• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Y'all know that pushblox is gonna be the MVP for February when it gets shadow dropped after the Feb direct.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo decided to do spin-offs of existing Nintendo franchises into the following genres which ones would you pick:

MOBA: Pokemon
Card Game: Animal Crossing
2D Fighting: Fire Emblem
Turn-based RPG: Kid Icarus
Battle Royale: Zelda

I can't say no to an ArcSys FE fighter. Or a crossover, like Fire Emblem vs Soul Calibur.

On the other hand, I'm a sucker for card games. AC card game sounds interesting but you've got to be some evil bastard to make that cute animals have at each other.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of Grezzo, what was the common speculation around here for their "Make a Legend 2" job listing? I don't think it was Luigi's Mansion 3DS, since they were looking for people with Unreal Engine experience.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
'TW101 bombed, so we're not going to green light a sequel, but I got you on that New IP homie. We'll even announce it during the E3 presentation this time' - Furukawa

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I was hoping Zelda 2 remake.
I do think it'll be another Zelda remake (since "Make a Legend" was for Majora's Mask 3D), but we'll have to wait and see which game it is.

Maybe FightingAloyTeam is right, and Greezo IS working on 2D Zelda in the form of a Link's Awakening remake or something. Who knows.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm just saying, put the 2D team on Aonuma's theif idea and outsource a new 2D Zelda to Grezzo or someone. Grezzo's competant enough, especially with oversight.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
'TW101 bombed, so we're not going to green light a sequel, but I got you on that New IP homie. We'll even announce it during the E3 presentation this time' - Furukawa
I would trust Nintendo to know that any game released on Wii U bombed because of the console. (and also because w101 was released the same week as GTAV for some nonsensical reason)

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Kamiya IP for the Switch is even more hype inducing that Bayo 3.

I just can't see it as a new IP. I really think this is another Star Fox GP situation, with Nintendo giving Kamiya a Nintendo IP that either hasn't had much success in recent years or has been dormant for a long while.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I would trust Nintendo to know that any game released on Wii U bombed because of the console. (and also because w101 was released the same week as GTAV for some nonsensical reason)

They also showed it in a rough state, not at a conference, with a code name, around a year before it would release. A roadmap they then walked down similarly with the likes of Steam, Ever Oasis, and Sushi and have gotten a similar result each time. It's baffling.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
HOLD ON A SECOND THERE

Did one of those post suggest Kamiya's project is not only a new IP... but this game being an action character game a la DMC V or Bayonetta? Because oh booooy
Hasn't Kamiya basically only made character action games? Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Okami, etc.? Scalebound (may it rest in peace) seemed to be a game in that vein as well. I would be surprised if Kamiya's new rumored IP is anything else.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Guessing this new game Kamiya is making is the one they're saying is "going to turn the action genre on it's head."

Nintendo seemingly getting their hands on it is a pretty big deal.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more curious if Platinum is retaining IP ownership, or I'd the IP will belong to Nintendo.

Oct 30, 2017
Platinum will co-own it with Nintendo. same thing happened with Wonderful 101
Nintendo will own half is what it should be. This is how Nintendo operates.

I've always wondered about this, but how does PlatinumGames co-own The Wonderful 101 and other games they develop? Considering they're just an independent studio, I feel like they don't really have that much power to take ownership of a particular intellectual property, so they have to have a publisher do it for them. Plus, I thought that whichever company greenlit and published the game, they own the IP, and in this case, Nintendo should own The Wonderful 101 IP solely—the game was conceived as a Nintendo All-Stars game even—especially since they own the trademark.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I thought the whole purpose of them suddenly parading in interviews about making all these new IPs was because it would strengthen their value as a studio by owning those IPs instead of making them for other companies

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered about this, but how does PlatinumGames co-own The Wonderful 101 and other games they develop? Considering they're just an independent studio, I feel like they don't really have that much power to take ownership of a particular intellectual property, so they have to have a publisher do it for them. Plus, I thought that whichever company greenlit and published the game, they own the IP, and in this case, Nintendo should own The Wonderful 101 IP solely—the game was conceived as a Nintendo All-Stars game even—especially since they own the trademark.
It's just how Nintendo works. They don't bother with full ownership, but it at least means the dev can't take the IP elsewhere. But I guess if the dev wants a sequel and can secure funding somehow, it just means another exclusive for Nintendo

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
yeah definitely Pokemon but they will release something else as well.
Nintendo survived with one tentpole release for the holidays in 2017, relying on Super Mario Odyssey to push units. Of course Nintendo will have more titles than just Pokemon, but they only need Pokemon as the game that actually moves systems. 2018 was an anomaly. Ideally, Smash would have launched in the fall or the summer, but Bandai Namco was barely able to make a December release for Smash as is.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
Nintendo survived with one tentpole release for the holidays in 2017, relying on Super Mario Odyssey to push units. Of course Nintendo will have more titles than just Pokemon, but they only need Pokemon as the game that actually moves systems. 2018 was an anomaly. Ideally, Smash would have launched in the fall or the summer, but Bandai Namco was barely able to make a December release for Smash as is.

im just saying in my honest opinion they are going to announce something other than pokemon to move harcware. 2019 and 2020 should be this consoles biggest years

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
im just saying in my honest opinion they are going to announce something other than pokemon to move harcware. 2019 and 2020 should be this consoles biggest years
That's possible, but looking at what titles Nintendo has already announced and what is currently rumored, the only game that I can see releasing for the holidays as a system seller of sorts is Luigi's Mansion 3 or 2D Zelda. Nintendo are the kings of left field, though. They could always pull a hot one on us and reveal Super Mario Maker 2 or something for the holiday season.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
That's possible, but looking at what titles Nintendo has already announced and what is currently rumored, the only game that I can see releasing for the holidays as a system seller of sorts is Luigi's Mansion 3 or 2D Zelda. Nintendo are the kings of left field, though. They could always pull a hot one on us and reveal Super Mario Maker 2 or something for the holiday season.

thats exactly what im talking about, something out of nowhere, like mario maker 2 etc. they are not going to enter e3 showing off metroid and 2d zelda. there is something bigger out there and i cant wait to see what it is :)

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I still think we should expect at least 3 New IP from Nintendo this year, at least one of them coming from EPD.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I still think we should expect at least 3 New IP from Nintendo this year, at least one of them coming from EPD.
From where? One from Platinum Games is expected, but the other two? Retro Studios? Since the studio was formed, they have exclusively worked on established Nintendo IPs. Why would that change now? From EAD? Sure, that's possible, but I don't see why you're so confident that it will happen.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
At least 3? That seems pretty optimistic. Last year we only got two (Labo and Sushi Strikers). I guess I could see two happening this year (one of them being the rumored Platinum game) but i'm not sure about three.

It doesn't help that EPD's release squedule is more packed this year in comparison to last year. Beyond Labo, we have Animal Crossing and 2D Zelda coming from them, and i'm sure we'll see something else from them (maybe Mario Maker, Pikmin 4 or Wave Race).

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
From where? One from Platinum Games is expected, but the other two? Retro Studios? Since the studio was formed, they have exclusively worked on established Nintendo IPs. Why would that change now? From EAD? Sure, that's possible, but I don't see why you're so confident that it will happen.

I think its because Nintendo has found its creative groove again with the Switch. In less than 2 years, we got 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Snipperclips, Nintendo Labo, and Sushi Striker. That, combined with the Switch seeing Nintendo's highest software sales in years, really makes them more confident in taking risks with their games now since at least some audience within the Switch's rapidly growing user-base will pick them up.

At least 3? That seems pretty optimistic. Last year we only got two (Labo and Sushi Strikers). I guess I could see two happening this year (one of them being the rumored Platinum game) but i'm not sure about three.

2017 had 3. ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, 4 if you count Ever Oasis. It's not impossible.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So, a couple people in this thread have pointed out how they think Nintendo is purposely trying to cater to the 3DS audience this year with new releases (with stuff like Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, 2D Zelda and Pokemon), but...

will we see the third Tomodachi game this year? While it seems like Nintendo is mostly retiring the Mii-based games with the Switch, I think this one will be the exception.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
So, a couple people in this thread have pointed out how they think Nintendo is purposely trying to cater to the 3DS audience this year with new releases (with stuff like Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, 2D Zelda and Pokemon),

I never really got that impression TBH. While the Switch inherits characteristics of Nintendo's handheld platforms, the hybrid nature of the system means that there's no longer a need to make "handheld" or "console" style games because games on the Switch can be optimized for both home and portable play. Look at Mario Odyssey for example, sure it's a fun game to binge for hours in front of a TV, but you can also enjoy it just as much in short-form play sessions as well. I imagine this is how all of Nintendo's Switch games will be designed.

I'd go as far as to say that conceptually, the Switch is better than a conventional handheld because you get both the creativity and digestibility of a mobile game, with scale and gameplay of console titles.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
So, a couple people in this thread have pointed out how they think Nintendo is purposely trying to cater to the 3DS audience this year with new releases (with stuff like Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, 2D Zelda and Pokemon), but...

will we see the third Tomodachi game this year? While it seems like Nintendo is mostly retiring the Mii-based games with the Switch, I think this one will be the exception.
I'd be surprised if another Tomodachi Life game isn't in development for Switch. I really hope one is, at least. And if it is, I hope it salvages a bunch of assets from Miitomo so all those Mii outfits aren't just lost forever...

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Problem is, you can't bang out something like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey in a year, let alone two years. A lot of people bought the Switch for BotW at launch, but games like those take too much work to make, no matter how many people you hire. I remember reading that Ubisoft has something around 800 people working on an Assasin's Creed title at any given moment.

Of course you can't but that's why I said that they had well over a decade to work on this. They could have bought studios, expanded Retro, rebuilt NST... but they didn't. This isn't really about Nintendo doing well or not, it's about having breadth in content and the flexibility to react to unforeseen events. It's not that they haven't done anything but it still feels like they're in a transitional phase where they're only slowly making sure that they have a consistent lineup throughout the year. 2018 was very light on new content. The delay of Yoshi and Fire Emblem was definitely felt and if those had been released last year, they'd be missing in 2019. It's gonna be interesting to see their lineups for 2020 and onwards.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course you can't but that's why I said that they had well over a decade to work on this. They could have bought studios, expanded Retro, rebuilt NST... but they didn't. This isn't really about Nintendo doing well or not, it's about having breadth in content and the flexibility to react to unforeseen events. It's not that they haven't done anything but it still feels like they're in a transitional phase where they're only slowly making sure that they have a consistent lineup throughout the year. 2018 was very light on new content. The delay of Yoshi and Fire Emblem was definitely felt and if those had been released last year, they'd be missing in 2019. It's gonna be interesting to see their lineups for 2020 and onwards.
I agree, but this is only a problem for Nintendo because of their poor third party support (a situation entirely of their own making).

However third party support seems to be picking up in a meaningful way (also a situation entirely of Nintendo's making!) so Nintendo's slowed pipeline won't be so much of an issue. That's why 2018 was relatively dry, but 2019 already looks great

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019

It's fair to argue that. However, games like BotW and Mario Odyssey have always been exceptions to the rule regarding Nintendo's games, at least their in-house ones. Most of their in-house titles are much smaller in scale than people like to admit.

It is true Nintendo didn't have a lot of new content in 2018, but they made sure to keep Switch sales steady by taking advantage of a poor selling home console, and improved relations with third party publishers. Even in the Switch's weakest year, it's still far better than your typical Wii U drought.

2019 is when a lot more new games from Nintendo will be ready, and it'll also mark the first real test of Switch era Nintendo, as nearly all of 2017's and 2018's first party titles began development prior to the console's reveal. With BotW and Mario Odyssey done, and 3DS development finally wrapping up, Nintendo now has more staff to ready Switch games.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Talking about Direct, Smash Bros. was launched in December and it seems its easily biggest Switch release until now and has huge momentum in January also, so its possible that Nintendo wanted to gave Smash Bros and NSMBU DX more space in January before gaving new Direct with tons of games and release dates.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Talking about Direct, Smash Bros. was launched in December and it seems its easily biggest Switch release until now and has huge momentum in January also, so its possible that Nintendo wanted to gave Smash Bros and NSMBU DX more space in January before gaving new Direct with tons of games and release dates.
Honestly, Smash is the reason why I was expecting the January Direct to be earlier. They need to give Piranha Plant a release date, and we know that Piranha Plant will release before February 14th (as its amiibo releases on that day).

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019

That's my thinking as well. Nintendo carefully schedules Directs in relation to game releases depending on how big of a release it is.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly, Smash is the reason why I was expecting the January Direct to be earlier. They need to give Piranha Plant a release date, and we know that Piranha Plant will release before February 14th (as it's amiibo releases on that day).
Unless they shadow drop via Twitter it would make sense to announce Piranha Planta release date on a Direct before Feb 14. Amiibo was announced earlier because they just cant reveal an amiibo 10 days before its retail release.

Samus_Aran

Jan 22, 2018
Come on, Plant is a Preorder DLC, It's release CAN be entirely unrelated to any Direct. But surely, they may prepare a Smash Package with Joker Gameplay Reveal, DQ Fighter Reveal and Piranha Plant available after presentation.

Also: I don't get the "how epic will the next Direct be?" discussion. There's a cap. When they're doing this livestream, they know that everybody knows that today is Nintendo News Day. So if they have one megaton announcement, they'll keep the rest for later. An ideal Direct for Nintendo has 1-2 big titles, 1 big teaser as fan service, release schedule and a lot of various diverse content (indie, downloads, etc.) and is max. 40mins.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
That's possible. I'm actually going against the grain of when Animal Crossing should release. Smart business decision I'd release it in the holidays too.

I just feel like it'll be July.

Completely agree with your sentiment on smart business decision, but I think there's a smart business decision in releasing Animal Crossing in August/September as a vehicle to ensure people keep their Online subscription active as we approach and pass through the 1 year mark. Also, the game changes with the seasons. Launching in the last month of a season means you are showcasing the game with two "look and feels" within 4 weeks of launch. I think August is a real possibility, and that definitely opens up Q4 for something like Star Fox to come into play.

Pokemon is the big hardware mover for holidays that will appeal to the mass market. It only really makes sense to place a more core title alongside it in that window. So yea a Star Fox or Bayonetta 3 launch makes a lot of sense. More-so when you slot Luigi's Mansion 3 into October, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.