Does Switch need folders?

• Yes

Votes: 177 35.0%
  • JackNicholsonYes.gif

Votes: 127 25.1%
  • Yes... And themes, don't forget the new themes.

Votes: 212 42.0%
  • I like to live in the chaos.

Votes: 95 18.8%
  • Folder 2: The Dark UI

Votes: 59 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
You can have one multiplatfotm last gen port on Switch. What would it be? Could be a game with a current-gen port like GTA V or a game with no modern port like Red Dead Redemption.

Some titles to consider:

Portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 4
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Ultra Street Fighter IV
XCOM - Enemy Within
Marvel vs Capcom 3
I'd do bad things for a port of the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Ever since I played Pinball FX3 (lovely game btw) I wanted to test the other F2P pinball games and well...

Yikes. 2 of them were WAY too big for what they offer (one was 3GB, the other 1,3gb I believe. You could only play a Frankestein pinball game in both of them). Meanwhile the other was ok at best.

In other news, I've been playing Ghost, and I'm loving it so far. I like the humor and the whole 'If you die say goodbye to almost everything'. However, screw the 1st boss. I think I beat it after 1 hour minimum. I hope the rest of the bosses won't be as annoying as that one.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Are there any quality visual novels I should look for on the Switch? It's been a while since I've played one

Haha, I was actually summoned for this! Nice. Sorry for the late reply. I'm an EU player, just in case the discount I mention doesn't apply:.

Depending on what you consider a visual novel, the Switch either has very slim pickings or quite the array to choose from.
If you're looking for high profile Japanese Visual Novels, those are so far noteably absent from the Switch, at least in the West. There's a release of Steins;Gate ELITE in Japanese, and some other Mages stories have been announced (Robotics;Note), but you'll have to wait a while for them to be released here.
If you also consider Otome (girl dating sims), the ones on the Switch so far are pretty low quality. If your anime bullshit tolerance level is appropriately high, you might enjoy The Men of Yoshiwara - Kikuya and The Charming Empire, since those have voice acting from notable actors and good art going for them at the very least.
There's also Nekopara, where you flirt with cat girls. It's a pretty big IP with several sequels (which is big for a visual novel), but I never bothered to really look into it.

"Western" (=non-japanese) visual novels:
If you consider FMV games as well, Late Shift and The Bunker are fun romps.

Wheels of Aurelia is a fun road trip through 1970s Italy, and currently 50% off, definitely worth it for that price! The driving mechanic is not the most satisfying to put it kindly, and the biggest problem is it's short length, but for half off, I'd give it a shot.
To be fair, I'm a huge fan of the setting and the music, so maybe I'm biased.

Other good picks:

Detention - You venture into a spooky school and confront what haunts you. This one is very good.
Subsurface Circular - You're a detective investigating robot abductions. Awesome.
2064 Read Only Memories - Interesting Sci Fi story, questioning the essence of humanity. Told in a classic point and click adventure game look. Great writing and voice acting, apart from Jim Sterling (sorry, but he's just not good).
A Normal Lost Phone / Lost Phone Stories - Title says it all: You found a strangers phone. Have phone going through their things!

If you prefer a little more gameplay in your visual novels, definitely check out Oxenfree and Night in the Woods, great and spooky stories about a bunch of teenagers and about so much more. I'm particularly fond of Oxenfree, which lets you ignore dialogue prompts as part of your choices (and it just overall very awesome in style and atmosphere).

I've not played it, but I'm also looking forward to "WILL: A Wonderful World", which is by a Chinese developer, and combines light puzzle solving with multiple routes:

Also Death Mark is coming out on October 31, at least in the US (not sure about EU release). It's a very grim and graphic horror story, getting great reviews by people that played it so far and are into the genre.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You can have one multiplatfotm last gen port on Switch. What would it be? Could be a game with a current-gen port like GTA V or a game with no modern port like Red Dead Redemption.

Some titles to consider:

Portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 4
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Ultra Street Fighter IV
XCOM - Enemy Within
Marvel vs Capcom 3

Dragon Age: Origins, probably. (Which would surely mean ports for the other two as well...!)

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, I was actually summoned for this! Nice. Sorry for the late reply. I'm an EU player, just in case the discount I mention doesn't apply:.

Depending on what you consider a visual novel, the Switch either has very slim pickings or quite the array to choose from.
If you're looking for high profile Japanese Visual Novels, those are so far noteably absent from the Switch, at least in the West. There's a release of Steins;Gate ELITE in Japanese, and some other Mages stories have been announced (Robotics;Note), but you'll have to wait a while for them to be released here.
If you also consider Otome (girl dating sims), the ones on the Switch so far are pretty low quality. If your anime bullshit tolerance level is appropriately high, you might enjoy The Men of Yoshiwara - Kikuya and The Charming Empire, since those have voice acting from notable actors and good art going for them at the very least.
There's also Nekopara, where you flirt with cat girls. It's a pretty big IP with several sequels (which is big for a visual novel), but I never bothered to really look into it.

"Western" (=non-japanese) visual novels:
If you consider FMV games as well, Late Shift and The Bunker are fun romps.

Wheels of Aurelia is a fun road trip through 1970s Italy, and currently 50% off, definitely worth it for that price! The driving mechanic is not the most satisfying to put it kindly, and the biggest problem is it's short length, but for half off, I'd give it a shot.
To be fair, I'm a huge fan of the setting and the music, so maybe I'm biased.

Other good picks:

Detention - You venture into a spooky school and confront what haunts you. This one is very good.
Subsurface Circular - You're a detective investigating robot abductions. Awesome.
2064 Read Only Memories - Interesting Sci Fi story, questioning the essence of humanity. Told in a classic point and click adventure game look. Great writing and voice acting, apart from Jim Sterling (sorry, but he's just not good).
A Normal Lost Phone / Lost Phone Stories - Title says it all: You found a strangers phone. Have phone going through their things!

If you prefer a little more gameplay in your visual novels, definitely check out Oxenfree and Night in the Woods, great and spooky stories about a bunch of teenagers and about so much more. I'm particularly fond of Oxenfree, which lets you ignore dialogue prompts as part of your choices (and it just overall very awesome in style and atmosphere).

I've not played it, but I'm also looking forward to "WILL: A Wonderful World", which is by a Chinese developer, and combines light puzzle solving with multiple routes:

Also Death Mark is coming out on October 31, at least in the US (not sure about EU release). It's a very grim and graphic horror story, getting great reviews by people that played it so far and are into the genre.

It's all good. I appreciate you even getting around to responding at all so thanks for that! :)

Yeah, I was mainly thinking of high profile Japanese and indie visual novels. My tolerance to Anime bullshit aren't too high, especially nowadays as I've become more selective with what I play and watch.

Yeah, I was actually interested in going through Steins;Gate. I liked the Anime a lot and only in the past few months learned of the visual novels. I'm personally fine with waiting, on account of my Switch / PS4 backlog, but it's a bit of a shame that its some time off

I'll look into Wheels of Aurelia and Death Mark after work, and the likes of 2064: Read Only Memories were definitely on my wishlist. I sort of forgot the game got a Switch release but I guess now is as good of a time as any to try and get into it when I can

Thanks for the recommendations and lengthy post. It was genuinely helpful

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
'Tumblestone' is at €3.24 in the European eShop, and at this price, it's a steal.

It's one of the finest puzzle games in the system, and it has an insane amount of content.

Only the story mode, with 12 different worlds, it has 40 hours of gameplay, scratching a very similar itch to the 'Picross' series. In the sense that the game is about turn based puzzles with a fixed solution and without random elements.

Every world has a new gimmick, and some of the puzzles are really clever and well designed.

The local competitive multiplayer modes are also superb. It's an ideal game for casual parties with friends who normally don't play videogames.

Indeed, I prefer this to 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' for playing with casual friends.

Don't get me wrong: 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' is a fucking masterpiece. But it's too technical, too fast, they have overcomplicated even the classic 'Tetris' formula with crazy rules, combos, chains and whatnot.

And at the end, 'Puyo Puyo Tetris' requires a lot of practice, learning some of the most advanced techniques. Plus a good player will completely destroy to the rest of people.

I love how 'Tumblestone' is in the opposite spectrum. Most of your friends who don't play videogames, will be able to be competitive and perform well.
I didn't find the demo all that Interesting but for less than 4 euros I think I'll get it, puzzle games is something I can't get enough of.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

Some titles to consider:

Portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 4
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Ultra Street Fighter IV
XCOM - Enemy Within
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Arkham Trilogy.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Hyrule Warriors again. It's a lot of fun. Pretty much the only muso game I like. Haven't tried Fire Emblem Warriors or Warrior's Orochi though (I know Orochi 4 is coming).

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Guys, Yomawari releases on the 26th in Europe, yet there is no sign of its existence on any of Nintendo's sides. Not on eShop, not on Nintendo's homepage, not on Switch news.

What the hell is going on?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

Some titles to consider:

Portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 4
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Ultra Street Fighter IV
XCOM - Enemy Within
Marvel vs Capcom 3

X-Com
Fallout New Vegas close behind

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
do you prefer it over the others? (have not played either of them, I'm just always curious when someone goes to bat for the dead horse everyone's been beating while already down)

No, I prefer Black & 2 over 3. I bought 3 first on PS3 before getting 3 Razors Edge on Wii U.

What happened was that they released 3 first. That wasn't very good. Then they released the 'Razors Edge' updated version of 3 which cleaned up a lot of errors they made with the first release of 3.

Razors Edge is really not that bad. It's predictable and as generic as they come but the combat is solid. Some silly locations and boss fights though. Also it should be quite cheap on Wii U now, even though that version is published by Nintendo.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how much bigger a release Starlink is for Switch owners than PS4 and XB1 owners simply due to the amount of high-profile AAA multiplats releasing on the other consoles around the same time.

Smart of Ubi to do the Star Fox tie-in.

Just for fun, let's just look PS4 vs Switch for October AA-AAA releases.

PS4
Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise
WWE 2k19
AC Odyssey
Call of Duty BLOPS4
Warriors Orochi 4
Starlink
Soul Calibur VI
Dark Souls Trilogy
Disgaea 1 Complete
Resonance of Fate 4k
Just Dance 2019
Red Dead Redemption 2
Call of Cthulhu
Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far
NBA Playgrounds 2
Lego DC Villians

Switch
TWEWY
Super Mario Party
Disgaea 1 Complete
Valkyria Chronicles 1
Warriors Orochi 4
Starlink
Dark Souls Remastered
Just Dance 2019
NBA Playgrounds 2
Lego DC Villians

Switch only has 2 games in those lists that aren't releasing on PS4 where as PS4 has 8 games that aren't releasing on Switch (discounting delayed ports and re-releases like DS Trilogy).

That's just October. Don't get me wrong, the Switch has a shitload of quality releases, I'm just talking about the higher-profile AA-AAA stuff.

Switch's weaker hardware really sucks sometimes. I'd kill for RDR2 on Switch even with severe graphical downgrades. But I have a PS4 so that's not a problem. Meanwhile, I'm extremely disappointed that I'm going to have to get Mark of the Ninja on PS4 because that 30fps hit on Switch is a deal breaker.

Also, where's that long rumoured GTA V port? Rockstar is sitting on a truckload of cash by not releasing ports of GTA V and RDR 1.

I'm also really surprised we haven't had port announcements of the many remasters from last gen. Batman Arkham, Bioshock Collection, Dishonored, etc.

I would have thought Bethesda would at least bring over Dishonored.

Now is the time for these ports. The Switch release calendar/library is full of holes when it comes to these types of games.

There was a time where this would have bothered me, but no more. I vastly prefer the types of games Switch receives over the other platforms (sans PC, which is full of awesome stuff). I have a PS4 for the handful of AAA titles I want to play each year and I own an XB1 for....BC, I guess? Switch gets tons of PC/Steam ports that the other systems either receive much later or never get at all. Switch is such a great device that differentiates itself and I don't miss 99% of the AAAs it lacks. And the 1% I absolutely have to play, I grab for PS4, like the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake.

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I just want to say that Ninjin has one of the best Eshop demos ever.

5 levels that you can replay as much as you want, lots of swords to buy, hilarious writting, satisfying combat, a corgi as a shopkeeper

Just tried it out yesterday since I'm personally obligated to download every single demo that pops up on the eShop. lol

Yeah, this one really impressed me and I knew very little about it before I played. Ticks all the right boxes. I'm sure it's worth its current $11 asking price but I'll definitely consider a purchase if it drops a little more. Tetra's Escape also has a nice new demo that sold me on the game when I otherwise would've overlooked it.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Are you enjoying it? Would you recommend it?

I didn't give my opinion because I have only played what are basically tutorial levels. I like the idea of it, but I can't really say anything about the quality of the real levels.

What I've seen seems to be fine for puzzle fans that don't care about story (and a crummy localization). I suspect it will get extremely hard later on and with 17 houses (+3 tutorial houses) to puzzle your way through there seems to be enough content-wise.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...Romancing Saga 2 is discounted right now on every platform but Switch.

Sometimes I loathe the eShop.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...Romancing Saga 2 is discounted right now on every platform but Switch.

Sometimes I loathe the eShop.
When did that Sale go up? It wasn't on the Xbox yesterday.

Just checked and yeah its not on sale everywhere, just psn and steam.

Remember sales are usuall publisher/dev dependent on the eshop. Not sure why SE wouldn't put the sale elsewhere, or it is coming this week

Last edited:

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Given how well portable ports of prior versions of it worked, Ultra Street Fighter 4 is an easy choice. It's an incredibly good fighter that would function well on the Switch and could very well serve to have a revival through the system. The system has already proven to be a solid home for fighters, so why not go with a major mainstream success story?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Used some gold money to buy Ghost 1.0 on the EU sale for the bargain price. It's a really really well made game! However, I thought (for some reason) it was a metroidvania, but it's not. It's a RPG with veeery light metroidvania elements. I have played a few hours now (got all the green door key parts) in "Classic" mode and I'm really enjoying it.

I didn't find the demo all that Interesting but for less than 4 euros I think I'll get it, puzzle games is something I can't get enough of.

I don't know how the Tumblestone demo is, but I love the actual game (best local vs puzzle game IMO). Note that new mechanics unlock in single player on each world (IIRC, it's at the middle of each world or something). Sometimes, these new mechanics make the puzzles harder, sometimes they become easier to solve. It really depends on how they are used in the puzzle.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
I bought Yonder last night, after hearing about it in this thread and watching some videos. I played it for a couple hours before bed and I have to say it is one of the most relaxing games I've played in a while. I like it a lot so far, besides the occasional frame rate hiccup, and I think it'll be my bedtime game for a while.

Thanks for the heads-up on it!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Any good Picross games available??
Pretty much all the Picross games released by Jupiter have been consistently good. There's 3 of them on the Switch at the moment: S, S2, & Kemono Friends (why we got another licensed Picross after Hello Kitty, I have no idea). Just note that they only have button controls, if you're one who uses the touch screen like with the 3DS Picross titles.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Any good Picross games available??

Is there such a thing as a "bad" Picross game? ;)

Your options on Switch:
• Picross S ($8)
• Picross S2 ($9)
• Kemono Friends Picross ($10)
• Pic-a-Pix Deluxe ($8)

And no upcoming releases at the moment that I'm aware of.

Also, not on Switch, but Konami just released their own Picross clone for smartphones, Pixel Puzzle Collection, and it's completely free: https://www.konami.com/games/ca/en/products/pixelpuzzle/

Oct 25, 2017

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, do the wii titles for WiiU ever go on sale? Wanna complete my collection with some DKCR

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all the Picross games released by Jupiter have been consistently good. There's 3 of them on the Switch at the moment: S, S2, & Kemono Friends (why we got another licensed Picross after Hello Kitty, I have no idea). Just note that they only have button controls, if you're one who uses the touch screen like with the 3DS Picross titles.

Is there such a thing as a "bad" Picross game? ;)

Your options on Switch:
• Picross S ($8)
• Picross S2 ($9)
• Kemono Friends Picross ($10)
• Pic-a-Pix Deluxe ($8)

And no upcoming releases at the moment that I'm aware of.

Also, not on Switch, but Konami just released their own Picross clone for smartphones, Pixel Puzzle Collection, and it's completely free: https://www.konami.com/games/ca/en/products/pixelpuzzle/

There are a few new potential employees, but that's all I've seen so far.

S and S2 are great, but man, I wish this new Konami Pixel Puzzle game would come to Switch. The touch controls are fantastic. When you put all the colored squares into a line and then the rest of it X'es out, it feels so good somehow.

Glad to see Kemono Friends is good. Flying to Japan and the cute Manga look seems fitting! I'll snag that!

centracore

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Valkyria Chronicles is coming out tomorrow as in midnight tonight or tomorrow during the day some time?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person Googling "sega ages phantasy star switch" every day. But goddammit gimme a release date Sega.

Where... is... Phantasy Staaaaaar?!
giphy.gif

Need Sega Ages phantasy Star

Another Thursday passes with no Phantasy Star in sight.

HOW LONG MUST I BE MADE TO SUFFER

So, Sega Ages Phantasy Star...was hoping to see a western release sometime soon. Anybody know what's up with that?

Can I get Phantasy Star soon please.

I check the Japanese page daily for a release date for this. :<

so no word on phantasy star yet?

giphy.gif

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017

Some titles to consider:

Portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 4
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Ultra Street Fighter IV
XCOM - Enemy Within
Marvel vs Capcom 3

MGS HD Collection

220px-MGS_HD_NA_Boxart_X360.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

Some titles to consider:

Portal 2
Fallout New Vegas
Arkham Asylum
Battlefield 4
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Ultra Street Fighter IV
XCOM - Enemy Within
Marvel vs Capcom 3

Fallout: New Vegas is the best game ever made for my money, so Fallout: NV Ultimate Edition gets my vote.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout: New Vegas is the best game ever made for my money, so Fallout: NV Ultimate Edition gets my vote.
It's my number 1, too.

I'm probably going to cave and buy Skyrim on Switch even though I'm not a big fan because it's the closest thing there is. At least I only put 15ish hours into Skyrim on PS3.

But man, I put 100+ hours each into Fallout 3 and New Vegas and I'd be happy to do it again.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ninjin: Clash of Carrots is one of the few indie games on Switch that is considerably more expensive on the Mexican eShop than the American.

Usually the price variance is within $2, plus or minus.

Ninjin is $14.99 USD. In Mexico Ninjin is 399.99, which is $21.14 USD.

Usually the only people who get flak for taking advantage of regional pricing Americans. I wouldn't fault anyone for grabbing the US version of Ninjin while it's on sale for $11.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where the heck is that last Darkest Dungeon expansion? :(

oh wait, just saw it came out on the 11th. woohoo.