• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a little worried about Monolith Soft's new IP actually being real. Someone on Twitter was telling me that wasn't concept art for a new IP and that it was just a basic recruitment for people to join Monolith kind of like the 3DS art they had years ago.

It just doesn't seem to make sense though when in the description they talk about "an ambitious project different from Monolith's brand". That seems clear cut and Zelda is a separate category still. If it was Zelda then they should've taken it down. It's hard to see it as a general recruitment page and would be disappointing if there's no new IP coming

I wonder how you came across this tweet chain lol

Anyway, we know from the Takahashi-Hashimoto interview that Monolith was working on/planning a fantasy action game back in late 2016. Also, the company went through an unusual growth period between August 2017 up until October 2018 (announcement of Production Team 1's RPG). I doubt all the new hires were for the Torna DLC. Couldn't be for Zelda either since the recruitment for that project went up in March 2019.

I'm sure the project has existed in some form, but whether it'll ever come to fruition or not...it's tough to say. I'm personally not 100% convinced that we're getting a new IP. It does seem like this guy has some idea of what's going on behind the scene at Monolith, so I would take his word for it.

On the bright side, this person also shared that XCDE is being worked by a small list of staff members. He said that he was given a much larger staff list for Takahashi's team. It's why I'm fully anticipating a new Xenoblade game in 2021, 4 full years after Xenoblade 2 (3 years if you count Torna).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how you came across this tweet chain lol

Anyway, we know from the Takahashi-Hashimoto interview that Monolith was working on/planning a fantasy action game back in late 2016. Also, the company went through an unusual growth period between August 2017 up until October 2018 (announcement of Production Team 1's RPG). I doubt all the new hires were for the Torna DLC. Couldn't be for Zelda either since the recruitment for that project went up in March 2019.

I'm sure the project has existed in some form, but whether it'll ever come to fruition or not...it's tough to say. I'm personally not 100% convinced that we're getting a new IP. It does seem like this guy has some idea of what's going on behind the scene at Monolith, so I would take his word for it.

On the bright side, this person also shared that XCDE is being worked by a small list of staff members. He said that he was given a much larger staff list for Takahashi's team. It's why I'm fully anticipating a new Xenoblade game in 2021, 4 full years after Xenoblade 2 (3 years if you count Torna).
He seemed to have information on Monolith Soft. He even said Honne said he put that out as recruitment art and it's not indicative of a new IP is coming.

Idk how this person has Monolith information, but it does make me think there is no new IP and it probably was another recruitment advertisement...which sucks. Had so much hope for a new IP. Of course it could still happen, but it's dampened. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition next year and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for 2021 is basically where I'm at.

I hope they get to make a new single player IP one day.

I wish he had proof that Honne said it's just recruitment art and not related to a new game.

Last edited:

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
He seemed to have information on Monolith Soft. He even said Honne said he put that out as recruitment art and it's not indicative of a new IP is coming.

Idk how this person has Monolith information, but it does make me think there is no new IP and it probably was another recruitment advertisement...which sucks. Had so much hope for a new IP. Of course it could still happen, but it's dampened. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition next year and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for 2021 is basically where I'm at.

I hope they get to make a new single player IP one day.

I have faith they will get to make a new IP someday. The company has gained so much support from fans and will continue to do so with the next Zelda and Xenoblade games.

Actually, I don't expect Xenoblade to last forever. It's probably in their best interest to create a new IP before Takahashi retires.

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
I'm getting a little worried about Monolith Soft's new IP actually being real. Someone on Twitter was telling me that wasn't concept art for a new IP and that it was just a basic recruitment for people to join Monolith kind of like the 3DS art they had years ago.

It just doesn't seem to make sense though when in the description they talk about "an ambitious project different from Monolith's brand". That seems clear cut and Zelda is a separate category still. If it was Zelda then they should've taken it down. It's hard to see it as a general recruitment page and would be disappointing if there's no new IP coming
Is there any proof at all that that person knows anything?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
God I always forget how good Super Metroid is, I just started it again the other day.

It truly does not need a remake but if we had to get one I'd say we could use a few QoL upgrades like a much more detailed map, and different buttons for the grapple beam/x-ray beam. Small things like that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how does it feel knowing that each OT has been made by a successively younger poster? pretty sure OT4 is gonna be by a five year old
how is that any worse than an OT that's not made by a human. time has passed by people so much that they haven't realized animals have thread-posting privileges

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
And is there proof that that stuff is in any way real?

There's no way to prove an insider's legitimacy. That goes for everyone including Zell, Emily, etc. (I trust these people btw). Based on the stuff that this person's shared, he seems to be legitimate. I'm of course cautious about him, but I'll fully trust him after I see the credits roll for XCDE.

IIRC, he hinted at MS being involved in a different project that he was excited for (not Xeno). He shared a picture of Ganondorf a few days/weeks prior to the announcement of BOTW2. Whether that's considered inside info, I can't say...

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to look for the next "impossible" port I think the best criteria to work with is:
  • Not from a major publisher
  • Western developer
  • PC focused game

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way to prove an insider's legitimacy. That goes for everyone including Zell, Emily, etc. (I trust these people btw). Based on the stuff that this person's shared, he seems to be legitimate. I'm of course cautious about him, but I'll fully trust him after I see the credits roll for XCDE.

IIRC, he hinted at MS being involved in a different project that he was excited for (not Xeno). He shared a picture of Ganondorf a few days/weeks prior to the announcement of BOTW2. Whether that's considered inside info, I can't say...
Before XenoblaDE was announced he was talking about wanting a Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster.

BBsnakes

May 9, 2019
There's no way to prove an insider's legitimacy. That goes for everyone including Zell, Emily, etc. (I trust these people btw). Based on the stuff that this person's shared, he seems to be legitimate. I'm of course cautious about him, but I'll fully trust him until I see the credits roll for XCDE.

We know people like zell and Emily are legitimate because the information they have shared has turned out to be true. I just don't understand why this person is being entertained as an insider when they've gotten nothing right before.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monolithsoft doing a true medieval, multiplayer RPG and it not being a new IP is also a possibility.

They can just slap the Xenoblade name on as they did with Monado.

It could even be a Soma Bringer re-imagining/sequel.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
We know people like zell and Emily are legitimate because the information they have shared has turned out to be true. I just don't understand why this person is being entertained as an insider when they've gotten nothing right before.

I never disclosed this person's Twitter account (nor did Dark Cloud). Especially with how brutal Era can be. How can you even question his legitimacy without even looking at his posts?

I don't fully trust him as of right now, but I also don't think he's making crap up like so many other people do. All I'm saying is that he's someone that might be worthwhile to watch for.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call any of that a "hint". Zelda is a given and that's well before the job postings went up. as for involvement in other projects, that's too vague given the studio's role since the acquisition

I still believe the medieval multiplayer game. the "hiring ad art" angle runs counter to all the times MS have made such art. there was even one that came out the same time, which I'm not sure is still viewable on the site

PyXGFUq.jpg

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call any of that a "hint". Zelda is a given and that's well before the job postings went up. as for involvement in other projects, that's too vague given the studio's role since the acquisition

I still believe the medieval multiplayer game. the "hiring ad art" angle runs counter to all the times MS have made such art. there was even one that came out the same time, which I'm not sure is still viewable on the site

PyXGFUq.jpg

Yeah, but no one anticipated a new Zelda at E3. It was a complete surprise.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Do we have any hints as to when the next Direct will be, or are we just assuming we'll get a January one as usual?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing about this possible Monolith new game was when they announced the recruitment in August 2017, they had 2 concept art + there was a 3rd one. I don't know if it was in that section or elsewhere.

it's this one. At the time we all knew (how did we know again? Lol) this was just for recruitment like the 3DS one. The other 2 we figured was for the new game (one with Zelda look alike and ruins with a Knight).

monolith-soft-3.jpg

This art is no longer on their website.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Can someone PM me who we are even talking about (seeing as people have mentioned they don't want to name drop them in the open)? I'm a bit lost here with all the discussion of a person's reliability when their name hasn't even been mentioned.

Edit: Thanks momo

Last edited:

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
How much can Monolith reasonably be working on at once? We know they're working on Xenoblade Definitive Edition, as well as assisting with BotW2. On top of that, it seems like they're developing Xenoblade 3, and some people seem to think they're also making a new IP. That's an awful lot on their plate. I wouldn't be surprised if that new IP doesn't come to fruition, or becomes part of Xenoblade 3 somehow.

It's finally time for that Murasame Castle sequel!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Is square going to finish releasing all their old games or is FF7-12 all we are getting? We are still missing the big ones ff6 and Chrono trigger, I'm really surprised they released secret of mana before Chrono
They're waiting on those 64GB cards for FFXIII Collection.

What I *really* want is M2 doing Collection of Gaia. And also ports of PSP/mobile FFT and Tactics Ogre.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Devil's advocate here: Nintendo has a couple big series with fantasy/medieval themes, including Zelda and Fire Emblem. Would Nintendo approve Monolith's new IP? What would set it apart from those series?

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
As we come to a close for 2019, do you think this year was better than 2017 for Switch (personally)?

It's tricky. This year had some awesome games, but I don't think any matched the quality of BoTW or Odyssey for me. So I'd give 2017 the slight edge from a personal standpoint.

That being said, 2019 was objectively great for the Switch. The volume and quality of first party games along with continued third party support was incredible.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
2019 had much more variety than 2017, and besides Odyssey, I'd say the games from this year were more enjoyable than that year, so yes, I'd say this was the best year yet.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As we come to a close for 2019, do you think this year was better than 2017 for Switch (personally)?

It's difficult to compare the two. I think 2017 was better in terms of the big hitters due to Breath of the Wild, Odyssey and Splatoon 2. But to me 2019 was "better" just because of the sheer variety of software from Nintendo, third-parties and indies.

Status
Not open for further replies.