• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Samus Returns was great, and got on 87 on MC, so a lot of people loved it. Mercury Steam will definitely be doing at least the next 2d game for sure if it happens.
I certainly enjoyed it. It's pretty middling compared to the other 2D Metroids though. It feels like a game that is too rigid, clinical and controlled. Next one needs to be more organic in structure and brazen in concept.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly enjoyed it. It's pretty middling compared to the other 2D Metroids though. It feels like a game that is too rigid, clinical and controlled. Next one needs to be more organic in structure and brazen in concept.

It was a safe remake and probably exactly what Sakamoto wanted after the internet witch hunt of Other M.The sequel to Metroid Fusion is out there, and Sakamoto is probably closer to revealing it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was a safe remake and probably exactly what Sakamoto wanted after the internet witch hunt of Other M.The sequel to Metroid Fusion is out there, and Sakamoto is probably closer to revealing it.
I would be so happy if they were brave enough to make a game featuring fused Samus, but I don't think they will be. The general audience would probably be confused with jumping to a storyline from such an old game and having Samus look completely different.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was a remake and the first 2d game since 2004. If/when they make metroid 5 on the switch, it will be a lot more open up. The good thing is that mercury steam showed they definitly can make a good metroid game that has the elements that people want. SR wasn't perfect, but it did a lot of really good things. They had to work with the fact that you have to fight 40 metroids as bosses which was the biggest barrier remking it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mercury Steam did a good job. They remade what's considered the worst 2D Metroid game. They'll get to start from ground up now.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I would be so happy if they were brave enough to make a game featuring fused Samus, but I don't think they will be. The general audience would probably be confused with jumping to a storyline from such an old game and having Samus look completely different.

But I think that's what Metroid Dread is. Well I'm not sure if Samus will be fused, but it will definitely be the evolution of post-Fusion.

Mercury Steam did a good job. They remade what's considered the worst 2D Metroid game. They'll get to start from ground up now.

Not really. The only difference is that Metroid Dread, if that's Sakamoto's next game, might be a completely far out concept. If anything it might use the same engine so I'm not sure what would be ground up.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They can easily use the prologue to explain the summary of fusion along with the other games. I'm honestly not sure what direction 5 would go in, but it would have to have ramifications of fusion.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I think that's what Metroid Dread is. Well I'm not sure if Samus will be fused, but it will definitely be the evolution of post-Fusion.

Not really. The only difference is that Metroid Dread, if that's Sakamoto's next game, might be a completely far out concept. If anything it might use the same engine so I'm not sure what would be ground up.

How is making a brand new game not from the ground up?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The art work for Samus Returns was great.

Really looking forward to seeing how a 2D Metroid will look on Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hence why I think some wires were being crossed. Nothing about the actual Pikmin 4 being close to completion makes sense timeline wise.

I don't see where wires are crossed. He said PR even told him not to say anything. Hey Pikmin was on full display last E3. He's not talking about Hey Pikmin. He's talking about Pikmin 4.

I mean it might take the same base of samus returns, but it would still be a new engine. Similar to what star allies is to the 3ds kirby games.

What engine? Idk why you guys keep bringing up engine. I'm saying the next 2D Metroid they do will be a brand new Metroid game and it won't be another remake, more than likely.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see where wires are crossed. He said PR even told him not to say anything. Hey Pikmin was on full display last E3. He's not talking about Hey Pikmin. He's talking about Pikmin 4.
He gave two separate interviews regarding pikmin. The first he said was "close to completion" the second he said was "still progressing". That doesn't make any sense if it's the same game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What engine? Idk why you guys keep bringing up engine. I'm saying the next 2D Metroid they do will be a brand new Metroid game and it won't be another remake, more than likely.
Yea I know. I think OP meant that it would kind almost be hd samus returns, in structure. It will almost sure be metroid 5, but expect it to have the same basic look, movement, feel, etc.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, someone brought up a list of Kirby sales in another thread an most of them were in the 1-2 million range.

EXACTLY like Metroid.

Why do people say Kirby is above Metroid? I was just taking y'alls word for it, but it's not true

Not kind of exactly since a bunch of Kirby titles surpassed the best-selling metroid game which is prime. At the same time, Kirby titles sell constantly well and if we count the last releases for both franchises, Kirby is still above the past Metroid releases (even if we don't consider Other M or Federation Force). That's why it's above the Metroid franchise since it's consistent in it's releases, it sold more historically and the a bunch of the games sold more than Metroid on the same timeframe.

They should though. :P 2D Metroid barely exists the last 15 years and SR is fine but pales to the indie games out there.

Samus Returns is great. In fact, the best 2D Metroid. It's not really behind indie titles with it's new features and gameplay.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. It actually existed?

I thought it was just a random title someone came up with long ago.
The title came from this. Everyone assumed it was a blatant hint to metroid 5 on the ds.

dims

And it was a thing.
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/...-into-by-unseen-64-comprehensively-explained/

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He gave two separate interviews regarding pikmin. The first he said was "close to completion" the second he said was "still progressing". That doesn't make any sense if it's the same game.

Ok.

Metroid Dread? The game Sakamoto had running on the NDS? I mean it has a blueprint. That's if they go beyond Fusion as Sakamoto hinted.

We'll see. I guess your point is Mercury Steam won't get to make a brand new game 2D Metroid game again.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see. I guess your point is Mercury Steam won't get to make a brand new game 2D Metroid game again.

I think reimaginings are new games. You were kind of saying that Metroid 2 didn't count because it had a blueprint, but the next game hinted is likely Dread, and that has a blueprint as well. Whatever the course, Sakamoto and Hosokawa are behind it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dread is probably one of those things fans have put way more thought into over the years than anyone at Nintendo. Whatever idea they had for that is buried under a decade plus of newer ideas.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think reimaginings are new games. You were kind of saying that Metroid 2 didn't count because it had a blueprint, but the next game hinted is likely Dread, and that has a blueprint as well. Whatever the course, Sakamoto and Hosokawa are behind it.
Well the difference is that the blue print of dread never happened and there has never been a sequel to fusion. That will almost for sure be the next 2d game if it happens.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because they're copying Sakamoto's work in the first place? Samus Returns is easily on par with your Ori's, Guacamelee's, and Axiom Verge's.
I have not played Axiom Verge yet but I have to strongly disagree with Samus Returns being as good as Guacamelee or Ori. Those games were both incredibly fresh and invigorating. SR is competent but stiff, like they're knocking the rust off and not taking any chances - not to mention all the repetition, uninspired environments, etc. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing SR, I did really enjoy the game. But they can do way better.

Jan 11, 2018
I have not played Axiom Verge yet but I have to strongly disagree with Samus Returns being as good as Guacamelee or Ori. Those games were both incredibly fresh and invigorating. SR is competent but stiff, like they're knocking the rust off and not taking any chances - not to mention all the repetition, uninspired environments, etc. I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing SR, I did really enjoy the game.

For sure, it is a matter of opinion. Guacamelee! is easily my favorite of the bunch (in terms of indies). Axiom Verge just seemed like it was trying way too hard to be like Metroid without offering many new ideas of it's own though. I absolutely cannot wait for Hollow Knight to come to Switch though!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For sure, it is a matter of opinion. Guacamelee! is easily my favorite of the bunch (in terms of indies). Axiom Verge just seemed like it was trying way too hard to be like Metroid without offering many new ideas of it's own though. I absolutely cannot wait for Hollow Knight to come to Switch though!
Same here man, I am really psyched for Hollow Knight. It will actually be my first metroidvania on Switch and I think it will be special

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Nintendo allows headstrong games to make a 3rd battalion wars game sometime in the future but that game falls into the category of wishlist like endless ocean 3 :(

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
A member on this site that give us the scoop the Samus Returns was a thing has said that the next 2D Metroid is already in development, wouldn't say who the developer was though, iirc.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Nintendo knows Metroid has a very core fanbase by now.

I think they are going to stop trying to make the series appeal to "everyone" and focus on appeasing those core fans. That's what's best for Metroid imo, it makes their systems more enticing to core gamers.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if the Mario kart team isn't making Mario Kart 9 for Switch but Mario Kart Double Dash 2?
Is that you...Andre? Lol

I don't see it. I think it's time for a "revolution" for Mario Kart. Some kind of big change. I think its hit its peak now. Idk if that's adding a single player story mode or whatever. I want the multiplayer stuff to stay, but I want to see a change somewhere else.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Is that you...Andre? Lol

I don't see it. I think it's time for a "revolution" for Mario Kart. Some kind of big change. I think its hit its peak now. Idk if that's adding a single player story mode or whatever. I want the multiplayer stuff to stay, but I want to see a change somewhere else.

Adding a story mode that is like Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing is what needs to happen.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I feel like lots of SR's problems were consequences of being a Metroid II remake.

I expect a better structure for the next game

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The title came from this. Everyone assumed it was a blatant hint to metroid 5 on the ds.

dims

And it was a thing.
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/...-into-by-unseen-64-comprehensively-explained/
You got it twisted. The title came from an E3 sheet Nintendo gave to press with a list of their games on it (don't remember which year). The "Dread" log in Prime 3 was then taken as a hint towards Dread being alive years later after the project never materialized. Otherwise there would be absolutely no meaning in that log by itself.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something unrelated to the 2-3 discussions at hand but...

Turns out Genius Sonority has recently updated the 3DS version of Pokémon Shuffle with automated events scheduled until 2037 or something. In other words, they're getting ready to move on from the game and end regular support.

Curious to see what they're doing next.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't wanna make a thread so here you go.

Do anyone know how I can download New. Super Mario Bros. U? Apparently it's not available on eShop to download, only the bundle that contains Luigi U. Do Nintendo really want me to buy the game all over again? Wtf.

Edit: False alarm. Already had it downloaded. Lol. :P

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Didn't wanna make a thread so here you go.

Do anyone know how I can download New. Super Mario Bros. U? Apparently it's not available on eShop to download, only the bundle that contains Luigi U. Do Nintendo really want me to buy the game all over again? Wtf.

Yup, the Nintendo way. Also, there's a reliable rumor on here that an enhanced port is coming to Switch so I wouldn't be surprised if that's also the reason. They're going to want to incentivise purchases of the new version.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017

Turns out Genius Sonority has recently updated the 3DS version of Pokémon Shuffle with automated events scheduled until 2037 or something. In other words, they're getting ready to move on from the game and end regular support.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's another F2P title. Shuffle seemed to work out OK for them and we're in a new generation now. That seems to be the direction most Pokemon spin-offs are taking nowadays.

I'm guessing that whatever it is will work for all Switch modes as well as mobile later down the road. Shuffle wouldn't have really worked on Switch outside of Handheld Mode.

Genius Sonority doesn't have the staff numbers anymore to pull off something like Colosseum/XD, especially in HD. Pokemon Switch just makes those games even more redundant as well.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Denpa Men Switch? Weird we never got the f2p 3DS or iOS/Android versions overseas after 1-3 were localized.

Does Nintendo still own a stake in them? I remember it being around 20% or something, with Pokémon Co. having an equal sized share, but there's nothing on their site about it now.

Also what happened to them reviving the Heart Beat brand? At the time it was speculated they'd be using it to publish non-Nintendo/mobile games but they ended up doing that anyway as Genius Sonority. Maybe it was for something Dragon Quest related that fell through?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
As of e3 2016, Miyamoto heavily implied that Pikmin 4 hadn't been approved for full development yet.

""Yes, you are right, and we're working on [Pikmin 4]. So, you know, when we're in development we have to create a list of priorities and it has been hard to kind of fit that into that list, but we're hopefully starting to see that on the list now.""

With other games (like probably BotW, SMO, Splatoon, Arms) getting programmer priority.

https://gamerant.com/pikmin-4-update-miyamoto/

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one should be in denial on if Pikmin 4 is being developed. No wires are getting crossed. Miyamoto probably doesn't give a shit about Hey Pikmin.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Nintendo knows Metroid has a very core fanbase by now.

I think they are going to stop trying to make the series appeal to "everyone" and focus on appeasing those core fans. That's what's best for Metroid imo, it makes their systems more enticing to core gamers.
Nintendo has had to always know it has a core Fanbase.

They tried to make the series grow to wider appeal and it failed. I don't think just appealing to the core Fanbase is the way to go in the long run

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has had to always know it has a core Fanbase.

They tried to make the series grow to wider appeal and it failed. I don't think just appealing to the core Fanbase is the way to go in the long run
It won't work either way, so they may as well make the best game possible appealing to the core for every possible sale there. Japan will never care about metroid for one right off the bat. So your left with just the west, and I can't think of anything that would give a big broad appeal from metroid.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not first party, but Octopath Traveler (exclusive) is potentially our first big game to have a date for the second half of 2018 being August 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.