What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
Tackiness is the best. Worrying about being tacky leads to a boring life.

Give me funky furniture, give me non-minimalistic design, give me see through consoles, give me colored consoles, give me music on my game operating systems and themes.

Life is short, I want to have fun and look at things I enjoy.
I'm not super opposed to fun looks, I would just like the fun looks to be GOOD

this post brought to you by beleaguered designer gang

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned it before but this is how I had my 3DS set up

hni_0032sulcb.jpg

I'd always sit and enjoy all my various collected Isabelles, I'd enjoy the nice green colors, the music. On my PS4 I have various FFVII themes I use, I'll take in the music and enjoy the art a lot of times.

What's considered good and good taste is always shifting. What was considered terrible 20 years ago suddenly comes into fashion and everyone apes it. Until people get sick of it and things change.

That's why I think it's more interesting to not worry about what is currently the standard but instead to build your own unique taste.

Thread announcements
OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Hey y'all, just wanted to let you know that the OP power has already gone to my head, and as such I will be creating my first threadmark for a couple of announcements:

1. There will be a thread poll, but I'm gonna employ a wait-and-see approach. If the thread moves quickly enough, I'm likely to do something about what we expect to see in the Direct; if it moves more slowly, I might instead do when we see the Direct

2. I made an error when I created the OT which I noticed and edited immediately. It wasn't even a small error, either, and I've been working on this thread for days lol. Super embarrassing, but I don't think anyone saw. I will confess all at the end of the thread!

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I use Subway discussion as a defence mechanism, don't take that away from me!
Haha, I would never 😊
What's considered good and good taste is always shifting. What was considered terrible 20 years ago suddenly comes into fashion and everyone apes it. Until people get sick of it and things change.

That's why I think it's more interesting to not worry about what is currently the standard but instead to build your own unique taste.
Your point is made even more compelling by the fact that your 3DS looks AWESOME

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I have something of a vermin's brain that is overwhelmed by overly detailed design and heavy skeuomorphism

cleanliness and simplicity are the principle concerns of design to the raccoon brain

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
mazi did you actually see it? You were early enough that you might have, to be honest. Feel free to blow up my spot haha

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I hope the Anniversary Edition of Skyrim will be coming to the Switch along with the other consoles and they are saving the announcement for the upcoming Direct for more hype.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
When I was OP I mandated it was a Springsteen stan thread, OPs should run mad with power more often

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think it is? they may be distributing physical copies but the game is published by beth/zenimax
I'm not sure what's the exact deal between them but Nintendo is definitely involved. It's the main reason why Skyrim Switch only gets 50% discount while other versions go even lower.

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Speaking of Skyrim, is anyone here a fan of DougDoug? I basically die of laughter every time I watch his videos, I thoroughly recommend him

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
that's just how zenimax operates on switch. they never put doom on sale for more than 50% off either.
Nah they do. I remember Wolf 2 having 60% off while Skyrim still was 50%. I suspect Doom 2016 also has Nintendo involvement. This is the only explanation of the whole situation, including Skyrim Switch missing the upgrade.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Dread it, run from it, SwOLED arrives all the same

are you experiencing... OLED Dread?
I'm not experiencing nearly enough Dread

Seconded

Sincerely a fellow beleaguered designer

When I was OP I mandated it was a Springsteen stan thread, OPs should run mad with power more often
Oh I definitely let it go all the way to my head. The record thread speeds is my greatest achievement.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
I have something of a vermin's brain that is overwhelmed by overly detailed design and heavy skeuomorphism

cleanliness and simplicity are the principle concerns of design to the raccoon brain
absolutely same. like I'm not obsessed with minimalism in a vacuum, but streamlining things is like an accessibility thing for me.

yeah, no, for sure, and I do have a lot of unique tastes. I'm not trying to tailor to a "current standard" so much as I'm trying to find one single theme I like for the system. just one. that's all I want and I am not finding it.

like the default blue is fine, but not my favorite, and it's kind of starting to grate on me

being able to change colors? oh cool, good, yeah! but why are all of the icons still blue????

okay, so I can have custom icons if I spend money on a theme? kinda grody but fine

oh, so custom icons are actually a bad and inconsistent idea in most cases? no sweat, I'll try to find some that are better

okay, so we finally have plain white icons with no boxes, which is what I want. Cool! but somebody programmed a bunch of weak-ass single circle particles over this over-edited space image, which looks really bad and makes it all extremely busy when the goal of the plain white icons was to make it less busy

okay, we finally have a subdued image but now instead of plain white icons there are just....... glossy angled skeuomorphic shapes?? and nobody changed the folder icon which is now blue again on this clashing set of choices

everyone likes the Firewatch theme? cool! oh god it changes constantly? I just want one color scheme please, I'm trying to make the UI less busy

I liked Journey, let's see if that's toned down! Oh hell yeah, it is! but then the custom icons are... there's a lot going on there. but maybe that's fine! Wait. No it's not. The background turns yellow in menus. It's harder for me to read, so this isn't going to work.

oh, I can use my own image! ....... and all of the icons are unchangeable blue boxes once again

oh this is more subtle, okay! somebody's mediocre beat is on it, but I could turn off the music. The icons are white like I wanted, but... wh... why is there a gray transparent overlay behind them with ROUNDED EDGES when the navigator is a SQUARE BOX??

okay!! we've got nature images!!!!! maybe that's fine!!!!!! oh it's at a slightly sped-up framerate to be like "60fps lol" in the menu which is NOT CALMING and all the white icons now have UNEVEN BLACK STROKES around them and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I know it's not a huge deal and is just my own damn problem, but like...

are there any themes? at all? that don't do weird shit like this?

like I feel like I'm losing it over here, I just want it to be as visually chill as possible and cut down on the clashing. Game icons are fine, it's mostly the PS icons bugging me, and they'd be fine if the custom themes weren't so louuuud

esoteric rant out

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
don't mean to bring this up again but Warioware has received no updates since it's E3 reveal, despite being 3 months away. Compare this to the Miitopia port, which got a lengthy overview trailer nearly 2 months before launch.

I'm going to be 100% flabbergasted if we don't get an update before the end of the week, this specific kind of radio silence is basically unheard of from Nintendo (and I really hope it doesn't mean bad things for the game's quality)
to be fair it got a lengthy treehouse segment. They'll probably mention it again, but I don't expect that much new footage, if any — just reminders. It seems to have it's own momentum, and I don't feel like them not showing anything new about it is cause for concern. Hell, they've even been tweeting about it a fair bit.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh Doom Slayer Collection is $35 on the eshop. Hopefully it will get decent sales in the future so I can actually get Doom 2016 for less than $30

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm gonna keep doing this fucking joke until people either laugh and call me the funniest poster alive or actually listen to and enjoy the song

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The very first Nintendo Speculation/Discussion OT was started on Feb 7, 2019 (that is if you don't count the original vault-worthy wild ride that is this megathread).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
don't take this the wrong way man but why is your kid so fucking creepy lmao

this is not the first story about your daughter saying something chilling

She only seems creepy because I only share the creepy things she says with you people.

But she's like 2 years late with this "sickness" prophecy.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
the mambo no fives will continue until morale continues

here's a whole album too

www.youtube.com

高中正義 Masayoshi Takanaka - All of me [Full Album]

without "sexy dance" ごめんなさい

Derachi you like smooth Japanese stuff, right? I may be mistaking you for someone else

The very first Nintendo Speculation/Discussion OT was started on Feb 7, 2019 (that is if you don't count the original vault-worthy wild ride that is this megathread).
I remember being in high school study hall reading the megathread when the cheebo and hot dog baby tweets dropped, it was an incredible moment in time

Status
Not open for further replies.