• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We need to make the meme a reality.

But seriously all this interest (read: Nintendo power podcast and a throwaway line in AC's localization) in StarTropics has me wondering if someone at NoA is trying to make a push for it to come back.

That's tied for my most wanted Nintendo franchise revival with Eternal Darkness.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least StarTropics should get some kind of fucking Japanese release lmao

We've gotten shit like Panel de Pon (without Yoshi) and Mysterious Murasame Castle over here, and Japan also got once western exclusive games like Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters. I don't know why the idea of giving ST some exposure in their home country is some completely taboo thing to Nintendo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't wait for third person shooter star fox with an explorable great fox and worlds which is totally coming out in 2020

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Elite Beat Agents was so fucking good and we're being punished because none of you bought it.

Not only I bought EBA, I also imported both Ouendan games! I probably had played that "Ore Ore" song about for 1 million times. The one with three engineers building a giant mecha to fight with a giant cat. They play checkers instead.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least StarTropics should get some kind of fucking Japanese release lmao

We've gotten shit like Panel de Pon (without Yoshi) and Mysterious Murasame Castle over here, and Japan also got once western exclusive games like Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters. I don't know why the idea of giving ST some exposure in their home country is some completely taboo thing to Nintendo.

Miyamoto doesn't want his co-workers at NCL to know Takeda made a better Zelda game than he did.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm not sure if iNiS exist anymore. They disappeared after doing Lips and Black Eyed Peas for Kinect.

But if Ouendan is specifically you're looking for, I recommend Hatsune Miku on Switch. It does not have touch controls but buttons are not that bad. And it has 100 songs.
I'm taking a long hard look at it. Seems like a pretty great value for someone who has never touched the series before like me

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
But seriously all this interest (read: Nintendo power podcast and a throwaway line in AC's localization) in StarTropics has me wondering if someone at NoA is trying to make a push for it to come back.

That's tied for my most wanted Nintendo franchise revival with Eternal Darkness.

Just thinking about how Nintendo might see the franchise - what does StarTropics bring to the table that isn't already accomplished by Zelda? I've never played StarTropics but I read a lot about it being "like Zelda." That seems to be a common theme in some interviews: not making redundant products, both within Nintendo's suite of games, and the industry as a whole.

Then again, it's not like they've never done it before. Star Fox Adventures overlapped with the Zelda formula, and DK64 wasn't too distant from Banjo.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Then again, it's not like they've never done it before. Star Fox Adventures overlapped with the Zelda formula, and DK64 wasn't too distant from Banjo.

And even that was really more just the result of Nintendo letting their then-golden boy Rare do whatever they want.

I guess it can be said that StarTropics has a more western oriented vibe, which distinguishes it a bit from Zelda and its somewhat "anime" aesthetic. I guess there could be appeal in that.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, Nate... we have a game

I want neither. Nintendo has a truckload of IPs I'd rather get before a new Nintendo Land or Switch Sports.

Give me F-Zero, Earthbound, Metroid, Star Tropics, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Endless Ocean, Mario Strikers, Another Code, Pandora's Tower, Wave Race, Elite Beat Agents, Pokemon Snap, Golden Sun, Mario Golf, Fatal Frame, Eternal Darkness, 1080°, Rhythm Heaven, Punch Out, Advance Wars, Odama Wario Land (or Ware), Jump Superstar, Trace Memory, Dillon's Rolling Western, Tomodachi Life, Excite (Bike, Truck...), Hotel Dusk, Soma Bringer, Geist, Pilot Wings, Sin and Punishment, Codename STEAM, Ever Oasis, The Last Story, Meteos....

Or a new IP from Retro.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking about how Nintendo might see the franchise - what does StarTropics bring to the table that isn't already accomplished by Zelda? I've never played StarTropics but I read a lot about it being "like Zelda." That seems to be a common theme in some interviews: not making redundant products, both within Nintendo's suite of games, and the industry as a whole.

Despite my joke in my previous post it's actually not like Zelda at all beyond the fact that they're both adventure games. It's a lot more story based and has a heavy focus on platforming, almost to a level of being a puzzle platformer at times.

One thing this game brings to the table is that it's set in the real world. And it has a tropical explorer/archaeology setting that's pretty different from anything else Nintendo has.

Gameplay wise it's hard to really modernize, at least conceptually. So it might need to go in a completely different direction than the originals did. Maybe they could lean into the baseball aspect a lot more?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Just thinking about how Nintendo might see the franchise - what does StarTropics bring to the table that isn't already accomplished by Zelda?
550c6c83-ac7c-4005-br1kla.jpeg

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London

Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

Edit - I agree with (I think it was skittzo0413) who said that Startropics is better than the original Zelda, I was actually shocked that there was a fucking NES game that I was actually willing to play through to the end and thoroughly enjoy. I sincerely hope it returns one day.

(Idk if i'd been able to do it without the rewind feature tho, that final level, yeesh).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Gameplay-wise, I wouldn't expect any StarTropics reboot to be necessarily be all that similar to the NES games. It can grow in a different direction than Zelda.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London

Because they'd probably make it into a sci-fi action RPG or an action platformer or some other unrepresented Nintendo genre (FPS anyone?).

Honestly, I wonder if it's the miracle that Note guy was referencing, it wouldn't shock me if the young and plucky Splatoon team want a crack at it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

Edit - I agree with (I think it was skittzo0413) who said that Startropics is better than the original Zelda, I was actually shocked that there was a fucking NES game that I was actually willing to play through to the end and thoroughly enjoy. I sincerely hope it returns one day.

(Idk if i'd been able to do it without the rewind feature tho, that final level, yeesh).

Even though it did have some tough levels it really wasn't punishing at all, which was very nice back in the day. If you run out of lives you just start that level over again.

But yeah it had the right combination of gameplay progression, story and overall variety that Zelda never really had. It's a little surprising that it was so overlooked and that it still to this day hasn't released in Japan.

Yeah can we get the Direct out of the thread title now? It's genuinely not relevant anymore.

I mean I'm willing to bet there will absolutely still be another Direct this year, even if we aren't getting one any time soon. It's not like Directs are dead.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
I wonder if there has ever been considerations to port/remaster previous Mario Kart games, and if not, then why. I know the gameplay is pretty consistent between each so some people may not see it as warranted, but at least from a business perspective with how much Mario Kart sells, it seems like a smart decision to me. Maybe it's not worth it to do just one entry and wouldn't be much interest for it as a full priced game, but seeing as they're already doing the 3D collection, I feel like there would be interest in a Kart collection too. Throw in 64, Double Dash and Wii, with online support, and I know for me at least that would be an insta buy. Especially as Switch is yet to get an original MK entry, perhaps this would tide the fans, and reignite interest for those who are bored of 8, until 9? Just a thought.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I wonder if there has ever been considerations to port/remaster previous Mario Kart games, and if not, then why. I know the gameplay is pretty consistent between each so some people may not see it as warranted, but at least from a business perspective with how much Mario Kart sells, it seems like a smart decision to me. Maybe it's not worth it to do just one entry and wouldn't be much interest for it as a full priced game, but seeing as they're already doing the 3D collection, I feel like there would be interest in a Kart collection too. Throw in 64, Double Dash and Wii, with online support, and I know for me at least that would be an insta buy. Especially as Switch is yet to get an original MK entry, perhaps this would tide the fans, and reignite interest for those who are bored of 8, until 9? Just a thought.

As far as I'm concerned, they'll literally NEVER remake any old Smash Brothers, Animal Crossings or Mario Karts because they're very iterative and remakes of the old games could undermine the modern ones, particularly online. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Kart 64 doesn't make NSO at all.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I think Nintendo just really doesn't want overlap on their evergreen multiplayer titles. Even in genre. Smash is their ONLY fighting game, Mario Kart is their ONLY racer, Splatoon is their ONLY arena shooter, etc. They'll put them on Virtual Console/NSO but to sell as a retail product runs counter to "this is THE Mario Kart of the generation, if you want Mario Kart on Switch, play this."

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Rightfully so imo, you don't want a COD scenario where there's like 8 different games splitting the user base.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I think Nintendo just really doesn't want overlap on their evergreen multiplayer titles. Even in genre. Smash is their ONLY fighting game, Mario Kart is their ONLY racer, Splatoon is their ONLY arena shooter, etc. They'll put them on Virtual Console/NSO but to sell as a retail product runs counter to "this is THE Mario Kart of the generation, if you want Mario Kart on Switch, play this."

They can be in the same genre. But I feel Nintendo's stance is that they need to distinguish themselves from any current IP in a meaningful way. ARMS, despite being a Fighting game like Smash, plays nothing like Smash Bros.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'll admit I forgot about ARMS (lol) but yeah it's a 3D arena fighter vs. a 2D platform fighter, very different.

I still think part of the reason F-Zero stays dead though is Nintendo looks at Mario Kart and thinks "eh, good enough."

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a joke. Star Tropics is legitimately good. It's set in a real world. You go across islands. There's more story and characters (remember we're talking NES). I would love to see it translated into 3D.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I'll admit I forgot about ARMS (lol) but yeah it's a 3D arena fighter vs. a 2D platform fighter, very different.

I still think part of the reason F-Zero stays dead though is Nintendo looks at Mario Kart and thinks "eh, good enough."

The reason given was that they couldn't come up with anything new for the series, especially something to distinguish itself from Mario Kart.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a joke. Star Tropics is legitimately good. It's set in a real world. You go across islands. There's more story and characters (remember we're talking NES). I would love to see it translated into 3D.

Ugh all this StarTropics talk is getting me hopeful, don't get me hopeful. Quick Nate, come tell us that it's not one of the miracles and that it'll never happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay let's play a game :)

Reorder the following six announcements in the six coming weeks (week 21-26):

- Pikmin 3 DX
- Super Mario 3D World DX
- Pokémon DLC
- Smash DLC
- Super Mario All Stars
- Paper Mario #2 trailer

W21: Super Mario 3D World DX + Super Mario All Stars
W22: nothing
W23: Pokémon DLC
W24: Smash DLC + Paper Mario #2 Trailer
W25: Pikmin 3 DX
W26: nothing
W21 Nothing
W22 Pikmin 3 DX
W23 Nothing
W24 Smash DLC
W25 PokemonDLC
W26 Nothing
W27 3DWorld & 3D AllStars

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The other day I looked up sales for Bowser's Inside Story 3DS and was shocked how badly it flopped. The original was the best selling Mario RPG and the remake was one of the worst selling Mario games ever. Poor Alphadream. :/
It's really not too surprising. I would love to see how many 3DS games released 2018 and beyond sold even 250k copies. I'd be shocked if it were more than a handful. Hell, in 2017 only three of the top selling 3DS games actually released that year. The market shift once Switch released was insane.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
One thing that does bug me about some people here is that they seem to think the Switch (2018 and 2019 in particular) still had typical Nintendo software droughts like the past. Are you people even playing the same console? Sure 2020's a bit questionable, but that's only because of a pandemic complicating matters. 2019 was the furthest thing from a drought, especially on Nintendo's side. Yeah, it took a while for the bigger stuff to come out but there wasn't any part of that year where there was nothing to play.

Even 2018 still plenty of solid content despite being more port heavy. So it annoys me that some still think even when Nintendo is putting out lots of games, that's still not good enough. There is no drought, the sooner people realize that the better. If you still think Nintendo hasn't gotten away from droughts, you clearly have not owned a Wii U my friend.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
One thing that does bug me about some people here is that they seem to think the Switch (2018 and 2019 in particular) still had typical Nintendo software droughts like the past. Are you people even playing the same console? Sure 2020's a bit questionable, but that's only because of a pandemic complicating matters. 2019 was the furthest thing from a drought, especially on Nintendo's side. Yeah, it took a while for the bigger stuff to come out but there wasn't any part of that year where there was nothing to play.

Even 2018 still plenty of solid content despite being more port heavy. So it annoys me that some still think even when Nintendo is putting out lots of games, that's still not good enough. There is no drought, the sooner people realize that the better.

Was anyone really arguing 2019 was a software drought? I think it's generally regarded as a very stacked year.

I still think 2018 should have had NSMBU in the middle of the year as a heavy hitter, instead of saving it for 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.