With regards to Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury...

• I have played the game, and will for sure be buying it again!

Votes: 375 34.1%
  • I have played the game, and may buy it again depending on the improvements/Bowser’s Fury

Votes: 284 25.8%
  • I have played the game, and definitely won’t be buying it again

Votes: 103 9.4%
  • I haven’t played the game, and will for sure be jumping in for the first time!

Votes: 231 21.0%
  • I haven’t played the game, but I’m still not sold yet

Votes: 71 6.4%
  • I haven’t played the game, and I’m still not interested

Votes: 37 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think we should adjust our expectations, Nintendo is clearly going for the big boys now in terms of characters

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should adjust our expectations, Nintendo is clearly going for the big boys now in terms of characters

Eh...I'd be careful with that mentality.

I suspect the next fighter is gonna be someone a little more low key, just like how we got Terry right after the double megaton of Hero and Banjo last year.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
-Nintendo is only going for 1st Party
-Nintendo is only going for the big boys
What rampant speculation pattern will the 3rd DLC character bring?

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
The tonal shift from GoW 3 and the reboot w/ 2018 is the single greatest shift I've ever seen in a franchise. It's a complete 180. The stupid hack and slash entries on PS2 and PS3 do nothing for me. In fact they do worse, they completely put me off.

God of War 2018 is one of my top games of the generation.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Think Hero is pretty low key as well to be fair.

Come on now. Maybe from a western perspective, but in Japan (you know, where Smash is made) Dragon Quest is a super massive and influential franchise.

That's probably what Nintendo was going for that E3, a character for the Japanese fanbase (Hero), counterbalanced with a character for the western fanbase (B-K). Putting them together like that made for one legendary E3 for Smash.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I know is Verg, but how will people feel if this happens?

EjRGGVjXsAAd55A
Even if we don't trust him, I think a Koei Tecmo Character is basically a given, because of the great relationship Nintendo has with Koei Tecmo as he says.
I mean Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, the support they gave for Fire Emblem Three Houses and soon also Age of Calamity, that's a pretty strong case for them getting a character, just like with Microsoft.
I don't think there's any Koei Tecmo character that would fit better than Ryu Hayabusa, he had strong presence on Nintendo in the NES days, and soon the there's that rumored HD collection of the 3D action games.
I don't think they would put in any of the Dead or Alive or Atelier girls before him.
What else do they have?
Nioh? I know it's not a great argument after Joker, but that's more a Playstaton franchise, and Ryu has more weight for gaming as a whole.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna get hate for this, but I thought GOW 2018 was a poor mans metroidvania.

Nothing about it seems exceptional in my eyes.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best comment I saw about Steve so far:

"Y'all wanted Sakurai to acknowledge the pro Smash scene, so he added the Creeper"

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna get hate for this, but I thought GOW 2018 was a poor mans metroidvania.

The combat was pretty fun. And "poor mans Metroidvania" isn't really a bad thing, any bit of Metroid design I'll take. And I don't really think it was *trying* to be a full one, just incorporate a little bit of it.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Even if we don't trust him, I think a Koei Tecmo Character is basically a given, because of the great relationship Nintendo has with Koei Tecmo as he says.
I mean Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, the support they gave for Fire Emblem Three Houses and soon also Age of Calamity, that's a pretty strong case for them getting a character, just like with Microsoft.
I don't think there's any Koei Tecmo character that would fit better than Ryu Hayabusa, he had strong presence on Nintendo in the NES days, and soon the there's that rumored HD collection of the 3D action games.
I don't think they would put in any of the Dead or Alive or Atelier girls before him.
What else do they have?
Nioh? I know it's not a great argument after Joker, but that's more a Playstaton franchise, and Ryu has more weight for gaming as a whole.
I never played any Ninja Gaiden game, but a 3D collection would help. And Ryu's inclusion couls be an interesenting one.

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
Best part of Minecraft Steve getting added is showing the Microsoft and Nintendo friendship flourishing which makes me believe in Rare Replay on switch one day.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

If just the banner leaked ahead of time, everyone would have been screaming about how fake it looks.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

I'd be up for this. Ninja Gaiden is one of the few classic Japanese franchises which rebuilt the industry around Famicom which is yet to have a rep in Smash. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Pac Man are all represented.
The tonal shift from GoW 3 and the reboot w/ 2018 is the single greatest shift I've ever seen in a franchise. It's a complete 180. The stupid hack and slash entries on PS2 and PS3 do nothing for me. In fact they do worse, they completely put me off.

I started it this week and am thoroughly enjoying it. I met Christopher Judge when I was a teenager and he was a lovely guy, glad to hear him as Kratos.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
I started it this week and am thoroughly enjoying it. I met Christopher Judge when I was a teenager and he was a lovely guy, glad to hear him as Kratos.
He's fantastic in that game and seems to genuinely love what he does so mad respect for him. You're in for a ride if you stick with it. The game is a spectacle and the fights are pretty fantastic. I also love singular the goal in that game, spread your wife's (mother's) ashes. Everything else is just along for the ride to make that happen.

I'm also just a sucker for the Norse setting, major improvement over the Greek god stuff imo.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I love both types. It's one of those BotW moments. I loved the old ones, but the new formula is great too so I don't mind them moving on

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020

I think reducing the game to its genre is a little unfair to what it is since the game is so much more than that. The metroidvania-lite part of it is the worst part for sure, but just the sheer scale of what's going on and the emotion involved makes that game what it is. Combine it with tight and fun combat and the setting it has and it's just incredible to me.

It's not faultless. Stuff like the camera being so tight behind you that you can get blindsided by enemies kinda sucks, movement isn't always intuitive or excellent - kinda like Witcher 3, and after finishing it I was kinda left wishing it had went just a bit further. Hopefully the sequel tunes that up and with the reveal at the end of GoW2018 it definitely seems like they're planning for insanity.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018

GoW 1-3 were pretty mediocre shit, GoW (2018) is another type of mediocre shit in my eyes. I'm not sure which of the two is worse, tho. xD

(I really only liked the Greek settings, everything else about the series is pretty forgettable in my eyes)

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I think reducing the game to its genre is a little unfair to what it is since the game is so much more than that. The metroidvania-lite part of it is the worst part for sure, but just the sheer scale of what's going on and the emotion involved makes that game what it is. Combine it with tight and fun combat and the setting it has and it's just incredible to me.

It's not faultless. Stuff like the camera being so tight behind you that you can get blindsided by enemies kinda sucks, movement isn't always intuitive or excellent - kinda like Witcher 3, and after finishing it I was kinda left wishing it had went just a bit further. Hopefully the sequel tunes that up and with the reveal at the end of GoW2018 it definitely seems like they're planning for insanity.

Yea I can see why others love it tho.

Having a tight narrative between a father and son can go a long way.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
GoW 1-3 were pretty mediocre shit, GoW (2018) is another type of mediocre shit in my eyes. I'm not sure which of the two is worse, tho. xD

(I really only liked the Greek settings, everything else about the series is pretty forgettable in my eyes)
To each their own. I mean it's kinda the epitome of the major Sony big budget AAA game. Either that kind of thing interests you or it doesn't.

Most of the time they don't for me but GoW really resonated for some reason.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of Sony's big budget Western games firmly fall into the "it's not you, it's me" genre. I can acknowledge their qualities but they do a lot of stuff that really isn't what I am looking for in games. At least they aren't Ubisoft games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.