
- Mario Party Star Rush
-
Metroid Prime Federation Force
- Paper Mario Color Splash
-
Pokémon Sun/Moon --> Gen 8 was 2019
- Pokkén
-
Star Fox Zero
- Style Savvy
- Twilight Princess HD
- TMS #FE --> already confirmed

with the games being in bold are the most likely to get a follow-up.

Hence the following list of likely games getting an entry next year :

- Mario Party
- Kirby
- Paper Mario
- Pokkén
- Style Savvy
- Zelda 3D remake
- Mario Sports game
- Tamagotchi/Miitopia
- 3D Mario
- Breath of the Wild 2
- 2D Metroid

too many marios on that list. after the disappointing mario maker 2 sales (which I called) they better off chilling a bit with the "mario" titles.

and I don't see mario party getting a new game on switch. maaaaaybe later on 2021 or 2022.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
too many marios on that list, I don't think they will be so unconscious again. after the disappointing mario maker 2 sales (which I called) they better off chilling a bit with the "mario" titles.

and I don't see mario party getting a new game on switch. maaaaaybe later on 2021 or 2022.
That's four Mario games which are all in different genres (RPG, Sport, Party, Platforming). They won't hurt each others. 2016 & 2017 also had 4 Mario games.

Plus, it is a list of likely options, all won't make it into 2020.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction:

January: No Direct
February: Regular Direct, at the very end of the month
March: Animal Crossing Direct

Nov 3, 2017
My prediction:

February: Regular Direct, at the very end of the month
March: Animal Crossing Direct

This year they've done game specific directs a month prior to the original release. I would shift everything back a month so that we get a general direct in January and an AC direct in Feb

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
This year they've done game specific directs a month prior to the original release. I would shift everything back a month so that we get a general direct in January and an AC direct in Feb

In that case, new prediction:
February: General Direct with a 15 minute deep dive into Animal Crossing, at the end of the month
March: No Direct

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
Last year I Loved the Emily teaser with the number of games Nintendo would likely release in 2019 and whether they would be Ports, sequels or new IPs. Lot of fun speculation =) anyway, a direct in january seems likely!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice to get the announcement of a new "Wii Sports" type of game from Nintendo next year. I'm itching for Switch Sports.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'd be nice to get the announcement of a new "Wii Sports" type of game from Nintendo next year. I'm itching for Switch Sports.

Same, but at the same time I don't want Miis again. It would be nice if they created new characters for this with their own visual identity like Camelot did for their older Mario Sports games.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sakurai pulls through and gives us another character no one was asking for.

Those are always the most fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.