• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lite really does screw over any games in development that want to push the joycons.

I wonder if an Odyssey 2 would change the hat throwing motions to be more compatible with the Lite.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Lite really does screw over any games in development that want to push the joycons.
I really like the Lite, but this is the one thing that I'm a bit sad about. I think HD rumble and the motion sensing of the Joy-Con still has a lot of untapped potential that is getting less and less likely to be used. Nintendo ditched the special thing of the 3DS (which is its 3D) as well after two years and a half, so it's not entirely unexpected, but in case of the Joy-Con, I think it's a shame that this feature is not available for 100% of the user base anymore, so devs aren't surr whether a player can use that feature or not.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I really like the Lite, but this is the one thing that I'm a bit sad about. I think HD rumble and the motion sensing of the Joy-Con still has a lot of untapped potential that is getting less and less likely to be used. Nintendo ditched the special thing of the 3DS (which is its 3D) as well after two years and a half, so it's not entirely unexpected, but in case of the Joy-Con, I think it's a shame that this feature is not available for 100% of the user base anymore, so devs aren't surr whether a player can use that feature or not.
Nintendo never ditched 3D for 3DS games. I'm sure you remember the New 3DS where they doubled down on the 3D. That came out in 2015, four years after the system's original launch.

Switch Lite still has a gyro sensor in it, motion games can still work on that unless they rely on single joycon twisty turny motions like a Mario Party or 1-2-Switch. Odyssey (2) on a Lite is no different than Odyssey on a Pro Controller or in handheld mode now.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Labo was cool but I am ready for a new "casual" subseries. Put Shimamura in charge of another sports game thanks.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what happened to Tadashi Sugiyama group.
It was brought up a few weeks ago that he isn't listed in Smash Ultimate's credits as a supervisor while the other managers are, so he might have retired and the project leads (eg. Takaya Imamura) may have been absorbed into other groups.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
It was brought up a few weeks ago that he isn't listed in Smash Ultimate's credits as a supervisor while the other managers are, so he might have retired and the project leads (eg. Takaya Imamura) may have been absorbed into other groups.

Usually before retirement they spend a few years doing lighter duty. So probably Sugiyama is still employed just under a lighter position? Should be interesting to see when Tezuka, Sakamoto and those older designers not in super high executive positions like Miyamoto will retire.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Nope and to be honest, I think if we do see Dungeon in the future it'd be a mobile version before it was a console release.
I wouldn't be against a mobile version, but I'll be very disappointed if we don't get one for the Switch. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games have been my go to Pokémon games ever since I got bored with the mainline releases.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Kosuke Yabuki retweeted the official Mario Kart Tour account which basically confirms that his team is focused on that for now if there was any doubt.
Nope and to be honest, I think if we do see Dungeon in the future it'd be a mobile version before it was a console release.
Well, in the past, the Mystery Dungeon games served as stopgaps between annual releases of the main games. It makes a bit more sense for a Switch release.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So would MK Tour then be EPD 9's current project rather than the mobile team's?

I wonder if this could throw out the possibility of EPD 9 leading another Switch game right now.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
So would MK Tour then be EPD 9's current project rather than the mobile team's? I wonder if this could throw out the possibility of EPD 9 leading another Switch game right now.

Konno's EPD Smart Device Production Group just does production and planning and relies using developers from the series (and outside help). So Kobuki's PG9 definitely is lead developer, but we've also seen that every PG has at least 2 project teams. But the resources have to be balanced.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Konno's EPD Smart Device Production Group just does production and planning and relies using developers from the series (and outside help). So Kobuki's PG9 definitely is lead developer, but we've also seen that every PG has at least 2 project teams. But the resources have to be balanced.

Hmm, now that you mention it we did have MK8D and ARMS both arrive around the same time.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro has officially hired a Lead Character Artist. This is a big deal. They also hired a Lead External Environment Artist. This is also a big deal.

The Lead Character Artist used to work at Microsoft.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news. I like my characters and external environments to have designs and art.
tenorcopy5e4j39.gif

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Kenji Saito was a producer on Astral Chain. I seem to remember that he was one of the people who some thought could take over direction of Bayonetta 3 after Hashimoto left. Although I think he was working on another game up until earlier this year.

Last edited:

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that Kenji Saito was a producer on Astral Chain. I seem to remember that he was one of the people who some thought could take over direction of Bayonetta 3 after Hashimoto left. Although I think he was working on another game up until early last year.

Part of me is still wondering where Hashimoto is working now since he left Platinum Games. He was one of the PG staff "sleeping over" in Nintendo's Kyoto Development Center working with Nintendo's programmers and planners to co-dev Star Fox Zero. Seems he is a fan of Nintendo and has made lots of close associates there. Is he working for Nintendo directly? Is he being funded by Nintendo on a new start up?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Near to Link and Zelda maybe?

Part of me is still wondering where Hashimoto is working now since he left Platinum Games. He was one of the PG staff "sleeping over" in Nintendo's Kyoto Development Center working with Nintendo's programmers and planners to co-dev Star Fox Zero. Seems he is a fan of Nintendo and has made lots of close associates there. Is he working for Nintendo directly? Is he being funded by Nintendo on a new start up?
Nintendo First Party Thread's Return to Dream Land (aka this would be soo cool, or almost too good to be true).

Last edited:

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

This would be really cool. Would be great to see Nintendo start up some new studios!

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Hashimoto one of the only few Platinum staff who worked on actual game design with Nintendo? I think the rest of the Platinum side were strictly on asset creation, programming, animation, and music.

He only left in January/February, so if he is with Nintendo now, I wonder why he would leave in the middle of Bayonetta 3's development.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
OP should really add Sega (M&S Olympics) and Hamster (Arcade Archives) for 1st party IP collabs/licensing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he came from 343 working on Halo 4 and 5..it feels weird how Nintendo fans take this type of news. Sony and Xbox fans get so happy and even make topics. Nintendo fans think it's some joke when studios get great talent...
my comment was a joke on that very fact. the nintendo base tends to extrapolate these things rather than make fun of them. remember the ex-Vigil and ex-Naughty Dog hires? but Retro's game was Tropical Freeze?

Hamster's Arcade Archives Collaborations

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Wanna help me list them out? I keep blocking out that Sonic exists so those Olympics games always escape me.

Arcade Archives is DK, SMB, DKJr, DK3, and ...what was that megaton arcade game re-release called?
Sure!

For Sega it's really just the M&S series unless you want to go all the way back to F-Zero AX/GX. The last few were M&S at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games (Wii U), M&S at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS/Wii U/Arcade) and upcoming M&S at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Switch/Arcade).

For Arcade Archives:

Released
  • Clu Clu Land*
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong 3
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Excitebike*
  • Ice Climber
  • Mario Bros.
  • Pinball*
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Sky Skipper