• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Will Microsoft try to sell any old Rare games on Switch? Or will they just sell them to Nintendo for N64 Online in 2021?

Apr 21, 2018
The problem with the first half of 2019 was the redundancy. Yeah there was Tetris 99 and Cadence of Hyrule (and the Captain Toad DLC, if you want to count it), but a lot of the Nintendo releases were 2D platformers. There were two (!) 2D Mario games, Boxboy & Boxgirl and Yoshi's Crafted World. There's nothing wrong with 2D platformers but it would be easier not to notice just how many games they were pushing in the genre last year if they're weren't all released within 2 months of each other.

It wasn't a bad first half, but if you weren't feeling the genre, you had to wait a bit for Nintendo themselves to release something you might like. This comes after a year of mostly underwhelming games (Mario Tennis, Lets Go, Kirby Star Allies) and a lot of Wii U ports, so I get why people were antsy. 2019 ended up being fantastic though, with the only downside being that all of the games I wanted came out when I had no money, so I'm only just now getting around to picking them up.

Nintendo has seemed to stack their back half of the year with Switch, and leaving the first half rather light. 2020 looks to be the same outside of Animal Crossing, unless an imminent direct shows us the light.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
February - Tetris 99, solid game that's still fun to this day (imo), but a rather small release all things considered

Tetris 99 gets underrated. I see Goose Game on countless GOTY lists but no Tetris 99 - this makes me sad :( It's a brilliant reinvention of a timeless masterpiece. I've invested 700 hours into this gem. People will be playing this for years.

I wouldn't call it a small release.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Tetris 99 is the definitive GOTY and I will hear no slander

It's as good as Breath of the Wild and is still continuously enjoyable after nearly 200 hours of game time. It's probably the most fun Tetris has ever been

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tetris 99 gets underrated. I see Goose Game on countless GOTY lists but no Tetris 99 - this makes me sad :( It's a brilliant reinvention of a timeless masterpiece. I've invested 700 hours into this gem. People will be playing this for years.

I wouldn't call it a small release.
Jesus did not play many other games? That's almost as long as I've played every Switch game this year combined.

i do agree that it's highly underrated, but it's still a F2P Eshop title.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the first 6 months of the calendar year can feel pretty slow on Switch. Usually there's one "big" game in March, and then another one in June. But that's usually it with the majority of notable games falling into July through December.

2017 - Breath of the Wild, ARMS
2018 - Kirby, Mario Tennis
2019 - Yoshi, Mario Maker 2

Whatever else came in the first 6 months mostly consisted of Wii U ports and Labo kits.

2020 is shaping up exactly in that manner so far. Animal Crossing is the big March game, so I'm not expecting another notable release until June. (Maybe Pikmin 3 can fill the gap in April or May?) I don't really mind it though given how insane the number of upcoming game releases are on other platforms in March through May.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PopERA Is here. And We are ready for 2020!!

isn't it a little too soon for the mariah gifs?
...oh what the hell

ezgif-7-bdffc9d6ad89p2jns.gif

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I would prefer to see new games in the Direct. I cannot even watch AC footage without getting sleepy.

That's fair! I am almost in the same boat as you. Aside from Animal Crossing: New Horizons, nothing else that has been announced for this year has caught my attention. But, Animal Crossing has only received minimal coverage, especially for such a popular game that will be releasing in less than three months. On the contrary, 25 out of the allotted 43 minutes in the E3 2018 Direct were dedicated to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, followed by two dedicated Directs in the six month lead up to the launch of the game.

I would dumbfounded if Nintendo chose not to give the game the limelight in an upcoming Direct. Since the launch of the Switch, we have had regular Directs that also provided a focus on ARMS, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Tennis Aces, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Pokémon Sword and Shield.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm expecting a few more titles to show up in the first half of the year (though just like 2019, late June onward will be where most of the heavy-hitters drop):
  • An eShop title of some kind; possibly a Direct shadow-drop, or it could release a few months later like BOXBOY.
  • Pokémon Home; not really a game, but they'll promote it when the app drops (currently set for "Early 2020").
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe; a fine April or May release, like Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze in 2018.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition; probably May or June, I can't see it falling further in the year.
  • Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir; could see it popping up at some point in Q2, with Part II coming a bit later in the year.
My gut also tells me we'll see a fairly big physical release announced in the first direct of the year that will release in late June; following the pattern of Mario Tennis Aces and Super Mario Maker 2.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
You know what is nearly impossible but would make this upcoming Direct the best one ever

A silky shadow drop

No joke, I'd pause the video right there and run off to the eshop.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know what is nearly impossible but would make this upcoming Direct the best one ever

A silky shadow drop

No joke, I'd pause the video right there and run off to the eshop.

Team Cherry's last update on Silksong doesn't give me much confidence in a shadow-drop anytime soon.

So they'll shadow-drop Hornet in Smash instead.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i kinda don't want to see too many trailers for silk song. i haven't watched any of the trailers and demos past the first one.

Last edited:

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they will fully reveal BotW 2 at E3 and announce a 2020 release date for the maximum shocker effect. I mean by E3 everyone will be in "there is no way this game is coming out this year" mode so it would be a nice surprise.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
In my opinion, the biggest hint at a Direct happening this month and not February is the recent Animal Crossing trailer with the cover art being shown too. AC will most likely need its own Direct next month and they wouldnt want people to speculate about a another delay when they show nothing about it during next week's Direct.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, the biggest hint at a Direct happening this month and not February is the recent Animal Crossing trailer with the cover art being shown too. AC will most likely need its own Direct next month and they wouldnt want people to speculate about a another delay when they show nothing about it during next week's Direct.

That's actually a good point but do you think they will leave out AC entirely from the next Direct?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to laugh! You know, it's a little over the top, but that's just how festive we all are 😉
a;sdjn;akdn;akjsdnad not addicted to salami!

good point

That's actually a good point but do you think they will leave out AC entirely from the next Direct?
they may just put it in the sizzle reel at the end, like what they did with mario maker at E3

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All major Nintendo Switch releases for the holidays had a confirmed release date for that year before E3. If BOTW 2 does not appear in this Direct, then I don't think it will come out this year. Unless there is another Direct in April...
That's what some of us believe will happen. We always know what the big holiday game is prior to E3 of that year. If Odyssey 2 (or the next big 3D Mario game) isn't announced in this first direct for Holiday 2020, then I believe we will get a March/April direct and it will show BotW 2/Odyssey 2 for Holiday 2020. Nintendo won't wait until E3 to talk about BotW 2 again. We can get a small trailer in a March/April direct for BotW 2 or Odyssey 2, then the huge blowout at E3 of course.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All major Nintendo Switch releases for the holidays had a confirmed release date for that year before E3. If BOTW 2 does not appear in this Direct, then I don't think it will come out this year. Unless there is another Direct in April...
in 2017, both mario odyssey and xenoblade didn't have their date confirmed until E3. odyssey got a full date and xeno got a "holiday 2017" date with the full date being revealed in the september direct.
waiting until E3 to talk about botw 2 AND revealing a 2020 release date wouldn't be that surprising.

edit: and this year luigi's mansion had no date until E3, and even that was just a generic "2019", with the full release date being revealed later.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it'll be a repeat of xeno 2, everyone was convinced the game wouldn't come out in 2017.
It's not quite the same tbf. Even though I believe BotW 2 will be 2020 it doesn't have an official release year from Nintendo. Xenoblade 2 at least had an official release of 2017 when it was first announced.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest even if BotW2 had already an official release year people would still say it will be delayed.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
That's actually not true

Mario Odyssey release date was announced during E3 2017

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 release date was announced during the 2017 September Direct

Smash Ultimate release date was announced at E3 2018

Luigi's Mansion 3 release date was announced in a random tweet during the summer I think

I fully believe they wont show Zelda till E3 and then announce there its 2020 release date

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not quite the same tbf. Even though I believe BotW 2 will be 2020 it doesn't have an official release year from Nintendo. Xenoblade 2 at least had an official release of 2017 when it was first announced.
what about luigi's mansion 3? first announced with no release year at the september direct last year, then not mentioned until E3 this year where it got a "2019" date, and then the full release date was revealed later.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what about luigi's mansion 3? first announced with no release year at the september direct last year, then not mentioned until E3 this year where it got a "2019" date, and then the full release date was revealed later.
Luigi's Mansion 3 was announced as 2019 when it was revealed in the September 2018 direct.

This is what we're saying all the of big holiday games were already known to release that year before E3.

2017- Odyssey was announced in January 2017 as holiday 2017
2018- Smash announced in March Direct as 2018
2019- Luigi's Mansion 3 was announced in the September 2018 Direct as a 2019 game
2020- No game big enough has been announced as a 2020 game that fits the bill. XenoblaDE ain't it. BotW 2 is announced, but no release year (yet).

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think if Breath of the Wild 2 is coming this year, we're going to see something of it before E3 - even a brief tease.
Luigi's Mansion 3 had a '2019' release date at the first reveal. Dark Cloud and ivandlspozas are right - end of year games usually have a release window (i.e. the year they'll release) before E3, with a specific date being given later. If Zelda is 2020, we should see it and know before E3.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i see. still, i wouldn't be too worried, the game can get it's release date reveal at E3 imo, without them confirming it for 2020 before then.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if Breath of the Wild 2 is coming this year, we're going to see something of it before E3 - even a brief tease.

Luigi's Mansion 3 had a '2019' release date at the first reveal. Dark Cloud and ivandlspozas are right - end of year games usually have a release window (i.e. the year they'll release) before E3, with a specific date being given later. If Zelda is 2020, we should see it and know before E3.
Right. It's not a foregone conclusion BotW 2 is even the holiday game, even though most of us believe it will be. If it's a 3D Mario for example then it will 100% be announced before E3.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
After being announced, Luigi's Mansion 3 missed the February 2019 Direct before appearing in the E3 2019 Direct

After being announced, BotW 2 missed the September 2019 Direct, thus it will appear in the January 2020 Direct

It sure is easy to make up dumb theories that will probably get destroyed in a few weeks, lol.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After being announced, Luigi's Mansion 3 missed the February 2019 Direct before appearing in the E3 2019 Direct

After being announced, BotW 2 missed the September 2019 Direct, thus it will appear in the January 2020 Direct

It sure is easy to make up dumb theories that will probably get destroyed in a few weeks, lol.
This is the fun part. Nobody really cares about the actual direct. They're all bad anyways. 😝

Status
Not open for further replies.