• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I recently (well, last night) beat Metroid Zero Mission, and last year beat Super Metroid for the first time. My only other experience with Metroid was Prime, which I beat 15 years ago and Prime 3, which I liked but not enough to beat

However, I think I generally prefer the 2D set up for Metroid, although both styles are currently supported by Nintendo with a new side scroller released last year and a new Prime on the way

I also beat two Zelda games last year, the incredible BoTW and the also incredible Link's Awakening. I'm wondering if we'll still see new top down Zelda titles now there isn't really a handheld/console split, but while I prefer the 3D titles, the 2D Zelda formula is still fantastic. There have been two recent threads on here about Link's Awakening and while I disagree with those who want a remake, I think there is still interest in that type of Zelda experience

Finally we come to Mario. While it's been a while since we got a new 2D Mario title, I expect we will see more titles. I prefer the 3D games to the 2D ones, but the 2D Mario games are still fantastic

I find it interesting how Nintendo still support their longest running series' with both new 3D titles and older 2D (or side scrolling/top down) versions based on the older games in the series

So which type of Mario/Zelda/Metroid do you prefer, Era, and why?

Last edited:

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
3D unquestionably, I take huge issue with their 2D titles because they tend to not have the ambition of the 2D titles from the SNES era (ALBW being one of few exceptions): New Super Mario Brothers, for example, made no attempt to build on Super Mario World.

And so yes, I do consider their 2D titles to be lazy.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
2D for Metroid. Metroidvanias have been one of my all time favorite genres, and with the Metroid series establishing that, it only seems fitting to have more of it. Plus, I'm not that big on first person games.

I think 3D for Zelda games. Wind Waker and BOTW are my all time faves in the series mainly for their exploration and combat. I still love the 2D games greatly, namely the handheld ones (still need to take the time and finish Oracle of Ages), but they feel like shorter adventures and don't last as long for me.

I can take either for Mario. The series has proven it can shine bright in either capacity.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
2D Mario, 3D Zelda, 2D Metroid.

In general I like 2D more because I am a HUGE fan of couch coop so this beats anything (to the point that the second they announce it for splatoon I will buy it) and 2d games are MUCH more common to have coop (see the next yoshi and kirby games)
Like 3D world had couch coop so it beats Mario 64 for me. Odyssey had shitty couch coop =P

Zelda hardly ever had coop, but when it had it was 2d spinoffs so the only mainline zelda with coop is Wind Waker.

Metroid never had coop on a mainline game so 2d it is.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
3D by far except Super Metroid which is one of the best games of all time. But I prefer the Prime trilogy to all other 2D games

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the 3D titles, but their 2D counterparts are also great, especially the Zelda ones.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
2D for Mario not counting the New Super Mario bros. series.

Metroid is a mixed bag. It's better in 2D 90% of the time but Metroid Prime is a masterpiece.

For Zelda 2D is easily better. Half the 3D Zelda's are poor with padding or other problems (Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess), while 2D games don't have that.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I prefer 3D for Mario & Zelda but 2D for Metroid

2017 was a pretty great year for me

Krypt

Nov 10, 2017
Center of the World
Well i prefer 2.5d like Mario 3d land or world. i think that works best for Mario.
Metroid would like(i know am gonna get hate for this) the engine they used for other m with super Metroid atmosphere with excellent scan story game-play.
And Zelda i want perfer full 3d like BOTW.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
With the exception of Super Mario World and, if it counts, Yoshi's Island, I prefer 3D Mario.
Much prefer 3D Metroid to 2D, with the caveat that I came to the NES Metroids late and hence they've dated and I haven't played the GBA 2D Metroids.
On balance I prefer 3D Zeldas although I have a lot of love for LTTP, The Oracles and Minish cap.

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3D - zelda WW , metroid prime and m64 are nintendo's best games

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3D. I always find the 2D games boring and never finish any of their games.

Never played Metroid, can't say my opinion on that one.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Mario - Ignoring World, since it's still the best Mario game, I prefer the 3D games.
Metroid - 3D
Zelda - I've never been able to finish a 3D Zelda game. Always get right near the end and burn out. The 2D games, however, are all fantastic. Oracle of Ages is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'm gonna have to go with 2D here.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
3D for Mario. The 2D Mario games just feel unexciting to me, especially the later ones which play it really safe.

3D for Zelda. 2D Zelda is fun too but I strongly prefer the 3D ones, probably because they tend to be more ambitious with story and scope.

Both for Metroid. Can't really choose one over the other.

2D for Donkey Kong. Unlike latest Mario games, Donkey Kong 2D games are very exciting with their faster pace and much more challenging level design.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i love them both. Though, for Mario games i lean a little bit more on the 2D side. I hope we get new 2D entries for these games. I know we got a new Metroid already, but i want more.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
2D Marios. Especially tons of fun in co-op. Never really liked the 3D Mario games. 3D World was just boring, although Odyssey does look fun to play. SM64 was the only 3D Mario game I really enjoyed.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3D for Mario. The 2D Mario games just feel unexciting to me, especially the later ones which play it really safe.

3D for Zelda. 2D Zelda is fun too but I strongly prefer the 3D ones, probably because they tend to be more ambitious with story and scope.

Both for Metroid. Can't really choose one over the other.

2D for Donkey Kong. Unlike latest Mario games, Donkey Kong 2D games are very exciting with their faster pace and much more challenging level design.
Donkey Kong is cheating, they've had just one 3D game in the form of DK64 right ? And that sucked

Take5GiantSteps

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Up until this year I would always say 3D Mario and 2D Zelda. Breath of the Wild changes my feelings toward 3D Zelda games as a whole though.

Filament Star

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3D easily. Though I really like 2D Metroid, and 2D Mario can be good. I've never been a fan of 2D Zelda though. I've tried to play LTTP several times and just can't get into it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I straight up can't play 2D Mario games. I'm absolutely terrible at them; can never even make it through the first world because I just fall into abysses like I've never even touched a video game before. It's really embarrassing, and eventually the frustration gets to me and I just give up. I love 3D Mario, though.

I feel like I enjoy top-down Zelda and 3D Zelda almost equally, but ALBW is my favourite in the series so let's say top-down.

Definitely 2D for Metroid. The Primes are great, but Samus feels so slow and heavy compared to her 2D self.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer 3D for Mario and Zelda, while for Metroid I've preferred the 2D titles. I love the 2D and 3D games for all three series.

3D for Mario because I love the freedom and exploration that the 3D titles offer. 3D Mario also tends to be full of new mechanics and ideas while 2D Mario has stagnated with the NSMB series

3D for Zelda because it allows for more complicated dungeons and exciting boss battles.

2D for Metroid because of the perspective and speedy exploration.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Generally 2D. Odyssey is the only 3D Mario game I truely love, so it's an easy choice for that series. Whenever they release a 2D Zelda, I'm excited, but I do still prefer the 3D ones on the whole. Most of that is also because I prefer the more recent Zeldas over the earlier ones. Then there's Metroid which I enjoy roughly in equal amounts in 2D and 3D. I do see the issue that Samus usually has trouble being translated into 3D. The Prime games made her a lot slower and combat focussed, which is fine, but feels less like Samus to me.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Definitely 2D for Mario and Metroid. SM3DW is actually the only 3D Mario game that I really love, and I've never been terribly into 3D Metroid. I don't dislike any of the 3D Metroid games (even Other M), but they don't get me hyped.

For Zelda though, I like 2D and 3D games pretty evenly. Maybe slightly leaning towards 3D. I love them both.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Before BOTW I would have said 2D Zelda now I am not so sure.

Super Metroid was never equaled in 3D so I will go with 2D.

And I could never choose between 2D and 3D Mario. Mario has amazing titles in all dimensions.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
For Zelda I prefer 2D. Love both styles but a lot of the 3D games have cumbersome sections or controls. The 2D games are just much snappier and control smoother. You never have to fight with a camera.

For Mario I barely care about the 2D games. I love the ambitious level designs and themes in the 3D games, plus for 2D games Donkey Kong has way better physics to my taste.

I've barely played any of the Metroid games do no comment there, but that will be amended soon.

Oct 26, 2017
I almost always prefer Nintendo's 3D output over their 2D output and I feel the same for all three of those franchises, albeit with Metroid, I'd say the 2D entries aren't too far off from the 3D entries

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
2D for Metroid. Metroidvanias have been one of my all time favorite genres, and with the Metroid series establishing that, it only seems fitting to have more of it. Plus, I'm not that big on first person games.

I think 3D for Zelda games. Wind Waker and BOTW are my all time faves in the series mainly for their exploration and combat. I still love the 2D games greatly, namely the handheld ones (still need to take the time and finish Oracle of Ages), but they feel like shorter adventures and don't last as long for me.

I can take either for Mario. The series has proven it can shine bright in either capacity.
This. So sad the Samus Returns did not make it to Switch.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
At this point, 3D Mario and 3D zelda

2D zelda is great and 2D Mario is good too but the new super Mario bros have become stale unfortunately.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
3D Mario by a wide margin. Not really interested in 2D Mario anymore tbh. Skipped Mario Maker altogether.

3D Zelda.

Prime is my favourite game of all time, but I have to say 2D for Metroid. Splitting hairs though, and I want both forms to keep coming.