Status
Not open for further replies.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The Belda argument!?
At this time of year
at this time of day
at this part of the internet
localized entirely within the Nintendo general discussion thread?!
Yeah, I don't know what to say in response, but the Belda thing was what first came to my mind, lol.

Wookiee
I don't see how to argue with such a hypothetical take, so I guess I'll just disagree with you here. I absolutely don't get your perspective on this, like at all.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Even there a lot of the concepts in the game fall short of where they should be to me. It drives home the narrative that Nintendo games get special treatment on the "best games of all time" lists. BotW is good, even great. It's not the greatest game ever made lol. That doesn't even begin to make sense to me.

I can see why people may see BOTW as the greatest game of all time due to them preferring gameplay rather than storytelling. People have different priorities like for me I really don't care much when it comes to storytelling so I will give lots of games a pass if I find the gameplay enjoyable. However, if the gameplay is terrible, but the story is fantastic it will be harder for me to give it a pass.

The gameplay in BOTW is something that essentially glued me into the game for so long which is why I consider it a phenomenal game. The storytelling is whatever and I really don't care, but the gameplay is what kept me hooked.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying I disagree with you but that depends how long it to takes to R&D them. The Joycon sticks are more predisposed to drift because of the unique parameters they have to exist in, that won't change with a theoretical new design.

If they had a new design ready now but they were releasing a new SKU next year it might be worth aligning their releases.

I guess I don't really see why aligning their releases would be any sort of benefit. They could release a "pro" joycon for a higher MSRP whenever, and it would be a pretty solid boost to their revenue. With or without any sort of revision.

Yeah. I mean all they really kinda need to do to solve a lot of the JoyCons issues is source some different thumbsticks. That could be done by an intern in a day in most hardware companies... Not sure why they're so hesitant to do so.

That's oversimplifying the issue I think. The problem is that there are no thumbsticks that can fit in the same form factor that will reduce the drift. People who replace their joycon sticks still wind up with drift later on.

There's likely no good easy solution for joycon drift at all.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Meh call it whatever you like it's how I feel about it. To be fair there are games that I love with a passion that I'm sure several of you think are bad or that opinions on them are stupid. We can't all love exactly the same thing every single time nor should we.

I mean I probably prefer goddamn Radiata Stories to BotW so let that sink in for a few.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't really see why aligning their releases would be any sort of benefit. They could release a "pro" joycon for a higher MSRP whenever, and it would be a pretty solid boost to their revenue. With or without any sort of revision.

That's oversimplifying the issue I think. The problem is that there are no thumbsticks that can fit in the same form factor that will reduce the drift. People who replace their joycon sticks still wind up with drift later on.

There's likely no good easy solution for joycon drift at all.

Easier marketing blast with both, and if you align it with a revision it's not a mea culpa on the drift issue. Might also be a N3DS thing where it has something exta(back buttons?) and the first wave of "Pro" games use them.

Also yup on the thumbsticks, the internals of a traditional thumbstick are thicker than the Joycon itself.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
We really at the Legend of Belda stage?

Edit - ah, I was a few minutes out of date and we're moving on, which I think is fair enough.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
See I never followed the argument that if it wasn't a Nintendo IP the game wouldn't get as much praise.

That's like saying the Last of Us wouldn't have gotten the high praise it deserved if it wasn't a Sony IP. And I don't even like the Last of Us because I think the gameplay sucks, but I still think it deserved all the incredibly high praise.

But there are a lot of games I like that other people would think it's shit lol.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
Anyone planning to try and get a Game & Watch in the U.S. tomorrow? Trying to decide if I should run over to Best Buy/Target when they open.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Meh call it whatever you like it's how I feel about it. To be fair there are games that I love with a passion that I'm sure several of you think are bad or that opinions on them are stupid. We can't all love exactly the same thing every single time nor should we.

I mean I probably prefer goddamn Radiata Stories to BotW so let that sink in for a few.
No ones saying you can't dislike BotW

It's the argument of "Nintendo games get special treatment" that deserves to be mocked. You're taking your opinion and assuming it's right and that everyone else is wrong and giving the game "special treatment"

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Breath of the Wild is a weird game where it's really hard to put into words, for me at least, why I consider it to be so damn good. Which is why I get when people are confused when others say it's the best game of all time, despite wholeheartedly believing that myself. On paper, I agree it doesn't seem that impressive, but there's something about BoTW that just works.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I can see why people may see BOTW as the greatest game of all time due to them preferring gameplay rather than storytelling. People have different priorities like for me I really don't care much when it comes to storytelling so I will give lots of games a pass if I find the gameplay enjoyable. However, if the gameplay is terrible, but the story is fantastic it will be harder for me to give it a pass.

The gameplay in BOTW is something that essentially glued me into the game for so long which is why I consider it a phenomenal game. The storytelling is whatever and I really don't care, but the gameplay is what kept me hooked.
Exactly the same for me, yeah.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Ima hop off for a bit I think. I think I'm taking my frustration of trying to fight a billion bots to buy a PS5 out and I don't feel good about that.

Y'all take it easy

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Breath of the Wild is a weird game where it's really hard to put into words, for me at least, why I consider it to be so damn good. Which is why I get when people are confused when others say it's the best game of all time, despite wholeheartedly believing that myself. On paper, I agree it doesn't seem that impressive, but there's something about BoTW that just works.
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I'd go a step further and say that the type of storytelling people wanted from BotW would've probably actively harmed the game's design. Like it's so abundantly clear why Nintendo put the story in the background and made it non-linear. It's because of the game's design!

The biggest actual flaw that I'd say it has is is the lore dump the king gives you at the beginning because it should've been left to mystery a bit, as well as the ending having more meat. The structure of the story is exactly what it should've been.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I always remember it because I had an acquaintance convinced that FF XV was going to be the critically acclaimed game and that BOTW had betrayed the fans by making a Zelda with "kid's cartoon" graphics and that it was going to be disowned.
I was on gamefaqs a lot more in 2015 and there was this constant troll who would spout about how FF15 would slaughter BotW. I wondered how he took it, so I went back and apparently he was still trying to spout that BotW was overrated but that people REALLY preferred FF15

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I mean all they really kinda need to do to solve a lot of the JoyCons issues is source some different thumbsticks. That could be done by an intern in a day in most hardware companies... Not sure why they're so hesitant to do so.
The physical size of the Joy-Cons limits their options a lot. They're pretty tiny compared to most controllers with analog sticks. I suspect next year's model will probably make some tweaks to the Joy-Cons to make the problem easier to fix.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Botw has very bland characters and story. It is probably also my favourite game ever.

I enjoyed climbing up trees, picking up rocks and taking a raft down a river more than I've enjoyed anything else in a video game, and it's stupid, but I did.

That said, Zelda has done an actually great story (Majora's Mask) and almost all of the entries have more interesting NPCs. I hope they are able to bring the best aspects of the old games to the Botw sequel while keeping it fresh otherwise.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
BotW story's is perfect: it gives you a reason to explore the 4 cardinal quadrants of the map and literally nothing else, exactly what that gameplay loop needed.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I hear the Belda argument, it's always cause someone just doesn't like all the praise the game gets.

and I'm someone who doesn't rate BOTW highly. But the Belda argument is awful. We better not hear it's a tech demo cause that's even worst take lol

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I'd give BotW like an 8.5/10 overall. I think it's good, it has a great art style and exploration, and gameplay feels improved compared to past Zelda games. But it also has a lot of big issues for me. The shrines/divine beasts/bosses all looking the same, the story which feels almost nonexistent, and I think the movement/mobility could still be improved a lot.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I actually found the story in BOTW perfect.

it's like being given a book and you start near the very last few chapters in. With all the pages before it lost. Fit the theme of the game perfectly honestly. Of course the actual story content could be criticize to an extent, but playing the game, it always did feel like "wonder what happen Here?" And that's exactly what I personally wanted. Tho my dislike for the game is that I dislike open world games and the emphasis on exploration caused a downgrade on dungeons and bosses

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Easier marketing blast with both, and if you align it with a revision it's not a mea culpa on the drift issue. Might also be a N3DS thing where it has something exta(back buttons?) and the first wave of "Pro" games use them.

Also yup on the thumbsticks, the internals of a traditional thumbstick are thicker than the Joycon itself.

I think that causes more confusion though. If you associate it only with the revision you imply that it's only usable with the revision, when there's no reason to believe a new joycon design wouldn't be usable with the OG Switch too.

The physical size of the Joy-Cons limits their options a lot. They're pretty tiny compared to most controllers with analog sticks. I suspect next year's model will probably make some tweaks to the Joy-Cons to make the problem easier to fix.

Do you think it will have differently sized joycons? That would cause compatibility issues I imagine Nintendo would want to avoid.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You remember that one challenge in Mario Odyssey where you had to put the details on a picture of Mario's face almost perfectly but they disappeared after a while and you had to kind of wing it?

That one thing is more annoying than anything in Sunshine.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Now... Imagine BotW being developed by Level-5.
*shudders*

Still waiting on the localisation and the Anime!

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I actually found the story in BOTW perfect.

it's like being given a book and you start near the very last few chapters in. With all the pages before it lost. Fit the theme of the game perfectly honestly. Of course the actual story content could be criticize to an extent, but playing the game, it always did feel like "wonder what happen Here?" And that's exactly what I personally wanted. Tho my dislike for the game is that I dislike open world games and the emphasis on exploration caused a downgrade on dungeons and bosses
This is a perfect way of putting it

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The two 64 Zeldas are pretty unique in the series in terms of how strange and creepy many of the design elements, characters, atmosphere, music etc., actually are, and in ways that is very uniquely Japanese. TP recaptured some of that, but the rest of the series has definitely gone in a different direction in a lot of ways.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
You remember that one challenge in Mario Odyssey where you had to put the details on a picture of Mario's face almost perfectly but they disappeared after a while and you had to kind of wing it?

not even close

especially when you can take a screenshot & pause it with the home button

BOTW is more about its sandbox world and exploration rather than a character-driven story. It's minimal story works there because it greatly compliments those main attributes.

I have a feeling that BOTW2 is going to be far more story and character-driven, especially if EPD takes notes from Majora's Mask.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

No lie, Radiata Stories is one of my favorite games of all time that no one ever talks about. Such a cool concept and I love the clock system and character recruitment so much! It's brought down by some issues like combat and missables, though, for sure.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown

Aww I thought those were fun. The reveal of the goofy face that you had created would always get a laugh out of me. Maybe I'm too easily entertained.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The two 64 Zeldas are pretty unique in the series in terms of how strange and creepy many of the design elements, characters, atmosphere, music etc., actually are, and in ways that is very uniquely Japanese. TP recaptured some of that, but the rest of the series has definitely gone in a different direction in a lot of ways.
TP always felt more Tolkein-y and western for some reason, probably the more realistic art style.

I get what you mean though. Honestly each Zelda era has been pretty good at having a distinct atmosphere.

OoT and MM - how you put it
WW - whimisical cartoony adventure
TP - more grounded and Tolkein-y
SS - ancient eastern folklore (The music and paint-y art style help) (fitting as it's the origin story)
BotW - Ghibli-esque and post apocalyptic melancholy

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is more about its sandbox world and exploration rather than a character-driven story. It's minimal story works there because it greatly compliments those main attributes.

I have a feeling that BOTW2 is going to be far more story and character-driven, especially if EPD takes notes from Majora's Mask.
They absolutely will not if it gets in the way of the game's open design. They aren't walking back on why so many people loved BotW - it's unmatched openness.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

It really isn't. Nothing could possibly be more annoying than the pachinko and lily pad stages in Sunshine.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think that causes more confusion though. If you associate it only with the revision you imply that it's only usable with the revision, when there's no reason to believe a new joycon design wouldn't be usable with the OG Switch too.

Do you think it will have differently sized joycons? That would cause compatibility issues I imagine Nintendo would want to avoid.

I think it's easy enough to have a "Also compatible with Switch and Switch Lite" line somewhere.

As I said I don't disagree but I can see the possible angle that could be played; that by default those are the controllers for the new model even if they are compatible with the other models.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
This is a reminder to play

moon: Remix RPG Adventure

That is all, don't be a hero.
I need to get back to my playthrough. I kinda got sidetracked right as I was really getting into it. It has such a unique and incredible atmosphere and figuring out the intricacies of the world and NPCs brought me back to my first playthrough of Majora's Mask. It has an incredible soundtrack as well.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I need to get back to my playthrough. I kinda got sidetracked right as I was really getting into it. It has such a unique and incredible atmosphere and figuring out the intricacies of the world and NPCs brought me back to my first playthrough of Majora's Mask. It has an incredible soundtrack as well.
Indeed. I also got sidetracked (right a the start before I got hooked) but then I just binged it for a few days. Atmosphere of legends, soundtrack insanity for 1997.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd go a step further and say that the type of storytelling people wanted from BotW would've probably actively harmed the game's design. Like it's so abundantly clear why Nintendo put the story in the background and made it non-linear. It's because of the game's design!

The biggest actual flaw that I'd say it has is is the lore dump the king gives you at the beginning because it should've been left to mystery a bit, as well as the ending having more meat. The structure of the story is exactly what it should've been.

They could have pushed stronger storytelling without sacrificing the freedom of the game's exploration. If rather than having those flashbacks you need the collect, the storyline around each divine beast was as developed as the one you get in the four Majora's Mask regions (which were all independent so even though in the game there was a set order it should be possible to apply that writing for something without one) I think you wouldn't get nearly as many complaints about the plot, while not really changing the game's structure.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
not even close

especially when you can take a screenshot & pause it with the home button
Ok but it's really not though
Aww I thought those were fun. The reveal of the goofy face that you had created would always get a laugh out of me. Maybe I'm too easily entertained.
It really isn't. Nothing could possibly be more annoying than the pachinko and lily pad stages in Sunshine.

Is this what it feels like to drop a hot take?

Sure, the face thing is funny at first, but when you lose by a point it gets difficult to not grip the controller harder than you should and grind your teeth a bit.

Maybe following the Koopa Troopa's invisible path in that giant circle tops it though...

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I personally thought there was just the right amount of "main story" in BotW (beginning, ending, memories, divine beasts) but I would have wanted more side content, especially to flesh out the new champions.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Is this what it feels like to drop a hot take?

Sure, the face thing is funny at first, but when you lose by a point it gets difficult to not grip the controller harder than you should and grind your teeth a bit.

Maybe following the Koopa Troopa's invisible path in that giant circle tops it though...
100 jump rope and volleyball

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I personally thought there was just the right amount of "main story" in BotW (beginning, ending, memories, divine beasts) but I would have wanted more side content, especially to flesh out the new champions.
yeah if anything the side quests were the ones lacking story. Though I guess you can consider everything in the game a sidequest lol

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah a lot of my personal complaints would have been resolved if they went all in on crafting stories around the new champions.

Everybody is so happy to prop up Bloody Baron in Witcher 3 as one of their favorite parts, and it was almost completely detached from the main storyline. I don't expect that morbid tragedy from Zelda, but they can absolutely go harder on side story without breaking the freedom to complete in any order.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
The thing is, Odyssey has some annoying side objectives sure

Sunshine has annoying main path stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.