• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Okay let's play a game :)

Reorder the following six announcements in the six coming weeks (week 21-26):

- Pikmin 3 DX
- Super Mario 3D World DX
- Pokémon DLC
- Smash DLC
- Super Mario All Stars
- Paper Mario #2 trailer

W21: Super Mario 3D World DX + Super Mario All Stars
W22: nothing
W23: Pokémon DLC
W24: Smash DLC + Paper Mario #2 Trailer
W25: Pikmin 3 DX
W26: nothing

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
"general nintendo discussion", something like that
it would also be a good idea to move back to the first party thread, that one is very inactive these days.
I think the first party thread is meant to be more serious and focused on internal structure, like position listings and studio reorganizations. It's lean by design.

but you're right in that we could really just shut these down and head to the hangouts tbh

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the original report suggested that Nintendo wouldn't have a direct in June and was telling partners to go ahead without them, but left the door open to the June direct simply being delayed and still being on the drawing board and happening at some point later. The new report is that Nintendo is not planning a direct at all at this time; the summer direct is scrapped entirely.

The first one said that there would not be a Direct until very late summer at the earliest, i.e. September. I'm not sure how exactly this is any different, both of these reports suggest they scrapped any plans for a June direct.

It'shappening.jpg?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
And it would make no sense. Directs still do really well, and in most cases, are more effective than twitter drops, which are good for some announcements, but not all. So there's no reason for Nintendo to cancel Directs permanently.
Don´t you think that it may be some work in coordinate different reveals from third parties, prepare and edit trailers, put the video together, prepare screenshots, press notes, etc.? All for the same day. This work might not be worth it in the end when they can announce the games separetely, and have even a bigger impact benefiting that title in particular.

Of course theres a part of personal bet in here. I keep my bet, of course.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Alright guys, it's official: we need to brainstorm a new thread title.

I like "Nintendo Communications Speculation," or "Nintendo Announcement Speculation." We could alternatively finally migrate to one of the Nintendo hangouts.

We should probably have a poll, but I personally think having a Direct thread is at this point a foolish charade.
"General Nintendo Twitter Announcements Guesstimation: Place Your Bets Edition"

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Don´t you think that it may be some work in coordinate different reveals from third parties, prepare and trailers, put the video together, prepare screenshots, press notes, etc.? All for the same day. This work might not be worth it in the end when they can announce the games separetely, and have even a bigger impact benefiting that title in particular.

Yes, it's a lot of work. But the results speak for themselves. Twitter drops are only good in specific circumstances, but Directs are far better for bigger or new announcements. I still don't buy your theory that Directs are a thing of the past.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Alright guys, it's official: we need to brainstorm a new thread title.

I like "Nintendo Communications Speculation," or "Nintendo Announcement Speculation." We could alternatively finally migrate to one of the Nintendo hangouts.

We should probably have a poll, but I personally think having a Direct thread is at this point a foolish charade.
I would call it just "Pictochat" :)

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Don´t you think that it may be some work in coordinate different reveals from third parties, prepare and edit trailers, put the video together, prepare screenshots, press notes, etc.? All for the same day. This work might not be worth it in the end when they can announce the games separetely, and have even a bigger impact benefiting that title in particular.

Of course theres a part of personal bet in here. I keep my bet, of course.
Directs still let smaller titles get exposure. Nintendo isn't going to get 4 million YouTube views by shadowdropping a trailer for Snipperclips 2.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yes, it's a lot of work. But the results speak for themselves. Twitter drops are only good in specific circumstances, but Directs are far better for bigger or new announcements. I still don't buy your theory that Directs are a thing of the past.
Of course they speak, look at the number of views of the Paper Mario trailer lmao

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Okay let's play a game :)

Reorder the following six announcements in the six coming weeks (week 21-26):

- Pikmin 3 DX
- Super Mario 3D World DX
- Pokémon DLC
- Smash DLC
- Super Mario All Stars
- Paper Mario #2 trailer

W21: Super Mario 3D World DX + Super Mario All Stars
W22: nothing
W23: Pokémon DLC
W24: Smash DLC + Paper Mario #2 Trailer
W25: Pikmin 3 DX
W26: nothing

W21: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
W22: Nothing
W23: Smash DLC
W24: "Good year to be a plumber" (RIP E3) (All-Stars/SM3DW/PMTOK#2)
W25: Nothing
W26: Pokemon DLC

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but there isn't much reason for this to be the norm. Like imagine how much of an even bigger impact this would have if it was part of a Direct?

How much bigger do you think it would've been? I'm honestly curious, because so far the metrics for this are much bigger than I would've ever expected.

In fact a Direct may have had bigger announcements overshadowing PMTOK.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The plot twist is that Jeff's source is a third party company that wasn't invited to the Direct to begin with

"Hey Nintendo. How's it going? Excited about that Direct. Got some great ports we want to show off"
"Uhhhh...how did you get this number? It turns out we are not having a Direct this summer.....sorry"
"Oh. That's a shame. Must be because of that COVID"
"Yes....COVID. That's it. Hard to get things done you know. Reggie is unfortunately sick"
"I thought Reggie left a year ago"
"I mean Reggie from accounting. Yes, he's sick. From COVID. That's why there's no Direct"
"Dang. Well next time. At least I got something to show off with Sony"

"Hey my man Sony. Excited about that PS5 presentation in June."
"How did you get this number?"

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I think Paper Mario may have benefited from the drought of news, but so many smaller titles may suffer from a lack of Directs: they bring attention to things that otherwise may go missed.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The plot twist is that Jeff's source is a third party company that wasn't invited to the Direct to begin with

"Hey Nintendo. How's it going? Excited about that Direct. Got some great ports we want to show off"
"Uhhhh...how did you get this number? It turns out we are not having a Direct this summer.....sorry"
"Oh. That's a shame. Must be because of that COVID"
"Yes....COVID. That's it. Hard to get things done you know. Reggie is unfortunately sick"
"I thought Reggie left a year ago"
"I mean Reggie from accounting. Yes, he's sick. From COVID. That's why there's no Direct"
"Dang. Well next time. At least I got something to show off with Sony"

"Hey my man Sony. Excited about that PS5 presentation in June."
"How did you get this number?"
"Doesn't matter how I got it, I have some games I wanna show off!"

"Sorry! We're already packed full. Filled to the brim."

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The point is, a Direct is way easier to coordinate multiple announcements and news in one presentation. It requires more work, but its a better format in the long run.
Dude look, I am a Nintendo fan like you and I love their games so I tell you this honestly as a piece of advice: don´t hold on too much on Directs. So take it or leave it. Things are continuously changing.

Directs still let smaller titles get exposure. Nintendo isn't going to get 4 million YouTube views by shadowdropping a trailer for Snipperclips 2.
Of course, I am not going to deny that appearing in a Nintendo video is an amazing chance for exposure for indie titles. My point of view is regarding general Directs.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Dude look, I am a Nintendo fan like you and I love their games so I tell you this honestly as a piece of advice: don´t hold on too much on Directs. So take it or leave it. Things are continuously changing.

Of course, I am not going to deny that appearing in a Nintendo video is an amazing chance for exposure for indie titles. My point of view is regarding general Directs.

There's just not a good reason for Nintendo to abandon traditional Directs permanently when they still do insanely well.

Christo750

May 10, 2018

I'm sorry, this is nonsense. So long as Nintendo pursues third party games and has the desire to give them a platform, there will always be Directs. There is only a delay in Directs now due to the current situation. They don't just give Nintendo a venue to promote their own games (as we can see, the Twitter reveal of Paper Mario has done really well and yet I also think this is situational), but they give third parties a chance to shine under the Nintendo umbrella.

100% possible there's another one this year.

...that is really weird.

Last edited:

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Guys I got it.... there will be no Nintendo Direct... Because they are going to introduce something new, a new format.. Nintendo Live! ... one can wish 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
If you can obtain the same or better results with way less effort, do you adopt the new method or do you keep doing things the old way to please fans?
But there's not much evidence outside of Paper Mario to suggest that Twitter is the way forward. Plus, this is Nintendo, so I think they would prefer to continue having Directs if they could rather than fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Paper Mario may have benefited from the drought of news, but so many smaller titles may suffer from a lack of Directs: they bring attention to things that otherwise may go missed.

Yeah, very true. Medium sized announcements like PMTOK night actually be better outside of Directs in terms of generating hype, but it's the smaller games especially from Indies and the smaller third parties that really benefit hugely from Directs.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
But there's not much evidence outside of Paper Mario to suggest that Twitter is the way forward. Plus, this is Nintendo, so I think they would prefer to continue having Directs if they could rather than fixing something that wasn't broken to begin with.
Ring Fit Adventure is another example. It is not a matter of changing for the worse, it is a matter of optimising.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
BB49180-C-E487-4079-9836-0775366-A3-D7-D.jpg

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The point is, a Direct is way easier to coordinate multiple announcements and news in one presentation. It requires more work, but its a better format in the long run.
Yeah the direct format is much better overall because of the insane amount of hype they get that leads to exposure of third party titles and smaller titles that would otherwise not get noticed. The bigger titles serve as a main course to the appetizers they show at those directs. It's a very successful format.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I kinda feel like the Nintendo first party thread is redundant. Although that thread is focused on the first party software. This is really a general Nintendo discussion, talking about hardware, their history, their development partners, and third party titles as well as first party software.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
W21: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
W22: Nothing
W23: Smash DLC
W24: "Good year to be a plumber" (RIP E3) (All-Stars/SM3DW/PMTOK#2)
W25: Nothing
W26: Pokemon DLC

I'm not too confident we'll be seeing all of this in the next 6 weeks, but if I had to take a stab at arranging the order of these announcements, this would be my exact list too.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I'm not too confident we'll be seeing all of this in the next 6 weeks, but if I had to take a stab at arranging the order of these announcements, this would be my exact list too.
It'll depend on release timing. Smash DLC and Pokemon Expansion Pack 1 are the next expected releases, if nothing has impacted their June window.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
It'll depend on release timing. Smash DLC and Pokemon Expansion Pack 1 are the next expected releases, if nothing has impacted their June window.
Yeah, I was curious if Smash or Pokemon had been affected. I guess time will tell. Even if they're still on track for releases in June, does that necessarily mean they have to be shown first? Couldn't the Arms character just be revealed and shadowdropped? Same with Poke DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.