AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
SmuggleCraft has a 70% off launch sale ($2.99 US). Looks like it might be fast and fun. Only a few reviews on Steam but generally positive.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Riot Civil Unrest releases next month. I had never heard of the game but it looks awesome. The reviews on steam are quite mixed because apparently, the game used to be full of bugs. Hopefully the switch version will be ok, because this could totally be my jam.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Hamster's ARCADE ARCHIVE:

🔥MIGTHY🔥
💣BOMB JACK 💣

💥BOOOOOOOOM!💥

Bombjackarc.png

1034617774.jpg
1034617668.jpg

Say goodbye to the mediocre NES version and embrace a mighty classic from the Golden Era of arcades! This is as much as a must-buy as your Pac-Mans and Donkey Kongs and online leaderboards will give it a new coat of paint.

FLIP-GRIP and TATE aficionados: Obviously you can play in portrait mode and it's glorious! There's only one button so you can even comfortably use it in TATE with joycons attached!
Buy it and friend me to witness my shitty scores first-hand lol! My FC is on my profile page.

Last edited:

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I know I've been posting a lot about Shining Resonance lately, but I can't help it: the more I play it, the more I like it.

By now, I think you all know know this is an action RPG, so you only control the main character + issue general orders such as "focus on healing" to the CPU-controlled characters. Since you can change the player-controlled character, I've been trying the other characters out and they all feel very different from each other, which is great. I can control Kirika and act as a healer; I can control Marion and use her long-range cannon to hit multiple enemies (she's great at crowd control and can even confuse multiple targets); I can control Rinna and buff allies/debuff enemies to make battles easier.

DxtM3VfUwAAvv9x.jpg:large

Marion and her big gun are great at crowd control

The grimoire system is also very cool. You go talk to a magician girl and she presents you five or six different dungeons. You choose the one you like and go inside to fight enemies and get items, earning a special reward if you defeat the boss. However, you can use special items to change these dungeons before you go in, making them harder, adding different kinds of enemies and even changing the boss and the rewards you'll get. Not only is this a nice way to grind (and you need to grind in this game), but you also get nice rewards and some excitement, because the grimoire dungeons can get pretty hard.

DxtNCvcU0AAR_aY.jpg:large

Marion again because I really like her. Yeah, she's wearing a maid outfit, I... chose it... accidentally

I've said before this is a 7/10. Well, maybe it's a 8/10. It's not epic or special by any means, but it's very fun to play once you get the hang of how things work. It's a bit pricey at full price, but if you're fan of JRPGs and don't hate anime, I strongly recommend you get this if it gets a 50% off again.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

🔥MIGTHY🔥
💣BOMB JACK 💣

💥BOOOOOOOOM!💥

Bombjackarc.png

1034617774.jpg
1034617668.jpg

Say goodbye to the mediocre NES version and embrace a mighty classic from the Golden Era of arcades! This is as much as a must-buy as your Pac-Mans and Donkey Kongs and online leaderboards will give it a new coat of paint.

FLIP-GRIP and TATE aficionados: Obviously you can play in portrait mode and it's glorious! There's only one button so you can even comfortably use it in TATE with joycons attached!
Buy it and friend me to witness my shitty scores first-hand lol! My FC is on my profile page.
I am so getting this.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PikunikuPikuniku is an absurd puzzle-exploration game that takes place in a strange but playful world where not everything is as happy as it seems. Help peculiar characters overcome struggles, uncover a deep state conspiracy and start a fun little revolution in this delightful dystopian adventure.

Pikuniku seems very solid so far, about 30 minutes into it, I'm digging the vibe a whole lot!

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I know I've been posting a lot about Shining Resonance lately, but I can't help it: the more I play it, the more I like it.

By now, I think you all know know this is an action RPG, so you only control the main character + issue general orders such as "focus on healing" to the CPU-controlled characters. Since you can change the player-controlled character, I've been trying the other characters out and they all feel very different from each other, which is great. I can control Kirika and act as a healer; I can control Marion and use her long-range cannon to hit multiple enemies (she's great at crowd control and can even confuse multiple targets); I can control Rinna and buff allies/debuff enemies to make battles easier.

The grimoire system is also very cool. You go talk to a magician girl and she presents you five or six different dungeons. You choose the one you like and go inside to fight enemies and get items, earning a special reward if you defeat the boss. However, you can use special items to change these dungeons before you go in, making them harder, adding different kinds of enemies and even changing the boss and the rewards you'll get. Not only is this a nice way to grind (and you need to grind in this game), but you also get nice rewards and some excitement, because the grimoire dungeons can get pretty hard.

Marion again because I really like her. Yeah, she's wearing a maid outfit, I... chose it... accidentally

I've said before this is a 7/10. Well, maybe it's a 8/10. It's not epic or special by any means, but it's very fun to play once you get the hang of how things work. It's a bit pricey at full price, but if you're fan of JRPGs and don't hate anime, I strongly recommend you get this if it gets a 50% off again.
The sad part is that, while Shining Resonance is nothing special in terms of story or even gameplay, it still looks better than a lot of recent Tales games.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Considering your appreciation for Alwa's Awakening I'll probably grab the game tonight and post some early impressions tomorrow morning.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that! I'll look forward to reading that then!

Anyone try Unruly heroes? It looks amazing and like a sequel to the latest rayman titles

However I need to know if the game is 60fps before i pick it up, anyone know?

Some impressions have been posted in this thread though I didn't see if framerate has been mentioned:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unruly-heroes-launch-trailer-game-by-ex-rayman-devs-out-now.95227/

Also! If you are looking for something like Rayman Origins and Legends and haven't already played it, Splasher is absolutely awesome, and feels like a spiritual successor to those games as it was made by some of the same people who worked in them. My LTTP is here if you're interested in reading more:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...e-played-since-dktf-and-rayman-origins.20206/

Alwa's Awakening is a great Metroidvania. If you like the style (8 bit without the limitations) and slightly slower gameplay I would highly recommend it. The game is easily in the Top 5% of Switch indies.

Oh Intel has played Alwa's Awakening, they were just referring to their previous glowing praise for the game which had gotten me interested in playing it. :)

I don't know if we'll ever see a discount on Celeste. Or maybe the week after I buy it :)

Ah ok. I'm in the same boat as you though. Wish I picked it up on sale. Will definitely grab it on the next one though.

FWIW, as someone who always waits for sales on non-first party games, that game is worth every penny and then some. It's just amazing and packed with incredibly crafted and imaginative platforming content. I'm sure it will get a discount sooner or later, though.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ the HD rumble when playing Pikuniku in handheld mode is the loudest I think I've ever heard it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
How's it compare to Lumines? Does it wake up your girlfriend?

It was loud enough for my flatmate in the room next to me to hear it through the wall and make her ask me, "what is that?".

Next time I go on it I'll have to look in the options to try find a way of turning it off. I only wanted a quick 10 minute bash on it now to see what it was like.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
What's the general ERA opinion about Save Me Mr. Tako? I'm tempted by its current sale price but reviews don't seem too hot.

My opinion may not be in line with general era. I pre-ordered it because I liked the Gameboy aesthetics but so far have only been able to muster the strength to play for a couple hours or so.

The game controls a lot like old Gameboy platformers, pair that with instant death and the gameplay loop really boils down to memorization and repetition. You can have quite a few lives, but if you lose them all you have to restart the level, which kind of sucks for the boss fights. The story seems pretty minimal so far, and the novelty of flipping through the screen color options wears off in the one or two passes it takes to find the one that feels the least abrasive on your eyes.

For full price I probably wouldn't recommend it, but if the sale price is decent it's kind of fun.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Knight Terrors, the 2d pixel runner with a hunt of Flappy Bird mixed in. It's on sale for only 99 cents, but I'm not one to buy cheap games just because they're cheap. It's actually pretty fun and I can see myself putting a few hours into this. It's really good for quick pick up and play sessions, and it also has the "just one more run" feel going for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks man, I really appreciate that! I'll look forward to reading that then!

Some impressions have been posted in this thread though I didn't see if framerate has been mentioned:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unruly-heroes-launch-trailer-game-by-ex-rayman-devs-out-now.95227/

Also! If you are looking for something like Rayman Origins and Legends and haven't already played it, Splasher is absolutely awesome, and feels like a spiritual successor to those games as it was made by some of the same people who worked in them. My LTTP is here if you're interested in reading more:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...e-played-since-dktf-and-rayman-origins.20206/

Oh Intel has played Alwa's Awakening, they were just referring to their previous glowing praise for the game which had gotten me interested in playing it. :)

FWIW, as someone who always waits for sales on non-first party games, that game is worth every penny and then some. It's just amazing and packed with incredibly crafted and imaginative platforming content. I'm sure it will get a discount sooner or later, though.
I have no doubt it's worth the money I just gotta backlog to work through so no hurry.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh

🔥MIGTHY🔥
💣BOMB JACK 💣

💥BOOOOOOOOM!💥

Bombjackarc.png

1034617774.jpg
1034617668.jpg

So he was just Bomb Jack, before becoming MIGHTY on the consoles? Is there much difference with the arcade game?

I bought this a few years ago....after wafching Arino suffer so much, and me enjoying his pain, on GCCX!

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/order/DetailPage/item?itemCode=1049573355&ref=1043509830&lang=en

This looks like it scratches a similar itch that Tales of Vesperia does, eh? That game seems okay to me. I've put in a few hours, but haven't been blown away so far....

Not sure if everyone here and Hispanicguy and Epilexia saw this earlier, but a pretty neat patch!
https:///acclaimed-arcade-action-game-debris-infinity-updated-to-version-1-5-0/

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Played about an hour of Pikuniku, which I've been anticipating since its reveal, and I'm in love. It has charm pouring out of its, uh, pores and is uncannily written -- it's made me laugh out loud (and loudly) at my TV more than a few times already. Everything's wrapped up in a wonderful audiovisual aesthetic package, and the weirdly tactile character control and physics are a whole lot of fun. Just joyful so far.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I also played just around an hour of Pikuniku tonight. I was honestly hesitant since I first saw the game since some stuff like this can come off a bit disingenuous but I'm loving it. Really fun and genuinely funny, and it feels quite good, especially the swinging mechanic. Also, while it may end up being a bit simplistic (definitely can't say for sure this early on), it does feel like it's a game that 'has something to say' which I think is nice to see in a game like this.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017

🔥MIGTHY🔥
💣BOMB JACK 💣

💥BOOOOOOOOM!💥

Bombjackarc.png

1034617774.jpg
1034617668.jpg

My FlipGrip is on the way and I'm so glad because Bomb Jack is one of my favourite arcade games. (Up there with the Puzzle Bobble games which we also got!)

Here's hoping for a port of Bomb Jack Twin. <3

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
So he was just Bomb Jack, before becoming MIGHTY on the consoles? Is there much difference with the arcade game?

I bought this a few years ago....after wafching Arino suffer so much, and me enjoying his pain, on GCCX!

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/order/DetailPage/item?itemCode=1049573355&ref=1043509830&lang=en

This looks like it scratches a similar itch that Tales of Vesperia does, eh? That game seems okay to me. I've put in a few hours, but haven't been blown away so far....

Not sure if everyone here and Hispanicguy and Epilexia saw this earlier, but a pretty neat patch!
https:///acclaimed-arcade-action-game-debris-infinity-updated-to-version-1-5-0/

Debris infinity is a great game at a great price and more people should play it.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bought Legrand Legacy. Forgot to preorder when it was on sale but $20 still seemed like an ok price.

Only played a couple hours but enjoying it so far. Battles were frustrating until I changed the QTE to fixed.(u can also turn it off completely).

One thing I really want to compliment is the music. Title screen song as well is really good.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Pikuniku looks like silly fun, if a little simplistic maybe, not sure if I should try it. A small demo would have been cool to have a feel of it.
BTW does anyone know what makes a game get a demo on the eShop? Is it up to the developers?
I tried the Octahedron demo last night and that was pretty good. I can see the potential.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Yeah, Shining Resonance is a lot like Tales games. And it's funny I'm enjoying it so much, because every time a Tales game is released, I say "this is the one I'll actually beat", then I get the game, play for 5 hours and get bored of it. Maybe the thing with Shining is the interesting mechanics; maybe it's the fun combat system; or maybe I just like the whole waifu thing more then I would like to admit :P

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Pikuniku looks like silly fun, if a little simplistic maybe, not sure if I should try it. A small demo would have been cool to have a feel of it.
BTW does anyone know what makes a game get a demo on the eShop? Is it up to the developers?
The PC version of Pikuniku is free with Twitch Prime atm if you have a PC and a sub (or amazon prime).
And yes, a demo is up to the dev.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The PC version of Pikuniku is free with Twitch Prime atm if you have a PC and a sub (or amazon prime).
And yes, a demo is up to the dev.

Ok thanks but I don't have a sub.
It's weird more developers don't put out a demo. I know it can be a double-edged sword but for smaller games with an original concept it might help getting the game better. I'm very tempted by Octahedron now.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks but I don't have a sub.
It's weird more developers don't put out a demo. I know it can be a double-edged sword but for smaller games with an original concept it might help getting the game better. I'm very tempted by Octahedron now.
Yeah, it's probably a question of resources.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
So, I haven't checked in awhile but is Magician Lord back on the NA eshop? I was surprised it was removed before I could download it. Anyone know why it was removed?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

to hell with mighty moniker!
haha, yeah it was just Bomb Jack before.
The arcade games are just Bomb Jack and later Bomb Jack Twin.

The "Mighty" prefix is just for the awful NES game and yes, there's a lot of difference with the classic arcade game released today as part of the ACA series: the former is a sidescrolling platformer, in a time when it was the norm to modify an arcade game's simple (but perfect goddamn) premise into a more "complex" scenario: sometimes this worked (Contra for example), other times... not so much.

Curiously

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
to hell with mighty moniker!
haha, yeah it was just Bomb Jack before.
The arcade games are just Bomb Jack and later Bomb Jack Twin.

The "Mighty" prefix is just for the awful NES game and yes, there's a lot of difference with the classic arcade game released today as part of the ACA series: the former is a sidescrolling platformer, in a time when it was the norm to modify an arcade game's simple (but perfect goddamn) premise into a more "complex" scenario: sometimes this worked (Contra for example), other times... not so much.

Curiously
Have you played the Switch version of the original yet? How is it? One of my all-time faves, so I'm probably going to grab it soon.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

Yeah do it because it's so fun playing the ACA games especially the first couple weeks when you don't have only gigantic "pro" scores filling the top10, I'm currently #7 on the global HIGH SCORE mode leaderboard right now. Usually the hi-score chasing for the ACA series is for the Hi-Score and Caravan modes, the "original" and similar modes are for casual play/practice since you can use (infinite) continues and such.

Having a ton of fun with Bomb Jack, I'd like a neat re-emagining as a B production by Tecmo similar to Pac-Man CE or Space Invaders Extreme... there's ton of potential.

Well, I'm off to play and learning (again) which bomb is each level's firestarter 😅

Week January 24th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

- Games
  • Unruly Heroes - Magic Design Studios - $19.99/€19.99 - 3.0 GB
  • When Ski Lifts Go Wrong - Curve Digital - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: $12.74/€12.74) - 523 MB
  • Pikuniku - Sectordub/Devolver Digital - $12.99/€12.99 - 288 MB
  • Future Grind - Milkbag Games - $19.99/€16.99 - 387 MB
  • Goat Simulator: The GOATY - Coffee Stain - $29.99/€29.99 - 1.6 GB
    unrulyheroesw2khm.jpg
    whenskiliftsgowrongtkkvi.jpg
    pikunikukokfb.jpg
    futuregrindnlj2r.jpg
    goatsimulatorthegoatyyejql.jpg
  • JackQuest: Tale of the Sword - Blowfish Studios - $9.99/€9.99 - 68 MB
  • #Killallzombies - Beatshapers - $19.99/€19.99 (Launch sale: $13.99/€13.99) - 624 MB
  • Cursed Castilla - Abylight - $13.99/€13.99 - 115 MB
  • At Sundown - Versus Evil - $19.99/€19.99 (Launch sale: $15.99/€15.99) - 999 MB
  • Magic Nations - PrimeBit Games - €3.00 - 231 MB *02/04 on NA*
    jackquestp1jfy.jpg
    killallzombiesg8jwl.jpg
    cursedcastillactjh6.jpg
    atsundown1pjcm.jpg
    magicnationscrkdk.jpg
  • My Memory of Us - Crunching Koalas - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: $11.99) - 2.5 GB
  • Legrand Legacy: Tale of the Fatebounds - Another Indie Studio - $19.99/€19.99 (Launch sale: €15.99) - 6.9 GB
  • The Raven Remastered - THQ Nordic - $29.99/€29.99 - 6.2 GB
  • Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics - Ripstone - $24.99/€24.99 - 2.3 GB
  • Ihugu - Kool2Play - $3.99/€3.99 - 113 MB
    mymemoryofusfpkul.jpg
    legrandlegacytaleofthedkcq.jpg
    theravenremastered97jni.jpg
    achtungcthulhutactics8nj9q.jpg
    ihugu46jqb.jpg
  • Bomb Jack - Arcade - Tehkan/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • Asdivine Hearts II - Kemco - $12.99/€12.99 - 123 MB
  • SmuggleCraft - Happy Badger Studio - $9.99 (Launch sale: $2.99) - 11.6 GB *NA*
  • Smite: Founder's Pack - Hi-Rez Studios - $29.99/€26.31 - 9.0 GB
  • Bad Dream: Coma - Forever Ent. - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $8.99/€4.99) - 360 MB
    arcadearchivesbombjaclujmx.jpg
    asdivineheartsiiwqkw5.jpg
    smugglecrafty2ki1.jpg
    smitejuj2x.jpg
    baddreamcomankkgj.jpg
  • Forgotten Tales - Day of the Dead - Joindots - $14.99/€14.99 - 138 MB
  • Heroes Trails - Ratalaika Games - $5.99/€5.99 (Launch sale: $4.79/€4.79) - 488 MB
  • Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX - Akaoni Studio - €8.99 (Launch sale: €4.94) - 714 MB
  • Fishing Universe Simulator - Forever Ent. - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $8.99/€4.99) - 1.1 GB
  • Inops - ZRZStudio - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.2 GB
    forgottentales-dayoftvtklz.jpg
    heroestrialsrwj8m.jpg
    zombiepanicinwonderlavgk9m.jpg
    fishinguniversesimulayxkej.jpg
    inops31jsx.jpg
  • Swords & Soldiers - Two Tribes - $7.49/€7.49 (Launch sale: $4.94/€4.94) - 225 MB
  • Flowline VS - Baltoro Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 408 MB
  • Akihabara CRASH! 123STAGE+1 - DORASU - $8.00/€6.99 - 1.1 GB
  • Doodle God: Evolution - JoyBits - $6.99/€6.99 - 351 MB
  • Balance Blox - EntwicklerX - $2.99/€2.99 - 27 MB
    swordsoldiersfejwi.jpg
    flowlinesvsbgk5j.jpg
    akihabaracrash123stagzekdd.jpg
    doodlegodevolution53k0f.jpg
    balancebloxzfkgj.jpg
  • Monkey Wall - COSEN - $4.99/€3.99 - 88 MB
  • Perry Pig Jump - EntwicklerX - $2.99/€2.99 - 40 MB
    monkeywalla7kl5.jpg
    perrypigjump2jj8p.jpg

- Japan
  • Ise Shima Mystery Guide: The False Black Pearl - Flyhigh Works - ¥1,000
  • Amaekata wa Kanojo Nari ni. - Entergram - ¥4,980
    iseshimamysteryguidet4zk5w.jpg
    amaekatawakanojonarindsjmt.jpg

- Late regional releases
  • Sleep Tight - We Are Fuzzy - €12.99 - 1.5 GB *EU*
  • Atari Flashback Classics - Atari - €39.99 - 375 MB *EU*
  • Joe and Mac Caveman Ninjas - Arcade - Data East/FTE Games - €7.99 - 69 MB *EU*
  • Color Zen Kids - Cypronia - $3.99 - 80 MB *NA*