AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Switch folks, BUY GUACAMELEE 2!!!!!

May try it again on the switch. Loved the first one and bought the second one on steam when it released but returned it 10 minutes in because I could not get past the meme\reference humor...sucks to see that they didn't tone it down this time around.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna miss Smash because this month's game budget is going to my Secret Santa.

Thinking of getting a cheap under 10 dollar game though, any ideas? Not a fan of shoot em ups tho

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Excellent! I found the blue sphere ones tough as it is and only found one of the other 3D levels lol. Kinda skimmed over the game!

But may sink deeper into it now. Are the new stages all remixes of the original games levels?

Did I miss any levels in the first version?

All zones in Encore Mode have altered color palettes and new level layouts based on the original zones in standard Mania (except for Egg Reverie Zone), and there's one very brief "new" zone at the start of Encore that I won't spoil. There's also a new pinball bonus game you can access from Star Post checkpoints, and as mentioned before there are much harder versions of the UFO Special Stages whose Giant Rings are much more well-hidden within the zones compared to standard Mania. Bosses have tweaked difficulty too and sometimes need to be approached differently depending on which of the two characters you're in control of when you battle them. And speaking of which, that's probably the biggest shake-up of Encore: the party system which lets you cycle between the five characters, allowing access to areas for some that others can't reach. It's a more strategic approach to classic Sonic gameplay that I really appreciate.

As for the question of if you've missed any zones in a vanilla Mania playthrough, there aren't any branching paths between Green Hill and Egg Reverie playing as Sonic/Tails, but there's a cool secret final boss you can fight if you've collected all the Chaos Emeralds. Also, playing as Knuckles grants you access to an entirely different Mirage Saloon Act 1 and Lava Reef "Act 3", both with their own boss fights that differ from a Sonic/Tails run.

So here's the whole series (kind of). The numbering makes things confusing.

Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (this is the Master System version. The TG16 version is just called Dragon's Curse and has different (cooler, IMO) graphics. I'd still recommend the Switch remake over the VC releases though.)
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Monster World IV

Wonder Boy 1 is rather unremarkable, and if you've played Adventure Island, you've basically already played it. If you aren't aware, Wonder Boy 1 basically spawned two separate series -- the Wonder Boy series and the Adventure Island series. Here's a fun fact: the TG16 version of The Dragon's Trap (AKA Dragon's Curse) was called Adventure Island in Japan. Makes things even more confusing.

Monster Land is probably the most divisive among modern players but I personally loved it. It plays like a simplified version of Monster World but with a rather strict timer in order to keep the arcade pace. It's challenging but beatable.

Monster Lair is perhaps the blackest sheep in a series full of black sheep. It's a horizontal cute-em-up with an absolutely killer Turbo CD soundtrack. Seriously, just listen to this:

The game is fun but nothing particularly remarkable outside the soundtrack (the arcade version soundtrack isn't nearly as good, but the version on VC is the TCD version thankfully), and if you're a shmup fan you'll probably find it wanting.

The Dragon's Trap is by far the most popular game in the series. It's a very tightly designed metroidvania, though that term isn't quite accurate (Tangent: Dragon's Trap is one of three games that I consider to be forerunners to three separate 2D exploration genres, the others being Metroid and Maze of Galious). While Dragon's Trap isn't my favorite game in the series, it's probably the best game overall and well worth playing. It's a metroidvania with no chaff and a quick pace.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is just a great 2D platformer with some lite metroidvania and RPG elements. Doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves.

Monster World IV is another fan favorite and is very clearly the inspiration for the Shantae series. Personally, I enjoyed the game enough to beat it but it was probably my least favorite in the series after Wonder Boy 1. The hub town is cool, the spritework is charming, and the soundtrack is good, but the levels just aren't very fun.

I recognize that Wii Shop points are a precious commodity now that you can't add anymore. With that in mind, I would say Monster Land and Monster World are the games really worth playing, but maybe look up gameplay of Land to see if it's up your alley. It's the most arcadey of the bunch. Even more than Wonder Boy 1. And then get The Dragon's Trap on Switch if you haven't played it already.

What I probably love most about this series is that every game is extremely different from the last. Only in the Adventure Island branch do the games all play similarly.

Fantastic write-up, thanks! :)

OH SNAP.

SEGA Genesis Collection, Smash, and now this, all at once.

SEND HELP.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
May try it again on the switch. Loved the first one and bought the second one on steam when it released but returned it 10 minutes in because I could not get past the meme\reference humor...sucks to see that they didn't tone it down this time around.
There's a whole sequence about people who complained about memes/references in the first game. They toned it down in this one but it is still pretty bad.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
A friend of mine bought Horizon Chase Turbo and that game really surprised me. It is vastly more fun than it looks considering the trailer. From the looks of that I thought it was an overpriced mobile port. But the game is legit. It is rich with content and it's just incredibly fun to race against friends. However, the 4-Player-Splitcreen could use a performance patch. Stutter and framerate drops are quite common. I hope the developer can address that.

Nice, how is it STRICTLY for single player though? Enough to do?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There's a whole sequence about people who complained about memes/references in the first game. They toned it down in this one but it is still pretty bad.

I really dont get these takes. The jokes are sensiblechuckle.gif at best, completely ignorable at worst. At least the humor isnt ridiculously overbearing like Bulletstorm or something.

I did. Now I just hope I have time to play it this year :p

Yeah I felt the same. Luckily it's not super long, so I was able to fit it in between Shenmue and Spider-Man

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Guac2 is a great companion to Smash. The main character's moveset maps perfectly to Smash inputs. Great game, get it y'all!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, how is it STRICTLY for single player though? Enough to do?

I have only played Horizon Chase Turbo single player yet. It has lots and lots of content to unlock! Int the World Tour mode (which is what I have played), there are 10 "worlds" (countries), each world has 4 cities, each city has 1-3 tracks.

BTW, my first impression of the game was the same as the previous poster. Basically: "looks like a mobile game". But it's definitely a console game. It has super tight stick controls, great use of HD Rumble for different things that happens to the car, multiplayer support, and so on.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I really dont get these takes. The jokes are sensiblechuckle.gif at best, completely ignorable at worst. At least the humor isnt ridiculously overbearing like Bulletstorm or something.

Yeah I felt the same. Luckily it's not super long, so I was able to fit it in between Shenmue and Spider-Man

I think those types of jokes feel somewhat, or often can, not within the atmosphere of the game, versus drawing one towards the reality or tone they're creating in their game world. It ruins immersion, for the "benefit" of a cheap topical/referential joke, and in this case, people that simply criticized a product. Which last I checked, should be what a discerning customer is allowed to do, sans being reprimanded publicly without permission. Legal, I guess? Tactless, I'd say so.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
No midnight launch for the mega drive collection? 😔

And Diablo 3 33% off on the EU eshop! Not sure if it's a game for me but that price is sure tempting.

Last edited:

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know where I can get the Hori Joycon with d-pad in the UK? I've looked and don't see it anywhere! Amazon only have the Mario/Pokémon/Zelda ones, are these the same? I'd prefer it to have no logos etc.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
No midnight launch for the mega drive collection? 😔

And Diablo 3 33% off on the EU eshop! Not sure if it's a game for me but that price is sure tempting.

Wow, that's totally unexpected. Only a month after launch too!

Will be interesting to see if they bring the discount over to the US, or maybe sales were lagging in Europe and this is only meant for that region. It's especially surprising since that shiny new Diablo Switch bundle just released and now this steep eShop discount devalues it somewhat...

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

I think it just caught me on a bad day. It's just tacky, effortless humor...I can usually look past it or ignore it but Guacamelee lays it on so so so thick sometimes. The first game feels dated just because of it. It's liek the video game version of:

D1FXYYAbNHS54JPShxrAmy3WmrpTwbyV6YPT9dY7GHQ.jpg

Ill still check out Guac 2 at some point as the gameplay is great.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Got a Switch this week. My first Nintendo console ever, Zelda BOTW as my first Nintendo game (along with Bomb Chicken)

Not really feeling playing undocked, screen feels too small for that after gaming on an iPad for the last five years and the Joycon aren't particularly comfortable holding the Switch tablet like that.

But in terms of UI design, it's really nice, much more streamlined than PS4. Console is small too, much smaller than I expected.

BOTW is pretty fantastic so far. Just reached Hateno.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this had been announced but Japan is apparently getting a re-release of Heavenly Guardian, which was on the Wii and PS2.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I love Guacamelee but the memes in it already made it feel dated as soon as it came out.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this had been announced but Japan is apparently getting a re-release of Heavenly Guardian, which was on the Wii and PS2.
The game that's basically Pocky & Rocky 3 but had to have its name changed due to legal issues? Huh, cool. Maybe I'll finally get to check it out.

I really want to go back & check out the original SNES games, but the GBA port that was put on Wii U VC isn't as good compared to the original from what I've heard.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Another excellent month! I'm doing my best to keep from overloading my backlog so I'm unfortunately going to have to skip a lot of this, but MAN it's going to be tough.

My co-host has been playing Gris for review though and LOVING it!

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Got a Switch this week. My first Nintendo console ever, Zelda BOTW as my first Nintendo game (along with Bomb Chicken)

Not really feeling playing undocked, screen feels too small for that after gaming on an iPad for the last five years and the Joycon aren't particularly comfortable holding the Switch tablet like that.

But in terms of UI design, it's really nice, much more streamlined than PS4. Console is small too, much smaller than I expected.

BOTW is pretty fantastic so far. Just reached Hateno.

Welcome aboard!

Be sure to Register all your physical carts for discounts off the eshop!

Also, some users have created multiple Switch accts. to download & purchase games from their perspective global eshops. Something to consider!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's totally unexpected. Only a month after launch too!

Will be interesting to see if they bring the discount over to the US, or maybe sales were lagging in Europe and this is only meant for that region. It's especially surprising since that shiny new Diablo Switch bundle just released and now this steep eShop discount devalues it somewhat...

Diablo 3 is a game that I think would sell much better in the US than in EU, so EU sale at this point wouldn't be that surprising IMO. I saw Diablo 3 retail getting a good discount on Black Friday here in Europe.
(And the opposite: I would expect FIFA to sell better in EU than in the US.)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Any other day I would've put money down for Diablo 3. But my money is reserved for SSBU. I wonder if this is Blizzard conducting a social experiment to see how well a new and discounted AAA game can do against a major first party launch.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
NA:

• Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Gaming icons clash in the ultimate brawl you can play anytime, anywhere! Smash rivals off the stage as newcomers like Simon Belmont and King K. Rool join Inkling, Ridley and every fighter in Super Smash Bros. history. Enjoy enhanced speed and combat on new stages based on the Castlevania series, the Super Mario Odyssey game and dozens of other video game franchises. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be available Dec. 7.
    • Fortnite Season 7Fortnite Season 7 has arrived on the Nintendo Switch system with the smash of a mysterious iceberg. Winter has brought many changes to the Fortnite map for you to explore. Ziplines are a new way to help you travel to and from high terrain. For you seekers of chills and thrills, the new Frosty Flights location and Expedition outposts are outfitted with the new Stormwing planes so you can take to the skies. There are tons of new areas to venture to and secrets to uncover, so stay frosty.
    • Katamari Damacy REROLL – The stop-at-nothing pushing prince is back and ready to reroll. When the King of All Cosmos accidentally destroys all the stars in the sky, he orders you, his pint-sized princely son, to put the twinkle back in the heavens above. Join the King and Prince of Cosmos on their wacky adventure to restore the stars at home or on the go. The Katamari Damacy REROLL full game and demo versions will be available on Dec. 7.
    • Carcassonne – Make your kingdom come alive with meeples, tiles and tactics. Draw and place your tiles to build your medieval city. Cities, roads, monasteries and fields will help you enlarge your landscape, where you can place your followers, the meeples. Whether they are knights, robbers or farmers, each meeple will help you control your territory and win points.
    • Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online – Three games are coming to the service* on Dec. 12, including:
      • Adventures of Lolo – After the love of his life, Lala, is kidnapped by the devilish King Egger and taken to his haunted castle, our hero, Lolo, sets out to rescue her. The journey is perilous, as the Great Devil's fortress is guarded by a massive army. But Lolo has a few tricks up his sleeve. Combining clever environmental puzzles with tricky enemies and an engaging style, Adventures of Lolo is a true classic.
      • Ninja Gaiden – Take on the role of Ryu Hayabusa, a rising ninja in his family's clan who travels to America to seek vengeance for his father's death. Fight your way through six challenging side-scrolling chapters/14 stages (not including boss battles) while defeating gangs of street thugs, battling evil ninjas and fighting barbarian bosses by using the deadly Dragon Sword, ninja skills and ninja magic.
      • Wario's Woods – Control Toad as he scrambles along the bottom of the screen picking up monsters and bombs and arranging them vertically, horizontally and diagonally to clear the screen of enemies. This game features several modes of play, such as basic, lesson and time race. If you like puzzle games like Dr. Mario, you will definitely love this one!

Nintendo eShop sales:

Activities:
  • Celebrate the Launch of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Game with My Nintendo Rewards – In honor of the release, My Nintendo is also offering a Super Smash Bros. themed January 2019 calendar and wallpapers. Redeem your points** to get this cool reward when it's available on Dec. 7. Don't forget that My Nintendo users who purchase and register the game by Jan. 31, 2019, will receive a download code for Piranha Plant, which will join the battle as a playable character when it's available.
Also new this week:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Diablo 3 is a game that I think would sell much better in the US than in EU, so EU sale at this point wouldn't be that surprising IMO. I saw Diablo 3 retail getting a good discount on Black Friday here in Europe.
(And the opposite: I would expect FIFA to sell better in EU than in the US.)

Why do you think Diablo isn't as big a seller in Europe than it is in the US? Genuinely curious, since I know very little about the series.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Those huge discounts so close to launch day (Starlink, Diablo, more on other platforms) are a big fuck you to early adopters.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Confused with the eShop layout.
I used the Just For You offer in the webstore and didn't see the option to use Gold Coins.
Tested for Pokemon TCG 3DS and Xenoblade X WiiU. Did see the option for Switch Smash Bros pre-order.
Is Gold Coins as currency limited to Switch or cannot be mixed with Just For You offer?