Status
Not open for further replies.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
Why would you do such a thing?
retroactive yeah moderation. Felt like I've been too fast and loose with the yeahs lately. I wanted to retcon myself into someone who showed care and restraint rather than constantly feeding the abyss.

But now I see too clearly that I cannot contain who I am. It blew up in my face. I am so, so, so, so sorry.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
damn this threads like checking in the status of a broken ice cream machine at mcdonalds

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I really hope that prime remake rumour is true because after Dread, all I want is more Metroid right now.

May 21, 2021
In the wake of Metroid Dread's success, what is the likelihood Nintendo fast-tracks a Switch port of Samus Returns?

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
My new OLED Switch won't turn on. Haven't dropped it or anything. I know how the machine works but it just isn't turning on. Anyone have this issue? YouTube'd it and one video popped up. Trying that solution of charging without the joycons. Just wondering if anyone else out there dealt with this.

May 21, 2021
My new OLED Switch won't turn on. Haven't dropped it or anything. I know how the machine works but it just isn't turning on. Anyone have this issue? YouTube'd it and one video popped up. Trying that solution of charging without the joycons. Just wondering if anyone else out there dealt with this.
Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds and then release it.

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
Hi all, I bought the oled model. I removed the protective screen that was preapplieda...and put a glass screen protector on I bought from amazon...according to Google that was a dumb move?

Is there a way to buy that protector nintendo preinstalled?

Bobdapeach

Jun 15, 2019
As someone who's followed ACNH datamines, I think the safe bet for their Direct would be additional crops and shrubbery, another Nook's Cranny upgrade, an additional museum room (shop?), gyroid implementation, and missing villagers - including the Zelda and Splatoon villagers - being added (I'd imagine this to be done via Amiibo cards, but maybe not exclusively). Either an expansion to the island, or an off-shore Island to visit, as there was a larger island found in the data a while back, as well.

I don't think Kappa has ever even been hinted at, though.
Thanks for the response! I've been following the datamines too so that's about what I expect, too. Was just hoping maybe there was something more concrete than just datamine speculation.
Not too long now tho

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Era left and yet there's still a strong Xbox Era presence. Steam Era left and yet the Steam Deck and PC Era threads are still active. Nintendo Era left and yet the Metroid Thread is one of the most active, if not the most active thread on the forum.

The reality is that it was a clique within each of these communities that left. What is left behind is a ton of both Sony, Xbox, PC, Nintendo and multiplatform gamers. About the only difference is this thread is much slower because there was a really strong group of lovely people who used this thread as their personal discord, and they've unfortunately mostly left.
Indeed.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Damn I didn't realise the Switch had had such a strong year.

bRnii3b.jpg

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
You know what, I think overall a lot of people kind of really exaggerate how poorly Nintendo first party games for the Switch run, I see a lot of comments that Nintendo's first party games all run like trash when I think LA Remake and Age of Calamity are the only ones that do have big and annoying issues in both handheld and docked mode. There are some games that maybe have resolution issues but that's not the same really, or others that would be cool at 60fps instead of 30fps but they are not horrible or anything.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
You know what, I think overall a lot of people kind of really exaggerate how poorly Nintendo first party games for the Switch run, I see a lot of comments that Nintendo's first party games all run like trash when I think LA Remake and Age of Calamity are the only ones that do have big and annoying issues in both handheld and docked mode. There are some games that maybe have resolution issues but that's not the same really, or others that would be cool at 60fps instead of 30fps but they are not horrible or anything.
Links Awakening isn't even that bad, it's just some frame drops here or there. Age of Calamity is flat out awful though. That should have been a Switch 2 game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Links Awakening isn't even that bad, it's just some frame drops here or there. Age of Calamity is flat out awful though. That should have been a Switch 2 game.
the weird thing about Age of Calamity is that back on the PS2, there were 60fps Warriors games, but they went back to 30fps. feels like they could have definitely gotten higher res and higher framerates, but that probably would have came at the expense of AI and draw calls

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Personally I'm glad they released the game when they were finished developing it so I could play it instead of waiting 2 or 3 years for no reason.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
So uh...the recent ownership change killed any enthusiasm I had left of posting here.

I'm down to join famiboards but my work uses gmail. Anything somebody can do?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
the weird thing about Age of Calamity is that back on the PS2, there were 60fps Warriors games, but they went back to 30fps. feels like they could have definitely gotten higher res and higher framerates, but that probably would have came at the expense of AI and draw calls
Its with the engine change I think. Before DW6 we got good performing Musou games and all was good. Then they changed the engine and combat with 6 and it flat out sucked, 7 swooped in to save the combat (well, 6 Xtreme Legends/Empires was first) but the frame rates sat at these uncapped FPS' that would horribly fluctuate between 20s and 60FPS... and for whatever reason, when the series then moved to then next gen consoles (PS4) the frame rate was just as bad if not worse in places, they focused on all the wrong things (while a fellow PS3 port - Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin had rock solid 60FPS and the difference showed greatly) and the Musou games performances still suffered bad. DW9 still has inconsistent FPS and screen tearing when run on the PS5.
Its a pity that Hyrule Warriors 2 was treated with as little care in terms of performance as others. I can tell the game is great gameplay wise (more engaging compared to Sengoku Musou 5 for example) but the performance really hurts it (its so damn bad). I cant believe it was released in this state to be honest (well, I cant believe Nintendo would ok that, I can believe Koei Tecmo would release a game in that sate)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Its with the engine change I think. Before DW6 we got good performing Musou games and all was good. Then they changed the engine and combat with 6 and it flat out sucked, 7 swooped in to save the combat (well, 6 Xtreme Legends/Empires was first) but the frame rates sat at these uncapped FPS' that would horribly fluctuate between 20s and 60FPS... and for whatever reason, when the series then moved to then next gen consoles (PS4) the frame rate was just as bad if not worse in places, they focused on all the wrong things (while a fellow PS3 port - Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin had rock solid 60FPS and the difference showed greatly) and the Musou games performances still suffered bad. DW9 still has inconsistent FPS and screen tearing when run on the PS5.
Its a pity that Hyrule Warriors 2 was treated with as little care in terms of performance as others. I can tell the game is great gameplay wise (more engaging compared to Sengoku Musou 5 for example) but the performance really hurts it (its so damn bad). I cant believe it was released in this state to be honest (well, I cant believe Nintendo would ok that, I can believe Koei Tecmo would release a game in that sate)

Is this also one of the games that benefit from being played on an emulator like Dread? Or is this one harder to emulate?

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Played through the Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars demo. I've got mixed thoughts on it.

I really liked the gentle voice of the narrator, and the way the cards give a kinda fog-of-war where you can't see the whole landscape or dungeon ahead of you. But I did feel the need to make everything out of cards slowed battle down to a crawl. The use of a small crystal pool for magic points reminds me of stuff like 4 Heroes of Light, where it's either a high mp skill or a low one and no need for the granularity in between. Which is elegant, but does mean some spells are clearly more effective than the others. I never felt short of those crystals either- not like you can stock them between battles.

Maybe it just needed a fast-forward tool or something.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been brought up elsewhere in the thread, but I'm getting the impression that House of the Dead release will be quietly delayed. They haven't given very many details since the original announcement, despite vaguely listing "2021" as its release date.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
This will probably be my final post on this website.

This thread got me through a lot, and through it I got to meet a lot of people I have no hesitation in calling friends. However, for reasons that are obvious if you've been paying attention, I'm done with this website. I won't make a big sappy good-bye post. I'll just say some stuff and then be off.

- I was next in-line to make an OT. I am no longer going to do that. I know a lot people were excited to see what I'd come up with for a thread title. I would have come up with it last minute as to be extremely timely. At this point, consider OT28's title "End of an Era."

- As is standard for OPs to mention a cause they want to promote in the title, I would have thrown "Take Care of Yourself" onto the end, with the paragraph in the OP mentioning that your own mental health should take priority over things like video games, forums, etc. We are (still) in the middle of a pandemic that has taken countless tolls on us all, so while there are plenty of injustices in the world that deserve your attention, your own mental health should not be placed second to any of them. This was also in the wake of some high profile community members leaving for personal reasons, so I would have included a call to take breaks/outright leave if you think a forum is bad for you. I would have also included calls-to-action to maybe put video games down for a bit and maybe go outside if you could. I care too much about the people here to let them be unhappy or unwell.

- Wii's Ports was never a good title. I'm glad it never got used.

I think that's all I have to say. Goodbye, Era. You'll know where to find me if you need me (the line at Subway) (also FamiBoards)

Eat Fresh Forever.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

This thread got me through a lot, and through it I got to meet a lot of people I have no hesitation in calling friends. However, for reasons that are obvious if you've been paying attention, I'm done with this website. I won't make a big sappy good-bye post. I'll just say some stuff and then be off.

- I was next in-line to make an OT. I am no longer going to do that. I know a lot people were excited to see what I'd come up with for a thread title. I would have come up with it last minute as to be extremely timely. At this point, consider OT28's title "End of an Era."

- As is standard for OPs to mention a cause they want to promote in the title, I would have thrown "Take Care of Yourself" onto the end, with the paragraph in the OP mentioning that your own mental health should take priority over things like video games, forums, etc. We are (still) in the middle of a pandemic that has taken countless tolls on us all, so while there are plenty of injustices in the world that deserve your attention, your own mental health should not be placed second to any of them. This was also in the wake of some high profile community members leaving for personal reasons, so I would have included a call to take breaks/outright leave if you think a forum is bad for you. I would have also included calls-to-action to maybe put video games down for a bit and maybe go outside if you could. I care too much about the people here to let them be unhappy or unwell.

I think that's all I have to say. Goodbye, Era. You'll know where to find me if you need me (the line at Subway) (also FamiBoards)

Eat Fresh Forever.
This is the (Sub)way.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Imma join Derachi here in posting my last message on this site. It's been one hell of a ride. I know I've never been the most popular or consistent poster, but I'd like to think that I contributed something worthwhile here. Thanks to the remaining users here for helping me get through some pretty tough times.

The final Magic-Man/Lintemuth-Studios recommendations (because that's probably what I'm most known for):
  • Metroid Dread, for if you're looking to feel powerful
  • Celeste, if you're looking for a great story and gameplay about overcoming all odds
  • Breath of the Wild, if you need to just get lost
  • A Short Hike, if you're looking for a wholesome game for when you're feeling down
  • Tetris 99, to work your way through some rage. For some reason this helps me when I'm pissed.
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts, for a kickass soundtrack, a beautiful game, and something to distract you
That'll be all from me. This has been the "Animal Crossing is niche and Donkey Kong sucks" guy, signing off.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Eat Fresh Forever.

I'll take an Italian BMT to go!

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
I think I might be in the minority but I get why they are charging more for N64 and genesis. They weren't ever going to keep it at 1 price if they were going to add more systems
I think it's less to do with adding more systems, and more to do with adding third-party titles. Those require licensing deals, which Nintendo wants to offset with the increased cost of subscription. And I think this idea will be reinforced when (if) they announce Game Boy games are being added to the base subscription tier.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
A note on Famiboard's policies in light of the news here today from Chaotic Neutral over there...

Our mission statement is founded on the principle of a community by the community and for the community. The site is run by members of the community and not by third parties and will not be sold to one.

Once I figure out how to clear out my past content I will also be fully ducking out from here, thanks for the years of great memories all and see some of you on the other side.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how much longer I'll be posting here, and I'm not interested in migrating to specific forums when I want to talk about gaming in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.