• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I don't know how some people are getting it in their head that Nintendo's first quarter is "weak" this year. Again, I'll fully own up to being biased but Animal Crossing is a big deal. Some people like to act like it isn't a system seller just because it caters to different (still very large) demographic of the industry.

I understand if Animal Crossing isn't your thing but don't act like this year's starting off "weak" because you don't like AC but act like a year starting with Zelda is "strong" because Zelda IS your thing. Both are strong.

People expect too much.
Nintendo releases a game a month and it's still not enough. I get maybe if people said relative to later in the year it's weak but overall it's a pretty good first half of the year and we could still get a few more announcments.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean. Nintendo have had the exact same number of General Directs every year of the Switch's lifespan, even in the wake of the big, bad advent of the "Twitter Direct." I'd wait to make huge, sweeping generalizations about their marketing strategy until at least the second half of the year, preferably only after there hasn't been a first-quarter Direct, like there always is.
Of course there will be more Directs for now. I am just saying that I am personally identifying that rising trend of talking about specific games in tweets or dedicated Directs, that can be useful if Nintendo wants to sell a concrete product or wants to maintain the interest about it. I guess that making a general Direct is just more a gift for fans than anything else, because it will surely be more effective just to spread little bits of specific info through social media. Once again, just my ideas.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
You wrote "sure" but you did not read me or you did not understand me because I said that I was referring to general Directs and you replied that Nintendo still uses Directs for Pokémon. Bulletproof nonsense here.
lol what?
2018 we didn't get even a specialized direct until February, we get one even early this year an y'all go about "NINTENDO HAS ABANDONED US" unironically.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
People really need to chill, take a step back and get the heck out of this thread. Stop taking stuff so seriously.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Of course there will be more Directs for now. I am just saying that I am personally identifying that rising trend of talking about specific games in tweets or dedicated Directs, that can be useful if Nintendo wants to sell a concrete product or wants to maintain the interest about it. I guess that making a general Direct is just more a gift for fans than anything else, because it will surely be more effective just to spread little bits of specific info through social media. Once again, just my ideas.
I think they've just gotten better at using social media, personally - they realize that Directs tend to be places to make big announcements, so they've taken to using Twitter to sort out little tidbits and details that would otherwise ruin the pacing of a Direct, y'know?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think they've just gotten better at using social media, personally - they realize that Directs tend to be places to make big announcements, so they've taken to using Twitter to sort out little tidbits and details that would otherwise ruin the pacing of a Direct, y'know?
Yes, I see your point. We´ll see if they continue to use both methods indistinctly or not.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Yes, exactly. Why announce both streams separately? Hopefully we have a General Direct on the another dates posted on the DMC´s twitter (Jan 30th and Feb 13th).
We're bound to get one soon. I merely lost faith in it happening in January after being hopeful for this week and the previous one. But who knows what my hype levels will be at next week, hit me up again on the 21st lol.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Guys...I have something to tell you, so...

Nintendo asked me to be the 5th character fighter, I'm going to be announced tomorrtow.

Sorry to spoil it.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
That's still 1 big game in possibly half a year. No matter how big the game is, as a whole, you can understand why it qualifies for many as a weak quarter.

We don't know almost anything for past March period, so I would wait at least for Direct before saying that 1H is weak,
while Q1 with Animal Crossing cant be really a weak.

System seller?
I would have thought anyone who wants Animal Crossing already has a switch.. am I wrong? Does it have wider appeal than I realise?

Yes, system seller game.
Yes, you are wrong, like I wrote, Animal Crossing aims at quite different part of market than rest of Nintendo IPs,
for instance, at least half of Animal Crossing players are females.

Animal Crossing become one of strongest Nintendo IPs, for instance, on 3DS sold more than 12m,
only IPs that sold more than Animal Crossing on 3DS are Pokemon and Mario (Kart, 2D Mario, 3D Mario).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
This is such nonsense.

I believe it.

Final smash: "directly to you" beam

iwata-nd.png

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
It's always been the case, I believe in 2014 we got like 4 or 5 game specific directs.

Tomodachi life
Bayo 2
Smash
Hyrule Warriors

I think I might be missing one.......

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
We don't know almost anything for past March period, so I would wait at least for Direct before saying that 1H is weak,
while Q1 with Animal Crossing cant be really a weak.

I took care to always say "as of now". If Nintendo announces several games for H1 at their next direct, my perception will change. But having weak first halves of the year has been a staple recently for them, so it's reasonable to assume that most of the games will release from June onwards. I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Guess I'll be double dipping with TMS.
My first three months for Switch are looking like this:

-TMS
-Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
-Trails of Cold Steel III between Feb and March.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

-TMS
I'll only be getting Animal Crossing as a new release, but I'm 15 hours into Dragon Quest XI S and loving it. Plus, thanks to the pricing error, I picked up cheap download codes for Yoshi's Crafted World and What Remains of Edith Finch. They've gone into my backlog, which includes most of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Undertale, Golf Story, The Messenger, Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, and Sushi Striker. Also have the DK expansion for Mario + Rabbids and the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2.

Also I plan on doing Fire Emblem: Third Houses for the third time because I want to do the Blue Lions route.

Basically I need to suddenly become massively wealthy and retire.

Edit: I forgot I also have Dragon Quest 3 on Switch. My backlog is basically 90% indies and retro titles I've picked up when they're discounted.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that we may get an Animal Crossing Direct next week and then a General Direct in February.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019

-TMS

I'm picking up TMS for the first time on Friday! I'm so happy that I can finally play this game because I never had a Wii U. So far this is the only Wii U port that I'm really excited about. Other than that, I might pick up Rune Factory 4 Special at the end of February, but only if TMS doesn't take me as long to get through as I think it will. And if Wave 4 of the FE3H DLC somehow comes out before March 20, I'll definitely be starting another playthrough.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I'm picking up TMS for the first time on Friday! I'm so happy that I can finally play this game because I never had a Wii U. So far this is the only Wii U port that I'm really excited about. Other than that, I might pick up Rune Factory 4 Special at the end of February, but only if TMS doesn't take me as long to get through as I think it will. And if Wave 4 of the FE3H DLC somehow comes out before March 20, I'll definitely be starting another playthrough.
Yeah, I have a feeling wave 4 will hit at the end of March

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
My obsessive Animal Crossing thoughts have driven me to believe that Nintendo is waiting for Tokyo Mirage Sessions to be out to market AC more. Maybe they don't want AC to overshadow TMS too close to release? Maybe we just need to wait until TMS' marketing is done (lol) and then we can gorge ourselves on New Horizons details.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

-TMS
If I had an unlimited budget, TMS, Fairy Tail and One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 would all be mine. But as I do and I also have a backlog it's likely just Fairy Tail for now. If I can crush some of my backlog I may grab tms but there's no preorder bonuses so no rush

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Ummm.... I'll get:

TMS
Megaman Zero collection
Maybe Samurai Shodown
Fairy Tale
Trail of Cold Steel 3
And Animal Crossing

Btw, I got DMC 1 as a gift a couple days ago.....do we really get a discount for DMC 3 if I already have a DMC game?

Status
Not open for further replies.