• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Shiny Pokemon always felt like something kind of unofficial to me. Do they ever acknowledge that it's a thing that exists?

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Curious name. It makes it seem like a gen 7 thing, but there's no sun or moon in there though.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Shiny Pokemon always felt like something kind of unofficial to me. Do they ever acknowledge that it's a thing that exists?
Yes the term is officially used nowadays

As an example: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/add-a-shiny-silvally-to-your-ranks/

There's a whole story segment in Gold/Silver where there's a red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage.

He's more asking if Gamefreak uses the term "Shiny Pokemon" to describe alternate colored Pokemon. Which they do.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
In 5 minutes, expect a youtube video titled "Pikachu Has Ultra Instinct Confirmed??!?!?" followed by "Ultra Pikachu vs Gohan Blanco."

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
As if the search for shinies wasn't crazy enough jesus

So then I'm the only one who thinks this is a Pokèmon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon port for Switch coming this Fall? We heard originally from Eurogamer that a game called Pokèmon Stars which was a Sun & Moon port would come to Switch and then that rumor disappeared.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So then I'm the only one who thinks this is a Pokèmon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon port for Switch coming this Fall? We heard originally from Eurogamer that a game called Pokèmon Stars which was a Sun & Moon port would come to Switch and then that rumor disappeared.

It didn't disappear. Eurogamer later reported that it was only a tech demo to see what Pokemon would look like running on Switch hardware and that they're creating a new Pokemon for Switch.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like a spinoff title to me, somehow. Let's see what this is going to be. For me, i hope the first Switch game won't be a port of S/M/US/UM, that should've happened as a day one cross-platform release with US/UM.

At least official enough that those things also appear in Pokemon Go, and some shiny legendaries have been distributed via online-gift in the main games before.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Ultra Shiny sounds like... a Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon port for Switch?

Eurogamer redeemed? (Pokemon Stars)
Could be, I mean Sun and Moon are both shiny!

Nah I'm with you! #teamswitchport

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New set of shiny colours would be neat

Even if I'll ever come across 1 or 2 in my lifetime

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Shiny sounds like... a Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon port for Switch?

Eurogamer redeemed? (Pokemon Stars)
Stars already was confirmed to be kind of half-real wasn't it? It was an internal test of the engine on the Switch hardware leading sources to believe a real port was happening.

I doubt this is the name of a game (unless it is an Ultra S/M port), since they usually go opposites and I can't imagine there being a Pokémon Ultra Dull as its counterpart.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Also jokes aside, I'd love for there to be something to replace shinies. Shiny Pokemon are so common nowadays that they don't even feel special anymore.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't instill much confidence that the next game is a significant departure from Gen 7.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also jokes aside, I'd love for there to be something to replace shinies. Shiny Pokemon are so common nowadays that they don't even feel special anymore.
They're only "common" because people dedicated an obscene amount of time to catching them, and theres also millions of people connected together. Any replacement would be just as common because this isn't the 90s and people arent forced to trade locally.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
They're only "common" because people dedicated an obscene amount of time to catching them, and theres also millions of people connected together. Any replacement would be just as common because this isn't the 90s and people arent forced to trade locally.

I mean like, even I caught a few of them and I only play the games like a little bit before I give up out of boredom, so I figured they were just getting a lot easier with all the shiny tools they introduced. Maybe I just got obscenely lucky lol

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If it was a new game, I'd expect the trademark to be "Pokémon Ultra Shiny" instead of just "Ultra Shiny", but that doesn't entirely rule out the possibility of it being a new game.

Maybe they're planning on distributing shiny ultra beasts or something? Could be some sort of merch line as well.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Can't wait for Ultra Instinct Shiny Lucario.
I never caught a Shiny...how in the world should i catch one of those badasses??
Two options:

1. You get the ones that will always be shiny like the red gyarados in HG/SS or the ones in B/W.

2. Luck. Lots of it. In Sun and Moon there was a 1 in 4000 chance to get a wild shiny Pokemon. Having stuff like the shiny charm helps though. And you can use things like the PokeRadar to boost it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean like, even I caught a few of them and I only play the games like a little bit before I give up out of boredom, so I figured they were just getting a lot easier with all the shiny tools they introduced. Maybe I just got obscenely lucky lol
I still have yet to encounter a single shiny in the 200~ hours ive played of SMUMUS/150 I put in Gen 6. I think youre just really REALLY lucky, as besides the full pokedex completion reward, the chances have never been changed.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The name to me seems to imply some sort of special type of shiny pokémon, maybe tied to Ultra Wormholes? Gosh im so excited! I hope these games come out this year.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm gonna make a wild guess and say that this is a new TCG expansion.

I never caught a Shiny...how in the world should i catch one of those badasses??
If you wanna get some easy shinies, in Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon there are these Ultra Wormholes that can lead to a shiny Pokémon quite frequently.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything but a glowing metallic rainbow sheen with lisa frank vibes, I want nothing to do with this

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They have also added several mechanics to increase the chance you get a shiny such as the Masuda method or the shiny emblem (or whatever the name is). I have only really seen 2 shinies without playing those chances in the wild in my whole pokemon time.