• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what to expect here, but I won't complain if it's somehow another version of Sun/Moon. I loved S/M but skipped US/UM, so I'd be down for a high-definition return to Alola.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The New 2DS XL wasn't exactly a huge announcement. Could easily be something like that that doesn't make too many waves

Maybe not to you, but I think the seeing the final 3DS revision was a huge announcement. Every single one of those announcements is shaping the future of the company in some way.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I would feel extremely bitter about a new shiny mechanic. I've started shiny hunting this generation and have got three legendaries and plan to do more.

personaplace

Oct 29, 2017
If it's just some super rare color variation of wild Pokémon then I'm all for it, hell I'd feel super lucky to find one. What I really don't like is the mega evolutions because if I recall correctly (X/Y) it an additional turn to evolve in every battle.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really sure what another shiny variant offers in the game. The original 1/8192 odds is already very hard to come across (average joe isn't gonna know about MM, soft resetting, or even chaining. And we've had people here who never got shinies in their years of playing), so an even rarer variant would just make it that much harder to approach. Not to mention, it's pretty much redundant.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure what another shiny variant offers in the game. The original 1/8192 odds is already very hard to come across (average joe isn't gonna know about MM, soft resetting, or even chaining. And we've had people here who never got shinies in their years of playing), so an even rarer variant would just make it that much harder to approach. Not to mention, it's pretty much redundant.
I dont think it's gonna be anything game related, but a TGC related thing. a new series of cards like BREAK Evolutions

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
GamerGen (French) wrote article about this, mentioning that if Game Freak is involved but not The Pokémon Company, it should be related to the main games and not the TCG. Are they right about this?
This is a bit confusing to me, although I'm almost sure it will have something to do with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon because of that name, it's really intriguing.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
GamerGen (French) wrote article about this, mentioning that if Game Freak is involved but not The Pokémon Company, it should be related to the main games and not the TCG. Are they right about this?
This is a bit confusing to me, although I'm almost sure it will have something to do with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon because of that name, it's really intriguing.
No. They are absolutely wrong.

In Japan, Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. are the three co-registrars of every Pokémon related trademark.

Here are a few examples over the past few years

Cosmog
Phatom Gate (A 2014 Japanese TCG set)
PokéDaring (An augmented reality attraction in a theme park in Japan)
Pokémon Sun & Moon (Video Games and TV series)
Splash! Magikarp (A mobile game name)
Tokyo DX (The name of one of the new Pokémon Center stores)
Ultra Necrozma (A Pokémon form)
Outbreak (An event in Yokohama each year: Pikachu Outbreakchu)
Z Power Ring (An item used in the game and for merchandise)
PokéNano (A merchandise line akin to Lego)
Pokétabi (A merchandise line)
Pokémon Boxercise (An attraction at the Pokémon EXPO Gym event)
Event Organizer (A title of people who organise TCG events in Japan)
Ash's hat

I can go on for days listing all the obscure and varied trademarks. All of these were trademarked by all three companies. That's what happens in Japan. The Pokémon Company doesn't register trademarks.

Last edited:

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
No. They are absolutely wrong.

In Japan, Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. are the three co-registrars of every Pokémon related trademark.
[...]
I can go on for days listing all the obscure and varied trademarks. All of these were trademarked by all three companies. That's what happens in Japan. The Pokémon Company doesn't register trademarks.
Thanks for making that clear! I didn't have much expectation and I even have less now, but at least I shouldn't be disappointed.

It's better than restarting the game 80,000 times to get a shiny starter.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Shiny Pokémon are supposed to be free very rares variants, either a sweet surprise if you're lucky or a something you might want to hunt for hours if you feel like it.
I really don't think an amiibo unlocking mechanic would work as it's totally against the essence of their rarity, though you could consider it like official shiny distributions but those don't have much to do with shiny hunting in the first place.
Also I wish Game Freak realized that Shiny Lock on in-game Pokémon since Gen 5 is a stupid idea that doesn't have any sense and doesn't benefit anyone, but I tend to be more realistic so I prefer to expect an even worse situation on Switch's Gen 8.