• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
They're talking to their shareholders here in the meeting, not to the consumers in those reports. People should already know that the entire lineup of Nintendo consoles isn't entire revealed until september, every year it's the same thing.

I know that we as hardcore for some reason need to know everything all the time but there's no reason for most people that buys video game to be like that. Just the release of it in the market when they know that it's coming and there's that. There's no such worry.
There's lot of reasons why they should announce it sooner but since they were talking to shareholders they should absolutely temper expectations with shareholders because when something big doesn't pan out it could cause an even bigger drop in shareholder confidence.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash and Pokémon will certainly help them reach their 20m target but they won't do much for people who bought their Switch for games like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey.

And why those people are more important than others? Each year a different consumer base and fans has it's focus. It's not going to be on the same thing every year, other tastes and franchises needs to be covered.

People that bought a Switch for BOTW and Odyssey had only two games like that last year and with that ignoring the majority part of the titles so I don't know how this is a strong argument too.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool to hear.

I've already purchased one so I won't be contributing anything towards this ultimately.

Oct 27, 2017
If there is more then I guess late October could be possible for one semi-major release but what?

Was Yoshi confirmed delayed into 2019?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's lot of reasons why they should announce it sooner but since they were talking to shareholders they should absolutely temper expectations with shareholders because when something big doesn't pan out it could cause an even bigger drop in shareholder confidence.

Yeah, maybe they have their own reasons to not announce it. I think they probably know what is happening in the company more than me or you in that regard and why they choose this path every year. Even more because they have a thing called direct that they can announce content.

And of course, they'll just announce or do a direct when they think it's ready, not because of fan pressure in the internet or people talking in reddit, youtube or forums. There's no such thing.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are some games to announce from 3rd parties or otherwise, but he says "products" so I assume that could mean anything.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too late Nintendo... if you didn't bring yer A-game to E3... everything else is null and void the rest of the year, perhaps until next E3 according to some people.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Imagine, 20 million more Switches and not one additional person will get to experience RPG of the decade Tokyo Madonna Sessions.

gL2LUA7.gif

Until it's ported, the Flop U RETAINS its value.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
More games? There is still chance for Metroid Prime Trilogy port and also an HD version of Yoshi's Story whilst we await Yoshi Switch.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
If it was big stuff they would have shown at E3, considering their Direct was so empty. I'm fully content with how the year is planned out, nothing amazing, but it's okay - but I won't board this train, because I don't want more disappointment. Here's to a great 2019!

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They only have Smash Bros and Pokemon, there's absolutely no way they'll hit 20 million by the end of fiscal year. /s
Is this the new 'pokemon will sell millions without you' reference?
Of course they need to put a show, after that horrible E3. Hope for more directs too.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Weird if it's much at all.

They had ample space at e3 they could've used, avoiding negativity and still having an under 6 months announcement-launch interval.

Also the first quarter in 2019...

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And why those people are more important than others? Each year a different consumer base and fans has it's focus. It's not going to be on the same thing every year, other tastes and franchises needs to be covered.

People that bought a Switch for BOTW and Odyssey had only two games like that last year and with that ignoring the majority part of the titles so I don't know how this is a strong argument too.

They aren't more important. They are as important. As a platform holder, Nintendo has a responsibility towards the people that bought their system. If they can't deliver a somewhat steady stream of releases that fit their audience's tastes, they've failed. This is even more true in the case of Nintendo and the Switch where they are missing out on significant third party software.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Who was the member asking for a one year ban bet about Nintendo not selling 20 million Switches this FY? Did anything come of it?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'm not talking about Nintendo only.
Do we seriously think there aren't going to be any third-party games in October? Especially now where we've reached a "more games each week than in any of Switch's early months" release pace?

Imagine this kind of secretive/weasely behavior from Sony. You'd think they have a failing product on their hands.

This is basically how I felt about Sony the last two E3s.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Imagine this kind of secretive/weasely behavior from Sony. You'd think they have a failing product on their hands.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a huge hole in October. Mario Party is early October. Games have to fill it.

There's 3 games on 16 and Just Dance at the end of the month so yeah, if by retail titles it kinda have.

Too late Nintendo... if you didn't bring yer A-game to E3... everything else is null and void the rest of the year, perhaps until next E3 according to some people.

It was there, it was Super Mario Party. The S-game were Smash and Pokémon. Either way, I doubt that the end of the year will be null and void both for them and to consumers.

And a game not announced at E3 don't mean really anything. lol

Apr 21, 2018
The Pokemon/Smash combo (with Mario Party and Starlink as appetizers) will combine with what has been sold to get them past 20 million itself.

I'm predicting the last minute 2018 announcement is Nintendogs. Simple enough to not need months of info hyping it up, blue ocean enough to notably contribute to HW sales.

I had never even considered them bringing Nintendogs back on the Switch, but that is a great idea.

I'm more of the thinking they will have a few WiiU remasters to sprinkle in. They announce them pretty close to release. I can see 3D World hitting late in the year with Wonderful 101 or Tokyo Marriage Sessions in Q1. If we are lucky we can hope for an announcement of a lucrative port like GTAV for Q1 too. All of this would certainly help.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I cant imagine it being something big except for maybe a surprise GTAV announcement.

There's a lot of stuff rumored yet missing. Mario U port, Diablo 3, Castlevania collection would be nce fillers. Maybe a surprise Resident Evil 5 announcement and hopefully Divinity 2. There's also the february and march slot where we have no announced games yet.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't more important. They are as important. As a platform holder, Nintendo has a responsibility towards the people that bought their system. If they can't deliver a somewhat steady stream of releases that fit their audience's tastes, they've failed. This is even more true in the case of Nintendo and the Switch where they are missing out on significant third party software.

So they'll fail every year by this nonsense because Nintendo isn't a company that makes those types of games in their pipeline and the majority of their franchises and employees don't make or tries to do something like that. If a person only bought it for this type of games, it's time to sell the console because it won't happen every year and don't need to.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Panic Button is announcing their game this month. Hoping that means it's part of a Nintendo Direct this month.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash and Pokémon will certainly help them reach their 20m target but they won't do much for people who bought their Switch for games like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey.
Uh, I'm pretty sure many people who bought the Switch for Mario or Zelda are excited for Smash and Pokemon. Those are Nintendo's 4 biggest properties.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

The shareholder confidence wasn't a big drop at all this year, if you look at the approval ratings of the managers.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No game will do it for those people. No game is like Odyssey or BotW and successors for these games take a lot of time. Expecting genre defining masterpieces every year from the same company, or even multiple of such games is ridiculous. Other publishers haven't released a single game this entire gen yet.
Sure, I'd love for them to bring Prime 4 as quickly as possible for example, but expecting these games all the time makes no sense. They can't cater to everyone 100% of the time. They have a Pokemon game and one of their biggest selling multiplayer games this year. That's enough for one holiday.
I played Bayonetta, Donkey Kong and Hollow Knight so far, and I'm looking forward to Octopath Traveler and Captain Toad. Calling all of that stuff lackluster or them having problems makes, again, no sense to me.
Panic Button is announcing their game this month. Hoping that means it's part of a Nintendo Direct this month.
That would be cool. I hope it's Prime Trilogy and not fucking Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone think the N64 Mini is still coming? If it is it has to be announced this week or next week the latest.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Lol huh? What do you mean ?
They announce one new 2018 game at E3, bringing the total of 2018 Q3-4 games to three. And these are 3 rather tame games for the core gamer. Mario Party and Smash feel iterative (though obv. will be great fun), while Pokemon is developed for the casual/non-gamer audience.
In response, consumers and 'experts' on the 'net are clearly disappointed with the 2018 line-up. To influence the conversation, the CEO (as well as Reggie last week) teases 'more to come'. But the fact is that if that were anything worthy of hype it'd been announced by the time E3 was over. Thus what Nintendo's actually doing is silencing us (don't complain, you don't know what's coming) until the end of the year, when they'll be better able to actually hype us for some games coming in 2019 that are actually really interesting to us, such as the new Metroid and the new Fire Emblem, which'll probably feel less iterative than this year's Smash and Mario Party.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the new 'pokemon will sell millions without you' reference?
Of course they need to put a show, after that horrible E3. Hope for more directs too.

They really don't need to do anything because some people in the internet are overreacting. The market is bigger than those people and the same is true for the audience.

Who was the member asking for a one year ban bet about Nintendo not selling 20 million Switches this FY? Did anything come of it?

Nothing.

People in doubt don't understand the difference between fiscal year and 2018.

There's that too. It ends in march of 2019 so he's referring to that as well.