Status
Not open for further replies.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Replaying FFVII on Switch and it's such a good platform for it. All of those old RPGs play so much better portably. Probably gonna grab FFVIII (which I never finished) and FFIX which I haven't played since I was like 12 afterwards
First time I played FF VII was on Vita! Such a great time, loved it on there. The smaller screen and the OLED's colours really made it a pleasant experience.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
All this Xeno/Baten Kaitos talk made me excited by thinking what's next for Monolith Soft. I really want to see their next game (Hopefully this E3) and see how much their development has evolved.

12-FD059-D-3-C10-4143-9-C62-7672139-E4146.gif

Soon, my friend. Soon.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Switch excited when I was a kid.

Would've had all the time in the world to play all those games lol. Especially some of the final fantasies

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Replaying FFVII on Switch and it's such a good platform for it. All of those old RPGs play so much better portably. Probably gonna grab FFVIII (which I never finished) and FFIX which I haven't played since I was like 12 afterwards
I bought IX in a sale intending to play it on Switch for the first time since 2001, but I've never got round to it. I should try and get on with it some time.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
lol. I mean, it isn't GOOD, but it's not horrendous or anything. Mediocre but playable. Definitely bottom-tier Tales, but I wouldn't complain about a port.
I'm being mean here :P But seriously, Zesteria is one of the most basic RPG's I've played. And I like Tales games just fine, but man that game was a drag to play at times. Especially the dungeons are absolutely dull and not fun to play.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
First time I played FF VII was on Vita! Such a great time, loved it on there. The smaller screen and the OLED's colours really made it a pleasant experience.

This is partly why I'm so excited for the Switch Pro. We haven't had an OLED portable since the original Vita, and it was a game changer. Gaming on an OLED display is in general.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I'm being mean here :P But seriously, Zesteria is one of the most basic RPG's I've played. And I like Tales games just fine, but man that game was a drag to play at times. Especially the dungeons are absolutely dull and not fun to play.
My biggest complaint about more modern Tales games is that while combat (generally) has gotten better, dungeon design has taken a massive nosedive since the days of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia. I loved how dungeons in those days always had a "theme/gimmick" of some sort; you would get a new power via the sorcerer's ring that almost worked like a dungeon item in Zelda, and the whole dungeon hinged around how you used it. Sure, it was often really simple and they weren't always great, but it added a good amount of variety and puzzles to the game and gave you things to do besides just fight things over and over again. Dungeons in Zesty/Berseria etc. just feel like massive empty randomly-generated corridors where all you do is fight enemies.

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
I wish Switch excited when I was a kid.

Would've had all the time in the world to play all those games lol. Especially some of the final fantasies
lol yeah, I've actually thought about this a lot! A lot of boomers on hardcore forums like this love to bitch about the Switch "collecting dust" but I bet it's amazing for a kid. Especially with all the major exclusives Nintendo has nowadays that they didn't back in say, the Wii era. Stuff like Splatoon, Xenoblade, ARMS, Fire Emblem (since it was really niche in the Wii era) etc. alongside huge ambitious Zelda, Mario, Smash, etc. entries and 3rd party exclusives like MH, new SE JRPG's, and potentially RE.

Edit: not to mention, everything on one platform instead of being split between handheld and console.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
This is partly why I'm so excited for the Switch Pro. We haven't had an OLED portable since the original Vita, and it was a game changer. Gaming on an OLED display is in general.
Yeah, it was generally great. While my Vita suffered from the Mura effect, I never faced other issues like burn-in and the like. The only "issue": the 3DS' screens looked even worse when playing on Vita and switching over to it. xD
Seriously spoiled me. The current Switch panel ain't bad per se, but it doesn't pop as much. I don't really mind, but I also wouldn't say no to an OLED Pro.

Dec 21, 2020
I had a thought.

Maybe the chip shortage delays the reveal and release of the Switch Pro.

Maybe this gen lasts longer as a result.

Maybe some big AAA projects are pushed back.

Maybe some publishers decide to port some classic games.

Maybe we see a remastered Xenogears and Chrono Cross.

Maybe Quintet comes back to life and puts out a Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma collection.
Maybe it's maybelline

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda related to social media harassment. A gaming streamer I follow had his dad recently pass away and now he has people coming out of the woodwork saying things like "ha your dad is dead! Get f'd" on social media and the comment sections. I just don't get how people can be like this.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Kinda related to social media harassment. A gaming streamer I follow had his dad recently pass away and now he has people coming out of the woodwork saying things like "ha your dad is dead! Get f'd" on social media and the comment sections. I just don't get how people can be like this.
There's a good Mike Tyson's quote for this.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Is this about Mikleo? Not Every game feature a bro-ship similar to Sorey and Mikleo's.
Nah it has nothing to do with the cast, I thought they were fine (if a bit bland). Zestiria is just a really mediocre Tales game pretty much across the board: bland-looking and boring areas, the junction-system making combat annoying and limiting, bad dungeon design, un-engaging plot, etc. It's just a really forgettable experience, I beat it and I remember almost nothing about it in detail.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
What. the. fuck???
That's ... Why are people this horrible?

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
What. the. fuck???
That's ... Why are people this horrible?
I feel like this is just a problem with the internet and its anonymity in general. You get a bunch of angry, weirdo, nerds that feel compelled to be assholes just cuz they can.

KilgoreWolfe

Apr 13, 2021
I feel like this is just a problem with the internet and its anonymity in general. You get a bunch of angry, weirdo, nerds that feel compelled to be assholes just cuz they can.
I think it's mainly this, yeah. And I feel like a lot of the people who complain about "cancel culture" are just upset because they're not as anonymous as they thought and the nasty shit they say is actually being associated with their real life.

switchum

Feb 3, 2020
So, so excited for tomorrow. We're giving a Switch to my mom for Mother's Day. I'm terrible at keeping secrets when it comes to gifts, so I'm really proud of myself for lasting this long. She will be so surprised and I'm sure she'll love it! My brother got her Pokémon Sword, because she fell in love with Pokémon over the last seven months, and I got her BoTW (because she's very intrigued by it) and Mario Odyssey (cuz why the heck not).

im so excited and I can't wait to give it to her! I'll give y'all an update tomorrow on what she thought of it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nah it has nothing to do with the cast, I thought they were fine (if a bit bland). Zestiria is just a really mediocre Tales game pretty much across the board: bland-looking and boring areas, the junction-system making combat annoying and limiting, bad dungeon design, un-engaging plot, etc. It's just a really forgettable experience, I beat it and I remember almost nothing about it in detail.

I was joking, Sorey and Mikleo's relationship is weird as hell.

Zestiria isn't the blandest Tales game at all, Xillia 2 had a story worse than Zestiria. But still, neither one is as yawnfest as Xenoblade 2's story. Story wise Xeno 2 is up there with Compile Heart games.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
So, so excited for tomorrow. We're giving a Switch to my mom for Mother's Day. I'm terrible at keeping secrets when it comes to gifts, so I'm really proud of myself for lasting this long. She will be so surprised and I'm sure she'll love it! My brother got her Pokémon Sword, because she fell in love with Pokémon over the last seven months, and I got her BoTW (because she's very intrigued by it) and Mario Odyssey (cuz why the heck not).

im so excited and I can't wait to give it to her! I'll give y'all an update tomorrow on what she thought of it.
The feel good story of the year.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Personally I doubt Pikmin 4 gets priority over 2D Mario. I don't doubt it's in the works, but I'd expect a 2D Mario takes precedent. Plus, we know that EPD 10 hired staff to work on a 2D platformer after they'd wrapped up work on Super Mario Maker 2.

As for people expecting things like 2D Metroid; you've got reliable people like Nate and Emily repeatedly backing that one. There's a big difference between believing stuff from reliable people and just believing any old rumour.

There's a difference Pikmin 4 we know exists, a 2D Metroid is rumored but a 2D Mario isn't even rumored.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019

I can't wait to hear an update!

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Hey, guys, is there still a Resident Evil new game coming to Switch???

I get confused with all the Outrages, Revelations, multiplayer, etc… talk about the series.
Dusk Golem (Resident Evil expert and one of the most reliable insiders on social media) said that it will come out this or next year, it's apparently very high budget and in development for many years now.

He said on Twitter that he knows a lot about it but that he and other insiders think that Village currently deserves to be in the spotlight. He'll talk about it rather soon tough ("after Village releases").

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK

Zestiria isn't the blandest Tales game at all, Xillia 2 had a story worse than Zestiria. But still, neither one is as yawnfest as Xenoblade 2's story. Story wise Xeno 2 is up there with Compile Heart games.
300px-Tom_Cat_Reading_a_Newspaper.jpg

Nah gee this aint it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
300px-Tom_Cat_Reading_a_Newspaper.jpg

Nah gee this aint it.

Feel free to disagree but I hated Xeno 2's story. Full of anime tropes and uninteresting. It doesn't need to be interesting anyway, only a select few JRPG's have good stories. Where Xeno 2 shines is its battle system.

Come think of it, Tales of Zestiria and Xeno 2 are VERY similar with Driver/Blade and Human/Seraphim systems. You literally equip a human to another human.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
yet again, facts are telling us that new super mario bros 5 is coming while pikmin continues to rot

this is why I urge you all to completely decouple yourselves from reality and instead revel in ill-conceived hope

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
My biggest complaint about more modern Tales games is that while combat (generally) has gotten better, dungeon design has taken a massive nosedive since the days of Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia. I loved how dungeons in those days always had a "theme/gimmick" of some sort; you would get a new power via the sorcerer's ring that almost worked like a dungeon item in Zelda, and the whole dungeon hinged around how you used it. Sure, it was often really simple and they weren't always great, but it added a good amount of variety and puzzles to the game and gave you things to do besides just fight things over and over again. Dungeons in Zesty/Berseria etc. just feel like massive empty randomly-generated corridors where all you do is fight enemies.
Agreed. I always believe that the main draw of the series was the snappy combat (which was fine or very good), but the dungeons were just blegh. The dungeons in general were tolerable because the combat made it somewhat fun to traverse them.

Hell, Xenoblade 2 is a mastapiece compared to Zesteria. Storywise and character wise. Okay it has Edna and she's cool, but everyone else is so damn boring.

Disagree on the Xillia 2 thing. It was a far more interesting game due to the fractured dimensions stuff. Some characters actually showed growth like Alvin (thank god) and Elise. Except Leah. Oh man did the writers like to shit on her. Poor lass. Worst Tales games remain Zesteria and Abyss. Beste Tales games are Symphona, Vesperia and Berseria.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Hell, Xenoblade 2 is a mastapiece compared to Zesteria. Storywise and character wise. Okay it has Edna and she's cool, but everyone else is so damn boring.

Disagree on the Xillia 2 thing. It was a far more interesting game due to the fractured dimensions stuff. Some characters actually showed growth like Alvin (thank god) and Elise. Except Leah. Oh man did the writers like to shit on her. Poor lass. Worst Tales games remain Zesteria and Abyss. Beste Tales games are Symphona, Vesperia and Berseria.

Xenoblade 2 tries to be a Xenosaga successor with "blade" concept but fails imo, neither Mythra or Pyra are as interesting enough as KOSMOS. Both design and character wise, they remind me Hyperdimension characters instead.

Xillia 2 is a good game overall but the main character Ludger brings the whole thing down. Worst main character in whole series, even worse than Jude. Jude sucks too, bland male protag without any characteristics, but Milla and her cute ignorance makes up for him (only correct choice). Also, Abyss as the worst game? We're talking about characters showing growth, no other JRPG protag changed within the game as much as Luke Fon Fabre. And supporting characters helped him have that change. Abyss is on the third spot of my best Tales games list, after Vesperia and Graces.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a large enough fan base for something, there are going to be idiots in it. That will never change.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
yet again, facts are telling us that new super mario bros 5 is coming while pikmin continues to rot

this is why I urge you all to completely decouple yourselves from reality and instead revel in ill-conceived hope
We'll get both, eventually. Though I personally hope the next 2D Mario is er, new, and not 'New'.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Okay. Pokémon snap got a new game, so new it's in the title to remind them.

Now it's time for the Pokémon Colosseum fans to get a new game, right folks?

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Mediking
I think this might interests you. KingK has a Pokemon retrospective series and has now reached Diamond/Pearl. Give it a try if you've got a bit more time.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of, why the fuck hasn't Square Enix released FFI - VI yet on the Switch?

Actually, scratch that, why the fuck isn't it possible to play FFI - VI on any modern system, period?

The fuck is wrong with you, SE?

Status
Not open for further replies.