• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eShop E3 surprise of this year

• Mother 3

Votes: 102 17.9%
  • Mother Trilogy

Votes: 105 18.4%
  • Mother 4

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Mother: The Dark World

Votes: 144 25.3%
  • Grandmother

Votes: 197 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Why am I tempted to buy Inside when I already own it on PC, finished it and didn't particularly like it?

Just ignore the release period hype. It'll pass quickly and there are other games in the pipeline that will likely better satisfy you over forcing a double dip for no real strong reason.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I bought Lone Wolf a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale thanks to HotHam too.

Would probably get Inside today if I had some money left :( tempted to double dip on Limbo as well but nah.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I bought Inside. The game is just...pretty unique. Very, very interesting. I love it so far. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Also, Arena of Valor is legit. See if any of you can get in on the Switch Closed Beta test running this week. Check the ArenaOfValor Twitter Page.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Buy yourself a nice t-shirt or dinner instead. No sense in double-dipping on something you didn't like and already own.

Just ignore the release period hype. It'll pass quickly and there are other games in the pipeline that will likely better satisfy you over forcing a double dip for no real strong reason.

Oh, I'm not going to pick it up - I'm just annoyed with myself that I was actually thinking about it. But I guess that just the power of the Switch.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Ah, the guiltiness of double dipping, I can feel your pain.

In this Steam sale I'm with the same conflict.

Seriously thinking in purchasing again 'Yodanji' and 'Ninja Shodown' in Steam, two of my last-year favorite Switch games.

In the case of 'Yodanji' and in a weird way, to have this in portable form in my GPD Win. Because while the Switch version is portable, they don't let you to use the DPAD for the movement and this is killing me. At least, with Steam I can configure a custom layout to use the DPAD.

And in the case of 'Ninja Shodown', because it's the best score-attack arcade game made this generation, and I want to have this also installed in my Mac.

By the way, ignore the videos or the reviews talking about its multiplayer mode.

Simply, 'Ninja Showdown' has the best arcade single player mode made since 'Super Crate Box'. And it's currently on sale also on Switch, at the price of €7.79. A steal at this price, for a game that I still continue playing every month to try to increase my best score.

Even more, in the last month I spent a lot of hours with the other game of Bitmap Bureau, the roguelite platforming classic 'Super House of Dead Ninjas', and I can say after so many hours playing both games that 'Ninja Shodown' is even better. Much more polished in its mechanics thanks to the single screen approach. In the same way as I still prefer 'Super Crate Box' to 'Nucelar Throne'.

The hit system in the Bitmap Bureau games, in which your score will be determined by how close you are to the center point of an enemy, making the experience close to a rhythm game and the accuracy pushing the notes, is bananas.

My current rank of perfect score-attack games, that are perfect for Switch:

1. Ninja Shodown
  2. Don't Die Mr. Robot DX
  3. Arcade Archives: Star Force
  4. Arcade Archives: Mario Bros
  5. Knight Terrors

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Figment looks interesting, anyone pick this up? It's the first I've heard of it...

I bought Figment on PC when it released, and refunded after 1 hour. The game is pretty, but the story was complete gibberish, movement felt wrong, battles were a slog and not fun at all to me. The only thing I liked was the graphics. I do not recommend buying this or at least watch a few videos first!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually had an interesting thing happen to me with this STEAM sale. It made me realize that more than half of the games in my wishlist are indie titles that I'd now much rather play on my Switch.

I even bought Into The Breach and really liked the hour or so I spent with it but after that session, I opted for a refund only because I know myself and know I'll probably never get back to it.

So yeah, the Switch has created a weird problem for me.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually had an interesting thing happen to me with this STEAM sale. It made me realize that more than half of the games in my wishlist are indie titles that I'd now much rather play on my Switch.

I even bought Into The Breach and really liked the hour or so I spent with it but after that session, I opted for a refund only because I know myself and know I'll probably never get back to it.

Not really the same, but in my case I've straight up stopped buying indies in other platforms, I just wait until they're released on Switch. Only exceptions are very demanding ones that clearly won't get ported, I guess, but yeah this is a thing now; Switch's just too good.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
While I try to omit the confrontation, seeing the direct allusion to my message, if you want to judge one of my posts, don't be demagogic or populist by taking only a part of the message in the interest of your message.

A quick reply so I stop annoying everybody: you're right, I'm sorry. I misread your post and then I took it out of context when I quoted it. Really, no irony, I'm sorry. If you're still angry, feel free to PM me, but I hope we can be friends because, yes, Elminage is freaking fantastic!

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
A quick reply so I stop annoying everybody: you're right, I'm sorry. I misread your post and then I took it out of context when I quoted it. Really, no irony, I'm sorry. If you're still angry, feel free to PM me, but I hope we can be friends because, yes, Elminage is freaking fantastic!

Hey, don't worry. I take this without irony and as a misunderstanding. Have a great weekend! :)

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Figment on PC when it released, and refunded after 1 hour. The game is pretty, but the story was complete gibberish, movement felt wrong, battles were a slog and not fun at all to me. The only thing I liked was the graphics. I do not recommend buying this or at least watch a few videos first!
Appreciate the feedback. Definitely not worth 20 then. Think I'll put that towards Inside which I've yet to play.

Thanks!

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't it supposed to come out today? Maybe they didn't change the date the pre-purchase download unlocks? After all the game is no longer listed in the store. That also means that what I have may not have the day 1 patch.

Dunno, ithas always been listed for a July 12th in my eshop (still is). Can confirm it doesn't unlock if you prepurchase it in my shop.

Really cool how this worked out for you.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
After having lost any hope of seeing this released in English, I purchased 'Photon3' in the Japanese eShop the last year.

I'm glad to see that the Japanese build has been updated to English with the release of the game in the western countries today.

By the way, the game is a hellish puzzle experience. I consider myself a puzzle freak, playing every puzzle game released in any of my systems. And this is by a large margin the HARDEST puzzle game that I have played in my life.

People have overused the 'Dark Souls' comparison, and damn, I consider 'Dark Souls' as an easy game in comparison with 'Photon3'.

So to say this in a more accurate way: this is the 'Super Hexagon' of puzzle games, played in the Hexagonest difficulty with a monkey shooting you with a gun, while you try to dodge his bullets at the same time.

The game has an impressive sound design, in which every new light will create an additional layer of music. This was the concept that sold me the game.

But it's too damn hard in some of its puzzles if you are trying to achieve the maximum rank that I abandoned frustrated and with a headache, trying to figure all of these color combinations in my stupid brain destroyed by psychedelic games with hexagons and flashing lights.

All of that said, it will be quite interesting to read some impressions of the game by some puzzle connoisseurs to see if simply, I'm an idiot and the game is not as hard.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
Played Bomb Chicken for 20 min or so. It's decent fun so far but I wish I knew more about it before buying it. For some reason I was expecting a more non-linear approach to the game but as far as I can tell it's basically just level based (and the level select shows 29 levels). So far it's basically 3-5 minute levels separated by a "shop" that can increase your maximum life if you 'ever found enough blue gems. Disappointed there but that's my fault.

I can say that it looks nice and the animations are really well done and charming. Movement feels good and the bomb mechanic that's used to attack as well as move vertically is fun. I'm just not yet sure if this has much lasting appeal. Again, grain of salt as i've barely played it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Into the Breach is the best game of 2018 so far. For your sake I hope it comes to Switch.

Played Bomb Chicken for 20 min or so. It's decent fun so far but I wish I knew more about it before buying it. For some reason I was expecting a more non-linear approach to the game but as far as I can tell it's basically just level based (and the level select shows 29 levels). So far it's basically 3-5 minute levels separated by a "shop" that can increase your maximum life if you 'ever found enough blue gems. Disappointed there but that's my fault.

I can say that it looks nice and the animations are really well done and charming. Movement feels good and the bomb mechanic that's used to attack as well as move vertically is fun. I'm just not yet sure if this has much lasting appeal. Again, grain of salt as i've barely played it.
I envy you!

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

I was going to pre-purchase this but I think I'll wait. What you said would have it work out to about a 2.5-3 hour game. That's really short. Hmmm

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

I consider in a similar boat in which I prefer to play every game on Switch.

But with all of that said, there is something wild in Steam if you love indie games that Switch will never be able to offer, in the form of not hundreds, but thousands of weird and experimental games.

I think in my last purchase in this Steam sale' 'Ticket', a 'Wario Ware' take on the platforming genre with some of the most wild and crazy ideas that I have seen integrated in a contemporary game, and that in comparison, it make look games such as 'West of Loathing' or 'Membrane' as traditional and conservative games.

If feels good to spend some money in a collection of these wild games to have extreme experiences that consoles will never be able to offer, and it will give you a better picture of how amazing is the indie scene nowadays.

All of that said, Switch is like your favorite food with its amazing curation of games.

And for people not having the time to explore the deepest and more hidden corners of Steam for discovering these games, it offers an amazing and manageable selection of titles.

And a lot of times I love this safe zone and confort of a curated store, not feeling stressed with losing tens of hours navigating through all the shovelware until you find the hidden gems.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I told ya it was a book!

More than files size, voiceover is expensive.

Your character doesn't heal after every battle because that's all part of the roleplaying and challenge. You have a pretty limited inventory and that includes room for healing items. You can meditate and restore all health, magic and endurance between some battle but at the risk of triggering a battle with no endurance and all magic on cooldown.

The game is all about risk/reward. Every decision you make matters.

I figured the game was really text heavy, but I guess I wasn't expecting such a frontloaded opening. I didn't read thoroughly through your prior comments on the game, as I was determined to buy it once it finally went on sale. Definitely looking forward to putting more time into it though!

You make some valid criticisms but it's clear that you do not understand the battle system if you think this is what's going on.

And that's understandable because neither did I for quite awhile, the game doesn't explain it very well and it takes awhile for the game to really open it up.

So it's a great port of a crappy game.

They should have ported The New Order instead.

I kinda stopped playing my PC copy early on, so I could experience it more on the Switch, odd to say. But yeah, I'm not sure what to think of it from the opening hour, but the port looks phenomenal from IGN footage.

Oh man, I played Has-Been Heroes for 80 or 90 hours. It was in my top 3 of 2017, possibly first even (I find it hard to decide). It's gameplay loop is seriously addictive and it has such an amazing flow once you get used to the gameplay and controls. I just couldn't stop playing and put aside everything else.

Played it after the first patch though, so no idea if that really changed the game.

I played it on release, and it wasn't too different an experience. It doesn't hold your hand much, and once you leave that brief tutorial, if you come back later, you kinda forget the basic flow of game play.

I'm really glad someone dug it though, I know I told Epilexia he'd love it too. It feels like it turns into a strategy based rhythm game once you master that flow. Seriously under appreciated game, kinda how I felt about Codename Steam for the 3DS.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I didn't know Renegade released today... It's kinda bad but I have a soft spot for it, well, for Kunio anyway (I assume the japanese original is included, right?).

By the way, is anybody familiar with Angels of Death? It's clearly an RPG Maker game and looks extremely amateurish, but I don't know, something about it caught my attention.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I didn't know Renegade released today... It's kinda bad but I have a soft spot for it, well, for Kunio anyway (I assume the japanese original is included, right?).

By the way, is anybody familiar with Angels of Death? It's clearly an RPG Maker game and looks extremely amateurish, but I don't know, something about it caught my attention.
Here's the one review of Angels of Death I could find, which sounds quite good - https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/01/06/review-angels-of-death/242080/

That said, I think someone in this thread said they encountered what looked like a bug that stopped their progression at some point, don't know if they overcame it or not.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
See the 2 Anima games are releasing today as well as the collection, Anima: Gate of Memories - Arcane Edition. Been keen to try it since it dropped on PS4 but have never pulled the trigger, it looks like a budget title but could be decent.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
See the 2 Anima games are releasing today as well as the collection, Anima: Gate of Memories - Arcane Edition. Been keen to try it since it dropped on PS4 but have never pulled the trigger, it looks like a budget title but could be decent.
I think they look really interesting. They look kind of like those old "b-games" for PS2 that sometime could be really cool. I'm definitely going to give them a shot after Ys.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Are people having game breaking bug issues with Angels of Death? I'm in the middle of floor B4 and during a dialogue scene, the text and text boxes just stop appearing and you can't progress. I tried reloading and reinstalling the game but to no avail. Help please.

[...]

Here's the one review of Angels of Death I could find, which sounds quite good - https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/01/06/review-angels-of-death/242080/

That said, I think someone in this thread said they encountered what looked like a bug that stopped their progression at some point, don't know if they overcame it or not.

The bug is still there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8uhkic/angels_of_death_has_a_gamebreaking_bug/

The developer is working on it. Fix itself should be fast, but its way through Nintendo may take some time:

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Bomb Chicken looked like a game that would have been a great metroidvania though, it's kinda frustrating that it isn't

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
'Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey' is my favorite JRPG of the last generation, together with the two first entries of 'Etrian Odyssey' and 'Infinite Space'.

I was exactly in the same situation: the only JRPGs that I actually enjoy are those heavily focused in HARD combat systems and in dungeon crawling parts.

Japanese people are wise regarding JRPGs, they invented the genre. And 'Dragon Quest' has always sold better than 'Final Fantasy' for a reason. Because 'Dragon Quest' has its focus in the important things in a JPRG, dungeon crawling parts and interesting combat systems, instead of in childish stories.

So I will say, stay far away of 'Xenoblade Chronicles 2'. One of my greatest disappointments the last year.

An atrocious character design, not only for the over-sexualization of the female characters, this is a big problem of the game, but the minor of its problems regarding the artistic design. Simply, they hired a lot of famous hentai designers to create different characters. And there is a complete inconsistency in the designs of these characters and their color palettes. In one of the first scenes in which all the different characters created by completely different designers appear in the screen at the same time, you will want to pull off your eyes of your face.

The story is childish and the game is full of bugs in how this annoying story is integrated in an open world that supposedly want to give freedom to the player.

In a scene at the start of the game, the major of a city is trying to find you. He has hired a lot of mercenaries, putting a price to your head. I decide to fast travel to his town. I visited his office. He was looking for me. He has put an high price to my head. But if I try to talk with him, he completely ignores this part. And instead of capturing me, he wish me luck in my journey. Ridiculous.

The interface is annoying, with one of the worst UI in a recent game. If you want to increase the master volume of the game, because in portable mode the sound volume is very low, you are forced to count the number of inputs in each slider, increasing the volume in each separate slider to maintain the general mix. Because there is not a slider for the master volume of the game. This speaks volumes of how convoluted and bad is the interface in the game. If Nintendo is famous for the love and care put in every single and subtle detail in their games, 'Xenoblade Chronicles 2' is an insult to their quality control in the past.

And the combat, at least in the 10 first hours of game, is boring as hell. Without deep or strategy, it's all about doing automatized actions, simply pushing a button to attack, with a poorly integrated mechanic inspired in a rhythm game but full of input lag, that at the end, it has zero effect in the combat, because it's all about to increase the stats of your characters.

It's very far away from the incredible well designed combat systems in the most recent Atlus games.

Probably, with a lot of patience, well advanced into the game, there is a fascinating game in 'Xenoblade Chronicles 2' if you can forget the childish and annoying story, the horrible artistic design, the sexualized female characters, and the general lack of polish in every single aspect of the game.

Probably, if you forget the story, surpass the 20 hours of tutorials, you can probably find more strategic combats and a great game hidden in its vast open world.

But honestly, when a game demands more than 20 hours of my time to show some interesting parts, I prefer to better invest my time with a good designed JRPG, or playing again and old entry of 'Dragon Quest', or better wait for some of the incoming dungeon crawlers or Japanese roguelikes coming to Switch.
Thanks for your post, Epilexia. It warms the cockles of my heart that you love Dragon Quest too. I actually have a sealed copy of Infinite Space around here somewhere. Maybe I'll finally open it up and play that.