Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Blossom Tales just makes me want to boot up Link to the Past instead. I get send ups but this game just feels like a clone.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, Tiny Metal is 50% off on the EU eShop, is it worth €12.49 in its modern patched state?

Hey do folks have a recommended Solitaire title for Switch? Klondike is what I'm looking for, other modes appreciated but not necessarily required.
FWIW a Klondike game just came out today called Solitaire Klondike BLACK, €5 with a 30% off at the moment. No idea if it's any good.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Omg

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/odallus...ch-on-february-8-ps4-and-xbox-one-this-spring

I've been waiting to play this on a Nintendo console for years. This is very exciting. I played it on PC (never finished just because I don't like gaming on a computer) and I can guarantee fans of the genre, this game is legit and criminally overlooked. Hopefully console releases will provide the attention it deserves.

This is also getting a very limited physical release through PlayAsia, bundled with Oniken if that's your thing.

https://www.play-asia.com/oniken-odallus-collection-limited-edition/13/70ci9j
oniken-odallus-collection-limited-edition-583543.27.jpg

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Not exactly a new game, but it's a new trailer, and a Switch version is confirmed (digital and physical):

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Omg

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/odallus...ch-on-february-8-ps4-and-xbox-one-this-spring

I've been waiting to play this on a Nintendo console for years. This is very exciting. I played it on PC (never finished just because I don't like gaming on a computer) and I can guarantee fans of the genre, this game is legit and criminally overlooked. Hopefully console releases will provide the attention it deserves.

Odallus is a great game. While it captures the tone of the 8-bit Castlevanias (and some other similarly moody games), the gameplay is decidedly more modern. I definitely recommend it but don't go into it expecting a faithful recreation of Castlevania's commitment-jumps or its high difficulty.
Octahedron is absolutely wonderful. I've played through the first two worlds now (skipping all the different medals for the time being) and every level has been different from the last. My enjoyment curve has been going up steadily with each level. I'm really curious to see what the rest of the game has to offer.
Guess I gotta check it out. Thanks! That puts today's damage at:

YIIK
Feudal Alloy
Gunman Clive
Octahedron

Yeesh. And this is only a week after the other bombastic day with Momodora, Caveblazers, Everything, and OutRun!

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Axiom Verge is fucking legit. I love the alien bio horror aesthetic.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone play Animus? It's $11 CAD and getting decent impressions from people who like Souls clones.

Edit: screw it bought it, will post impressions.

Where do folks go for coverage for lesser known games?

Last edited:

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone play Animus? It's $11 CAD and getting decent impressions from people who like Souls clones.

Edit: screw it bought it, will post impressions.

Where do folks go for coverage for lesser known games?

This topic.

Or I just google and find impressions and reviews for other versions if they exist. Steam reviews can be of help for example.

And often I just pull the trigger on games that appeal to me.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Odallus is a great game. While it captures the tone of the 8-bit Castlevanias (and some other similarly moody games), the gameplay is decidedly more modern. I definitely recommend it but don't go into it expecting a faithful recreation of Castlevania's commitment-jumps or its high difficulty.

Are you saying it isn't difficult and doesn't have stupid jumps? Color me intrigued.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If you want higher difficulty, Oniken is an awesome action game that is also super faithfull to the nes limitations

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Oniken seems to be a game I'd been sleeping on. Looks exactly like the kind of game I'd enjoy. I'm sold on it1

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Are you saying it isn't difficult and doesn't have stupid jumps? Color me intrigued.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I don't think Castlevania games have stupid jumps -- they have jumps that require good timing and knowing when and how to commit. But yes, Odallus is significantly easier than Castlevania games, which is not a boon for me. I prefer games to be challenging. But Odallus is still quite good anyway.

Last edited:

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Blossom Tales just makes me want to boot up Link to the Past instead. I get send ups but this game just feels like a clone.

I think the dungeon design and challenges are a bit more interesting than just a clone. The overworld aspect is a bit generic and boring. I enjoyed my time due to the late dungeons. I will say that the art and pixel graphics is an eye sore. Not well made sprites, flat, and inconsistent. Music is good homage. Hopefully in the next game, the art is more consistent and take more liberties with the overworld design.

I will admit it is not a Zelda clone that stands out, but I find the dungeons and platforming (the last aspect is rather limiting in ALTTP) its saving grace.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Finished kuso this morning, it was worth the buck that I spent on it for sure. The platforming is fun and the soundtrack is really really good.

One word of warning, I was playing kuso in portable mode last night and I must've dozed off for a couple of minutes on the same static screen. When I closed the game I noticed lines going across the screen like they were burnt into the display but after a couple of minutes playing Lumines it went back to normal.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Since i know there's a lot of Picross fans here, i just want to say that yesterday it came out a demo of the game Piczle Colors.

It has the same core mechanics as Picross but with some twists.
You can see some of those rules in the video below.

If they do like their previous game "Piczle lines" we can expect a lot of cool support.
This game already promises 300 puzzles and i bet it wont be like most picross games that say is 200 puzzles but 100 of them are just the same image but harder puzzle.

PS. Touchscreen works on all the game.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Omg

Same here. Played on Steam and loved it. It deserves attention.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So is One Strike more on the Astrobears (same dev) side of "worth it for a dollar" or more on the "don't bother" side?

Also, it seems like Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate got a physical price drop (39.99 at BB before GCU), no idea if/when that will be reflected in the eshop.

Last edited:

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Damn, I really am shocked by the amount of indies coming to Switch each month. Completely overlooked The Missing, GRIS, Minit, and Pool Party from last year and only found out about them from EZA's goty deliberations. Need to start checking the eShop each week to keep up on new releases.

Definitely grabbing Pikuniku and TSA this month. Will have to see if anything aside from those two manages to surprise me

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I might actually be more hyped for the Guilty Gear port than Accent Core - because we never did get a good Euro port (so much cut content story wise) so getting an uncut version would be quite appealing.

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
So is One Strike more on the Astrobears (same dev) side of "worth it for a dollar" or more on the "don't bother" side?

Also, it seems like Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate got a physical price drop (39.99 at BB before GCU), no idea if/when that will be reflected in the eshop.
Having previous purchased one strike at less than a £1, it's worth it if you plan on playing it with friends. I use it as part of a games night, you won't be playing it for hours on end but it's enjoyable enough with a few mates. It's not about learning moves but reading your opposition and knowing your characters strengths and weaknesses. Eg player with longest reach, cannot block.

Week January 17th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

- Games
  • Feudal Alloy - Attu Games - $16.99/€14.99 - 1.6 GB
  • YIIK: A Postmodern RPG - Ysbryd Games - $19.99/€19.99 - 3.7 GB
  • Octahedron: Transfixed Edition - Demimonde/Square Enix - $12.99/€12.99 (Launch sale: €9.74) - 373 MB
  • Gunman Clive HD Collection - Horberg Productions - $3.99/€3.99 - 143 MB
  • Mars or Die! - 34BigThings - $19.99/€19.99 - 843 MB
    feudalalloytekaz.jpg
    yiikapostmodernrpgluj94.jpg
    octahedrontransfixedezlj9q.jpg
    gunmanclivehdcollectio0kw1.jpg
    marsordief4jyt.jpg
  • Onimusha: Warlords - Capcom - $19.99/€19.99 - 9.6 GB
  • The Shrouded Isle - Kitfox Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 999 MB
  • Forever Forest - Fictive Studio - $14.99/€14.99 - 237 MB
  • Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force - Idea Factory/Ghostlight - $39.99/€34.99 (Launch sale: $31.99/€27.99) - 8.1 GB
  • Bash the Bear - FuryLion Group - $4.99/€4.99 - 135 MB
    onimushawarlordsbzk8o.jpg
    theshroudedisle4ljwc.jpg
    foreverforest8dk2i.jpg
    fairyfencerfadventdar25kb4.jpg
    bashthebearzeknp.jpg
  • Dragon's Lair Trilogy - Digital Leisure - $19.99/€19.99 - 6.9 GB
  • Ninja Master's - NeoGeo - ADK/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99 - 139 MB
  • The Office Quest - 11Sheep - $11.99/€11.99 (Launch sale: $10.19) - 710 MB
  • Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?! - Rising Star Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 999 MB
  • Rampage Knights - Rake in Grass - $11.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $9.59/€8.99) - 223 MB
    dragonslairtrilogy1ejey.jpg
    acaneogeoninjamasterslckfw.jpg
    theofficequestu3jd1.jpg
    holypotatoeswereinspa2qjiq.jpg
    rampageknightsx3kjm.jpg
  • Mega Mall Story - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 189 MB
  • Football Heroes Turbo - Run Games - $14.99 - 229 MB *NA*
  • GetAmped Mobile - CyberStep - Free-to-Play
  • Crazy Strike Bowling EX - Corecell - $9.99/€9.99 - 3.5 GB
  • Mecho Wars: Desert Ashes - Arcade Distillery - $9.99/€9.99 (Preorder sale: €7.99) - 160 MB
    megamallstoryeej27.jpg
    footballheroesturboyrkct.jpg
    getampedmobile5vkys.jpg
    crazystrikebowlingexsokbf.jpg
    mechowarsdesertashesvxj5z.jpg
  • Build a Bridge! - BoomBit Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 241 MB
  • Fight of Gods - Digital Crafter - $12.99/€11.29 - 2.1 GB
  • Planet RIX-13 - Sometimes You - $4.99/€4.99 - 127 MB
  • Bedtime Blues - Forever Ent. - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $8.99/€4.99) - 399 MB
  • Dying: Reborn - Coconut Island Games - $9.99/€8.39 - 3.3 GB
    buildabridge3vkum.jpg
    fightofgodsm0kz4.jpg
    planetrix-135tk3m.jpg
    bedtimebluesy0k81.jpg
    dyingrebornsej6r.jpg
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - Grasshopper Manufacture - $29.99/€29.99 - 5.6 GB
  • Ancient Rush 2 - Heideland GameWorks - €9.99 - 2.3 GB *EU*
  • Paladin - Pumpkin Games - €8.99 - 152 MB *EU*
  • UTOPIA 9 - A Volatile Vacation - QubicGames - €9.99 - 999 MB *EU*
  • Old School Racer 2 - Riddlersoft Games - $7.99/€6.99 (Preorder sale: $5.35/€4.34) - 199 MB
    travisstrikesagainnomn2kwv.jpg
    ancientrush23yktf.jpg
    paladin7dj18.jpg
    utopia9-avolatilevacattk33.jpg
    oldschoolracer264j07.jpg
  • Cinderella: An Interactive Fairytale - Golden Orb - $5.99/€4.99 - 184 MB
  • Spot the Differences: Party! - Sanuk Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 801 MB
  • Solitaire Klondike BLACK - G-mode - €5.09 (Launch sale: €3.56) - 42 MB *EU*
  • My Exotic Farm 2018 - Plug In Digital - $9.99/€9.99 - 321 MB
    cinderella-aninteractq3kew.jpg
    spotthedifferencesparyqjrg.jpg
    solitaireklondikeblacrjkki.jpg
    myexoticfarm201807ksw.jpg

- DLCs

• The Walking Dead: The Final Season - Telltale Games
    15 - Episode 3: Broken Toys - Free with Season Pass ($19.99/€23.99)
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Bandai Namco Games
    17 - Extra Pass - $29.99/€29.99
  • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - Bandai Namco Games
    17 - Adventurer Starter Pack - Free
    17 - Costume Pack - Free
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - Grasshopper Manufacture
    18 - Season Pass - $9.98/€9.99

- Late regional releases
  • Nitro Ball - Arcade - Data East/FTE Games - €7.99 - 71 MB *EU*
  • Left-Right: The Mansion - Triple Boris - $3.99 - 972 MB *NA*

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

Announced out of nowhere! Teased this morning then announced 3 hours later lol.

PQube games seems to be all in on publishing software on the Nintendo Switch until further notice. A lot of games they've published since late 2017 has come to the platform so I guess those Vita ports turned into Switch ports for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I'm almost done with Momodora and it's been an ok game. Not the most challenging thing and it's rather short, music and sound is kind of a let down. Still not a bad game if you need a quick play and like metroidvania-ish stuff.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

I would say those games are priced appropriately at $1. I played each game, literally one time for about 30 minutes. And then deleted them.

You can ask yourself if 30 minutes for a somewhat interesting game is worth $1.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I really am shocked by the amount of indies coming to Switch each month.
Same here, and what's even more impressive is that the games are selling well too, I read all the time that the Switch version of indie multiplats sell a ton more than on other platforms, so it's not over-crowded either from the souind of it.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I saw that in the post I was quoting. That's why I felt an itch to play some sports games with RPG elements. I still remember playing MLB Power Pros on the Wii and that game was so much fun. I wish Konami would have continued with that series in the states.
NBA2K has an RPG-like mode where you make a player and spend your points continuing to improve their skills as you play through their career. If you want to avoid microtransactions in it, play offline and it should be somewhat better.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Zombie Night Terror is coming to Switch at the end of this month.

The name might make you think that this is just another generic zombie game, but it's really not. It's basically a puzzle game in the vein of Lemmings. Make your army of zombies grow by infecting humans around the map and apply abilities (like explode) to zombies to get past obstacles.

I really liked what I played of it on pc a couple of years ago. Don't let the name fool you! It also has a respectable metacritic average as well as a very positive rating on Steam across ~1000 reviews.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
God damn, Hollow Knight is freaking huuuuuge.

The name might make you think that this is just another generic zombie game, but it's really not. It's basically a puzzle game in the vein of Lemmings. Make your army of zombies grow by infecting humans around the map and apply abilities (like explode) to zombies to get past obstacles.

I really liked what I played of it on pc a couple of years ago. Don't let the name fool you! It also has a respectable metacritic average as well as a very positive rating on Steam across ~1000 reviews.

This looks like day one material, damn! I feel like nobody has even dared to touch the lemmings formula in decades, which sounds crazy because, at the time, it felt like it was one of the most popular videogames ever, you could find it installed in almost any random computer, like Prince of Persia or Doom.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I was gonna wait for a sale on Momodora but ended up going for it since I wanna have a shortish single-playthru game after Rain World, looking forward to giving it a go. It's funny because besides the fact that there are so many games on the Switch by now, also sooooo many of them are the kind of game you could feasibly return to and play forever or at least for a couple hundred hours. Definitely makes it hard to just stick with one ha.

I do wanna shout out Rain World again now that I've finished it. I really think anyone who's heard a bit about it and is interested should give it a shot. I tend to like games/media that are divisive for the sort of reasons Rain World is, so I went in with high expectations and still ended up loving it way more than I thought I would. It might be one of the best games I've played, certainly one of the best I've played in the last few years. It amazes me that people don't make more of the game's visual style. I can't think of any other games with a similar style, and there's probably not a single 2D game that does as much with shadows as Rain World.
I will say, though, if you have the option to play it on a platform other than Switch (I didn't), it may be worth just playing it on one of those. I quite liked how it played as a handheld game, but aside from that, it's not quite a perfect port, with some semi-regular (mostly predictable) stutters and a few sequences that tanked the framerate pretty hard. Still perfectly playable and wonderful regardless.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This looks fun, thanks for sharing it!

Apr 24, 2018
I know very little about the game(s), but I just picked up the Mutant Mudd Collection. I think I remember Peer (or someone) speaking highly of these games (this collection?) on IGN's NVC podcast a while back. I had just enough gold coins to get the game for free; coupled with seeing the Metacritic score at 85 made this an easy impulse decision. Now as to when I'll play the thing, that's another matter entirely...

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Hollow Knight after 31 hours, only got the standard ending but I don't think I have the energy to go for the other ones.

Next up is Bayonetta 2 and by the time I'm done with that I would imagine there will probably be some big name indies coming soon after the indie direct this week (my money is on Wargroove releasing by the end of the month or early February).