Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Zombie Night Terror is coming to Switch at the end of this month.

The name might make you think that this is just another generic zombie game, but it's really not. It's basically a puzzle game in the vein of Lemmings. Make your army of zombies grow by infecting humans around the map and apply abilities (like explode) to zombies to get past obstacles.

I really liked what I played of it on pc a couple of years ago. Don't let the name fool you! It also has a respectable metacritic average as well as a very positive rating on Steam across ~1000 reviews.

I loved Lemmings so much at the time. It's criminal that Sony now owns the IP and does absolutely nothing with it.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
This game is really good, if you are a roguelike fan you should play it.

I would add that if you're a fan of turn-based combat and you like Final Fantasy 4, 6, or Chrono Trigger, then you should pick this up. Of all the retro JRPG or JRPG-esque games out there, this one comes closest to capturing the spirit of those games. The art is fantastic and the music is even better. It gave me shivers a few times it so accurately captured the feeling I had when playing those games as a kid. Note, this is definitely a roguelike so it doesn't play like a JRPG, but it's a great place to start for newbies. There are tons of options to make the game easier or harder, there are persistent items and gold, there's an adventure mode that turns perma-death off, a bunch of multi-classing options, a pet system that allows you to capture and breed companions to adventure with, some great quest-oriented rewards, and a bunch of other cool stuff that make this much more approachable than something like Stone Soup or Golden Krone Hotel. Like I said, it's not a JRPG (the story is relatively straight-forward, without much dialogue and it plays second fiddle to the dungeon-crawling style gameplay; except for one or two pets at a time, you adventure alone, without a party), but there is a lot of character and class to this one. Plus the devs rule and provide a lot to support; they're always taking requests to balance the game and add features. If this at all interests you, check out some footage on Youtube. It's been out awhile now, but it's one of my favorite games of 2018 and will be a favorite of 2019 too.

Dev just confirmed price is $20: new area and monsters from DLC will be included in Switch version, but because of the way they had to develop it the complete DLC won't be included right away. Absolutely worth that price. I've dropped 40 hours into it and have one victory. Could easily spend another 40-60 playing NG+ and toying with different builds.

Last edited:

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I would add that if you're a fan of turn-based combat and you like Final Fantasy 4, 6, or Chrono Trigger, then you should pick this up. Of all the retro JRPG or JRPG-esque games out there, this one comes closest to capturing the spirit of those games. The art is fantastic and the music is even better. It gave me shivers a few times it so accurately captured the feeling I had when playing those games as a kid. Note, this is definitely a roguelike so it doesn't play like a JRPG, but it's a great place to start for newbies. There are tons of options to make the game easier or harder, there are persistent items and gold, there's an adventure mode that turns perma-death off, a bunch of multi-classing options, a pet system that allows you to capture and breed companions to adventure with, some great quest-oriented rewards, and a bunch of other cool stuff that make this much more approachable than something like Stone Soup or Golden Krone Hotel. Like I said, it's not a JRPG (the story is relatively straight-forward, without much dialogue and it plays second fiddle to the dungeon-crawling style gameplay; except for one or two pets at a time, you adventure alone, without a party), but there is a lot of character and class to this one. Plus the devs rule and provide a lot to support; they're always taking requests to balance the game and add features. If this at all interests you, check out some footage on Youtube. It's been out awhile now, but it's one of my favorite games of 2018 and will be a favorite of 2019 too.

Dev just confirmed price is $20: new area and monsters from DLC will be included in Switch version, but because of the way they had to develop it the complete DLC won't be included right away. Absolutely worth that price. I've dropped 40 hours into it and have one victory. Could easily spend another 40-60 playing NG+ and toying with different builds.

... and you just sold me on it.

I've just watched this trailer and it looks like each class is pretty unique. And yes, there is a strong JRPG vibe all around it.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Zombie Night Terror is coming to Switch at the end of this month.

The name might make you think that this is just another generic zombie game, but it's really not. It's basically a puzzle game in the vein of Lemmings. Make your army of zombies grow by infecting humans around the map and apply abilities (like explode) to zombies to get past obstacles.

I really liked what I played of it on pc a couple of years ago. Don't let the name fool you! It also has a respectable metacritic average as well as a very positive rating on Steam across ~1000 reviews.

That looks like a surprising amount of fun, don't have the money for it in my budget but that's definitely going on my wishlist.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Man, I wish I could describe games like this. I just am not good at putting thoughts into words.
You literally sold me on this game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Axiom Verge is starting to chap my ass. It feels like I can only helplessly blunder into enemies that are way stronger than my pathetic dinky gun.

And the fucking controller I just bought last week has vertical drift.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to decide which version of Dragon Marked for Death I'm gonna download later this month. Really not sure which character I'd have the most fun with

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

Deleted member 59

Nicalis have a great sale on US eshop atm, all their titles on sale, some 50-60% off.

Grabbed Save me Mr Tako and The End is Nigh for $4.99 each and Ikaruga for $9.99.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Now that a sizable collection has been built up, which ACA Hamster Neo Geo games are considered must haves?
My best advice is King of Fighters 98 and 2002 and Mark of the Wolves for fighting games, Metal Slug 1, X, and 3 for side scrolling shooters, Segoku 3 for brawlers, Twinkle Star Sprites for puzzle, and Blazing Star and Pulstar for shmup (Cyberlip is acceptable though).

Magician Lord is also a solid choice, but it's incredibly difficult even for an arcade title. Shock Troopers is also solid.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Nicalis is back with another US eShop sale (ends February 3rd):

Blade Strangers - 63% off / $14.99
Cave Story+ - 50% off / $14.99
Code of Princess EX - 50% off / $19.99
Ikaruga - 33% off / $9.99
Ittle Dew 2+ - 67% off / $9.99
Knight Terrors - 67% off / $0.99
Save me Mr Tako: Tasukete Tako-San - 67% off / $4.99
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - 50% off / $19.99
The End Is Nigh - 67% off / $4.99
Tiny Barbarian DX - 67% off / $9.99
VVVVVV - 50% off / $4.99

Massive price drop on Blade Strangers considering it hasn't even been out for five months yet. You have to wonder just how well it sold at $40 in the months after release while featuring a niche roster with the impending Smash monster on the horizon. $15 is mighty tempting though and I can only imagine how successful it would've been had it launched at that pricepoint, physical price parity be damned...

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

VVVVVV - 50% off / $4.99

Massive price drop on Blade Strangers considering it hasn't even been out for five months yet. You have to wonder just how well it sold at $40 in the months after release while featuring a niche roster with the impending Smash monster on the horizon. $15 is mighty tempting though and I can only imagine how successful it would've been had it launched at that pricepoint, physical price parity be damned...
Now would be a great time for them to bring this sale to EU.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
has anyone in here played/enjoyed 'save me mr. tako'? I'm down for a game boy throwback-type game and it looks pretty nice in trailers but I feel like the couple reviews I saw of it when it came out were pretty negative on the gameplay...

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thanks for the heads up, guys!

I'm interested in Ittle Dew 2+. I played the first game when it came out and while it didn't blow me away, I liked it enough to beat it. If I liked the first one, any reason not to get the sequel?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Swords & Soldiers is finally coming to the Switch on Friday. Surprised it took this long TBH. I'm also pretty sure S&S2 is releasing on PS4 this month so I wonder why that isn't scheduled too.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I just want to say to fellow kids owning a Flip Grip that I heartily recommend GUNBARICH, the game's really cool in its Gunbird-spin on Arkanoid but playing it in TATE mode honestly improves it a ton, probably the game in my collection where playing with a vertical screen makes the most difference. It's also awesome to look at with no filters, only IKARUGA is visually more impressive to me in TATE (love playing TPA and Pinball FX 3 iN TATE mode for the gameplay enhancements but I think visual-wise they lose more than they gain

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
has anyone in here played/enjoyed 'save me mr. tako'? I'm down for a game boy throwback-type game and it looks pretty nice in trailers but I feel like the couple reviews I saw of it when it came out were pretty negative on the gameplay...

I hated it and I'm the target audience for this game (huge Game Boy fan). It's decent fun for a couple hours but ends up being far too bloated and the gameplay gets pretty frustrating. I dropped it after around six hours.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I just want to say to fellow kids owning a Flip Grip that I heartily recommend GUNBARICH, the game's really cool in its Gunbird-spin on Arkanoid but playing it in TATE mode honestly improves it a ton, probably the game in my collection where playing with a vertical screen makes the most difference. It's also awesome to look at with no filters, only IKARUGA is visually more impressive to me in TATE (love playing TPA and Pinball FX 3 iN TATE mode for the gameplay enhancements but I think visual-wise they lose more than they gain

Hey, I'm an Arkanoid fan and didn't know about Gunbarich. Thanks for the tip!

And from all the pinball platforms on Switch, the only one I play in TATE is Zaccaria (View 3 is perfect for me). I tried playing Pinball FX in TATE, but the camera options are very poor in my opinion.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Just nabbed Ikaruga! So excited. This will be my first time with it...finally!

For shits I priced the GCN version on Amazon. It's currently at $105.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I feel bad for all my negative comments about Hollow Knight on the past, hope I didn't sway anybody into not buying it because, now that it seems I might be nearing the end (although, who the fuck knows, this game is humongous!) I really think it's deserving all the praise it's been getting, really.

It's a monumental achievement in my eyes to create such an intricate world (both visually and mechanically) so full of detail and yet so huge and fulfilling.

Specially in this era full of games with procedurally generated levels that we're in , having a game of this scale handcrafted like this... it blows my mind. It's not like it's a perfect game, otherwise i wouldn't have had those so- so first 5 hours that made me quit, obviously, but still, the game really picks itself up on the 10 hour mark and then things start to move along very very interestingly with some very cool, surprising and challenging moments.

Even traversal and backtracking which is so annoying in the beginning, by the end, becomes even enjoyable due to all the movement possibilities and the new ways in which you can deal with foes. The game almost becomes a very competent platformer game, rather than an action adventure one which, although I also love them, automatically puts HK above 2D Metroid games (movement is good in those games but not awesome, specially jumping sections).

Anyway, just my way of making up for my past negative comments on this amazing game. Ah, and on top of everything I said, it's so freaking cheap! Buy it!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Jonno394 and Baladium for the heads-up on the sale!

I too would be interested to read more impressions. I think OrbitalBeard 's post swayed me away from much interest in it though.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
For those who are interested in Dragon Marked for Death, apparently Inti Creates has contracted a whole bunch of virtual youtuber in Japan to play the game. You can search them by typing "Dragon Marked for Death 実況" on youtube.

For example, this one is dedicated for Witch. At 11:40 the youtuber showed the help menu, and spells must be input in specific sequence. Elemental spells can be unlocked at different levels.

Edit: That art in the video may be off-putting to some people, but I can't find another video dedicated to Witch...

Last edited:

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017

VVVVVV - 50% off / $4.99

Hm. Is Ittle Dew 2+ in particular worth the investment, even if one hasn't played the first game? And Save Me Mr. Tako seems like a steal at that price; a shame that the gameplay sounds lame. :(

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

VVVVVV - 50% off / $4.99

Wait a second... Is Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + all of Rebirth and all of the DLC available on Steam? Because that makes the Switch version 15 bucks cheaper than the PC version.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to throw out a recommendation for VVVVVV.

VVVVVV - 50% off / $4.99

For a mere five bucks, you could be playing a tantalizingly tricky and immaculately designed maze of platforms and gravity-defying derring do.

The V represents a lot of things in the game, but it especially represents individual spikes. Like spiked pits. The kind that try to destroy your spirit.

If you like platformers and the game looks appealing, give it a shot. It's well worth the sale price. It's not a super long game but it is a lot of fun. I played through it on 3DS and it definitely stayed in my mind as an addictive and well paced game with a fair difficulty curve and some sequences which really make you feel like you've defied gravity - and certain death.

Kirikocho

Dec 30, 2018
I just want to throw out a recommendation for VVVVVV.

VVVVVV - 50% off / $4.99

For a mere five bucks, you could be playing a tantalizingly tricky and immaculately designed maze of platforms and gravity-defying derring do.

The V represents a lot of things in the game, but it especially represents individual spikes. Like spiked pits. The kind that try to destroy your spirit.

If you like platformers and the game looks appealing, give it a shot. It's well worth the sale price. It's not a super long game but it is a lot of fun. I played through it on 3DS and it definitely stayed in my mind as an addictive and well paced game with a fair difficulty curve and some sequences which really make you feel like you've defied gravity - and certain death.

Here to add that the music in this game is awesome, one of my favourite indie soundtracks.

Deleted member 59

Bought and Played The End is Nigh for about an hour. I remember being so hyped for this game, but i think it suffered from releasing like a month before Celeste. People (like me!) just seemingly forgot all about it in terms of twitch platforming due to how damn good Celeste was.

why are there 2 versions of Dragon Marked for Death?

Rather than release one $29.99 title, which might be a harder sell, they have split the title into two $14.99 versions, with two characters each, so people can dive into the game at a lower price.

The other 2 characters you don't own can be added to the version you bought as DLC (for another $14.99).

Last edited by a moderator:

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017

VVVVVV - 50% off / $4.99

Which of these are absolute must-plays? I've only played Cave Story (good but not amazing) and VVVVVV (one of my all-time favorites!) on that list. (And I strongly dislike roguelikes/lites.)

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from BOTW, Skyrim, and arguably Starlink...what are the best open world games on Switch right now? I also already own XBC2 which is pseudo open world. Any recommendations? I'm looking for an open world game with fun exploration and good gameplay loops.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 21 - Magic Nations - PrimeBit Games - €3.00 - 231 MB
    --
  • 22 - Ihugu - Kool2Play - $3.99/€3.99 - 113 MB
  • 22 - At Sundown - Versus Evil - $19.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: $15.99/€15.99) - 999 MB
  • 22 - Future Grind - Milkbag Games - $19.99/€16.99 - 387 MB
  • 22 - The Raven Remastered - THQ Nordic - $29.99/€29.99 - 6.2 GB
    --
  • 24 - Pikuniku - Sectordub/Devolver Digital - $12.99/€12.99 (Preorder sale: €11.69) - 288 MB
  • 24 - JackQuest: Tale of the Sword - Blowfish Studios - $9.99/€9.99 - 68 MB
  • 24 - Legrand Legacy: Tale of the Fatebounds - Another Indie Studio - $19.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: €15.99) - 6.9 GB
  • 24 - #Killallzombies - Beatshapers - $19.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: $13.99/€13.99) - 624 MB
  • 24 - Cursed Castilla - Abylight - $13.99/€13.99 (Preorder sale: $12.59/€12.59) - 115 MB
  • 24 - Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics - Ripstone - $24.99/€24.99 - 2.3 GB
  • 24 - My Memory of Us - Crunching Koalas - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.5 GB
  • 24 - Asdivine Hearts II - Kemco - $12.99/€12.99 - 123 MB
  • 24 - Bad Dream: Coma - Forever Ent. - $9.99/€9.99 - 360 MB
  • 24 - Smite - Hi-Rez Studios - Free-to-Play - 9.0 GB
  • 24 - Fishing Universe Simulator - Forever Ent. - €9.99 - 1.1 GB
  • 24 - NeoGeo game - NeoGeo - Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • 24 - Sleep Tight - We Are Fuzzy - €12.99 - 1.5 GB *EU*
  • 24 - Joe and Mac Caveman Ninjas - Arcade - Data East/FTE Games - €7.99 - 69 MB *EU*
  • 24 - Atari Flashback Classics - Atari - €39.99 - 375 MB *EU*
  • 24 - Doodle God: Evolution - JoyBits - $6.99/€6.99 (Preorder sale: €4.89) - 351 MB
    --
  • 25 - Heroes Trails - Ratalaika Games - $5.99/€5.99 - 488 MB
  • 25 - Swords & Soldiers - Two Tribes - €7.49
  • 25 - Flowline VS - Baltoro Games - $3.99/€4.99 - 408 MB
    --
  • 26 - Inops - ZRZStudio - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.2 GB

Japan
  • 24 - Ise Shima Mystery Guide: The False Black Pearl - Flyhigh Works - ¥1,000
  • 24 - Amaekata wa Kanojo Nari ni. - Entergram - ¥4,980