• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
2018 walked so 2019 and 2020 could run 😢
2018:
limit6xf9b.jpg

2019:
tumblr_nxq6zofry41sg21p1o3_400.gif

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weibo (Chinese twitter) https://m.weibo.cn/status/4324727025768662?
https://bbs.saraba1st.com/2b/thread-1802071-1-1.html
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5997597743

People on Chinese forum do not know how to distinguish rumors from different places. So if something fishy turns out to be wrong (like from 4chan), they refuse to believe everything.

Thanks for the links. Some funny comments in there.

Think my weibo will finally blow up if I go drop some knowledge on them?

Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn't say LGPE looks like a smartphone game but it's always felt like a 3DS port. There is nothing in that game that can only be done on the Switch. All the motion controls are doable on the 3DS. But I think this is digressing...

ShonenSalto

Jan 4, 2019
I wanted to ask only two things to king zell:
-What should we expect about the new Fire Emblem? Is surprising how Nintendo isn't giving it any promotion unlike previous 3 games.
-What should we expect about Smash DLCs? Seems second one is very likely to be Edrick from Dragon Quest. Are all DLC going to come from non-Nintendo parties?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting. It does have smartphone game look to me.
not only the look, but think about how simplified the controls are, you can basically play with 1 stick and 1 (or is it 2?) button, and motion controls. that would be very easy to replicate on mobile.
but i don't know if that was a smart move by nintendo, the games would have probably made a fuckton more money as mobile games with IAPs.

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
-What should we expect about the new Fire Emblem? Is surprising how Nintendo isn't giving it any promotion unlike previous 3 games.
-What should we expect about Smash DLCs? Seems second one is very likely to be Edrick from Dragon Quest. Are all DLC going to come from non-Nintendo parties?

Just to be clear guys, i only post stuff that i heard, so asking me about other stuff that i didnt talk about means i know nothing about it.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not King Zell, but Fire Emblem Fates was first revealed back in January 2015, and released in Japan June 23, 2015. The same goes for FE: Shadows of Valentia, which wasn't known until Jan 2017, and released May 2017.

Edit: Not saying there is a pattern, but who knows.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
not only the look, but think about how simplified the controls are, you can basically play with 1 stick and 1 (or is it 2?) button, and motion controls. that would be very easy to replicate on mobile.
but i don't know if that was a smart move by nintendo, the games would have probably made a fuckton more money as mobile games with IAPs.
Switch is the priority and Let's Go pushed hardware sales quite hard before Smash. I think it was the right move and I believe it brought a lot of new fan that could enjoy the future entry.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite. While it's true they only had a portion of their internal staff working on XC2, with the help of outsource devs, a large chunk of their studio was also helping with Zelda, and had some involvement in Splatoon 2(iirc). Whatever it is, it started sometime during 2017, and you should assume at least 3 years dev time for their next project.

I know they helped on Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon 2. That said, they do have a second studio that is devoted to asset creation. Do we know they had their entire workforce on Xenoblade 2 and helping on other projects?

Even if they did have their remaining staff helping on other Switch projects like Zelda/Splatoon we could still see their project sooner than some think. Zelda launched in March and Splatoon in June. Both should have been completely wrapped up in early 2017. That staff may have started a new project at that time, meaning it's had 2 years Development time very soon. It could easily be ready to show some time later this year, which means we would still see it sooner than a lot of people believe.

Like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath but I do think it's possible we see it sooner than some believe (I think most believe we won't see it until mid/second half of 2020 to be clear).

Edit: Splatoon 2 launches in July.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
And guys, if you liked BOTW you will like next year ..... and am out

I heard the same thing, there was a talk that Nintendo wants every big release from them be like BOTW and Odyssey and Pokemon Gen8 was supposed to be released in 2018 but they gave it more time.

So could that mean more than one big single player game coming? Any word on if Retro's 2nd project is dead or not...

That's been, IMO, one of Nintendo's biggest gaps in their library for the last several years, story driven or action adventure games. They have plenty of 2d/3d platfomers, multiplayer games, jrpgs, and even the more niche titles like hack n slash (warriors) and spectacle fighters. But for story driven games it's just Zelda, (I can't even count Metroid cause it's hardly a regular entry).

Hope they got more story driven stuff in the pipeline (besides monolith).

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that Pokemon line is probably going to cause some problems lol

A 2D Zelda game would be great.

I don't think any of this is true.

In GPU terms Switch in handheld mode is about 35x the 3DS's GPU (76x in docked mode) and that's not accounting for the huge leap in architectural improvements in terms of third party engine and modern effects support that Switch has over 3DS. In docked mode it really isn't far off a 100x leap, all things considered. 240p to 1080p in terms of image quality improvements in some cases too.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is the priority and Let's Go pushed hardware sales quite hard before Smash. I think it was the right move and I believe it brought a lot of new fan that could enjoy the future entry.
i know, just saying a proper pokemon adventure on mobile would have made a lot of money. i'm not mad tho, not a big fan of mobile games.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
If the trilogy being teased is Metroid then they'd have to show some MP4 footage as well. I mean, I'd personally riot if all we saw from Metroid was some remaster and they kept the mystery going on with MP4.

Then again, the King didn't say it's going to be shown in the January Direct, only that there's a trilogy coming. I believe MPT and MP4 will be announced at the same time, most likely at E3.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the trilogy being teased is Metroid then they'd have to show some MP4 footage as well. I mean, I'd personally riot if all we saw from Metroid was some remaster and they kept the mystery going on with MP4.

Then again, the King didn't say it's going to be shown in the January Direct, only that there's a trilogy coming. I believe MPT and MP4 will be announced at the same time, most likely at E3.
there's nothing more effective to promote the trilogy and hype people up than showing some 4 footage right after they announce the trilogy.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I still believe it's far too early for Monolith Soft's new IP to be shown this year. It's been a little less than 1.5 years since they went into full-scale production.

Besides, Nintendo has enough 2019 games to show off for the rest of the year. I think we can expect to see it in January 2020 at the earliest.

Monolith is a workhorse studio, really well run. Just think about what they've done in the last 3 years. Xenoblade X, Xenoblade 2, Torna, that Project X game (3ds), and then all the assist work on games like BOTW, Animal Crossing, Splatoon 2.

So with all the expansions they've had and money being thrown at them, I don't doubt they can push stuff out quicker.

the only way that can be true is if like 5 other studios are helping game freak

holy shit yes!

Pokemon switch, could've started work on as early as 2015, and they certainly have the money for any help needed.

They have nothing dated beyond NSMBU Deluxe. They want to sell 20m Switch units before the end of the FY, which ends in March. I think it is pretty clear they have to show software from 1st and 3rd party studios and date some stuff between Jan 11 and March 31 to keep sales momentum in their favor. Back in 2017 it was said that 2019 would be the year Switch saw stronger 3rd party support & now would be the time for more Switch projects to see release.

They can't have a minor Direct that doesn't have significant software shown. Expecting any less than a proper Direct would be silly.

I don't think they can do much towards their HW situation, the big selling season is already over now. At best what they can do is try to bolster software numbers, and my guess, the reason we're seeing discounts left and right for games normally never discounted is that.

It's gonna be a big direct I agree with that but the strategy will probably stay the same. January is important for both investors and consumers to outline the first half of the year, and like you said we have no dates. But it's definitely looking packed, since they started their announcements in September.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
So this thread exploded overnight and most people now seem to agree that 2018 was at the very least pedestrian. How things change...

Two people are not "most people" and these are basically the same persons that have been saying it the whole year (just like you).

I still disagree that it was a bad year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.